- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Eventually, a new normal settled across the planet. The remaining scientists were actively working with DNA samples gathered from the children in order to attempt to probe at what exactly had caused the insane growth to begin with. Law and order had by and large stabilized to primarily revolve around lots of small settlements with a few children acting as godlike patrons. Larger organized governments were few and far between, with all but the largest superpowers having collapsed a while back. It was inevitable, as whatever military and nuclear capacity most of the world had was mostly annihilated in the prior chaos, with the remaining capacity mainly serving a subordinate role to the might of the children. The children around the world, in turn, did their best to adapt in the face of an overwhelmingly difficult situation. Some children, in an attempt to stay as close to their friends and family as possible and ensure as little harm came to them as possible, took to crawling as close to the ground as possible, drawing dirt circles on the ground to mark territory and ensuring that no harm would come to the people. Others told stories to the youngest about the "invisible people" below them, and how they provided for them and were in fact their family and friends. Many children eventually took to traversing the oceans by foot, as the majority of the ocean surface was easily within their reach. There were some that even made residence there, as all the girls whose gender identity was ignored by whatever caused this massive growth united against the overwhelming majority of boys their size, all of them getting to be known as "the water ladies" by the ones they called "the land men".

Each and every settlement set aside as many plots of land of land as they could for the children, the process resembling more ceremonial tribute than an actual meal. Nothing was off limits - slaughtered cows and corn bales alike were offered, countless cattle and crops to feed a town presented. It all ended the same way in the end though - a monolithic hand or two, scooping up every last bit of the offering along with some of the surrounding land, and all of it hurtling towards their mouths in one bite, barely enough for a morning, but was all that a day could provide. There were times when even this much had to be split up among the children, but what else was there to do. More than a few children became savage in nature, deciding instead to hunt down the most plentiful and filling food around: other kids. They hunted down as many as they could with nothing but the broken-off tips of mountains and were more than willing to attack the minuscule settlements in order to get their way. Fortunately, though the children now have to contend with infighting, they have in turn adapted to swiftly deal with it. Every now and then, the planes would have to be careful to maneuver around the children when they got into these conflicts. It was simple a fact of life that these would happen, and there would be nothing anyone could really do about it now that the planet wasn't theirs anymore.

Though in isolated places like the UK, there was a sort of relationship established between the mountain-sized children and the tiny humans, such a bond was not guaranteed everywhere. More often than not, in more expansive areas like the US, where land was more plentiful and available, an attitude of indifference to the people down below prevailed. After all, it's not like they could actually really interact with the people they once called their family and friends without causing death and destruction to them. The reality was that they weren't human anymore - humans were effectively germs to them, and so long as that was true and food and space was still limited, their survival would take precedent over all else.

It was in places like this that communication towers and guardians and cities were little more than a fantasy, a potential dream that could have been. It wasn't like anyone could really check to make sure - most communication towers were down as a cause of catastrophe, meaning that no one who couldn't break through the clouds could really make contact beyond the outside world. There were always exceptions to the rule, the types of shy folks that never quite got over their human attachments and made sure to protect larger settlements with their life, regardless of if they could actually interact with them. For many others, it was effectively a child squatting very protectively over large patches of grey on the ground. The extent of their courtesy would be to not go out, as few of the adults knew what drives them to protect them for this long, or perhaps more worringly, what it would take for them to lose said protection.

Besides, it wasn't like many people were stupid enough to stick around outside at this point, with many having decided long ago to take their chances underground, leaving the surface world mostly deserted of any and all life, bar a few maniacs. Around the world, there were groups of scavengers looking out for themselves and scavenging the land for any remaining supplies to bring back underground that haven't been completely trodden over, occasionally stopping in the few settlements that had the blessing of protection from the giant gods who overlooked them. Still, perhaps even in this world, miracles could still happen.

Chapter End Notes:

I honestly would be thankful for more ideas to add to this, I'm having a hard time thinking of what to do, but don't want to throw away the concept.