- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Second chapter! I was in a rush of energy, so I expect the next chapters to be more far appart in time. Anyways , enjoy!

The girl and the borrower were sitting in the counter of Sophie's kitchen. The small apartment consisted only of two rooms: a living room and a bedroom, separated by a wall. The living room doubled as a kitchen, with a counter and seats for two, and the bathroom was located in the bedroom.


Sophie had furnished the place surprisingly well considering the mess. The living had a big sofa, a coffee table and a TV. Her bedroom had a king-size bed and a desk, where Sophie's high end gaming pc was proudly located. 


After their somewhat awkward introduction, Sophie carefully carried Sunshine to the counter while she opened the door. As it turned out, the reason she had picked the hoodie up in the first place was that she needed to receive a package.


That package was a big hamburger, with extra large soda and fries. 


She started eating as soon as she sat down. Once again, Sunshine broke the silence.


"So, you don't have any questions"


"Uh? No" said Sophie, with her mouth full of food.


"No? You met a borrower and you ain't even a bit curious?" Said Sunshine.


Sophie swallowed, rather in a rush.


"Actually… I mean… I… uh…" she tried to say.


"I'm guessing my existence must be kind of a shock to you" said Sunshine. 


"No… I mean… yes!" Answered Sophie.


"Yes I'm a shock or yes you're curious?"


"B-both!" Sophie said, and inmediatly took a long, loud sip from her extra large soda.


"Well, we are a race of sentient, small people that live hidden from the-"


"There are more of you HERE?" interrupted Sophie. 


"N-no, I'm the only one for now" answered Sunshine, taken aback by Sophie's sudden rise in volume "a-and please don't interrupt me like that… it's kinda rude"


"S-sorry… I'm not used to this.. "


"Talking with a borrower?" Asked Sunshine 


"Talking with people face to face in general" said Sophie, taking another long sip, and avoiding eye contact.


"Are you alright?" Said Sunshine 


"Yeah, yeah, sorry, don't worry, just… please, continue" said Sophie, stumbling on her words.


Sunshine took a good look at the human. This was the first time she could take her time to examine her thoroughly. At first she hadn't noticed the human's troubled face. Minutes ago she was scared for her life, until she realised this particular human was… cooperative, to say the least. 


No, that wasn't it. Sophie was almost intimidated. 


Oh, to be intimidated by a borrower… 


Sunshine savoured the thought as she looked at Sophie. For the first time she noticed her baggy eyes, her messy hair, and the way she avoided making eye contact when she was nervous. 


It was… cute.


"S-stop" said Sophie, breaking Sunshine's trance.


"Ah, what?" Said Sunshine, taken aback. 


"You've b-been staring at me for like a minute" 


"Sorry, it's just… you're the first human I've met so…"


"R-really?" With interest, Sophie returned eye contact. 


"Well we borrowers tend to avoid human contact because… we… uh… borrow their stuff"


"You mean steal their stuff" said Sophie


"What? No! I said borrow!"


"H-have you ever returned something?"


"Well I… yeah, sometimes?"


Sophie giggled. Holy shit, it was the cutest giggle Sunshine had ever heard, but she repressed the thought as soon as it appeared. 


The human stood up gently, opened one of the kitchen's drawers and took out a small knife. Sunshine's self preservation instincts fired up, tensing, until she realised it was a simple bread knife.


Sophie went back to the counter, and took out a single french frie from her extra large side. Immediately, she cut a small piece of it.


And gave it to Sunshine. 


What was this weird feeling? Gratitude towards a human? Sunshine had heard stories about humans but never had she even thought of one being generous towards a borrower. This was unexpected, this was…


Oh god, there was the fucking giggle again.


"Y-you're blushing!" Said Sophie.


"I… I'M NOT!" snapped Sunshine. "It's just… humans don't give me food, they don't give me anything… why?"


"Because you looked hungry, and I f-figured you scavenged for food so…"


Sunshine took the small snack. It was warm, she had eaten this stuff before, just never… fresh.


It was delicious. Crunchy, salty, warm…


Oh god it was fucking salty. 


What would she do now? Ask Sophie for water? But she already gave her this! How did you politely ask a human for something? How-


Nevermind, Sophie was serving water in a bottle cap, which she placed right in front of Sunshine. 


"I f-figured you would need some water so…"


"Thanks, how did you know?" said Sunshine.


Sophie gestured at Sunshine's face with her finger. 


"Your face, you looked like it was too salty" she said "S-sorry I always ask for extra salt…"


"It's fine Sophie, thanks"


The two sat eating, without talking, for some minutes. This time, the silence wasn't awkward at all. This time, Sunshine felt that she enjoyed the company of the human.


"I want us to go on a date" said the borrower. 


Sophie almost choked with her food.


"Wh-what? you? A-are you a-a-asking m-me out!?"


Sunshine thought that she wasn't thinking straight. Her rational side screamed at her. Humans are unpredictable brutish creatures, you barely know this one, you can't just ask someone out if you know them just for minutes.


Her emotional side, on the other hand…


"Yeah, I'm asking you out"


"W-why!?"


Sunshine smiled at the stumbling titan in front of her.


"Do I need a good reason to ask you out, beyond the fact that I believe it would be fun?"


"No… I mean I'm flattered but… uh… I haven't been on dates in a while so…"


"Is this a yes or a no?"


Sophie blushed.


"It's a yes"


"Good, let's go"


"Wha- NOW!?"


"Yeah?"


"It's 1 a.m.!"


"So?"


"I-It's cold outside!"


"Then keep me somewhere warm"


Sophie mumbled something. She was stumbling over her words so much they were completely ininteligible. Then, she let out a long sigh. 


"I'll go get my coat"


----------


Oh god. What was she thinking?


Minutes ago, she realised there was a race of small people living within her world. One of these people, apparently, was her new roommate. That very little person then asked her out on a date.


And she said yes.


Sophie returned to her room an headed to her closet. Retrieving a winter coat, boots and a scarf from her pile of clothes, the girl set out on a true quest to find her gloves.


An exercise in futility. 


With a shameful sigh, she called upon the only help she could get at the moment, and returned to her living room. 


"Uhhh Sunshine?" She said, half expecting the borrower to have made some sort of escape already, to just have asked her out in an attempt to get out of the room so that she could run off to some hole in the walls. But on the other side, she prayed it was not the case.


And it wasn't, Sunshine was still there, eating another french frie. 


"Yeah?" She asked. 


"By chance, have you seen a pair of gloves on the floor?"


"Underbed" she responded, her mouth full of food.


"Thanks!" Sophie said, scurrying back to her bedroom, getting on the floor and under her bed and … indeed, the borrower was right. 


She put everything on. And returned to the living room, and to her date.


Sunshine stopped eating the moment she laid eyes upon her.


"S-something's wrong?" Asked Sophie. 


"No" said Sunshine "It's just that you look adorable dressed like that"


Sophie had to use all her willpower to not let out a pleased sigh. 


"W-well, let's go" she said, offering Sunshine her hand so that the borrower could climb in. Which she did. It felt incredibly weird to feel the tiny feet in her glove clad palm.


"So, where am I supposed to ride?"


"I-I had thought of my pockets but there i wouldn't be able to talk to you… so this was the next best thing"


Unannounced, Sophie shoved the borrower in her scarf. Sunshine let out a rebellious "WAIT" at first. But Sophie felt the borrower almost instantly relaxing once she was safely sitting between her neck and the warm fabric of the scarf. 


This was a dumb idea. What the hell was she thinking!? To put her date on such a sensible part of her body…


But it didn't matter to Sophie. Matter of fact, she didn't even question the fact that Sunshine, a tiny woman that lived in her wall, was her date. 


And the fact that she could feel her almost melting in her neck gave her an unexpected rush of confidence. 


And yes, she felt everything. Her tiny hands grabbing her scarf, her tiny feet looking for a comfortable position, she even felt Sunshine breathing into her neck. It was enough to make Sophie's legs tremble a bit.


"Ready?" She asked the borrower. 


"Ready" Sunshine replied, every word spoken to her neck.


Sophie stepped out of her apartment for the first time in like a week, to her first date in like, years. A surreal experience, even without taking into account the fact that her date was a borrower.


And now… to find a place open at 1 a.m.