- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Ori goes a little adventure of her own...

POV: Ori

---------

"What makes them so important?" Jeannine asks me, lightly shaking our container. They are so small that they seem more like dust to her. We have only been at this for a half hour, yet we are nearing our quota. "They hardly seem rare..."


"I recall something about 'volcanic compounds' and 'ancient, indigenous life'. I do know they are more than just decorations. Their beauty aside, they have medicinal value when ground up, and even uses in construction. Icarus needs them for the latter, or so I am told." I explain, using a pair of binoculars to see them from this distance. "They are rare, but we seem to have gotten very lucky. I wonder if Nick and Sara have experienced the same."


The two of us continue along the coast, gathering what we need and chatting as we work. I feel a tad guilty saying that, considering my part in this is that of a spectator. I am afraid there is little I can offer other than my company. Jeannine crouches down at an area that appears to be glistening. She repeats the process of filtering and inspects the container one, final time.


"Hah! I think we are done." She brings the container closer to me, and I visually confirm that we have enough. 


"Excellent! Shall we return and wait for them?" I ask, but Jeannine is already on the move. I giggle, a calm smile on my face. "There you go again, reading my mind."


It takes us a fraction of the time to return to our spot, marked by the large umbrella. I tend to speak in her terms when we are in the 'big' world. What I just called 'large' is at least twice the size of Magna Gratia. The distance my Brob friend covers on the way back is but a stroll to her. I am no mathematician, but I can confidently say that it would have been an hours-long trip by car. It is incredible just how big the world is, and yet, how small it seems to her. It must seem small, no? How can it not when you stand kilometers tall? 


"You are being awfully quiet, Ori." Jeannine says, snapping me out of my trance. We have arrived back at our spot, and she slowly lowers herself to sit down. She leans back, supporting herself on her arms, and speaks through a yawn. "Something on your mind, or are you just that relaxed?"


"A bit of both, I suppose. This is wonderful, and I am enjoying the scenery more than you know. But I am also thinking about other things..." I trail off, looking out at the sea. It is so calm from up here. Considering we are on the Lilliputian continent, the breeze and waves are on our scale, just as the flora and fauna used to be. All this water probably seems like a pool to Brobkind, at least until they swim out a certain distance. I hear that open waters are more rough. These, however, are just lovely. And the color is simply gorgeous. "I would love to go for a swim. Maybe when they get back?"


"I was actually about to ask you about that. It must be torture being cooped up in that little cabin on such a nice day. So, sure, just remind me. In a place like this, I see no reason not to. But let's put you down a good distance away, just in case." She says, gesturing to a spot approximately two armlengths away. A patch of sand that is mostly flat and devoid of larger rocks. "Like maybe... There?"


"Perfect. I only hope those two get back soon." I say, nearly bouncing in my seat from excitement. I cannot help that I adore the beach! If the one in Elysium is amazing, then the real thing can only be described as breathtaking. I cannot wait to jump right in!


Over the course of the next hour, Jeannine and I continue to chat about whatever comes to mind. I notice her becoming less responsive as she relaxes. The temperature-controlled air in here made me forget how warm it must be outside. She leans back further and further until she finally decides to lay entirely flat. As her head touches down on the beach towel below, so too does the cabin. Not long after, I lose her to sleep. I could wake her, but I do not have the heart. She just seems so peaceful. Unfortunately for me, it is from then on that I grow increasingly restless. 


I rise from my seat and begin to walk around impatiently. Time has a nasty tendency to slow down when one is eager for something. I grow frustrated as I speculate what could be taking them so long. Only then do I remember that our group got lucky. It is unfair of me to expect the same for them.


"I am going to die of boredom. I wish I had brought some form of entertainment..." I grumble.


I consider laying down to take a nap to pass the time, when suddenly, an idea springs to mind. Curiously, I walk over to the hatch and open it. As soon as I do, the warm, humid air rushes in, along with the smell of the sea. I breathe it all in, sighing in content. My gaze falls lower, to the towel just a few meters below. Then to Jeannine's arm, which is conveniently stretched out in the direction of the aforementioned spot. I couldn't possibly... Could I?


"Thank goodness Lou is not here to see this. What sort of example would I be setting!"


Taking risks is not something I normally do. Yet, here I am, hopping out into the open. A loud yelp escapes my lips as I fall onto the soft fibers below. Each one is a huge, bright-pink tree in a similarly colored jungle. I would have no hope of navigating it, which is precisely why I turn my attention to the huge hill in the distance. It is only Jeannine's shoulder, but it reminds me of City Hall due to its size. 


Moving in a straight line, I make my way over to it. Once there, I move toward her neck until I find the large, olive-green strap of her swimsuit. I grab hold, finding purchase, and climb it to the top. Once there, I take a moment to rest. During this time, I look at Jeannine, whose face is entirely hidden from this angle. The slow rise and fall of her chest tells me she is fast asleep. Hopefully she stays that way, but just in case, I kept my earpiece with me. I am not completely reckless, after all!


From there, it is a relatively easy trek to my destination. I transfer from swimsuit to skin and jog my way across her shoulder, down her arm, and to her wrist. The distance is quite long, but thankfully I am in good health. Once there, I take another short rest, before making the final journey to her fingers. They are slightly curled, nails half buried in the sand. I slide down her pinky finger and touch down on the beach, at last. 


Turning to look back at my friend, I am reminded of the true enormity of her kind. To think, the distance from her shoulder to her fingers would be so long! I am drenched in sweat, both from the physical activity and the sun beating down on me in the final stretch. The water never looked better! Sadly, I still have a way to go, but I made it this far!


"You know." Jeannine's voice suddenly speaks up. I spin around to look, seeing her in the same position, but with her head tilted slightly to look at me. "You could have just asked me to help you there now."


I wear a face of pure shock, which then melts into embarrassment as I realize what is going on. "You were awake the entire time, weren't you?"


"Only because someone yelped so loudly on the way out." She giggles, sitting up and crossing her enormous legs. She offers me a hand, which I climb onto. It carries me the rest of the way to my spot and I promptly hop off. "I wanted to see what you would do. If only you knew how much you tickle!" She teases me.


"Serves me right for trying to let you sleep!" I yell at her in mock anger. The two of us then break into laughter. "You are terrible, Jeannie."


"At least I am not a weirdo who uses their friend's arm as a bridge." She pokes back.


It is at that point that we notice Sara approaching from the other side. Jeannine gives a wave as she returns with Nick, our group reunited and our mission completed. The other giantess settles down on her own towel beside Jeannine and adopts a similar position to her.


"Did you guys wait long?" She asks, leaning in to see me in the cabin.


"A little, but it is alright." Jeannine shrugs. "And the one you are looking for is over there." She gestures toward me. Sara squints hard to make me out in the sand, but seemingly cannot. Jeannine then leans in to look at Nick in the other earring. "Want to join her, Nick? You guys should take your turn now, because there is no way you will be able to once Sara and I go in."


"I'm good. I didn't bring a swimsuit, remember?" He reminds us. "I mean, I would, but I'd at least need a change of clothes. Don't have that either."


"Great planning on your part." Sara tells him, while reaching to unlatch her earring. She brings it around to her face and speaks to him directly. "Still, I think you should at least come out. Here, I'll even let you sit on my leg!" She then lowers the accessory to her thigh, holding it still for him.


Jeannine's expression turns nervous when she sees this. "Um, maybe that is not the best idea? Being on the sand is one thing. On you is... Another."


I cover my mouth, stifling laughter. Oh, Jeannie, you hypocrite! What were we just doing a moment ago? Do you trust Sara so little? Or are you just overprotective of Nick? I am inclined to believe the latter. Listening to them, I keep my thoughts to myself.


"He's fine with it! And he's done it before." Sara winks. "Right, Nick?"


There is a pause from Nick before he replies. I am unsure if it is out of awkwardness or reluctance. It is not fear, though. That I am certain of.


"I... I guess? But not for long! I'm with Jeannine on this. It might not be super safe..." He says, followed by the sound of the hatch opening. I hear him step out and onto Sara, at which point she safely moves the earring away. "Hey, wait-"


"Thanks for joining us. You won't regret it!" She beams, her gaze fixed on him. He must be nothing more than a dot on those huge legs of hers. I can only imagine how he is feeling. "Don't worry! I'm very good at keeping still..."


"Whatever you say..." Nick says, nervously. He does not seem convinced, but the lilt in his voice suggests he is far less bothered than he is letting on. 


Looking at Jeannine, I can see the distress on her face. To help ease her nerves, I decide to vouch for Sara. A comment to lighten the mood. "It is alright, Jeannie. Nick is only acting anxious because he does not want us to know how much he is enjoying Sara's lap."


["Ooh~ I'll have to remember that for next time!" Sara cooes.]


"What?! H-Hey!" Nick protests, which only elicits laughter from myself and our friendly giantesses. Somehow, Sara manages to remain mostly still during that. I cannot see his face, but I know that it must be beet red! He makes a frustrated grumble, before responding. "I'm just getting some fresh air! I-I-It's not that!"


His comment only makes the three of us laugh louder. He goes quiet, likely feeling embarassed by my tease. It was slightly mean, but I know he will forget about it in a few minutes. More importantly, both Jeannine and him seem less anxious now, so my mission is complete. With that, I head the rest of the way to the shore.


"I will see you all in a little while. A quick dip and then I will be right back!"


"See you, Ori." Nick answers.


"Have fun!" Jeannine waves at me.


I mute my earpiece as I enter the water, not wanting the noise to bother them. I know that if they need me, I will hear them. The water is calm and I am a confident swimmer, so I do not expect to require assistance. If I do, I am certain either one of my larger friends could scoop me out, as well as several thousands of liters in a instand, with a single hand. Truly, there is no better lifegaurd for a Lilli than a Brob. 


I spent about thirty minutes wading in the water. I went in until I was shoulders-deep and slowly hopped up and down with each small wave. The temperature was perfect, and the water did not feel sticky at all. Truth be told, I could have spent the rest of the day in it, but I knew that the others deserved to enjoy their turn all the same. I walked out, returning to the shore and switching my earpiece back on. With each step, I relish the warm, soft sand under my feet. It was all so relaxing...


"I am back, everyone. Jeannie, could I bother you for a ride back?"


Her eyes light up as she hears my voice, head turning and eyes scanning for me. Once they find me, she smiles and offers her finger. "Of course! Climb on."


I do, and then she brings me closer, holding her palm out flat before her. With her other hand, she takes off her earring and sets it down for me to return to. I climb inside and clean the rest of the sand from my body, all while listening to the other two's conversation. I try to figure out what they are talking about, having only joined now.


"Yeah, it's just a little slow these days." Nick sighs.


"Don't worry. I am sure things will get more interesting soon." Jeannine chimes in. "The city is always growing, and Rin can only handle so much without you."


"Maybe. I feel more useful now that I'm somewhat educated. A semester of studying with you tends to do that." Sara's head turns to look at Jeannine, and I see that her earring is back on. I can only assume he is back inside it now. "A little late, though. Wish I'd known what I do now back when we started."


"So, basically, you're bored?" Sara asks, in a tone more serious than usual.


"Sorta. That, and feeling a little obsolete with things as complete as they are." He sighs again. 


Hearing that, Sara's eyes light up. "So... that means you'll have a lot of free time to fill, right?" She asks, unable to keep her excitement hidden.


"I... Guess so? Why?" Nick asks, doing so for the rest of us. Her sudden change in tone confused us. Or rather, it did me, but I could be missing something. I do not know.


"No reason..." She smiles, wider than she has all day. Her eyes have a twinkle in them that seems all too familiar to Jeannine. The two friends exchange glances, before Jeannine rolls her eyes and turns her attention back to me. A moment later, I am back on her ear just like before.


"Whatever. Now that Ori's back, don't you girls want to go for a swim? I'm in here and even I can tell the water looks amazing."


"I think that is a great idea." Jeannine nods, standing up. She offers Sara a hand.


"Same here. And we'll bring you two along for the ride!" Sara giggles, taking her hand and being pulled to her feet. 


"Wait." Nick stops them. "These things are waterproof, right?"


"Good question." Jeannine tries to recall if Daedalus ever mentioned that. "I am not sure. Ori?" 


"They should be, but I am also unsure." I tell her.


"Well, only one way to find out!" Sara exclaims, walking forward. Her foot makes a splash as it stomps into the water, followed by the other.


"Woah, woah, woah! Hold up! Wait a second, Sara!" Nick cries out, as she continues to move forward. In a flash, she is already up to her knees, only making him more frantic. "Sara! Stop, Sara! Saraaaa!"


"I hope she is only trying to scare him." Jeannine frowns, clearly worried.


"You have nothing to worry about. Sara asked me this morning, likely for this exact reason. And I made sure to check with Daedalus beforehand." I explain.


"Oh my, Orina... Telling lies?" She giggles.


"Only when they are harmless." I join in.


We look out at the water, watching as Sara gets down on her knees, so low that the waves are lapping at her ears. We can no longer hear Nick, but he must be screaming his head off. I would feel bad if it were not so funny. Oh, we are terrible...


"Let's join them. Before Nick faints or something..." Jeannine says, already walking toward Sara.


"And before Sara enjoys herself too much..." I add.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.

A HUGE thank you to my friend slogro who helped with this chapter, and many others in Part 5! Go show her some love, she's great!

The amazing size artist @Theotherone_1 has made official art for MG! I really love her take on Jeannine and the city. You can view the renders on Patreon for free, so go check them out!


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680

Check out my Twitter, too! https://twitter.com/GTS331