- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jeannine takes a stand against her stalker...

POV: Jeannine

---------

As I wait for Luca to arrive, I mentally review the plan. My conversation with Icarus from the other day replays in my mind...


"The bug tracks your locations via GPS. It logs that data every ten seconds for your stalker to check out at a later date." Icarus explains, while inside the device. He decided to crawl in for a better look. The 'tiny' thing is easily as big as a house to him. "It's got a short battery life. It can only track you for a few days on a single charge."


"It sounds like he would need to collect it again. Since, the data is not being transmitted." I comment, doing my best to follow along.


"Bingo! Ten points!" He cheers, sarcastically. "He can't do anything until he gets it back. How he plans to do that, I have no clue."


"He dropped it in my purse. Assuming I did not find it, he may try to get into it when I am not looking." I think aloud, imagining myself in his position. "But that assumes I would be carrying the same purse again, or that I am dumb enough to leave it unattended."


"Not quite. He doesn't have to reclaim it, so much as he has to be close to it." He corrects me. "So long as he's within one meter, his phone will be able to grab your data. He's probably going to come to meet you soon. And once the data is received, this thing will wipe itself and become a brick. It's pretty advanced, probably from some shady, high-end service he paid for. But child's play for me to hack, naturally."


"I don't doubt it!" I giggle. "But...wow! All that in such a tiny package?" I ask in disbelief, leaning in for a better look. "I am no tech expert, but that sounds...impossible."


"Well, yeah, if it had a week-long battery life. Its battery won't last more than forty eight hours. Sixty at the most." He elaborates, emerging from its casing. "He's got a pretty narrow window to act. By the way, I've got the data backed up, so you can get rid of this thing anytime. You can avoid the confrontation altogether."


"No, I can't." I shake my head. "This needs to happen, otherwise he will not stop. Just...trust me, okay?"


He laughs. "Don't I always?" 


I let out a long sigh, suddenly feeling better. It has been fifty-three hours since the bug was planted. It must be running low on power by now. I made it a point to avoid going home for that duration, staying at a nearby hotel instead. Only now have I shown up in a place where he can get to me. I sit up in my seat, a bench on the less busy side of campus, and stretch my arms above my head. Apparently, it is enough commotion to grab Nick's attention. My tiny friend speaks to me from inside my earring.


"You alright?" His tone is concerned and serious. It does not sound like he is in the mood for jokes today.


"I'm fine. I will be better once this is over." I run my fingers through my hair, checking the time on my phone. "You know how I feel about confrontations."


"I know. But I also know you'll be okay." He says, slightly more cheerfully. "You can do anything."


"Hah!" I blurt out, rolling my eyes. "Well, if you think so, then I will do my best to live up to that expectation. Thanks, Nick."


Before we can chat any longer, I hear someone approaching from my left. I turn to look, and am met with the exact person I was hoping for. 


Luca approaches casually, as if it is the most natural thing in the world. As if he is not guilty of at least one serious crime. He pretends to notice me and walks over. "Jeannine! Didn't expect to see you here twice." His eyes discreetly glance my purse, placed conveniently by my leg. I wanted it visible, but not easily reached. I notice a hint of frustration on his face as he looks back at me. "Do you hang out here often?"


"Not really." I shrug, standing up to meet him. "I just like the solitude, sometimes."


"Totally." He smiles, and gestures to the bench. "Hey, mind if I sit with you?"


"Go right ahead." I invite him to sit, purposefully placing my purse between us as I join him. "So, what brings you here twice?"


"Honestly?" He shrugs. "I was hoping I'd find you here. I've been looking for you these last two days, but you've been MIA." He takes his phone out of his pocket and pretends to check it, discreetly placing it between his leg and my purse. If I had not been privy to his intentions, I surely would not have noticed. "I've been meaning to apologize for what I said the other day."


"Oh?" I pretend to believe him. "Well, go on."


"I shouldn't have accused you like that. I was only lashing out because I needed to blame someone for what happened. So, I'm sorry." He collects his phone and pretends to check it once more. It then disappears into his pocket. "This is the last you'll be hearing from me about that."


He gets up and gives me a pained expression. It is almost believable. He then waves at me and turns, walking away without another word. He is clearly eager to make his exit.


"Is it, though?" I say, which stops him in his tracks. He turns around to face me before he can get more than a few steps away. I hold his gaze, reaching into my purse to retrieve the bug as casually as can be. I hold it out for him, my expression calm. "Because this suggests otherwise."


The look of shock on his face is priceless. Sadly, he is no fool. The momentary shock quickly fades as smugness replaces it. Neither of us are going to put up airs now. 


"I have no clue what that is." He says, his smile growing creepy. "But even if I did, it wouldn't matter. I've got what I need, Jeannie."


The way he speaks is so arrogant, so sure of himself. It is irritating. 


"Oh, I know. I made sure to make it easy for you." I explain, rising to my feet. I drop the bug on the ground and stomp it hard, twisting my boot to grind it against the concrete. "I've also got what I need."


He stares at me in confusion, unmoving. He looks me up and down, sizing me up. My actions are strange, so he must be trying to understand my reasoning. I do not intend to make him wonder. 


"I know what this thing is, Luca. In fact, I know exactly what it does, how it works, and even how to repurpose it." I take a step in his direction. "Whatever data you think you have will only lead you to random places around town. I, however, have such great evidence of a certain someone stalking me."


"Yeah, sure. Whatever you say, I guess." The guy looks at me as if I am speaking nonsense. He clearly does not believe a word I have said. He is even being careful with his words in case I am recording. He is cunning, I will give him that. Having been the president of a highly illegal and dubious club, I am not surprised. "Anyway, if you're done, I'll be heading home."


The reaction I am getting is not what I had expected. I figured once I revealed that I was aware all along, he would panic. My confidence begins to melt away as I watch him turn to leave. I clench my fists tightly, struggling to remain calm. My heart is pounding in my chest, and my stomach is in knots. I try to think about my friends and how important it is that I protect them. The man in front of me is the biggest threat to their safety I have ever faced, and yet, I am unable to follow through with the plan!


Suddenly, a certain person springs to mind. Someone I respect a lot. Someone who would be a lot better at this than I. I close my eyes and try to channel her 'energy'. My posture changes to the way she stands, strong and unshakeable. When I open my eyes, my anxiousness disappears.


"You were right. I was the one who ratted you all out." I say, confidently and with such smugness that it will surely infuriate him. "This situation you are all in is my doing. And I would do it again. Happily."


Luca stops in his tracks, turning slowly to face me. That smug expression has been replaced by anger. "What did you just say?"


"Honestly, the most disappointing part is that you are walking free. I was hoping there would be jailtime. You, specifically." I point at him accusatorily. "Garbage like you has no right to walk among us Brobs."


Faster than I can react, Luca charges in my direction and shoves me. I fall back, landing on the bench. It hurts a little, but I am alright. I am more concerned about Nick, but I have no time to check on him now. Luca then stands over me, lording his size and strength to intimidate me.


"You don't scare me." I tell him without a hint of hesitation.


"Yeah? Maybe I should." He grabs my arm tightly. He squeezes it hard, enough to make me wince in pain. 


I glare at him, my own anger rising to meet his. Thankfully, I am able to remain calm. I have no doubt he can and will hurt me if I continue to taunt him. All I needed was his attention. Now that I have it, I can say what I need to.


"I hate people like you, Luca. People who use their strength to hurt others." I tell him, struggling to speak as the pain in my arm gradually worsens. "You think you can do whatever you want because you're bigger. Bigger than me, and bigger than the Lillis you torment."


"Naturally." He says, no longer tightening his grip. "You made an enemy today. Expect me to do everything in my power to get back at you. I'm sure the others will be eager to help once I share the info." He uses his free hand to take out his phone. I watch him scroll through his contacts for 'Myra'.


"That bug you planted. I have its data backed up, and it traces back to you. All I need to do is give it to the authorities." I tell him, which causes him to loosen his grip a little. I continue, before he can think to doubt me. I have to deliver another blow quickly, before he can react. One after another. "Don't believe me? I guess it doesn't matter. You've already been caught on camera assaulting a fellow student. A defenseless woman, cornered and alone."


As I say this, he loosens his grip enough for me to pull my arm back. He looks around frantically for any cameras, but finds none. The angry expression immediately returns to his face.


"You're bluffing." He says, challenging me to prove it. In response, I pull out my phone, which has the video Nick just took, playing for him. It shows the moment I was shoved up until he grabbed my arm and threatened me. His face is crystal clear in the shot, too. Suddenly, his confidence begins to crumble. "Wh-Where? How? Who took that!"


"And you thought I was bluffing..." I smirk at him, to drive the point home. He steps back, nervously. I respond by stepping forward, closing the distance between us. "And I was not bluffing about the bug either." I then pull up a document with some very incriminating information ripped from the device, courtesy of Icarus.


"How the hell..." He mutters under his breath. "There is no way you cracked that. It's impossible!"


"I'm so glad you thought you knew what my capabilities are. And even happier that you were completely wrong." He looks me up and down, in utter disbelief that the 'Jeannine' he thought he knew is not the one facing him today. Awestruck, he starts to open his mouth to speak. "I didn't say I was finished speaking." I raise a finger to his lips, silencing him. "What happens next is very simple, Luca. You will leave me alone. You will not pry into my business. You will never, ever, pull a stunt like this again, and you will avoid me at all costs." 


I see a flash of anger in his eyes. The audacity of my tone and demands visibly affecting him. Despite this, he manages to contain it. He is forced to let me finish, as I continue to press my advantage. Once I am well and done, he folds his arms, leaning back and pondering what I just said. "And if I don't?" 


"I will bury you." The words escape my lips with a coldness that I never knew they could. "I will take all the evidence that I have, and expose you for what you've done and who you really are. The only reason I don't plan on doing that this instant is because, frankly, I don't consider you worth the effort." 


His eyes pop at my seriousness. I can see his nostrils flare as adrenaline courses through him. Staring for many uncomfortable moments, he finally relaxes, putting on his best, phony smile. "Fuck you, Jeannine."


"No thanks." I smile back, reflecting his.


"So this is it, then?" He looks at me in disgust. "You win, and I agree to your terms because I have no choice?" 


"Exactly." I nod, looking down my nose at him. "It doesn't feel nice to be in this position, does it? At least for you, the only thing at stake is your degree and future career. The Lillis, the people you played with, lost their lives."


There is a silence between us. I have said all I wanted to, and he is either preparing to respond, or is still coming to terms with how catastrophically he has lost. I see his face contort in frustration as he himself accepts the defeat. It then reverts back to the deceitfully-charming smile I am used to seeing.


"Best of luck to you after graduation. You'll probably make a good politician, someday." He takes a deep breath and makes his leave.


Once he finally is out of sight, I break into heavy breathing and collapse back on the bench. I grip my arm and let out a quiet moan of pain.


"Holy crap! Where did that come from?!" Nick's voice startles me as I had completely forgotten he was in my earring. 


"Geez Nick, you startled me." I then remember to check on him after our fall. "Are you alright in there?"


"I'm fine. My face broke my fall." He jokes, before going back to what he was saying. "But, holy crap! Even I was feeling kind of unsettled with how cool you just were." 


I wipe my face feeling a little bit of sweat break while my heart pounds madly. "I don't know. I just thought, 'what would Mayor Rin do?'. It was a heat of the moment thing..." 


"Well it's certainly worked. You just crushed that guy!" He laughs, the sound of it immediately improving my mood. "I just hope his friends don't pull anything. Like, if he tells them to act since he can't."


"He won't. Trust me, Nick." I reassure him, reclining against the bench. "The guy's got too much to lose. I know that revenge has to come second when you threaten what he values most."


"Fair point. I'm glad that's dealt with." He calms, that serious tone from earlier returning. Though, it brings with it a lot of affection. "And... I'm really proud of you, Jeannine." 


Hearing him say that is very touching. I place a hand on my heart and smile the first genuine smile all day. "I could not have done it without your help. So, I'm really proud of you too." I bring my finger to my earring and give it a stroke.


"I can't wait to tell Icarus. Actually, I'll probably tell Mayor Rin first. I'm really curious about what she actually would've done..." He trails off absent-mindedly. 


I entertain the thought, coming up with a few things the Mayor might say. I am sure she would congratulate me, but tell me that it is just a minor victory. In reality, the real problem still remains. Luca was just one of hundreds of thousands. Sure, the university is now clear of its worst sizist, but my town is not, nor my country for that matter. I am reminded of something I said long ago to Nick. Something along the lines of 'doing what I can, because that is all I can do'. Looking back on it, I still agree. Though, 'all I can do' has certainly changed. What transpired today makes me feel empowered and maybe even impactful. My confidence definitely got a big boost! Everyone tells me I am strong, but only now am I believing it. Sure, it could just be the high from a win, but I feel it is more...


"Hey, Nick? I don't mean to ruin the good mood, but I was just wondering. Do you ever think about that pet shop?"


He takes a deep breath, my question causing painful memories to resurface. "Sometimes. Not often, and even less nowadays. Why?"


"You asked what Mayor Rin would do. Well, I'll tell you what she would say next: There still is a blight in this town..." I hesitate before saying my next words. "Do you want to help me do something about it?"  

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.

A HUGE thank you to my friend slogro who helped IMMENSELY with this chapter, and many others in Part 5! Go show her some love, she's great!

The amazing size artist @Theotherone_1 has made official art for MG! I really love her take on Jeannine and the city. You can view the renders on Patreon for free, so go check them out!


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680

Check out my Twitter, too! https://twitter.com/GTS331