- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Saverine follows up on the meeting from before...

POV: Saverine

---------

"Good afternoon, Rin. I hope you have been well. It has been a while since we last spoke." 


The giantess smiles down at me from high above, calm and serious as ever. Beneath that, I sense that she is especially cheerful today. As is her representitive, who has finally learned to relax around me. I suppose it has been a while since I last yelled at him. He has given me no reason to, as of late. He offers to help me down the steps of the cabin, and onto the dining table in Jeannine's living room. It is the same place we always meet; the endless, solid, wood desert stretching on as far as the eye can see. Nick is being quiet, as he should be. Today, he is nothing but a spectator. The conversation will be between Jeannine and I, alone.


"Good afternoon to you, Jeannine. It has been far too long." I reply, making my way over to the seating area. I made a personal request to set it up, since my legs tend to tire out from standing for long periods. Craning my neck to look at the giant girl does my neck no favors, either. The entire thing is like a small coaster to the much larger girl, but quite spacious to us. Furniture, lighting, and more are bolted to the floor, which allow it to be moved by her without worry of objects falling off. It is even equipped with some odd technological contraption that lets her see my face clearly. It is something I never could wrap my head around, no matter how many times my sweetheart explained it to me. Bless that man for his patience...


I take my seat, and so does Nick, but only after he pours me a hot cup of herbal tea. Bringing it close, I enjoy the aroma and watch the steam rising from it. I take a sip, impressed by how much he has improved--both in keeping up with me and brewing tea. To show my appreciatation, I give him a quiet nod before addressing her. "I was beginning to think you were too busy for me."


"Never. I will always make time for you, Rin." She shakes her head. "For the one who runs our city, that is the least I can do."


"You give me too much credit." I smirk, taking another sip. I glance over at Nick, who meets my gaze. I hope he knows how much of a help he has been to me. Despite my complaints, I have grown fond of the young man. I turn my attention back to Jeannine, deciding to chat before we get to the topic at hand. "How are your exams going?"


"They have not started yet. The first one will be next Monday, and I feel prepared." She tells me, confidently. "I have been on top of things. Academics, health, and also financially."


"Good. Take care of yourself first." I remind her. "For your sake, and ours."


"I intend to. Believe me, I understand the burden that I carry. I would never take it lightly."


I gaze at her, admiring the serious expression she wears. She is not seeking to convince me, but rather stating a fact. There is no doubt in her tone, which puts my heart at ease. It reminds me of my younger self, although, I was admittedly much less compassionate than this girl, back then. It makes me wonder what kind of person she will grow to be when she is my age. My first guess is a leader. I am saddened that I will likely not be around to see how far she goes. No matter, I will be pleased to watch her for as long as I can.


"I believe you know what I am here to talk to you about." I say, taking one long sip of my tea, before setting it down. "It has been over nine months since our first meeting. While we have seen each other many times since then, I refrained from bringing up the topic."


"Absolutely. I am sorry for making you wait so long." She makes a guilty face.


I wave a hand at her, dismissively. "It is fine. Something this serious requires much thought and reflection. I did not expect you to return with answers the very next day."


She inhales a deep breath, then exhales slowly. A gust of wind blows across the table, as the giantess composes herself. Neither I, nor Nick acknowledge it, as we wait for her to speak.


"I have been thinking very hard about all that you asked me. I had been so confident that I had everything under control until you opened my eyes. My thinking was nearsighted. I had not, or perhaps did not want to, think that far ahead." She looks away, then back at the two of us. Clearly, these words are not easy to say. "This. All of this. It cannot go on forever. I am about to graduate, and I am unsure if I will be able to remain in this apartment beyond that. More importantly, can I really continue harboring Lillis in my home forever? I do hope to start a family, someday. I worry about how someone else might react to our secret, or how they, and you all, will be impacted if I am ever discovered. In the eyes of the law, I am a heinous criminal. Guilty of Lilli trafficking on a scale previously unheard of. We are approaching fifteen thousand citizens, after all."


I glance over at Nick, who seems eager to say something. I suspect he wants to reassure or comfort his friend, but he knows better than to speak out of turn. He looks at me, his eyes pleading, but I silence him with a finger to my lips. Disappointed, he simply clasps his hands and stares at the ground. I do not want to be mean to him, but I will not allow him to disrupt this. I do not want his opinion influencing what Jeannine will do. Not until she is finished.


"Rin, I am sorry to tell you that I still cannot answer every one of your questions for certain. I am only twenty-three years old, and I am not sure where life will take me. That said, I can give you a firm answer to some of them." She says, her confidence swelling.


"Go on." I encourage her.


"I have entrusted Sara with Magna Gratia, as my backup. Despite what anyone else might think, I believe with all my heart that she is the right choice. She is not yet great at dealing with the 'small' world, but she is learning. And like me, she would rather see herself hurt than dream of hurting another. Should anything happen to me, you will be in good hands."


I glance at Nick, my expression clearly asking if he agrees. I remember how strongly he felt about the other Brob not too long ago. His expression tells me all I need to know. As much as I trust Jeannine's judgement, it is good to know that he supports her on this matter.


"Regarding my graduation, I am expecting to receive a job offer soon. My grades and non-academic work have earned me some recognition at my university. If I can secure a decent job, I will be able to earn enough money to continue living here, even after my mother stops paying my rent." She explains, pulling out her phone to check on a note. It is likely something she wrote earlier in preparation for this. "And...if I get the salary I am expecting, I will be able to save up quite a lot. Enough to, hopefully, buy this unit. Then, even if I move out someday, it will be yours forever. I can come and go, checking in when needed, without any trouble. I moved the city once, but I do not want to do it again. It is simply too dangerous."


I say nothing, allowing her time to think. She is getting slightly worked up, her chest heaving with nervous breathing. She has no reason to. She is not under attack, nor do I mean her any harm. I think she knows this, but she could use a reminder. "Relax, Jeannine. Take your time."


She gives me a nod and manages to calm herself. 


"Lastly... I hope that all of my answers do not give the wrong idea, as though I am 'intending' to disappear. I fully intend to stay close, no matter where life takes me. Magna Gratia, and all of you, are my heart. Letting it go...just isn't something I can do. I mean, yes, it would be nice to have my room back. Privacy and all..." She giggles. "But seriously, I would never intentionally put distance between us. I love what we have built together. I...do consider myself a part of this community, despite being a little too big to fit in it."


The room becomes silent. Jeannine sits up straight and waits for me to say something. As does Nick, who has been obediently waiting for the permission to speak. He will have plenty of time to do that once I am finished here. Jeannine, on the other hand, is not quite waiting for approval, merely my reaction. The look in her eyes suggests she has more to say, depending how positively or negatively I react. She is so prepared... I am glad that the hands we have placed our lives in, are hers. My own included. While I was interested in her plans to improve security, in case of a break-in, I decide to leave that for another time.


"Okay." I tell her, plainly. I speak with no hidden agenda, nor any ounce of excitement. "If you say so, then who am I to argue?"


The room becomes silent once more. She blinks a few times, clearly surprised by my reaction. She looks to Nick, who looks back at her, and then they both turn to me. Honestly, these kids are quite the funny duo. They might just get me to laugh, one of these days.


"Is... Is that all?" Jeannine asks me. She seems to be in disbelief.


"Were you expecting more?" I ask her back.


"Well, maybe a little?" She shrugs. "Were my answers that good?"


"Who am I to say? My one and only purpose in this was to get you to think. I was never going to argue with you, or tell you that you could not do something. I am satisfied that you have answers--that you have a plan." I explain, hoping to put their minds at ease. "I trust you, Jeannine. Just because I am a little older than you, does not mean I will always know better. You are a strong, intelligent, and highly compassionate young woman. I will support you, be it matters of the city, or simply personal ones."


I give Jeannine a smile, something I rarely do for anyone. I am known to be quite cold at times, and even harsher at others. This is only because I care. When I am disappointed in someone, I let them know. Similarly, when I am proud, I do the same. Thanks to this technology, I know that she can see me clearly. My response leaves Nick pleasantly surprised, and her in utter shock. I give them another moment to process what I have said.


"Rin, I..." Jeannine stammers. "Thank you. You are the best."


"Oh, I know. I am glad you finally realized it." I chuckle. My attention then turns to the poor mute sitting across from me. "You may speak now, Nick."


"I don't have much to say, honestly. Well said, Jeannine. And you really are the best, Rin." He says, holding my gaze the entire time. Impressive.


I roll my eyes at him. "Enough compliments, you two. This meeting is not yet over. Let us take it seriously."


"Yes ma'am!" Nick blurts out, adjusting his posture. Jeannine does the same, accidentally shaking the tabletop as her arm moves out of sight.


"Jeannine." My voice comes out softly.


"Yes, Rin?" She answers softly, as well.


"There is something that has been bothering me for a while. It is only now that I am able to address it." I tell her, folding my arms over my chest. "Regarding that so-called 'Lilli club' you helped to dismantle, have there been any developments?"


"If you mean retaliation from any of the members, then no. As much as I dislike Dr. Lam, she made quick work of them. They are all on thin ice, not to mention probably under investiagtion by the authorities." She explains, becoming noticeably more relaxed.


"Are you certain your actions will not come back to bite you? I believe their leader was related to the man you originally purchased Nick and his group from. He must know your identity?"


"That disgusting man and his nephew are in no position to come after me. Plus, their whole 'secrecy' thing meant that there was never any evidence. Even if they did try to drag me down with them, there is nothing to implicate me. I can thank Nick for that." She winks at him.


"I have been wondering how you explained the disappearance of so many Remnants. Surely they were suspicious of you?" I ask, surprised by the lack of a follow-up by the university.


"Oh, about that." Jeannine's expression becomes guilty. "The room was searched, and no Lillis were found. It was assumed that they tried to run and either got stepped on or swept away. When asked, I had to lie and say that I did not know where they could have gone."


"Some lies are good ones." I nod, satisfied with her answers. "Well, if you say so. Let me know if anything happens."


"I will. That is a promise." She says, offering her pinky. The massive thing rushes toward me, but stops just short of where I am sitting. She is so incredibly good at moving within 'tiny' spaces that I can hardly believe it. I rise, walk over, and touch her fingertip with my palm.


"I believe that is all we needed to discuss. Thank you for your time, Jeannine." I tell her, removing my hand and stepping away. "This meeting has now concluded."

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.

The amazing size artist @Theotherone_1 has made official art for MG! I really love her take on Jeannine and the city. You can view the renders on Patreon for free, so go check them out!


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680

Check out my Twitter, too! https://twitter.com/GTS331