- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Ori gets an unexpected guest...

POV: Ori

---------

"Lou, dear. Come tell me what you think of this." I call to him in his bedroom.


The sound of short, rapid steps announces his arrival. The young boy runs into my leg, falling over onto my lap. I lean back in my chair to allow him space to move. He fidgets somewhat until he is upright, leaning his head back against my chest. I point to the sketch I have been working on for the better part of the afternoon with a hand, wrapping the other around him fondly. 


"Hmmm..." He hums, deep in thought. 


"Be honest with me. If you don't like it, you have to say so." I remind him, leaning my chin on the top of his head. "I will not be upset, I promise."


The humming stops abruptly and he shakes his head. "I don't like it."


"I expected that." I sigh. "It is too-"


"Girly!" He excalims.


Indeed, my design for a boys' graphic tee is a tad on the feminine side. I feel as though the colors are appealing, but the graphic itself is the problem. 


"I suppose you are right. The bear is too...soft. Perhaps a harsher look would be better?"


"Grr! Bears are tough. He looks too cuddly."


"Yes he does. I will have to fix that." I nod. "Thank you, Lou. Go on, now. I have to finish three more designs like this before bedtime."


"Okie." He hops down and runs back to his room to play with his toys.


I pick up my pen and scribble some notes on the corner of the paper. I am about to pull out a new sheet when I hear the doorbell ring. It causes me to jump, I was so focused. 


"Who could that be?" I whisper. 


I walk to the door and open it, only to find Nick staring back at me. I was not expecting him. It feels like ages since we last saw one another. I assumed he was simply busy, but his expression suggests otherwise. He does not look well. At least, not like the Nick I know. We exchange silent glances before I step aside and he walks in. Shutting the door behind him, I watch as he collapses on my couch and groans.


"Ori. I need to talk to you. So bad." He gives me a very tired look. "I'm really sorry to drop in like this. Were you busy?"


"No. You are welcome to drop in anytime." I smile, joining him on the couch. "Please, make yourself comfortable. Tell me what is bothering you."


He opens his mouth to speak, but suddenly Louis bursts into the room. "Nick! Nick!" He runs over to him and hugs him.


"Listen, dude. I need to speak with Ori, if that's okay. It's grown up talk. Very boring stuff." He explains. "Can I borrow her for a little?"


"Okay. But play with me after."


"Umm, not today, buddy. I just...can't. I'm sorry." Nick says, surprising both of us. I cannot believe my ears! He always indulges Louis. Suddenly, I feel very concerned.


"Lou, please go to your room. Nick and I need to catch up, privately." I tell him, sternly. 


Thankfully, Lou is a good boy. He knows when I am being serious and does not throw a fit. Disappointed, he goes back to his room and closes the door. I make a mental note to make it up to him later, probably with his favorite ice cream, before turning my attention to Nick. 


"What has gotten into you, Nick? You are not yourself today. Could it be work?"


"You could say that. Well, more than that. Work is great, for the most part." He says, looking away.


"You will have to be more specific. For someone who came to talk to me, you are being uncharacteristically vague."


"I am, aren't I..." He moans. "My bad."


"First of all, how is your leg?" I ask him, reaching over to touch his knee. "Seems to have healed nicely."


"It has. No pain anymore, and I got away without any lasting damage, somehow." He rubs his knee, squeezing it with his hand. "I never did tell you how this happened did I?"


He proceeds to explain all that he went through on his trips with Jeannine to university, the Lilli fight club masquerading as a culture club, and the professor he has been learning from. The way he describes her leaves me confused. Jeannine has complained about this woman at length. I have only heard negatives things, especially concerning people like him and I. To think that he spoke to her and lived to tell the tale! Perhaps she isn't as terrible as I was led to believe?


"Oh my! This sounds like an adventure out of a storybook." I chuckle. "Only in those they fight a dragon at the end, not an uptight professor."


Nick laughs, shaking his head. "Dude, I would have rather fought a dragon. It would've made for a better story than what actually went down. Can you believe the giant woman sat on me?!"


"I would not have believed it coming from anyone else." I laugh. "I am very happy you are alright. And I am proud of you for sticking up to her."


"Thanks, Ori. I dunno... It feels like I don't want to be scared anymore, so, I'm just...not." He scowls. "Does that make any sense?"


"Plenty. I went through something similar, when I was around your age."


"What's that supposed to mean? You're hardly eight years older." He rolls his eyes. His expression then becomes a little serious. "Actually, that reminds me of why I came to visit you in the first place. Other than to catch up, obviously." He sits up straight and holds my gaze. "It's about Jeannine's friend. The one who was here last week."


"Yes, I know her. Not personally, but in general. Everyone does."


"Yeah, and I got to know her a little more personally." He suddenly becomes very uncomfortable, shifting in his seat and looking away. "No, that's not exactly true. I've known her for much longer. Since the early days, I mean." He pauses for a while, contemplating what to say next. "I've gone off track again, dammit. Okay, before I get to the Sara thing, I need to make a very difficult request of you."


"Alright. I will do my best to help you, if I can. What is it?"


"Orina." He says, startling me. I do not remember the last time someone called me by my full name, least of all Nick! I become tense as well, staring at him expectantly. "I know you don't like talking about it, but would you be willing to open up a little about...her?"


"I assume you mean Céline." I sigh, my smile disappearing.


"Yes, her. I would like to hear more about how you dealt with what she did to you." He looks away, then back. "You never forgave her, right?"


"No, I could never. She was rotten to the core." The scowl on my face is difficult to hide. "Why are you bringing this up so suddenly?"


He sighs. I watch him knock his fist to the side of his head in frustration twice. "I...know something about Sara. Something...bad."


Through a series of pauses and much difficulty, Nick tells me the story of what happened on his first outing with Jeannine. He tells me in vivid detail, recalling the event with remarkable clarity. My eyes widen in shock. 


"I cannot believe what I am hearing. She never struck me as the type to do that."


"Neither did I. It really...messed me up."


"I am so sorry to hear that, Nick." I give him a sympathetic look. "She seemed like such a sweet girl. How can Jeannine keep a person like that as her best friend? Let alone trust her to watch over the city? She must have a good reason."


"That's the thing, Ori, she is. She's changed. The person from that restaurant is gone. I'm certain of that." Nick shrugs. "I don't know how to convince you. I looked into her eyes. I spent a day with her. We fought, we talked, and we even played a game."


"I see..." I fold my arms. "I think I understand why you brought up my previous owner now."


"Yeah." He looks at me with a very apologetic expression. "It's selfish of me, I know."


I hold my hand up. "No, it is alright. Truth be told, I am glad you came to talk to me. I was not aware you were dealing with something like this for so long."


"I'm working through it, you know?" He smiles his usual, awkward smile. "I'll be there soon."


"Healing is a process, not a finish line." I explain, gesturing with my hand. "It took me ages before I could even speak about what I went through."


"Was it hard?" He asks me, leaning forward instinctively. "Did someone help you?"


"Unfortunately, it was. I did not do myself any favors by bottling it up until Aurelia forced it out of me." I admit. "That is why I am so happy to be able to be here for you now, like she was for me."


"Thanks. That means a lot."


"Any time. Now then..." I clear my throat and close my eyes, recalling my experiences with that dreadful woman. When I open them once more, I speak confidently and without hiding details. "Unlike many Brobs who purchase our kind as 'objects', Céline was very aware of my personhood. She called me by name, to make what she would do next more personal. She tortured me, both mentally and physically. She took pleasure in the pain she inflicted, and how powerful it made her feel."


"Oh, gosh." Nick whispers.


I pull at my neckline just enough to reveal the top of my scar. "I got this when one of her 'tests' went wrong. She was usually careful to not break her toys, but she got too excited and slipped. I was impaled with a special needle, which then tore across my chest. How it missed my heart, I will never know. The pain was unimaginable."


"Mm." He makes no comment, listening intently until I finish.


"I think the worst part of it all was how little she made me feel. Compared to Brobs, we are indeed tiny, but she made me feel...like I was less. My injuries healed in a matter of weeks. My dignity did not until I met Jeannine." I explain, inviting him to speak now with a gesture of my hand.


"I never knew the details. That's really terrible." He gives me a sympathetic smile. "My issues are nowhere near that."


"There is no need to compare your problems to mine. Your feelings are valid; do not ever think otherwise."


"You're right. My bad." He nods. "Hearing you say that has made me curious about something. You said that you never forgave her, but why is that? If you could tell me in your own words."


I do believe I did that already, but I have no problem telling him again. "It is because she is a terrible person. She never wanted to change. She never considered the feelings of others, let alone mine."


"I don't think Sara's anywhere near that bad. What she did was so fucked up, and it's way worse than a simple mistake. But still... I don't know if I have it in me to forgive her."


"You do not have to if you do not want to." I remind him. "I believe Jeannie has sound judgement. If she sees something good in her friend, she is probably right. I trust her wholeheartedly, but her decision to do that is her own. You do not have to follow suit, so long as you can engage with her in a civil manner. She is now part of this, whether you like it or not."


"For sure, and yes, I can engage with her fine. It's just that I want to resolve this once and for all. I hate letting it linger..." He groans, slouching in his seat.


I stare at him, studying his expression and body language. What can I say to help? I think hard about what I can do in this situation.


"Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not sound to me like she treated you poorly."


"No, not at all. She yelled at me, but all people yell at each other. She was very careful and never used her size or power to do anything bad, despite how furious we both got."


"She did not make you feel small?" I ask, leading him with a question. "Not even once?"


"Not even once. The first thing she said to me was 'hi' and that she was really excited to meet me. She called me 'Jeannine's other best friend'."


"Okay. Was she remorseful about what she did?" I ask.


"Not at first, but I think she was just being defensive. I went full-on attack mode. Once the fires died down, the truth came out. She seriously regrets it." He tells me, lazily turning his head to look at me. "She was the one to come to me first to try to work things out. Imagine that!"


"I honestly did not expect to hear you say that." I half smile. "Is that not a good thing?"


"It is, it is..." He goes quiet and thinks for a time. A lot has been said, and he is clearly trying to process it all. I am patient with him until he speaks up again. His tone is low and apprehensive. "Do you think...people can truly change?"


"I do. I have seen it happen before." I tell him this without an ounce of doubt. "If I am to go by what you have told me, I do think she has changed."


"But is she deserving of forgiveness? Of my forgiveness?" He asks, sitting up and gazing at me.


"That is not for me to say, Nick." I shake my head. "But I think you already have your answer."


"I know that forgiving doesn't erase what happened. But then again, is it fair for me to define a person by their worst moment?" He asks, though I believe it is to himself rather than I. "Like, what if I did something like that, then I worked hard to change and better myself, doing all this good, but then everyone still hates me for my past?"


"That hardly sounds fair. People have the capacity for great good and great evil. I do not believe that anyone is born one way or the other, but they make choices which push them either way. Then again, if there is even the tiniest worry that she is capable of repeating what she did, you would be foolish to forgive her."


"She claims that she acted out of ignorance. If that's true..." He trails off. "I mean, I believe it's true. It's j-just the idea that... Those poor p-people..." 


As he says this, I notice his breathing becoming erratic. His body is trembling. Without thinking, I scoot over and embrace him tightly.


"Breathe. Everything is going to be okay." I whisper to him, taking his hand. "Deep breaths. Slowly."


"I-I'm trying." He says, fighting back his panic attack. "I'm sorry."


"Shhh." I embrace him tighter. "I am here for you. Take your time."


The two of us sit together in silence for a long time. I let him go rather quickly, once he begins to calm down. As quickly as his panic came, it passes. I go to the kitchen to get him a glass of water. Keeping hydrated can help when dealing with such attacks. He drinks it all and puts the cup down on the coffee table.


"Thanks. That helped." He breathes in and out slowly. "And thank you, Ori, for everything."


"I did not do much. But you are welcome." I smile at him.


"Can I make it up to you somehow? Seriously, I'll do whatever you want."


His expression is so serious that I would feel bad rejecting his offer. One does not help a friend expecting something in return. I suppose he simply wants to show gratitude. My first thought is to ask him to watch Louis later this week, but then I get a better idea. I head over to the dining table and pick up one of my sketches. I hold it out to show him my progress.


"This is a new line of clothes I am working on. It is aimed at young boys, but I feel it's not quite there yet. Do you have any-"


"Skulls." He cuts me off. "Flames, cars, or even swords. Kids like cool things. Your drawings are too 'curvy'. Use sharper lines." 


I stare at him, surprised by how much his suggestion makes sense. I did not expect him to give me the answer right away! "You are right. I think that would be a lot better..."


"Great. And if anything doesn't feel right, just ask Louis, you know?"


"If only he gave me ideas like you do." I sigh, content that I will not have to pull another all-nighter. "You would not believe how much trouble this project has given me." I shake my head. Only then do I remember what we were talking about a moment ago. "Oh, it seems we went off topic. Is there anything else you want to know? Anything I can do to help?"


"No, I think I have all I need." He says, standing up and fixing his clothes. "And I think I've overstayed my welcome. Geez, it's late! I'll get out of your hair."


"Alright, but you are welcome to stay as long as you want. Lou and I love your company." I say, walking him to the door.


"Another time. Tell Louis I'll be taking him to the park tomorrow and that I'm sorry for making you banish him to his room."


I laugh softly. "I will do that."


"Alright then. Have a nice rest of your evening, Ori. See you later." He says, stepping out.


"You had better let me know what happens with Sara! I am invested in this now."


"Of course! You'll be the first to know, whether it's good or bad."


I watch him walk to the end of the street until he turns a corner. Only then do I shut the door and return to my work. I certainly had not expected my evening to go this way, but I am happy it did. My mind is full of thoughts of Nick as I complete the rest of my designs. I hope I helped him. Someone like him deserves to be happy. As for me, I am now unsure of how I feel about Sara. I think I will go with whatever Nick decides. I am on his side, first and foremost. 


At this point, there is no one better to judge Sara than him.

Chapter End Notes:

The amazing size artist @Theotherone_1 has made official art for MG! I really love her take on Jeannine and the city. You can view the renders on Patreon for free, so go check them out!


Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.




I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680