- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A moment of carelessness can be devastating.

POV: Jeannine

---------

It takes all I have not to gasp. 


Doing so would undoubtedly make this terrible situation even worse. I hadn't expected the softest of sounds on my part to be so harmful to my little ones. As soon as I realize my mistake, I sit up and cover my mouth. Thankfully, my breath only forces them back a few centimeters. I don't even want to consider what intentionally blowing on them would have done.


"Oh my god. I'm so sorry, guys." I manage to keep my voice down despite my panic. "Being around Lillis is something I'm still adjusting to. I’m still learning, hehe…"


I give a wry smile, leaning in just a little this time. I keep my distance but remain close enough to inspect them. They look shaken, but unharmed. With my mouth still covered, I breathe a sigh of relief. To think that they're that fragile. Or rather, I'm that powerful. I feel my heart racing again, for a multitude of reasons. I allow them a moment to collect themselves before speaking up.


"I hope you’re not scared of me all of a sudden."


I watch them expecting some sort of a response but get none. I cringe at my own stupidity. Of course they're not going to respond. Their voices are inaudible at their size!


"I think that's enough of an introduction. Before I take you to your new home, we need to be clear about something." 


My tone becomes a lot more serious. 


"If any of you object to my rules, please express that now. I am no kidnapper, and you have every right to leave if that is what you desire. I will not return you to that nasty shopkeeper, but I will have to set you free somewhere outdoors. At that point, it's up to you to fend for yourself. I cannot protect you once you leave."


I look away for a moment, considering how best to do this. An idea pops into my head. I set my hands down on the desk, palms down, in front of them.


"If you wish to stay, please approach my right hand. If not, head to my left. Either way, no harm will come to you. You have my word, so think hard and decide."


Despite my words, I feel rather anxious. It would really discourage me if any of them decided to leave. Just a moment ago I was super confident, but now I'm not so sure. Fear must be a big factor. A relationship like ours must be daunting. Would anyone want to be around someone with the power to end them with just their breath? I would never, but they don't need to know that.


"It will take time. Don't be impatient!" I silently reassure myself. "They will trust you once they see what kind of person you are. Actions speak louder than words!"


The Lillis appear to be talking amongst themselves. I'm sure they're enjoying the fact that I can't hear them. Fair enough, I guess. A part of me sincerely hopes that they're not saying anything insulting or weird. To my surprise, I see the reluctant woman from earlier running up to my right hand. She stops in front of it, getting closer than I was prepared for. I instinctively move my hand back an inch, just to be safe. Shortly after, the rest of the crowd follows her. In the end, not even one chose to leave. 


It puts a genuine smile on my face.


"I'm honored. You won't regret it, I swear!"


I blush and pull away in embarrassment. That was too direct... Now I seem like a giddy little girl. How am I supposed to be respected when I keep letting this side of me show? I'm going to be responsible for so many people now.This isn't the behavior befitting of a caretaker, let alone a queen. 


I lean in again, preemptively covering my mouth and nose. From this distance I can make out individual details, to an extent. Their expressions look calmer now, though I wonder what’s actually on their minds. More importantly, I'm worried about how they'll react to my next request...


"With our introduction out of the way, I think it's best I give you some space. You've been through a lot and it's only natural that you find it difficult to process. I'm going to take you to your new home now, but I don't want to shove you back into that vial like objects. You're people, and you deserve to be treated as such."


I take my left hand off the desk and set it down in my lap. My right hand remains palm-down and I extend my index finger before them. I keep it as still as possible, for their safety.


"Climb on. I'll carry you down on my finger. Don't be afraid, I'm going to be extremely careful."


I don't think I could have said it in a gentler way if I tried. I watch as they clamber onto my digit. One by one, they hike up my nail until they're all gathered near the center of it. They never touch the skin, so I don't feel a thing. Their presence on my finger is virtually imperceptible. 


Slowly, I raise my finger off the desk and bring it up to my face. I hold it at eye-level, away from my nose or mouth. I can see them panicking a little. I suppress another giggle. It's just so cute. I feel for them, I really do, but that doesn't make it any less amusing. And even more than that, I think it’s exciting. To think that ten people are all riding atop my nail as if it were some sort of ferry. 


They're weightless to me.

 

I bet dust would weight more than them, realistically. I wonder how many I could hold in my palm if I tried? A hundred? A thousand? Oh my god. I feel my heart racing again.


"Calm down, Jeannine." I think. "Don't be careless now."


Keeping my finger stable, I stand up to my full height. I bring my other hand up to shield them from the winds they're about to experience. I walk the short distance from my desk to the corner of my room, where everything is set up for them. I then lower myself, coming to a kneeling position. I bring my finger down to the floor and hold it there.


"There you go. See? I told you I would be careful. From what I can tell, everyone seems alright? You may step off me now."


They're a lot faster on the way off. I certainly hope I didn't make anyone motion sick. Once the last tiny steps off, I relax and stand back up. From way up here, I can't make a single once of them out anymore. Maybe I should have stayed low? Oh well. They'll need to get used to seeing me like this anyway. I can't crouch for them every single time.


"The platform you are on is one I made specially for you. It's about an inch thick, which should be more than enough for any structure you wish to build. It's made of densely packed soil, which is ideal for construction. I've left you loads of materials scattered around. They are yours to use however you like."


I lean over slightlu, looking down on them. My demeanor softens again, becoming less regal. 


"And seriously, I'm here for whatever you need! Until we get communications going, I'll just check in on you every few hours. I live alone, so don't worry about any other big people coming along and bothering you. I've got some stuff to do so I'll just leave you to it. Lights out will be whenever I head to bed, I guess. Make yourselves at home, everyone!"


With that, I finally leave them alone. I gather my laptop and notebook and head to the living room to work. Normally, I'd do my assignments in my room, but I want to give them some space for now. I can manage, at least for the first few days. I'll still be sleeping in my bed, of course, but only at the end of each day. For the time being, I immerse myself into my work and studies. 


For some reason I just can't stop smiling.


The rest of my day is uneventful. I work on my assignments for a few hours, utilizing those 'bouts of focus' whenever they come. I'm rarely a focused person, but today is all-time low in terms of productivity. 

After completing just the first part of my seven part task, it becomes clear that I'm getting nowhere. I look out the window and realize the sun has long since set. 


"Already? The days are so short lately."


When I was saving money, I never left the lights on during daylight hours. 

Now that I've begun this new project, I tend to leave them on more often. I can't imagine how they would feel to be in darkness, all alone in my room. Until they get working power, my indoor lighting will have to suffice. 


I focus my attention on my assignment and read the instructions for the second task. How many times have I read this already? No less than ten, for sure. It becomes clear to me that I'm never going to be able to focus like this. The excitement from our first day together is just too much for me. I can't contain it, even while putting this distance between myself and them. 


"I should check on them. It's getting late and I'm sure they're hungry."


I set my laptop on the coffee table and head to the fridge. Inside there are a bunch of vials labelled from one to seven containing food I prepared this morning. Each one contains no more than a few grams, though I'm confident it will be more than enough. I grab the vial labelled 'one' and quietly walk back to my room. Standing at the doorway, I peek inside as if this wasn't even my own room. From across the way, I can't make anything out. 


"It's only been like four hours. I shouldn't expect a world wonder." I whsiper under my breath.


I walk over to their corner of my room and kneel. They're all still now, probably looking at the enormous girl who suddenly reappeared without warning. I smile, doing my best to appear friendly. The last thing I want is for them to be afraid of me.


"Hello again, guys. This is me checking in, as promised. Let's see..."


I can see that the materials I provided are already being put to good use. Some makeshift tents and shelters have been set up. I count only nine and blush a little. It appears that some of my new roomies have already gotten a bit more than comfortable in a short time. Either that or someone is planning to sleep out in the open, I suppose. 


"I brought you some food. It's a mix of a bunch of things I like. In the future I'll just give you ingredients and you can cook whatever you want for yourselves."


I open the vial and pour its contents in an area that's clear of any people. I then reach over for the water bottle from earlier and use my finger to deposit a few drops as well. Most of them are already making their way to their first real meal. I watch them silently, entertained by how long it takes them to travel the ten centimeters to the bits of beef and steamed veggies. I also hope they don't mind it cold. I'd heat it up but I'm worried about it burning them if it's too hot. You can never be too careful.


I stay with them as they eat, like a good friend. I want to be sure that everyone gets their fill and I won't have it any other way. Eventually my legs get tired and I adopt a cross-legged sitting position. My knees hover over the closer part of the square, but I don't sweat it. Even as they fill their little stomachs only a small amount of the food disappears. It's so unbelievably adorable.


"I can't, I just can't." I yell in my head. "They're so cute~! Don't show it. Don't show it!"


Once they’re finished, I notice them moving around strangely. It's...organized, I think? As they move about, I noted them making lines in the ground. I have to lean in and squint really, really hard, but I make out a message. 


It says ‘Thank you’.


My lip quivers. I bite the bottom one with my teeth. I have a reply in mind, but my voice has betrayed me. So I just stare at them, speechless and paralyzed by happiness. After an embarrassingly long pause I finally mouth the words I want to say.


“You're welcome!”


Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. My plan is to upload a chapter a week exclusively on this site. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680