- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Saverine finally gets her meeting with Jeannine...

POV: Saverine

---------

"Please watch your step, Ms. Mayor. The stairway isn't always stable." Nick warns, offering his arm to support me. His concern brings a smile to my face. 


"Thank you, Nick. I am fine walking on my own. I appreciate the gesture, but I'm not that old yet."


"H-How right you are! My apologies, ma'am." He says, lowering his gaze.


The two of us step out of the cabin together. I must say that I am happy to be on solid ground again, even if we are merely on Jeannine's dining room table. The ride over from the city was quick and stable, just as he'd reassured me. That engineer Daedalus really is a genius, not to mention a handsome fellow, but I digress. My focus should be on this moment. I pushed awfully hard for this meeting to happen, after all. 


I walk forward, leaving the cabin behind. Nick leads me to a spot some distance away. I have no clue why he chose it, so I assume the decision was arbitrary. My gaze travels forward to the wide chest that stretches far to my left and right. It then moves upward until I see her face up in the sky. This is the closest I've ever gotten to her. It might even be the closest I've ever gotten to any Brobdingnagian. If I were to guess, I would say she's hardly thirty centimeters away, on her scale. I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stick up and I unconsciously become tense. I cannot ignore my instinct to flee from those that tower over us. While she may be kind, she is the exception, not the norm.


"It's nice to finally meet you, Jeannine." I say, testing the device Nick provided. "I've been waiting patiently for this day."


"Likewise. It wouldn't be right of me to ignore a request from my city's new mayor. Congratulations, by the way."


"Thank you. I hope to serve this splendid city as best I can."


"I'm looking forward to it, Ms. Mayor."


"Call me Saverine. I have never been fond of titles like 'Chief' and 'Mayor'." I explain to both. "Or just 'Rin', if you prefer." 


"Sure, Rin." Jeannine nods. "I'm fine with that."


"Same here." Nick confirms.


"I trust that Nick already briefed you on your new responsibilities. I'm sure he's doing all he can to make the transition go smoothly."


"He did. I made sure of that." I tell her, casting a knowing smile toward the young man. He looks away again, unable to meet my gaze. It's clear that he's intimidated by me. I suppose that's fair, especially after what I put him through. I can't forget the look on his face when we first met to discuss the city's organizational structure. I was very critical, and for good reason. It was a mess and I made that abundantly clear. He definitely wasn't used to strictness, least of all my of being so straight forward.


"Good." Jeannine smiles. "Well, Rin, the floor is yours. What is on your mind?"


I take a moment to gather my thoughts. There is much to say. The giantess waits patiently for me to begin. Though her eyes struggle to focus on me, her expression is calm. It's different than how other Brobs look at us. She's looking at me as she would anyone her size. There isn't the faintest sign of prejudice in her gaze, let alone her body language. It's clear that she sees me as her equal, if not her senior. It feels so strange, considering how right it is.


"You're an odd one, Jeannine."


She cracks a smile. "I've been told. Hopefully you mean the good kind."


"I most certainly do." I nod. "In the short time I've been living in Magna Gratia, I've been observing you. I needed to find out what kind of person you are. The residents of the city speak so highly of you. I'd never known a Brob to be so kind or so loved by Lillis."


"They're too kind." She blushes, averting her gaze and brushing her hair back.


"I wholeheartedly disagree." I tell her, which draws her gaze back to me. "I can honestly say that you are one of the most conscientious people I've ever met. It shows in all that you do. You've earned their praise, and my own for that matter." 


"Thank you, Rin."


"There's no need for thanks. I am not the type to throw compliments around on a whim. In fact, I many consider me quite harsh." Nick glances over at me as if he has something to say. I glance back at him, prompting him to look away once more. Mhm. That's what I thought. "Criticism is rarely met with appreciation, but it comes from a good place."


"Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts with me." Jeannine says, her smile slowly fading. "After the incident with my mother two days ago, I was reminded that that I could be doing a whole lot better."


"It takes a strong person to admit when they're wrong. I respect you for not shifting the blame on your mother." I tell her, partly in admiration. "Even if she was the one most at fault."


"She's always been...like that. I still hope that one day she'll change."


The subject of her mother gives me an idea. Suddenly, there is something I would like to share. I think it will be useful for her to hear it.


"I'd like to share a story with you. And Nick, of course. We have time, don't we?"


"You have me for as long as you need. I freed up my entire day for you." Jeannine shifts in her seat, pulling her chair closer to the table. Her hands emerge from somewhere below, coming to rest in the open space between us. She clasps them together, interlacing her fingers loosely. "You have my undivided attention."


Nick sits down, crossing his legs. He stays silent, allowing me to speak uninterrupted. He is respectful, as always. A little stiff, but otherwise courteous.


I clear my throat and begin to tell a story from my younger days.


"When I was a little girl, the Matriarch of our clan was my mother. She was a strong woman in both body and spirit. If there was ever someone to model yourself after, it was her. She was not without her flaws, but even those were few. I learned so much about leadership just by watching her. 


I learned to be strong, but not rude; to be kind, but not weak; humble, but not shy; and most importantly, to be proud, but not arrogant."


"What an amazing woman."


"She was special in ways that I cannot put to words. Sadly, she did not get to lead us for long. I was about your age, perhaps a few years younger, when she passed away suddenly. One day she got sick, and then next she was gone. I could hardly believe it. I was not given long to grieve because our clan needed a new leader. That weight fell on me. It was...very heavy."


"I'm so sorry to hear that." Jeannine frowns. "I can't imagine how it felt." 


"I hope that you never have to." I shake my head. "Losing someone you love is never easy. Compared to that, being thrust into a position I did not feel ready for was child's play. Despite my anxiousness, I was well prepared. My mother made sure of that." I continue explaining as I pace around. Nick's gaze follows me as I do. "Every time I felt unsure of myself I would ask, 'what would mother do?'. That would provide clarity, most of the time. Over time, I would ask that question less and less, until I stopped asking it altogether. With time came experience, and with experience came confidence. Eventually, I became sure enough to ask myself, 'what do I think I should do?'. Tell me, Jeannine, do you ever ask yourself similar questions?"


"Sometimes I do. Though, not in the same way."


"Go on."


"I often ask myself, 'Is this the right thing to do?' and 'How would I feel if this happened to me?'." She shrugs her shoulders. "I never make a decision without carefully considering the impact it'll have. At least, I try not to."


"Hm. I find that very interesting."


"You do?"


"I do. Your answer confirms my suspicions. You and I are more similar than I expected." I nod, approvingly. "I don't think you're a good leader. That comes with time and experience, which you lack. However, you are a wonderful role model. In that respect, you're more like my mother than me." 


"She's right." Nick finally speaks up. "I've been saying this for ages."


"When you declared that Brobs and Lillis are equal, I have to admit that I didn't believe you. A race as proud as Brobs would never 'lower' themselves to the same level as mere Lillis." I pause for a moment, considering my next words. "I've wondered how others might act in your position. I have also wondered what having absolute power over an entire city of tiny people would do to them. I am inclined to think they would get high on power. They might even begin to think themself a god on Earth."


"I can think of a few people who fit that exact description." She says, shaking her head in disgust.


"I suspect you mother may be one of them. When she discovered your 'model', it terrified us. We knew that no matter what we did or how fast we ran, we could never stop her. If she wanted to destroy the city, it would have been gone. An army of soldiers, perhaps a million or more, would be nothing in the face of her descending boot. If we tried to run, she'd easily catch us. No conceivable vehicle would escape her reaching hand. There would be no resisting whatever she feels like subjecting us to. I shudder to think what someone like her would do with a city of Lillis."


"I don't even want to think about that..." She answers, softly.


"It's always seemed unfair to me that one race holds so much power over another. As the saying goes, 'might makes right'."


I notice Jeannine's finger beginning to tap nervously against her knuckle. Nick's somber expression tells me he understands with what I'm saying. Knowing his past, I'm sure he shares my frustration.


"...I suppose the world is cruel." Jeannine says, looking at me with guilt in her eyes. She's so very soft for someone with such presence. 


"I wouldn't say that. The world is not inherently cruel or merciful. While it might seem that way, it's important to remember that the world is the product of people. Even those people aren't inherently one way or the other. Becoming cruel is a choice. Cruel people are bound to make a cruel world."


"Yes, you're right." She nods.


The room goes silent for a moment. I am satisfied with the direction of the conversation thus far. It dawns on me that I have not addressed something important.


"You invited me to share my thoughts with you, particularly ones that could help you do better. Instead, I think it would be best if I asked you a question. Or rather, three."


"Please, ask me anything."


I decide to ask my questions in order of difficulty. She’ll be able to answer the first two, but the third will be difficult.


"While I don't personally blame you for what happened the other day, I cannot speak for everyone else. I know for a fact that many are now doubting 'Her Majesty's' ability to protect them. While you did address the situation, it's done little to calm the public. It goes without saying that this event won't be forgotten. My first question to you is, what are you going to do about it?"


Jeannine takes no time to answer. She has clearly given this plenty of thought already.


"First thing's first, I'm removing the spare key from outside and putting a new lock on my bedroom door. I will not wait for the landlord. Second, I'm going to dedicate as much time as it takes to help repair the damages. Third..." She hesitates. "...I'm going to add a new layer of protection to the city. I'm can't say what it will be yet, but it'll likely be entirely on my part."


"Hmm..." I cannot say I am surprised by her response. Those are the obvious solutions. Though, I am curious about the last part. I glance over at Nick, who seems just as curious. Has she not shared that information with him? That is a shock. "That's a good answer. I trust you'll do good on your word." 


"If you're talking about energy and resources, then yes." Nick cuts in. "We're self-sufficient as we'll ever be, given how we can't trade with or import from other cities. We still rely on her for food every so often. We also do not have room to bury our nonrecyclable waste. Jeannine helps out with all of that."


"I see. That leads me to my second question, have you arranged for the city to be taken care of if something were to happen to you?"


Jeannine takes a moment to think this time. It looks to me like she is considering options, meaning she hasn't. A few seconds later, she speaks up.


"While I have no intention of disappearing on you all, I admit that I didn't arrange for someone to take over. It isn't because I've put it off, though. Naturally, I can't trust just anyone with this. I have a few candidates, but I'm still working on it."


"I heard you have a friend who knows about us. What was her name, again?"


"Sara." Nick says, his face becoming pale. "She's-"


"She's on the list." Jeannine stops him before he can say any more. "But I wouldn't trust her. Not yet anyway."


I look at Nick, who clearly has something he wants to say. He's visibly agitated now, but he makes an effort to remain calm. For some reason, he doesn't comment on the girl again. I eye him curiously, wondering what that could be about. I heard the story of her suggestion to dispose of the city and its residents. Though, Jeannine immediately shut her down. I might have to investigate that later.


"And your third question, Rin?"


"Ah, yes. Forgive me, I was lost in thought." I audibly clear my throat. "My third question to you is, where is this going?"


Her eyebrows furrow as she hesitates. "I'm sorry, I don't follow."


I notice both her and Nick's confusion from my question. Perhaps I should elaborate.


"Magna Gratia." I say, flatly. "It's a wonderful place. I'm certain the city will continue to thrive for many years under your care. However, cities have far greater lifetimes than you or I. 


What will happen to it once you can no longer care for it? Young lady, you will eventually grow into a woman. You might be married, perhaps with children. Will you still be with us then?"


A cold silence freezes the two of them solid. I expected that sort of response from Nick, but not Jeannine. For someone so careful, did she really neglect to think that far ahead? I find that hard to believe. Unfortunately, her body language gives it away. Her fingers are clasped tightly now. She is also breathing faster, stirring up powerful winds over the tabletop. It blows my hair around.


"It's alright." I assure her. "You don't have to respond now. I know these are tough questions. That was intentional." I walk over to Nick and extend my hand to help him up. "This was a very productive meeting. Thank you for arranging it, Nick."


He takes my hand and I pull him up to his feet.


"It was my pleasure, ma'am." He says, clearly still distracted by my questions. He is hardly focused on me anymore.


I turn to Jeannine and address her as well.


"My mother left me with a golden standard, one which I hold myself to. It's because you remind me of her that I will hold you to that same standard. Do you understand what I'm saying?"


"I do. You've left me with a lot to think about."


"Good. I'm confident that when the time comes, you'll make the right choices." I give her an encouraging smile. "That's all I have to say. That concludes this meeting."


I walk closer to her hand and extend my arm. Knowing she probably can't see it; I make it known. "I never end a meeting without shaking hands. This is no exception." 


She hesitates but doesn't deny me. Her hands unclasp, and her right pointer finger extends toward me. Slowly, she lowers it to the table, before sliding it toward me. It stops a short walk from where I'm standing. I walk over to close the distance and touch the wall of flesh to complete the gesture. Her finger then retracts, moving far away.


"Now that the official matters have concluded, I'd like to say something 'off the books'."


"Please go ahead." Jeannine's calm expression returns.


"I am thoroughly impressed with the both of you. Despite your inexperience, you've managed to produce results. It isn't possible for one person to do everything, though many will try to regardless. Gathering and appointing people on the basis of ability is in itself a powerful skill. While you are not a leader, you are very good at rallying people. So are you, Nick." I acknowledge him with a slight nod. "That is why I will help you. Leave governance to me and the rest of the council so that you two can worry about the bigger issues. I will keep this city organized as it continues to grow, and I will do my best to put our citizen's worries to rest after the incident. In other words, Jeannine, you can lean on me."


"Figuratively, of course." Nick adds.


"Obviously..." The giantess sighs.


With my final remark, I've now said all that was on my mind. I begin walking back the way we came, gesturing for Nick to come along. He hurries to my side and the two of us walk back toward the cabin, all while Jeannine's gentle gaze follows us there.


Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=7928868