- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jeannine and Nick celebrate her good grades...

POV: Jeannine

---------

My eyes light up as my final’s grades appear on my laptop screen. I must hand it to my professors for delivering them so quickly. It's hardly been a week since the last of my exams.


"Straight A's, even in that one class I thought for sure I'd get a B in!" I cheer, my clasped hands pressed firmly to my mouth. I can't contain my smile! I'd be jumping for joy, if not for the city of people nearby who probably wouldn't appreciate the resulting earthquake.


From my seat at the desk, I lean over to my left, looking over to the corner of the room where Magna Gratia resides. It looks peaceful, as it should be. I'm sure most of the tinies are enjoying a relaxing weekend, not unlike myself. Summer break began last Friday, but I never really feel 'free' until I get my grades. Now that I have them, it's time to kick back and relax. It was a tough year, academically speaking. Next year will be my last before graduation. The way things are going, I might even get some award.


I feel like celebrating. I'd call Sara, but she's probably busy. Despite her worries, she ended up passing all her finals except one. Retakes will be sometime this week meaning she has a lot of studying to do. I bet she'd come out if I asked, which is why I'm not going to. Unfortunately, it was a core requirement, and I'd prefer to continue having my bestie, with me in my future classes.


Since Sara's unavailable, that leaves my other best friend. I pick up my phone and send Nick a text.


"hey"

"im going out to celebrate my grades."

"want to come along with me?"


I wait a few seconds before I see him come online. He's usually very quick with his replies.


"Sure! I'll be in the cabin in 30 minutes."

"See you soon."


While he gets ready, I get up and do the same. Heading over to my closet, I pick out a nice, blue sundress with a yellow floral pattern and change into it. 

I grab a pair of open pumps that complement the outfit nicely as well as a cute, matching purse. I tie my hair into a ponytail with a ribbon. Having my hair on my back in this heat would feel unpleasant. While I usually don't wear much makeup, I feel like it today. Nothing too fancy, just some mascara, lipstick, foundation, and concealer. Finally, I polish my nails and toenails as well.


I check myself in the mirror, satisfied with my look. It's pretty, without being provocative. A massive improvement from the stay-at-home look I've gotten far too used to. 


Exiting the bathroom, I head over to the city and carefully kneel. I put my earpiece in and look for Nick on the roof of the building where the earring is currently resting. 


"I'm inside. Ready when you are."


I give a silent nod and pick the earring up, putting it onto my right ear. Once it's secure, I stand up and head out of my apartment. 


"Someone looks especially nice today." He tells me. "I like what you did with your hair."


"Thanks! I just felt like it, you know?"


"It works! That's for sure. By the way, where are we going?"


"To the movies. They've got a great ice cream place there." I tell him while walking through the busy street. It's a Friday night, so I'm not surprised by the crowd. Thankfully the mall is only a few minutes away. We still have half an hour before the movie starts so there's no rush. "I'll be getting three scoops with extra toppings. I've earned it, haven't I?"


"You most certainly have. I'll be having some of that too."


"Of course. I wouldn't bring you along just to watch me indulge." I laugh. "I hope you like mint chocolate chip."


"I don't even know what that is."


"Really? Okay, we have to change that!"


A few minutes later we arrive at the mall. Squeezing past the hordes of people, I manage to make it to our destination. I approach the vendor and order my movie ticket, along with my ice-cream. 


Before I take a single spoon of it, I discreetly remove my earring and place it onto one of the scoops in the cup. I figure it'll be easier for Nick to open the hatch and take a taste than for me to try to offer some to him. I see the tiny door open as he steps out to collect some.


"Wow. That's amazing! I didn't think ice-cream would be so cold!" He laughs.


"It's literally in the name." I smile.


With my other hand, I grab the spoon and dip it into the same scoop he's on. I take a nice chunk of the stuff, careful to avoid taking him or the earring with me as I bring it to my mouth.


"Hey!" He complains. "Let me get back in before you start eating!"


"Sorry, couldn't wait any longer." I give him a cheeky smile. "Better hurry before I go for another spoonful."


Once he's safe and secure, I take the earring back and wipe it off with a napkin. I put it back on my ear and chat with the little guy while eating. I take my time, enjoying the taste and company until just before the movie is set to start. Throwing the empty cup away, I then head to screen five.


The next two and a half hours are relatively quiet. Nick comments every so often, though I can't respond. When the noise is loud enough, I do manage to sneak a word or two in. It's his first time seeing a movie, so I completely understand. This must be an experience for him. I'm happy he's enjoying it so much, even if it is some silly action flick, I'll forget about by next week. By the end of the movie, I find myself craving more ice-cream, but ultimately decide to hold off. I can't be eating that much in one day, lest it affect my figure.


I hurry out since I'm sure Nick has a lot he wants to say. We walk and talk as I head to the mall's exit.


"What a day! I never knew movies were so… so… wow.” Nick laughs. "Please tell me we can go again sometime. I managed to capture some of it on my camera to show the others, but the perspective is terrible. Everything on your scale just looks distorted." 

"I'm glad you enjoyed it, and sure, we can go again! I think you'll just have to deal with the perspective, though. I doubt I could make anything out on a cinema screen your size. Maybe next time we can compromise and watch a movie on my phone together?" I reply with a laugh of my own. 


I try to imagine what it must have looked like for him. It's not the first time I've tried to understand how Lillis see the world. In fact, the idea has been on my mind a lot lately; ever since I saw myself through his camera. It's just us now, so... Maybe I can finally bring it up?


"Though, what do you mean by distorted?" I ask him, curiously. "I thought we were just big to you."


"It's kind of hard to describe. It's a Lilli thing, I guess." He pauses to think. "Like, if you were just 'big', it wouldn't be so extreme. But you're massive, at least to me. You caught a glimpse of that when we video chatted, remember?"


"Right, yeah. It's easy to forget what I look like to you guys. I think I looked quite stunning in that video call, at least." I giggle. "Rather, however much of me you could fit in the frame."


Once we leave the mall, I decide to take us somewhere quiet, where I won't have to worry about being seen. I spot a bench and take a seat. There's no hurry to get home. Plus, I'd like to continue this conversation with him. I have more questions and I don't think I'd be comfortable asking anyone else.


At the risk of making things awkward, I decide to make a request.


"Hey, Nick." I begin, nervously. "Could you tell me what I look like to you?"


"What do you mean?"


"Describe me. I don't get to see myself from your perspective, so I'd like you to be my eyes into your world."


"Where'd that come from? Weird request, but okay." He chuckles. "I can't see much of your face from here, though. Just your cheek and hair."


"Oh, sorry! Here, hold on..." I quickly take my earring off and hold it about half an arm's length from my face. "How's the view now? Better?" 


"Well, at this distance I can see your whole face. It looks normal, unlike the one time when I was staring at your cavern of a mouth. It's like I'm seeing an actual face rather than some..." He trails off.


"Some? Some what?" I give him a warm smile. "It's just me, Nick. Be honest, I'm curious."


"...some strange, geological feature." He finally says.


"First you call me a heavy-duty crane and now a geological feature?" I laugh. "You have such a way with words."


"S-Sorry..."


"No, it's perfectly alright. I asked for honesty, didn't I?" I try to encourage him. "I find it fascinating to hear how you guys perceive me. Sure, you could just film me on your phone so I can see for myself, but that's not the same. I want to know what it's actually like from your perspective."


"Considering you've been showing me the world from your eyes, I guess it's only fair I do the same. I'll give it a shot. No filter, right?"


"Just don't get too carried away. I trust that even without a filter you can still stay respectful." I can't help but smirk a little as I move the earring a bit closer to my face, now just an of inch away. "What's the view like now? Getting closer to geological features again?"


I hold my breath as I await his response. I can't help but feel self-conscious right now. Though it was my idea to do this, I worry about what he might say next.


"Well..." He begins. "I'm getting pretty well acquainted with your nose, if that's what you mean. Looks like something jutting off a cliffside, but I can still tell that it's a nose. Oh, and nice pores, dude." 


"I see, so things change from normal to unrecognizable quite quickly, sort of the opposite of how I see you. From far away, Lillis and their structures don't look like anything special, easily mistaken for dust and pebbles. Lean in close, and you can actually make out what everything is." 


"Yeah, exactly. Put me too close and your lips become all I can see. Like, a wall of pink that just goes on and on. Same for your eye when you investigate the cabin to see me. One big pool of color."


I pause for a moment again before continuing. His answers are making me more curious by the minute. I feel like I'm starting to understand him better.


"Really?" I hear him laughing heartily. "Are you trying to show me your nostrils? I think I can see some hair-"


"Hey, don't look up my nose!" I blurt out, quickly moving the earring away. I bring my other hand to my nose to cover it, feeling embarrassed. He probably didn't appreciate being jerked around like that. Calming down, I put my other hand down and apologize for being unintentionally rough. "Sorry, I didn't mean to move you like that. Are you okay in there?"


He's silent for a few seconds before responding. "Y-Yeah. Doing fine. Umm..."


My gaze falls downward to my right hand, which I hadn't realized had been dangling the earring so, very close to my chest. I feel my face turning red. My first instinct is to move him away, but I don't. In moments like these, I feel it best to make a joke out of it. It's better than making things awkward, I think. I'll pretend it was intentional. 


"What's the matter? You were so eager to tell me how 'big' I was last time we had this talk."


A second silence comes from Nick, followed by an uncomfortable laugh. "Can't say I expected that, but sure. Let's keep this going." He clears his throat. "Big is an understatement. I'd look away, but it'd be pointless since it's all I can see. It's a good thing I'm not afraid of heights, because that canyon looks pretty...deep. But it sure beats your nose." 


I feel my face grow a deeper shade of crimson. Being in a dress like this means that I'm showing more skin than usual. It's not like I meant to dangle him there. What kind of perverted sights am I subjecting him to? Even so, his descriptions are flattering. 


"Don't worry, I think this is as far as you'll get. You're cute, but not that cute." I tease him. 


"Ouch!" Nick pretends to be hurt, unable to hold back a chuckle. "Fine, I prefer Lilli girls anyway. Too much woman for me to handle, realistically." He fires back.


I move the earring around and underneath my chest, eventually setting it down on the sundress' cloth in my lap. 


"Pfft. So, you can manage a city, but one girl is too much for you? Figures..." I poke at him. "Jokes aside, I'm sure a cute guy like you will make some lucky Lilli girl quite happy."


"Here's hoping I don't have to look up past a mountainous shelf just to see her face." He chuckles. "Seriously, it's hard to believe you're several kilometers away now, even though I've only moved down a little."


His comment gets a genuine chuckle out of me. Maybe it's the absurdity of this situation, but I found that comparison funny. "The only thing several kilometers away is my face. Technically, both that 'shelf' and the ground you're on are also still me. Is that part of the 'distortion'? Not quite taking it in that all that area around you is just one single person?"


"I struggle to wrap my head around that. In my mind I know that it's just you, Jeannine. My ridiculously big, stupidly kind, Brob friend. But...my eyes are telling me that I've gone off to some alien world. Your lap looks like a blue and yellow plain that just goes on endlessly. Your torso rises far beyond any building I've ever seen. The 'distortion' gets really bad now that I'm on you, like this. It's like zooming in too much." 


"It's amazing to think about. I think differences like these are so interesting. They ought to be appreciated more." Grabbing the earring again, I place it down onto the bench next to me before standing up. Satisfied with this admittedly odd conversation, I adjust my dress and prepare to walk home.


"Now there's a moon-sized rear right in my face. Just when I thought I was taking you all in, you suddenly 'grew'. You're towering, quite literally."


I turn around and put a hand on my hip. As much as I want to yell at him for that, I suppose I had it coming. I should've made it clear that 'this' was done.


"You can stop now. I get the message, I'm very big. Now stop ogling me already."


"Alright, alright. Sorry if I went overboard." He laughs, awkwardly. "How about I ask you something this time? What's it like to carry us? Like, having twenty lives all fit on your 'little' fingernail. I'm also curious." 


I hadn't expected him to ask something like that. I think for a moment, searching for the right words to describe the feeling. No one's ever asked me how I feel in these situations.


"Sure. Mentally, it's quite stressful because I don't want to hurt any of you. Having to be so careful with someone so frail, it can be daunting. Physically, it's easy. I barely even notice that you're there, which is part of what makes me worry." I pause again to think, before continuing. "If I'm being honest, it can be enjoyable too. Though, I try not to let it get to my head. Knowing I can effortlessly lift a whole group of people makes me feel powerful. Like, I matter."


"But you do matter! I'd like to think we'd have been just as good friends if you were a Lilli, or vice versa." Nick's tone becomes more sincere as he continues. "I sleep better knowing that someone as powerful as yourself uses it to help those who are weaker. 


I kind of understand why some Brobs think so little of us. We're weak and fragile, compared to you. You've got more strength in your pinky finger than fifty of us combined. Yet, you're humble about it. I respect that. Seriously, I do."


"Aww, Nick, don't be like that! Physical strength isn't everything, look at how much you guys accomplished in such a short time! You built a better city in less than a year than we've Brobs done in decades! It's easy to be destructive, but it takes real dedication to be constructive. I think you guys are still way ahead of us in that regard. I only wish the others would see it..."


I pause again, pondering the situation as I stare down at the earring on the bench.


"Do you have any more questions?" Nick asks. "I think I can do one more before this gets to be too much for both of us."


"Well..." I say, picking the earring back up "There is one last thing..." I crouch down to gently place the earring on the ground, between my sandal-clad feet. Afterward, I stand back up at full height, using my hands to hold my dress close to my legs. After my carelessness a moment ago, I'm not going to give him a view up my dress too. "I know this is your guys' usual perspective, but I never really got a description of what I look like from all the way down there. Last time you were on the table. So, one last description please."


"Yes, ma'am." Nick takes a good long look before speaking. "Well, your chest is in the way again. That's about as high as I can see. It gets blurry after that, to be honest. I can see fuzzy shapes, but no details. From down here, you look much more imposing. Your legs just go on and on... Your foot's the size of the plaza and you've got this powerful, otherworldly presence. I feel like I'm standing before..." He goes quiet for a moment, trying to find the right word. "...a goddess." 


However red my face was before, it was nothing compared to this very moment. I can't even look in his direction, I'm so flustered. Not because of the word, but because I know that he's being totally honest.


"Don't start with the goddess stuff now, I thought we already discussed that!" I huff in annoyance as I bend down to pick her earring back up. "Yes, I might be strong and big but that's where the comparison ends. Maybe you just can't think straight after so much excitement in one day." I continue while putting it back on my ear. "That aside... Thanks for being my eyes into the Lilli world Nick, I enjoyed it. And I'm pretty sure you did too, one way or another."


"Y-Yeah, sorry. That's what happens when I turn off my filter." He apologizes. "You're very welcome! Honestly, it was funny when you held me over your-"


"Don't you dare finish that sentence."


"Yeah. That might be for the best."


"And not a word of this to anyone." I say softly.


"Wouldn't dream of it." He promises. "Shall we head home?"


"Yeah. I think we've both learned enough for one day."


Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=7928868