- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A new character shares her views on Magna Gratia...

POV: Saverine

---------

"I'm going for a walk. Does anyone need anything?"


"We're good, Mom. Do you think you'll be out long?" My daughter asks me, cheerfully. 


The eagerness in her tone is hurtful, though she doesn't seem to realize that. Thankfully, Robin is far better at reading the room.


"Sophie means to ask if you'll be coming home before dark." He looks at her, then back at me. "Right, honey? Ma?"


"Y-Yes! Exactly that, Mom."


"Mhm." I make no effort to suppress my wry smile. "I'll suppose I'll take my time..." 


I quietly shut the door behind me as I leave, knowing full well what will be going on while I'm away. Any young, newlywed couple wants their alone time. I only wish she'd communicate that with me, rather than patiently hoping I'll choose to leave. Having her mother in the same house is stifling, I know, but the three of us agreed to live together. I'm a reasonable person and I respect boundaries. Being treated this way makes me feel like a nuisance, and as her mother, I deserve better. If not for Robin being there, I would have given her a well-deserved verbal lashing.


"She's lucky to have him. He probably could have done better." I joke to myself.


Her husband, my precious son-in-law, is one of a few people that I respect. He's strong, both physically and in character, with a type of charisma that reminds me a lot of myself. Most importantly, he loves Sophie and treats her well. As a parent, I couldn't ask for more. 


But I am not just a parent. I am the Matriarch of the Sablé clan. After over two decades of leadership, the time for a new leader had arrived. Robin was the best candidate, and I would have loved nothing more than for him to succeed me. But that was before we came here, to this city founded by a Brobdingnagian.


"Magna Gratia." I say, the words feeling strange on my tongue. "How grandiose."


"Ori, what does gran-dee-oos mean?" A child's voice repeats after me.


I stop in my tracks, not realizing I'd been been speaking aloud. 


As does the young woman whose hand, he's holding. We stare at each other for a moment. She seems to be gauging my reaction, wondering if I've been offended somehow. Meanwhile, the little boy just stares at his mother curiously, waiting for the answer to his question.


"It means 'over the top'." I tell him, matter-of-factly. "As in very impressive."


"Ohhh..." He nods. 


"That's a big word! Say thank you to the nice lady, Lou."


"Thank you!" He beams at me.


"It's no trouble at all." I smile.


"Where are my manners? My name is Orina." She extends a hand toward me. "It's very nice to meet you."


"I'm Saverine. And likewise." I shake her hand. "Are you his mother?"


"No, not exactly." She puts her hands on his shoulders, pulling him close. "I look after him. We aren't related but he's family."


The two of them look at each other. It's clear to me that they're very close. The way she describes their relationship reminds me of my clan. 


"How sweet. Family is far more than just blood, I say."


"Definitely." She nods enthusiastically. "We were just on our way to city hall. Would you care to join us?" 


I'd intended to walk to the end of the street and turn back. Come to think of it, I'm sure Robin wouldn't mind me staying away for a while longer. And I haven't yet had the chance to explore the city properly either. 


"I'd like that. Good company is always welcome."


Following the two of them out of the neighborhood, we head toward city hall. It doesn't take long to get there, since the streets are relatively empty. People here are allowed to rest on weekends, which is such a foreign concept to me. There was hardly a day I didn't work back home. The lack of activity is somewhat uncomfortable.  Those thoughts occupy my mind until we arrive at the plaza.


The square is wide and spacious. In the middle sits a rather large white building with columns and eye-catching architecture. 


The street transitions into an intricate path leading up to the building's steps. Along it are two rows of trees with flowers of various colors in full bloom. I look down at my feet at the path, taking note of the expert masonry. Whoever was responsible for it deserves praise. Their effort really shows in every brick and tile. The building itself is no less fancy. A large, white dome I can only describe as 'proud' sits atop the structure. The façade is covered in sculptural elements depicting figures such as people, animals, and nature. As we approach the entrance, I notice more overhangs and eaves embellishing windows. The more I inspect, the more I discover. Although I generally prefer practicality to flair, this place is surely a treat for the eyes.


A true work of art.


"What do you think?" Ms. Orina asks me, smiling gleefully. "Beautiful, isn't it?" 


"Yes, very. We never had anything like this where I'm from. Then again, we never stayed in one place for long."


I approach one of the columns and place a hand on it. The marble is smooth to the touch, and slightly cool. Each column is a single piece. Placing each one using only manpower would have been an impossible task, even with my clan's numbers. We never had machinery to help us when we built our settlements. I'm curious if we would have been able to do the same, given the resources. Looking past the pillar, I peer into the building's entrance. There are no doors, as if to say, 'come right in'. In the middle of the reception, I notice a large statue in the middle of a fountain. It's a figure of a woman with her hands out, holding a heart-shaped stone. The statue is very detailed feels rather symbolic in nature. I soon realize who it is.


"That statue in there." I point right at it. "Is that the Brob girl?"


 "It's Jeannine, yes. We wanted to commemorate her for all of her kindness." 


"I've heard stories. I can't say I've ever seen so much affection for a Brob." I shake my head. 


"Our kind typically views them with either scorn or terror. For those feelings to have changed, and in so many people..."


"Well, Jeannine is a very special person. I doubt any have as much compassion for us as she does. 


"Could be. But I wouldn't bet on it."


"She gave me chocolate!" Louis chimes in. "I love her!"


The fact that a child as young as him can say such things affirms my suspicions. This girl must be quite the character. This city's love for her is real. 


"Ms. Sablé, may I ask you something?"


"You may."


"Does it bother you that she's a Brob?"


I consider my next words carefully. My feelings towards the giants are not uncommon among our people. In fact, I'd argue the majority share my beliefs. As Jeannine, it would be unfair to make a judgement at this time. I'm not sure how I feel, to be honest. While I'm busy deciding how best to respond, a man walks out of the building toward us. I recognize him immediately as the Brob girl's representative. He was with the giantess when they offered us a place in this city, riding along in that accessory of hers.


"Good afternoon, Nick. How have you been?" Orina greets him with a hug. She's being friendly with him. I take it that they must know each other. "Lou and I were here on time. You're late, as usual."


"Yeah, yeah. Sorry for having meetings literally all day. Maybe next time I'll tell the city to manage itself." He fires back, sarcastically. He kneels by Louis and the two of them bump fists. After that, he stands up and turns to me, extending a hand. "Hello, Chief. Have you and your people been settling in nicely?"


"Slowly, but surely. It will take some time for everyone to integrate."


"I wasn't aware that the two knew each other." Orina adds.


"Seriously? How could I not know the Matriarch of the Sablé clan? She's sort of a big deal!" He laughs. "They're the biggest group we ever brought in. A whopping seven hundred Remnants." 


"Seven hundred twenty-three, to be exact." I correct him.


"My apologies." He bows his head for me.


"That's incredible. I've never heard of a settlement that big before. What an achievement..."


"It's my life's work. Bringing people together, expanding our family--it's something I'm proud of.


"I can imagine." She applauds me. "Over seven hundred individuals..."


"Is that a lot?" Louis asks, innocently.


"It's more than you can count on your fingers, buddy." Nick chuckles.


"I should get going now." I tell them. Standing here with the three of them is nice, but it's about time that I head home. Before that, though, I believe Ms. Orina and Mr. Nick had business together. I'm curious about that. "I wouldn't want to barge in on your meeting here."


"No, that's perfectly alright. The news is going to be public tomorrow morning, I just wanted to tell Ori in person." He opens his briefcase and presents each of us with a flyer. It's an ad for an upcoming election. There are openings for several seats on the soon-to-be city parliament. After giving us a few seconds to read, he proceeds to explain in further detail. "As you know, things have been getting pretty crazy over here. Jeannine and I had a long talk about what to do about it and we agreed it would be best to establish a proper government in the form of a council. Seats are open to anyone. Those with the most votes will have a seat, meaning they'll get to play a part in managing Magna Gratia's affairs. I was wondering if you'd like to run, Ori?"


"Me? Thank you, but I must decline. A position such as that would be far too stressful. I have enough of a headache dealing with Lou."


"Hey!" He objects, glaring up at her.


"Hey, yourself." She ruffles his hair.


"I thought you might say that. Thought I'd give it a shot anyway." He shrugs. His then attention turns to me. "And you, ma'am? You've had years of experience in leadership. The role would fit someone like you really well." 


"Mm. I'll give it some thought." I tell him, folding the paper in half. "Thank you."


"No problem. I've got a long day ahead of me, so I think I'll head home now. Take care, ladies. And Louis!"


"You too, Nick." Ms. Orina tells him as he walks away. She checks the time on her watch. "I think we should be heading home as well. It's almost dinnertime, and Lou's been walking for too long already."


"That's a shame. It was nice meeting you, Ms. Orina. Thank you for showing me around."


"You're very welcome. We live in Block A, by the way. Feel free to swing by."


"I live with my daughter in Block W. I'll be sure to, if time allows it."


"Have a safe walk home."


The two of them leave, heading in the opposite direction. I head back the way we came toward my daughter's apartment. Indeed, it is getting late. There's still daylight, but the sun is setting and the streetlights have already come on. Despite that, I take my time walking back. Sophie is lucky to have a mother as considerate as me. While I walk, my mind drifts back to about a month ago. I reflect on the events that led to my clan's migration, specifically the day we met Jeannine.


We were a nomadic group. We would move from place to place in search of food, resources, and other settlements. Sometimes we'd take shelter in the city, other times we'd invade a Brob's home. Our latest settlement had been in a forest. I'd picked a spot that no giant could ever notice. We'd been there for only a few days when she came. I remember the panic that followed. A young, Brob woman in her early twenties had found us. She crouched down by the tree we'd made our home, studying it curiously. It scared the children and the adults alike. How had she singled out this one tree out of the hundreds in the area? There are things that the Brob eye simply cannot see. It made no sense. The chances of such a thing were astronomical. 


That was what I'd thought, until she placed her earring down on the ground. Out from it emerged a fellow Lilliputian, who thoroughly explained their intentions. Most were too shocked by the giantess to process what was happening. I, however, listened with bated breath. What he told me sounded too good to be true. I was skeptical, to say the least. But he came prepared. Out of his pocket came a photograph of the place he'd been describing. Their offer came at no price, either.


Being part of the Sablé clan means being comfortable with change. Nothing stays the same for long. You must be ready for whatever is thrown your way. While many of the clan's senior members objected to the idea, I was intrigued. A lifestyle like ours offers safety, but at a cost. We're quite primitive, especially in the area of medicine. Moving the sick, old, and wounded is a challenge. Nothing in this world matters more to me than them. Everyone must be comfortable, healthy, and happy. That was the approach I took as I grew our clan bigger than anything either of my parents could have dreamed of. Although this would be a drastic change, it felt right.


So, I accepted the offer.


A day later, she returned to take us to her home. We gathered everything we had and gathered in each of several glass vials she had on her person. A short time later, we found ourselves in a place unlike anything we'd ever dreamed of. It was like we'd been thrust out of the dark ages and straight into the future. Most of the objectors from the other day quickly shut their mouths. The next month was spent allocating homes and food rations as we settled into our new home. Due to our numbers, we were told to group up in homes to ensure everyone had a place to stay. Hence, why I live with my daughter.


Personally, I've some trouble settling in. Now that everyone is being taken care of, I have far less to think about. Any plans I had for succession have become obsolete. It's a good thing, I suppose, but it leaves me without purpose. I feel I could be doing more. Leading a clan was one thing, but a city is something else altogether. I don't know these people, nor their stories. The populations is also many times what I was responsible for. If I am to even consider running for office, I would need to do some research first. As I am now, I am grossly unqualified.


"I need to observe." I say to myself. "Listen, learn, and understand. And my clan too..."


I realize that whether I or not, my clan will always look to me for guidance. I won't be able to provide that without a firm understanding of this place and its people. This could serve both purposes. My approach to campaigning would be going door to door talking to strangers. I'd be seeking their vote, while also hearing their stories. They will provide me a window into many things, particularly what I'm most interested in.


Jeannine.


Although I don't dislike the girl, I would be a fool to blindly believe what I'm told. I've observed her for long enough on my own. Ms. Orina's impression, although positive, was just one of many. It's time that I find out from others. Once I do, I'll discover what kind of person she is. Only then will I be able to give Ms. Orina's question a proper answer.


There is much work to be done.


Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680