- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jeannine and Nick talk about how far MG has come...

POV: Jeannine

---------

"That last exam was surprisingly easy." I laugh. "I almost regret studying so hard."


"Happy for you. Meanwhile, I'm praying that I didn't fail." Sara groans.


My best friend and I ride the bus back from campus. After a week of intense exams, it's a relief to be done with all of that stress. Now that the summer break is starting, I'll won't have nearly as much to worry about until I begin my fourth and final year next fall. 


"I'm sure you did fine. You attempted every question, and the last section was worth a third of the grade."


"Meh. I was writing until they called for 'pens down'. I spent wayyy too long on those MCQs."


"But those were so easy!" I tease her. "Practically copy-paste from the homework assignments."


"You're assuming I did those assignments!" She half laughs, half cries. "Whatever. This is your stop, right? Go away already, you nerd."


"Alright, alright." I sigh, shuffling over her to leave the bus. "See you later, slacker."


I hop off and continue down the street back to my apartment building. I'm in an especially good mood today, not just because of the test, but because it's meeting day with Nick. He told me he had some kind of 'very serious discussion' planned, refusing to elaborate further even after I pestered him. It's been on my mind all week. The suspense is killing me. I ride the elevator up to my floor and hurry over to my apartment. As soon as I enter, I toss my bag onto the dining table and head to my room.


"Hello, little ones. I hope you're having a wonderful day! I know I am."


I approach the corner of my room, kneeling before the plot of land I made just six months ago. It's unrecognizable now, having grown from a humble village to a respectable town, and now a magnificent city. Miniature vehicles drive down an intricate network of roads and highways. Buildings, each many floors high, house hundreds of tiny residents. The former town hall at the center of the plot has become a city hall, the size of a baseball. 


There's even a wide-open park, located just south of the downtown area. Even the districts from the early days have modernized. Every bit of space I've given has been utilized to its fullest. It feels like it’s alive.


Magna Gratia, the city in the corner my bedroom floor, has become far more impressive than I ever could have hoped.


"I'm so proud." I whisper, smiling affectionately.


I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, pulling it out to see a message from Nick. It reads, "I'm at the station. Pick me up?".


"Okay. I'll be right there." I say, not bothering to text back. It's not as if he can't hear me when I'm so close by. My eyes fall on the station, a building build specifically with a large, flat roof in the west side. Though we don't use it as much now, it used to be a place for me to drop resources for them. As the city grew, it became too dangerous for me to stick my fingers into it. There's no telling what kind of damage I might cause. Nowadays, I use it as the place to pick up specific tinies when I need them. My eyes narrow, trying to make out the tiny speck atop the roof. "Ah, there you are. Here, climb on."


I carefully place my fingernail on the roof, offering a ride. He climbs on and I take him with me outside to the dining table. I set him down gently and starting a video call on my phone. He's dressed smartly in a suit and tie. I can't help but notice he's sporting a goatee now too. It could use some work...


"Hey, glad you did well on your exams. We were all rooting for you."


"How did you know?" I ask him, taking my seat at the table.


"You seem in a cheerful mood, so I just assumed. Was I right?"


"Well, I won't know until next week, but I'm feeling pretty confident."


"Awesome. I expect no less from 'the goddess'." He teases me, knowing full well how embarrassing that title is.


I can't help but smile at hearing at. It's not the first time someone has called me that. 


Many of the newer citizens began referring to me as a 'goddess' upon arriving in the city. It would seem that my kindness has earned me a divine status. It's all very endearing, honestly. I only hope that the title is meant figuratively. I'm no deity, obviously, but it is nice to be appreciated.


"They're still calling me that. How silly of them."


"I'm just teasing you." Nick chuckles. "Those who know you better just say it to flatter you."


"It's kind of them, if not a bit over the top."


"Yeah. I mean, jumping straight to 'goddess' makes me feel like they've got little imagination. I mean, there's 'saint', 'angel', 'paragon'..." He stops himself abruptly, clearing his throat. "Err, sorry."


"No, no, please continue!" I laugh. "That was great."


"Heh. Okay, let's get back to business before I make that head of yours any bigger."


"Hehe. Alright..." I say with a cheeky smile.


"Okay..." He flips through his notes. "Here's the information you requested last week, and some other stuff I thought you should know."


He goes through the topics one by one, updating me on the status of the city. His delivery is concise, but not lacking in detail. He doesn't waste any time, nor is he reluctant to share any bad news with me. I appreciate that a lot. He's become very skilled at his job, despite his silliness. Not only do I trust him as my main source of news, but I’ve also grown to deeply respect him as a person. Nick is someone I'm proud to call my friend. His presentation covers the most important issues of the week, as well as updates from the last few months. It's a lengthy info-dump.


Par for the course when you're managing an entire city. 


He tells me about the population, which has grown too big for me to keep track of anymore. The exact number is 5736. That sudden explosion is the product of our hard work. 


Every weekend, he and I would venture out to different place in search of Remnant and Borrower settlements. It was slow at first, but we quickly picked up speed over the last few months. With his guidance, we were bringing in over a thousand a month. So many people, once displaced and struggling, are now hard-working citizens of the city.


He moves on to the integration process, which has not been without its troubles. The last arrival of Lillis found it especially hard to get used to urban life after spending so long living as scavengers. It's no surprise, given how it's been this way for every new group. The first 'new' group after my original twenty had a rough time, even though they were only fifteen people. It's a slow process, but everyone finds their place here one way or another.


We don't have a city slogan, but I believe, 'Magna Gratia, the city of New Beginnings,' has a nice ring to it.


The part when he talks about advancements in technology is always my favorite part. While I'm certainly no 'tech person', I do appreciate their incredible inventions. Icarus's lab is always pushing the boundaries. The city's wireless network, renewable energy system, and mobile phones are just a few of the projects he's completed. Once upon a time, I remember him joking about inventing flying cars. Now I'm starting to think he just might do it. Lilli technology tends to be very advanced, after all. He described their network as both 'independent' and 'dependent', since it uses my home wi-fi, but also doesn't? I know better than to try to understand it. All that matters is that it has given me convenient access to Nick when I'm not home. Now I worry less when I'm out and about, since I'm only ever a call away.


In terms of resources and food, the city is as close to self sufficient as can be. They produce ninety-percent of their food and recycle sixty percent of their waste. Those numbers put my own city to shame. 


A month's worth of their garbage is less than what I throw out every few days. It's truly remarkable. Each new group of Lillis brings new talents and ideas that the city lacked. The knowledge gaps that the first twenty suffered from have been more than compensated for.


"That about sums it up. If there's anything you need me to clarify just give the word."


"Excellent work as always, mister representative. I have no further questions."


"Cool. Meeting over." He says, switching off from work-mode. He puts his notes away in his briefcase and loosens his tie. Usually, he's the one to end the call. I'm inclined to end it myself, until he continues talking. "Since you've got none, can I ask you something?"


"Of course. Is it business or personal?"


"Umm, a bit of both? Depends on your answer, probably."


I give him a curious look, encouraging him to go on. He's silent for a time, which is very out of character. Just as I'm about to speak, he lets out a long, exasperated sigh. He follows this with a groan and a series of quiet mumbles I can't quite make out.


"Nick?" I ask, starting to be concerned.


"Sorry." He finally says, scratching the back of his head. He's struggling to make eye contact with me through our screens. "It's just that I'm trying to find the right words. I don't want it to sound like a complaint."


My expression becomes serious. I sit up in my chair, leaning forward slightly. A complaint? What could he have to complain about? His report was overflowing with good news. I can't imagine what there would be to complain about. Unless... Is it about me? That might explain why he's suddenly become so nervous. I'm not someone who is easily offended. He knows he can tell me anything, doesn't he? I would hope so.


"It's about this job. The role of 'representative', as we've been calling it."


"Oh. Yes, that." I sigh in relief. Somehow, I expected it to be far worse. I have a bad habit of assuming the worst possible outcome. "What's the issue, exactly?" 


"Well, as you know, the city has undergone rapid growth in the last few months. With the help of people far smarter than myself, I've managed to keep things under control thus far. The problem is that I don't think I can continue like this. It's too much for just one person."


"I wasn't aware you were under so much stress. I'm sorry for not realizing sooner." I say, making no effort to hide my guilty expression. "Are you asking for some time off or...?"


"Don't get me wrong, this isn't me stepping down. I love this job, especially getting to work so closely with you." He confesses, winking at the camera. "What I'm trying to say is that I think another person, or even persons, could help reduce the load on my shoulders."


"That's perfectly reasonable. You have my approval." I nod in agreement. "What kind of structure were you thinking?"


"I believe a council or parliament would be best. It'd be ten to twenty members, though I'm unsure if they should be appointed or voted in. If it were up to me, I'd appoint those from the first twenty of us, since we practically founded the city. Plus, we know it best."


"Mhm, that's tricky. We wouldn't want people to think we're playing favorites. Seniority only goes so far, especially with politics."


"Yeah, that's exactly why I'm having such a hard time. These are big decisions. I can't be making them alone."


"A mayor or Prime minister would be responsible for those."


"Yeah... It's looking like they want me in that position, unqualified as I am."


"You're too hard on yourself. I can't think of anyone who'd do the job better."


"I guess..." He groans, shrugging indifferently. "It is what it is."


"We do what we have to. Everyone has a part to play. Yours is just bigger than most, being in charge and all."


"The position just means I'll be managing the city. When people think of 'leadership', I'm not the guy who comes to mind, you know?"


If not you, then who else?"


He simply stares at me through the screen, giving me a funny look. It takes me a moment before I realize what he's insinuating.


"Me?" I blink twice, wondering if I misheard him just now. "You can't be serious. Do you guys really think that way? I'm not looking to become 'Mayor Jeannine'."


"Eh, not quite. They see you as more of a 'Queen Jeannine'."


"That's a new one." A blush forms on my face and my smile from earlier returns. "I did say I was open to cute nicknames."


"It's just one of many the newer arrivals came up with. Us OGs prefer just Jeannine."


"If it's between 'goddess' and 'queen', let them know I'd prefer the latter. As for leading them, I'm not interested."


"Really? Huh." He nods. "Can I share something with you? Purely hypothetical."


"Sure, I'm listening."


"In my time managing the city, I've mostly just kept things...organized. Well, even that might be a stretch. I've been keeping things stable. It's been sort of a 'Rubber Bands and Chewing Gum' situation, if I'm honest." He sighs, taking a seat to rest his legs. He rests his head on his hand, keeping his phone camera aimed at his face as he explains. "Ultimately, the ten rules you gave us do more than I ever could. Do you know why that is?"


"Because they're fair?"


"Yes, but it's more than that. It's because you set them." He points a finger at me through the camera. "You're the reason the city exists in the first place. Every one of us owes our life to you. It's not an exaggeration to say that the people here adore you. But more importantly, they respect you. That grants you a level of authority that I don't."


"Authority, huh? I never considered that, to be honest." I think aloud, finding truth in his words. "But my role in caring for the city and its people has always centered around nurture. I help when I'm needed, but I don't ever take the lead. The city wouldn't be nearly as amazing if I'd designed it, let alone told you how to build it." 


"It's more about guidance than leadership, really. Poor choice of words on my part."


"How do you mean?"


"Back when we were still a humble town, there was this sense of unity. It still exists, but to a lesser extent. Everyone knew each other, and you, personally. Bringing in so many new people has made that kind of thing unfeasible. Not to mention, we brought in entire settlements. Once upon a time, we were all on the same page about everything. Nowadays, everyone and their dog seems to have a different opinion on what should happen in the city. An opinion from you is all it takes to sway people, given how much they look up to you."


"I'm not sure how I feel about that..." I cross my arms over my chest, tapping my finger on my arm. Even hypothetically, the idea seemed ludicrous, but now I'm beginning to see his point. The way he describes it, I'd be something of a figurehead. Considering I set the ten rules that govern their people, it's impossible to deny that my role has been an active one. The system he's suggesting is every bit as interesting as it is needed. And I don't believe in rejecting a proposal unless you have an alternative. "Is this still hypothetical, Nick?"


"Mostly. What I'm trying to say is that you're very influential. That has nothing to do with any titles."


"I suppose I am." I laugh. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I take it that my role isn't going to change?"


"Not really. Your opinion might be needed every now and then, but we can govern ourselves."


"There are a few things I need to clarify." I clear my throat and count them on my fingers. "I'd prefer if you'd elect the members of your council, since I'm against the idea of appointing people. Also, I'm hoping you'll remain my representative? Elected officials may join us in our meetings, but I prefer to deal with you directly."


"Aww..." He coos, making me feel embarrassed. "I wouldn't have it any other way. And yes to both."


"That settles it then. I humbly accept my new title of Queen." 


Despite trying to seem serious, merely calling myself royalty elicits a goofy smile. I can't help it. It's the same feeling I get when I'm compared to a goddess. These titles that the little ones give me are oh so flattering, but I try not to let them go to my head. That wouldn't be healthy.


"Oh, and would you please tell everyone to quit calling me 'goddess'? Jokes aside, I think it's gone on long enough. I wouldn't feel right if they started genuinely believing it."


"Sure, I guess. Though, I hope you know that we're not so primitive as to believe you Brobs are 'ascended beings'. Anyone who genuinely does probably has a screw loose."


"I would hope so. We're all just people, after all."


"But you know... I can't blame them for thinking that way. Like, just look at you."


"Thanks. I'm flattered." I roll my eyes.


"No, it's not like that. Ugh. Let me just show you. Would you mind standing up for me?"


I raise a brow at him. Without jostling the table, I push my seat back and stand up. My phone is still in my hand as I stare at him curiously through the screen, not quite sure what he's up to.


"Okay, I'm turning the camera around. Look at what we see from down here. It's the closest thing I have to the 'Lilli perspective'.


As he points the camera up at me, my screen becomes filled with a view of something huge. It's so big that I can hardly make it out. It's a wall of color in the distance, possibly fabric? I squint at my phone, at which point it becomes clear what I'm looking at. That 'huge' object is my leg. My left thigh, to be exact. It stretches well beyond the width of the screen. Nick then pans up to show the rest of me. It's difficult to get my entire body in the frame, for obvious reason. I'm massive, bigger than anything I've ever seen. I always knew that the Lillis were small, but this view is ridiculous! It almost feels like a trick of perspective. 


Without thinking, I slowly extend my arm toward Nick, watching it move on my screen. His entire sky becomes filled with the palm of my hand. Not my entire hand, just a small section of it.


"Oh my. I never imagined... I am so..."


I'm at a loss for words. The true scale of things is far greater than I thought I understood. That Lilli-sized camera lens is giving me a window into Nick's world. It makes me wonder what the city might look like from street view. This could teach me a lot about the Lilliputian experience. I doubt any of my kind have ever had a window into their world, at least not like this. I'm surprised neither of us thought of it sooner. It gives me an idea; something I might have Daedalus or Icarus look into for me. I make a mental note of that for later.


"Yup. You are definitely very... Big."


My moment of wonder is unceremoniously ended as Nick aims the camera straight at my chest. I lower my phone and glare at him, my other hand resting on my hip impatiently. He takes the hint and switches the camera back to face him.


"Sorry." He laughs, not sounding the least bit apologetic. "I couldn't resist."


"Mhm." I give him my side and bump the table with my hip. I watch the tiny pervert fall hard on his butt. "Resist harder next time."


"Message received." He gives me a genuinely apologetic look through the camera, getting back on his feet. "Won't happen again."


"We'll see." I smirk, ending the call and switching to our earpieces. I'm not even that upset, but it's better that he doesn't know that. I'm not embarrassed by my body, nor do I care who stares. I offer him my fingernail for him to climb on. Once he does, I lift him up to my face more roughly than usual, just to give him a scare. I then hold him in front my eyes. Although we have our video calls now, it's nice to see him 'properly' occasionally. He appears to be yelling at me, but I pretend not to see it. It's funnier that way. 


I then lower my finger until its hovering by my blouse and walk back into my room. 


"There you go." I say, kneeling by the city's border. My finger touches down on the station's roof, allowing Nick to climb off. As I retract my hand, I move it to my mouth to blow him and everyone else a big kiss. "Have a wonderful day!"


I stand back up and turn, giving the city my back as I leave the room. As soon as I turn the corner, I fall back against the wall and slide downward until I'm sitting on the floor. I put my hands on my face and close my eyes. Images of myself from Lilli perspective fill my head. It was so surreal... As much as I hate to admit it, I now understand how the 'goddess' title came about. I'm well aware of how much stronger I am than them. That power is something I'm very careful not to take lightly, let alone abuse. Everything is relative. I'm not some divine entity, I know that well. And yet, many of my kind believe themselves to be just that. If not gods, then at least genetically superior. I'm not sure which idea I hate more.


But it also makes me feel very special. To be seen as benevolent, powerful, and transcendent as a goddess. I mean, what person wouldn't blush at the idea? It's empowering!


"What am I saying? Nothing has changed. Not really, anyway."


Despite my new title, it's not as significant as I first thought it would be. If anything, it's more like a symbol. I'm not expecting anyone to address me as 'Her Highness' and bow. That's not the relationship I want with the people I share my home with. Naturally, there may be some tough decisions to make, but nothing I can't handle. I've been doing well so far, despite a healthy amount of self doubt. Every new step is scary until you take it. This is no different. I'll continue to be as patient, gentle, and more importantly, careful as I've always been. 


I will not disappoint Magna Gratia.


Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680