- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Nick and Jeannine seek out their first Remnant settlement...

POV: Nick

---------

"I can't believe we're doing this. It sounded so good on paper, but I'm starting to have second thoughts."


"You have no reason to be nervous. If anything happens, just call for me." Jeannine reminds me. I watch her move finger move closer to her earring, stroking it gently.


The two of us are back in the park, walking along the trail that loops through the nearby woods. We chose to do this at night, when the park is nearly empty. That way she can talk to me without worry of standing out. It's also helpful to have less eyes on us when we find what we're looking for. 


"I know, but still..." I sigh. "My part is a lot harder than yours."


Jeannine is relying on me to lead her to a Remnant settlement. Once we're there, I'll try to convince them to come with us. All she has to do is carry them.


"Definitely." She nods. "But I believe in you. If anyone can pull this off, it's you, Nick."


"You put too much faith in me, dude." I groan, feeling a bit better about it. Something about her tone is reassuring. "But thanks. I'll try my best."


I notice her arm reaching behind her to feel her backpack. Her hand presses against the main pocket, feeling for our cargo. I suppose it's a nervous tic of hers, one I won't comment on. Better to pretend I didn't notice that to make her feel self conscious about it. More importantly, the thing she's been compulsively checking on is a 'small' case, modified by Daedalus for transporting people our size. Speaking in Lilli terms, it's easily as big as a city block. There are separate sections inside for cargo and passengers. The passenger side boasts a hundred seats, each fitted with and adjustable harness. The cargo side has a greater capacity than a freighter. Should they agree to come along, they won't have to leave a single one of their belongings behind.


"When should we leave the path?" She asks me, stopping to look around.


"Now's good. Do you know what to look for?" 


"Yes, I remember. Fresh water and any big trees without signs of animals or insects."


"Exactly. Think, 'where would I hide out if I was small'. It'll be easier for you to look for that. My eyes can't see as far as yours, especially from this high up."


My comments cause her to giggle. "Fair point."


The two of us go pretty quiet as Jeannine makes her way through the woods. Without the light of lampposts, we have to rely on her phone's flashlight as we go. She walks slower now, constantly looking back and forth for any signs of a settlement. I'm feeling incredibly nervous, imagining all the ways this could go wrong. She notices this and decides to chat about a different subject to distract me.


"I know it isn't meeting day, but I'd like to talk about the town if that's okay with you."


"Uhh, s-sure. Yeah, ask away."


"How are things going? I remember Daedalus saying that we're right on track."


"We are, mostly. Aside from a few hiccups here and there, we've set the foundations for Magna Gratia to progress from a town to a city. Though, it feels like we're jumping the gun."


"I can't say I agree with that." She grunts while hopping over a sizeable puddle. Her movements jostle my cabin somewhat, prompting her to apologize. "Sorry about that. You good in there?"


"I'm fine, don't worry." 


"What was I saying? Oh, right. I disagree because I'm expecting your numbers to grow very rapidly soon. You may just be twenty now, but you'll soon reach fifty. And then a hundred, and so on. Your humble, little town might be spacious, but it'll lack the resources to accommodate so many people. Just think about it for a second."


"You're probably right." I shrug. "It's because we're still twenty in total that I can't imagine anything else. Like, we were ten back in February. The next ten joined, making us twenty as of late March. Now we're in the middle of May. We haven't had any newcomers in ages, you know?" 


"Huh. It feels like Ori and I went out just yesterday. That was two whole weeks ago..." She thinks aloud. "That means exams are coming up..."


"Jeannine?"


"Hm? Oh, sorry. I got distracted." She clears her throat and gets back to the topic. "The city plans you showed me looked spectacular."


"If all goes well you'll get to see the real thing in three months."


"No way. That's optimistic even for Lillis."


"Well, it won't be finished, but it'll be functional. A bigger population means a greater workforce. Plus, we have you for the heavy lifting."


"Are you comparing me to a heavy-duty crane?" She jokes.


"A crane with lots of personality." I tease her.


"Hmph. That's a little better." She laughs. "Looking at it like that, those projections are more believable."


Jeannine continues walking until we arrive at a creek. Both of us take a look around, confirming there are no animals nearby. The area is quiet, devoid of any activity that we can see. Apart from the sounds of crickets somewhere in the distance, it's totally silent. Enough so that I can hear both of us breathing. Without a word, she turns and begins walking parallel to the stream. We walk for a few minutes before coming to a large tree with many exposed roots. It looks strikingly similar to the tree from back then. 


"Do you think...?" She whispers.


"Only one way to find out. Let's get closer."


Jeannine moves to take a step forward, before pulling her leg back hesitantly.


"On second thought, I'll stay put. What if there are Remnants running around and I step on one? How close is too close?"


"Can't say." I shrug. "What I do know is that I'm not running twenty kilometers to get there when it'll take you less than ten steps."


"I'm going to wait sixty seconds and then move. If anyone's in the area, they'll have time to get out of the way." She looks down, scanning for any signs of life. "Can't be too careful, right?"


"Fair enough. I'll time it." 


We wait until a minute has passed. On my mark, she takes a careful step forward, making her way over to the farthest reaching root. She then stops and reaches for her earring. I brace myself as she removes it from her ear and brings it in front of her face. Her eyes try to locate me in the cabin, struggling in the dark. She gives me a determined look before lowering her body into a squat. Her fingers carry the earring forward, holding it close to one of the roots. With her free hand, she positions her phone to light up the area.


That's when I see someone.


To my right, near another root, I see a young woman making a beeline away from us. It's a Lilli, there's no doubt about that. My eyes follow her until they disappear into an entrance carved into the tree itself. 


"Found someone." I tell Jeannine, leaving my seat and heading to the cabin's entrance. "I only saw one, but she looked young. There's probably a family in there, if not more."


"Oh my... Okay, I'll set you down nearby."


With some guidance from me, Jeannine moves the earring to the entrance and sets it down. All goes still as her hand pulls away. My body moves on autopilot as my mind goes hazy. I zone out for a while, snapping back only to find myself out on my own, a considerable distance from the earring. In front of me, no more than a hundred meters away, is the tree root. To my right, rising high above me, is Jeannine. She's maintaining her squat, eyes focused on me, and me alone. That determined look has not changed. A lot is riding on this, yet she isn't nervous. Does she seriously have that much faith in me? 


I can't disappoint her. Not while she's looking at me like that.


"Here goes." I say, with a shaky breath. "Wish me luck."


Before I can make it to the entrance, a group of ten men and women emerge. They're dressed in simple clothing, sort of like the kind I used to wear. Unlike me, however, each of them is wielding a weapon. Their swords, spears, and bows are all trained on me. 


I instinctively raise my arms up to show I'm harmless. I wasn't expecting to be met with such hostility! When I try to take a step back, I feel something whizz by my head. I freeze in my place, not needing to look behind me to know that it was an arrow. One that probably didn't have to miss. Their message is heard loud and clear.


"I'm not moving! There's no need for violence, people." I plead.


"Nick? Is everything okay?" I hear Jeannine's worried voice from above us.


Their group cowers at the sight of the giantess. Some aim their weapons at her, though I doubt their arrows would even reach her ankles. With their attention off of me, I take the chance to lower my arms.


"It's okay. Relax, everything is fine." I reassure her.


She sighs and repositions herself into a kneeling position. She gives me a silent nod and continues listening. The group in front of me looks back and forth between us, totally bewildered. While the rest of them try to process what they're seeing, a man walks toward me. He looks to be forty, sporting a few gray hairs on his head. He's a foot taller than me and very well built. He stops an arm's length away and eyes me carefully.


"What is the meaning of this? Explain yourself, kid."


"Yes, of course." I clear my throat, trying to stay calm. "My name is Nicholas. I'm not looking for any trouble, so could we please put the weapons away? I'm unarmed and obviously outnumbered."


He waves a hand and the others behind him seem to calm down. One by one they each lower their weapons, gazing in awe at the Brob sitting so close to them.


"There. Now explain to me why there's a Brob near our home. How and why did you bring her here?"


"That 'Brob' has a name. She's Jeannine, and she's not-"


"Shut up." He interrupts me, grabbing me tightly by the shoulder. "I didn't ask her name. I asked why one of our own would lead one of them right to us. We saw you speaking to her. How can she hear you?" 


"I-I'll explain everything. Just calm down..." I say, wincing in pain. He's ridiculously strong and clearly doesn't like me. "I only brought her here because she wants to help you. Yes, she can hear me. I'm wearing a device that transmits my voice. She has one too. Look at her right ear."


He looks up at Jeannine who has conveniently turned her head, brushing her hair out of the way. When he sees her earpiece, he finally lets my shoulder go. I roll it a few times, wincing in pain.


"Can she hear us right now?" He asks, sounding less confident than before.


"I can, yes." She smiles, which freaks them all out. Her eyes lock onto us and she continues. "You'd be wise not to hurt my friend."


Her tone is threatening, to say the least. Even I shiver, despite knowing that she's got my back. She can be really scary if she wants to. I notice two of the people in the back fleeing back inside. Apparently her threat was too much for them.


"We got off on the wrong foot, but he seems cool." I say, unable to hide the cocky smirk on my face. "Right, mister?"


"It's Grant." He says, folding his arms over his chest. The look on his face tells me he's now willing to let me talk. "So what is this? Do you command her?"


Both Jeannine and I look at each other and burst into laughter. Suddenly, all the tension disappears.


"Seriously, dude? Me? Commanding her?" I say between laughs. "I can't command her any more than I can command you."


"I don't follow. None of this makes sense."


"Here, look. Jeannine, I order you to sing the chorus of that song you're always playing." I joke.


"You're such an idiot..." She shakes her head, giving me an amused look.


"See?" I tell him.


"I think I understand." He says as his body seems to relax. "You're an odd pair. I've never seen a Brob and a Lilli getting along before."


"Oh, man. You're in for one hell of a surprise."


Apparently our banter intrigued Grant. With him willing to hear me out, I begin to explain our purpose and about Magna Gratia. 


I take my time detailing how we met Jeannine, emphasizing all of the things she's done for us. I even embellish the details a little, which causes her to blush. She stays quiet, however, not wanting to interrupt my explanation. I explain the ten rules, how we coexist with her, and how I rode along in her earring. With great pride, I describe our town and soon-to-be city, a product of both Lilli and Brob cooperation. I tell him about my fellow townspeople. I even tell them about my past life as a Borrower. After several minutes of talking, I find that the rest of the group has gathered around us with curious looks on their faces. Some even have questions for me, but Grant doesn't let them speak yet. I thought I was pretty thorough, but apparently he isn't finished with me.


"This town of yours... Magna Gratia... It sounds like a fantasy. I would've dismissed it outright if not for her." He gestures to the peaceful titaness not too far from us. She responds with a friendly wave. "More importantly, what role would we play in such a place?"


"Believe it or not, it is very real. I'm honestly not sure how to prove it to you." I chuckle. "You could have any role you like, so long as it's useful to our community."


"Hm." He pauses to think. "I suppose your clothing is proof enough. No Remnant ever wore something so well made."


"Thanks. My friend Ori made these for me. She'll do the same for you, should you decide to accept our offer."


"Tell me, Nick. Would you limit how many people could join?"


"No. Everyone can come along. Feel free to bring as much as you want. We certainly have the space for it."


Without asking her to, Jeannine opens her bag and takes out the case. She places it down a safe distance from us, allowing the group to take a look.


"It's enormous." He says, slack jawed.


"That's kinda the point. How many are you, if you don't mind me asking?"


"We're three families, fifteen in total. The others are hiding inside." 


"That's great! The more the merrier."


"Nicholas-"


"You can call me Nick, sir."


"Nick." He says, slowly. "May I speak to the giantess? Miss Jeannine."


Suddenly Jeannine turns to face us looking leaning over to get a better look. Thankfully, she has the sense to keep a reasonable distance, knowing they'll panic if she gets too close.


"Miss giantess, here. It's nice to meet you, Mr. Grant."


"U-Uhm. Yes, I-I-" He stammers, struggling to compose himself. It's almost funny seeing this behemoth of a man so scared of Jeannine. That girl wouldn't hurt a fly if you put a gun to her head. "I just have one question. Everything Nick said... Is it true?"


"It is, minus the flattery. He made me out to be some sort of saint."


"He seems very fond of you." He looks at me then back at her.


"The feeling is quite mutual."


"I will need to discuss this with my family. Would you two mind waiting?"


"Not at all." We both say at the same time, which elicits a smirk from him.


"I will be back shortly."


Grant walks back to his home in the tree root along with the others. Jeannine and I patiently wait while they do what their thing. Ten minutes pass and then twenty more. I start to get nervous again. I replay our conversation in my mind, looking for anything weird I might have said. Nothing comes to mind.


A minute later, Grant returns with two other men in tow. They approach me, each carrying a makeshift backpack.


"We've decided to decline your kind offer. Though we trust your words, there's a risk that you could be lying to us."


"What? Why would-"


"Wait." He holds up a hand to silence me. "Let me finish."


"Sorry. Please continue."


"You two now know where we live. If we decline, we run the risk of you returning later, or exposing our home." He puts a hand on my shoulder, gently this time. It's friendly, unlike before. "That is why the three of us have decided to come along with you. We wish to see this town for ourselves. Once we confirm it, you will return us here by tomorrow morning. If we don't return, the others know to relocate somewhere you will not recognize."


"That won't be necessary, you'll see." I tell him.


"Are those terms acceptable?"


"Yes." I say, speaking for the both of us.


"I'll have to miss my morning class, but sure. I find that acceptable." Jeannine agrees.


"Perfect! Follow me, guys."


I lead the three of them to the earring and help them inside. The cabin is spacious enough to accommodate many people, though only one person has ever used it at a time. Once the last guy is in, I close the hatch and head to my seat.


"We're in." I confirm for Jeannine.


The structure suddenly lurches as it's lifted off the ground. All three of them cling to their seats in fear as they watch the ground get farther and farther away. Though the force of our ascent isn't felt due to the cabin's technology, it's no less scary for them. Our rise slows as we're moved to the side of Jeannine's head. She secures us to her ear and stands up to her full height. If they were scared before, they must be terrified now. We're currently several kilometers above the ground now, on our scale.


"Is everyone okay in there?" Jeannine asks.


"Mostly." I tell her, trying not to laugh at men who look like they're going to piss their pants. "They'll get used to it. The first time is always scary."


"I'll walk slower than usual."


"I think they'll appreciate that."


"Alright then." She says as she returns the way we came. "Let's head home."


Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680