- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Ori's finally finds a new purpose in life...

POV: Ori

---------

"Ori? Are you feeling alright?" Nick asks me. He waves his hand in front of my face to get my attention.


"What? Oh." It takes me a moment to snap back from my daydream. "I'm sorry, Nick. Would you kindly repeat what you said?"


"Sure..." He gives me a concerned look. "I was asking you if you're doing alright, but I think I just got my answer. Are you getting enough sleep? You look exhausted."


"I'm afraid not. I have a lot on my mind these days."


"Hm." He frowns. "Well, you'll have plenty of time to catch up on sleep after the meeting. Maybe speaking with your beloved Jeannine will get your mind off things?"


"Perhaps." I sigh.


The two of us walk together to the open field in front of the town hall. A wide, open space that was once ugly and barren is now a beautiful field of grass and flowers blooming. Most of the town has already gathered here, ready to begin. Nick does a headcount, confirming nineteen people are in attendance.


"Where's Louis?" He asks me. "He may be young, but she asked for everyone."


"He's tired." I tell him, unwilling to go into further detail. "I'll take responsibility if Jeannine has an issue."


"I see." He sighs. "Fine, then. I need to be with Icarus, so I guess I'll catch you later."


Nick heads through the crowd, taking his position at the front. I remain where I am, watching from the back. I hear people chatting with one another, passing the time until Jeannine arrives. They're speculating about this meeting's purpose, wondering why we've all been summoned so suddenly. I share their curiosity, but it's overshadowed by my concern for Louis. He's been constantly on my mind for the past few days. Ever since we spent the day together, I've been worried sick...


"Don't go." I whisper, repeating his words. "Please don't leave me."


I touch the spot on my top where he'd grabbed me before. I then repeat the words I'd told him just after.


"It's time I go home, dear. I'll visit again soon, okay? Have a good night."


That sullen look of his nearly broke my heart. The way he clung to me, so desperately begging for me not to go, has left me feeling terribly guilty. I'm aware that he isn't my responsibility, and yet, somehow, I feel like I've neglected him. I felt his attachment to me and I wasn't ready for it. Unsure of how to proceed, I didn't visit him the next day, nor the day after. Only this morning was I able to overcome my nerves. I entered his home expecting conflict, but I was met with none. There was only a little boy, sitting silently and alone on his bed. He looked terrible. His face was pale and his upper lip was covered in dried blood. There was more of it on his sleeves and pillow too. Naturally, I sprung into action, wiping up the mess and cleaning him up. I forced him to eat and helped change him into clean clothes. After that, I told him to rest and that I'd be back after the meeting.


"Poor boy. I hope this meeting ends quickly so I can get back to you."


Suddenly I feel a tugging at my pant leg. I turn and look down finding a tiny, but familiar, hand. I promptly kneel down and grab Louis by the shoulders.


"Lou, what are you doing here? I told you to rest."


"I'm sorry, Ori." He looks down at his feet. "I wanted to see you."


"But you're..." I trail off, shaking my head. It's too late now to take him back home. I won't be back before the meeting begins. Turning around, I take him by the arms and help him onto my back like before. When I stand back up I make sure to support him from below. "Okay, dear. If you're going to stay with me for this, I'm going to carry you. You need to save your energy."


"Okay. Thank you, Ori."


Shortly after, we feel the usual rhythmic tremors that accompany our titanic friend. Jeannine enters the room dressed in big, fluffy, turquoise socks, blue sports-shorts, and a grey tank top. She slowly lowers herself until she's sitting before us, cross-legged and comfortable. Her expression is cheery, even more so than usual. It makes me wonder what's got her in such high spirits. 


"Hello, everyone." She begins, her eyes trying hard to focus on us. "Thank you for indulging my sudden request. I've got some big news to share with you regarding the future of Magna Gratia, as well as an announcement from Icarus."


Her gaze falls on Nick, or rather, his location. He then says something into his earpiece in response. She nods and continues with her speech.


"As you know, I've been doing my best to rescue and safeguard as many Lilliputians as I can. Buying ten at a time from the pet shop will only do so much. Nick and I have been discussing options. We've come up with an alternative approach that will be both faster and help more people." She pauses, allowing herself a moment to consider her next words. "Remnants. Their settlements often house fifteen or more displaced Lillis. If they're willing to join us here, we'll find our numbers growing rapidly. We have the capacity, as well as a dire need for a bigger workforce. No city has ever been built by just twenty people."


A collective murmur resounds from the crowd. It appears that many have mixed feelings about the idea. Nick speaks up before the crowd becomes too noisy.


"Settle down, everyone. Nothing has happened yet. Although we're ready to move forward with this plan, Jeannine won't take action unless she has our support."


"Exactly." Jeannine nods. "I'd like to hear your thoughts. Each and every one of you will get a chance to be heard today." She then turns to look to her right, towards the corner of the plot. "Icarus, are you ready?"


Over on the roof of the workshop we see Icarus standing beside what looks like some sort of tower. It's very tall! I'd estimate it might even reach Jeannine's shin, which is no small feat. He switches something on, causing the lights near the top of the tower to glow brightly. 


"Ori." Jeannine calls my name. "Would you mind coming up to the front?"


The entire crowd looks at me at once. I tense up, feeling anxious before so many eyes. I wasn't expecting to be singled out. 


I make my way forward as the crowd parts for me, still carrying Lou on my back. Once I'm with Nick, he holds up a strange device and points it at me. I don't recognize it at first. It take a moment before I realize what I'm looking at.


"I-Is that a camera?"


"More than just a camera." Nick gives a goofy smile, keeping it steady. "We're broadcasting!"


"What? I’m not sure I-"


"Oh my, it really works!" Jeannine gasps. "So this is what you look like, Ori? You’re beautiful!"


I look up at Jeannine who is currently transfixed by her phone screen. She turns the screen toward us, and I see my myself on it. It’s a truly powerful experience. Her kind words leave me speechless. 


"And who’s that little cutie you’ve got with you?" She coos. "Is he your son?"


While I’m still trying to process what in the world is going on, Lou decides to respond on his own. He pulls himself up on my shoulders, resting his chin on the top of my head. 


"Hi Jen-een, I’m Louis." He tells her, struggling to pronounce her name properly. "You are really big."


"I suppose I am." She chuckles uncomfortably. "Is that a bad thing?"


Some laughter can be heard from the crowd behind us. Worried that he might say something rude, I finally snap out of my trance.


"He’s just trying to be friendly! You know how children can be." I cut in. "They say what’s on their minds without thinking." 


"Oh, think nothing of it. I’m only teasing him." Jeannine reassures me. She smiles and gives us a wave from high above. Lou waves back, excitedly. Her smile slowly fades as she adopts a more serious expression. "Okay, back to business. So, Ori, is there anything you’d like to discuss? You have the floor.”


"I... Well, nothing..." A sort of stage fright overtakes me, rendering me unable to find my words. I remind myself that I'm surrounded by friendly faces. Despite being strangers just two months ago, we've all become like family. Even Jeannine feels like the big sister I never had. 


Her genuine interest in my opinion makes me feel appreciated. The notion that we are all equal seems just a tad more believable now.


"I'm sorry, I'm feeling quite flustered at the moment." I audibly clear my throat and try again. "I have everything I need at the moment. To ask for more would feel...ungrateful. However, my friend Louis here could use some help. He's ill and Dr. Ross says that we lack the tools or medicine to properly treat him."


"I see." Jeannine frowns. "I've been looking into options, but I'll double my efforts. This is more urgent than I first thought."


"Thank you. So very much."


"Thank you!" Lou follows my example.


"And the proposal?" Nick reminds us.


"Oh, yes. I suppose I support it. Magna Gratia could benefit greatly from new residents."


"Let's get the next person up here, unless there's anything else?" Nick urges me. He's clearly trying to stick to a schedule. I'm not bothered, I'd much rather get out of the spotlight as soon as possible.


"No. That's all I have."


Before I can hand the mic back to Nick, Jeannine interjects. "No, don't go just yet. I haven't heard from Louis! As a member of this town, his opinion matters to me."


Her consideration is very touching. The crowd behind us seems to think so too, encouraging the little boy to speak, cheering him on. I hold the mic near his mouth so that he can be heard.


"Umm..." He starts, nervously. He's trying to muster the courage in front of so many people. As he looks to me for affirmation, I give him a nod. "I agree with Ori. Okay..."


"Thank you, Louis. Your vote has been counted." Jeannine winks at him.


Lou and I return to the crowd, passing Aurelia and Sam along the way. Aurelia grabs me by the arm and pulls me close to whisper in my ear.


"Very brave of you to go first. I'm proud of you!" Aurelia says, patting me on the back.


"Even if you didn't necessarily volunteer." Sam jokes.


"Thank you. I was only able to muster the courage because of Lou, here." 


I turn sideways so that she can see him better.


"Ah, of course! You two make a great pair. I think we'll follow your example and go next."


"Good luck." Lou tells them, surprising all three of us. It's not often that he speaks to anyone but Nick or me.


Aurelia kisses his cheek and makes her way up to the front with her husband. The two of them go through the same experience I did, although with much less anxiety. They request some specific seeds for the farm and for more water. They also decide to vote in favor of the proposal, just like me. As their turn ends, the next individual goes up, followed by the next.


One by one, Jeanine has each person come up and repeat the process. Everyone is given a chance to say what they want, without fear or embarrassment. Some have requests for Jeannine, mostly to do with construction or quality of life. Others don't ask for anything, content just to have had their voice heard. I think I speak for all of us when I say that having a say is very empowering. It provides us a sense of control that we never expected to enjoy. It strengthens the sense of community, bringing us all together and reaffirming our purpose. Once again, I have to wonder if Jeannine did this purposefully. She always seems to think ahead.


"And to think, I didn't want to take that chocolate, all that time ago..." I whisper under my breath.


If I were asked to describe the mood of the room right at this moment, I would call it 'hopeful'. Although life is not perfect, it continues to get better by the day. Optimism is something I was certain I'd lost forever, not too long ago. I've always hated how my darkest thoughts choose to resurface during my happiest moments, as if to spoil them. Seeing the kindness and warmth that Jeannine radiates causes me to remember the person who did the exact opposite. 


Her name was Céline. For every one of Jeannine's good qualities, Céline had a bad one. Growing up, I'd been taught that hatred was a terrible thing. A burden that only weighs only you down. Despite this, she made it easy. She was abusive, cruel, and exceedingly sadistic. She saw those smaller than her as nothing more than objects. It did not matter how many Lillis she mutilated; she would never care. The one time I thought I'd caught her experiencing guilt turned out to be her irritation at having expended too many 'toys' in one go. The joy that she showed when inflicting pain upon those who could not fight back was chilling. For the longest time, I'd believed that all Brobs were like her. 


Monsters.


I suddenly feel a sharp pain coming from my chest.


I tug at my neckline and look at the hideous scar above my right breast. It's a nasty line that continues over to my right shoulder. It's the spot where she impaled me with a special needle she'd made herself. One made sharp enough to gravely injure someone my size rather than crushing them outright. Such effort and attention to detail all for the sake of malice. The memory alone is enough to make the area sting. I have faith that someday she will get what she deserves, though not by my hand, unfortunately.


"Ori?" Lou whispers, catching me off guard. "Are you okay?"


I let the fabric of my top fall back into place, concealing the scar once more. I then realize I'm trembling. My cheek is wet, a tear having rolled down without my noticing. I promptly wipe it up and collect myself. I can't have Lou seeing me like this!


"I'm perfectly fine. Don't worry about me, dear."


I'm not sure whether he believes me, but he doesn't comment on it again. I try to think happy thoughts. I look to Jeannine, which automatically cheers me up. 


Once the last person has given their vote, Nick turns off the camera and switches back to his earpiece. Judging by the look on the giantess's face, she must be satisfied with the outcome of the meeting. She sits up straight and stretches her arms after almost an hour of sitting still. 


Come to think of it, she hardly even shifted around. I suppose that too was for our sake. 


"How very kind of her..." I say under my breath.


"That concludes our meeting. Thank you all for your input as well as your kind words. Although I don't feel worthy of your praise, I will endeavor to match your expectations." She puts her phone down and switches to her own earpiece. "It seems like the majority is in favor of the new plan. The split was eighty-twenty, which is more than enough for me to go forward with this. To the twenty percent who disagreed, I assure you that your concerns have been heard. I will take them into account, I promise you that."


We brace ourselves as Jeannine stands up. It's not the least bit scary, unlike with other Brobs. We all know she can be trusted. Once she's standing at her full height, she leans over slightly to look at us. 


"You may all go back to your daily lives now. I need to finish some work on campus, so I'll be home late tonight. Please take care of each other in the meantime. See you, guys!"


Jeannine grabs her backpack and exits the room. The crowd then disperses, all of us heading to where we're needed. There's plenty of work to be done in this peaceful, little town.


"Let's get you back home. I've work to do, but I'll drop you off first." I tell him.


"Okay." He nods. "Work at the farm?"


"Yes, actually. Sam is going to teach me how to operate a tractor. Isn't that exciting?"


"Mhm!"


I walk back slowly, dreading the moment I'll have to leave the little boy alone again. Doing so doesn't get any easier. If only he had someone waiting for him at home, I'd feel so much better. Spending one's days alone is no way to live. Loneliness is a pain like no other. Having spent the better part of my life alone, I understand his feelings better than anyone else here. In about a minute, I'll be subjecting him to that again. I don't want that, but I don't see an alternative. 


What in the world should I do? 


Upon arriving at the house, I help him off my back and turn to face him. The little boy hugs my legs and stares straight up at me. He's sad to see me go but isn't clinging as tightly as before. Previously, when I would stare into his eyes, I struggled to read him. Now it isn't as difficult. I'm seeing myself reflected back. Not as I am now, but as the young, frightened child that was met with nothing but misfortune. I was orphaned, sold, tortured, and nearly broken. I had no one. Every day with that monster could have been my last. I was living with a countdown, and I never knew how close I was to zero. 


I can't help but compare that to his situation regarding his illness.


"Bye, Ori." Lou says, finally letting go of my legs. "See you later."


Before he can go inside, I kneel before Lou and take his hands into mine. He's at eye level with me now, watching me carefully. He's waiting for me to explain myself, but I'm not sure what to say. What would Jeannine do? She's so beautiful, smart, caring, and sure of herself. She always seems to know best. It's hard to believe that we're so similar in age. She tells us to take care of each other, but I'm not sure if I can manage that. 


What can I offer this boy? I'm not his family, let alone a parent. I have no clue what I'm doing most of the time. There are so many others who would be better at looking after him. I was not the one who gave him his illness, nor was I the one who took his parents. He was never my responsibility, so why do I feel compelled to look after him? 


Suddenly, it begins to make sense to me.


It's because I can make a difference in his life. I spent so long being powerless, but that is not the case anymore. I have a say in what happens, in my life and in his. All it will take is the courage to try...


"Louis..." I begin, my voice shaky. "I'm sorry for leaving you alone. Please don't think I was avoiding you. My personal issues caused me to make some terrible mistakes."


"It's okay." He forgives me without a second thought.


"But that isn't the point, dear." I shake my head and give his tiny hands a gentle squeeze. "I've been thinking a lot about you and me. It's been troubling me for days, but now I know what I need to do."


"What do you need to do?" He asks me curiously.


I give him my warmest smile and kiss him on the forehead.


"I need to make my own decisions. It's time to stop waiting to be told what to do." I tell him, feeling my confidence swell with every word. "I've decided that I don't want to leave you alone."


"Am I going to the farm with you?"


"Well, yes and no." I tell him, which only further confuses him. "What I'm trying to say is that I want us to stay together all the time. You could move in with me and we could keep each other company. We wouldn't have to say 'bye' anymore. I think that would make me happy. Both of us, hopefully."


I let go of his hands and run my fingers through his hair. All the while, he never breaks eye contact with me.


"It won't be anything 'official', though that won't make it any less real! I'm not sure what this relationship will be, if I'm honest." I think aloud, beginning to ramble out of nervousness. "A 'legal guardian' seems far too impersonal. A 'friend' isn't right either. Perhaps an older sister? O-Or maybe-"


I'm interrupted as Lou leaps at me, burying his face in my chest. He begins to sob, his hot tears streaming down his face and onto my clothes. I wrap my arms around him and embrace him tightly. This is the first time I've ever seen him cry. At last, he's letting it all out.


"It's alright. I'm not going anywhere."


Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680