- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A day in the life of one very frustrated engineer...

POV: Icarus

---------

"God damn it! Piece of shit! Why won't you work? Why?!"


I clench my fists and look for the nearest thing to punch. My eyes scan the workshop for anything I can use to blow off some steam that can handle a good beating. After precisely two-point-five seconds of thinking, I lose my patience and punch the nearest wall as hard as I can. The following crack that comes from my hand only increases my overwhelming frustration.


"Ow! Fuck!"


I clutch it with my other hand and stomp a foot to the ground. The pain from my hand finally brings me to my senses. I grunt and flex my hand a few times to make sure nothing is broken. It seems fine, though it'll probably be swollen tomorrow. If it still hurts in an hour, then I'll go get it looked at.


I turn my attention back to my workbench, staring daggers at the device I've been working on. I want nothing more than to throw it at the wall. Ten straight hours of nonstop work and I'm no closer to finishing than when I started...


"You're cursed. I'm tired and out of ideas. Screw this shit."


I leave the workshop for some fresh air. I rub the back of my neck and roll my head around to relieve the built-up stiffness. On my way out I notice Dad working on a blueprint outside. Realizing he probably heard my outburst, I feel the need to explain myself.


"Hey Dad..."


"Let me guess." He says without even looking up from his desk. "You didn't take a break when I told you to?"


"..."


"This is what ya get for bein' a hardhead."


"I know, I know. Things were coming along and I felt like I was close to something... Something big."


"Clearly not." He sighs. "At least ya came to yer senses eventually."


"Yeah, no progress for six straight hours will break even the most stubborn engineer."


"Well said." At last, he looks up from his work and looks me up and down. He gives a hearty laugh and a smug grin. "You look like crap, bud."


"I don't doubt it." I grin back at him. "But it's all part of the process. I've never faced a problem I couldn't overcome."


"Mhm. You keep saying that." 


"Because it's true!"


"Whatever. Take a break and don't let me catch you punching any more walls. If you break any of my things, I'll kill ya."


"Yes, Dad. I got it." I concede. "I'm going for a walk. Need to clear my head and move my legs a little."


"You do that."


Despite his attitude, my dad gives good advice. I only realize it after I've made a mistake, though. It's been that way ever since I was a kid. Here I am, two decades later, still thinking I know better. I can't seem to break the cycle for the life of me. Despite my unwillingness to quit while I'm in the 'zone', there is one piece of advice of his that I've internalized. 


"Often times when you're stuck, all it takes is a break to clear your head." I recite aloud as I walk though town. "You'd be surprised how obvious the solution was all along."


Hopefully this break will do me good. All I need to do is avoid thinking about work. Given my pounding headache, it shouldn't be too hard. No need to force it. Anything else will do...


For some odd reason my mind decides to reflect on the events of the last month and a half. Ever since that day--ever since Jeannine gathered us on her desk and told us to live--I've been feeling supercharged! It's not an exaggeration to say that she's allowing me to reach my full potential. But it isn't just the resources she provides. No, it's most definitely her attitude. The optimism she radiates is infectious! She makes me want to believe that life can and will be better. 


"Even Dad is recovering..."


My father, the one everyone calls 'Daedalus', decided on that name after hearing Jeannine's introduction. It's not his real name, but it's the one he adopted. The reference is pretty on the nose--naming himself after the legendary mythological figure. When he suggested I go by 'Icarus', I didn't think twice. After what we've been through, we needed a reset. We needed to reinvent ourselves. 


Unlike most of the residents of Magna Gratia, my father and I were neither Remnants nor Borrowers. We were proud Lilliputian citizens living in a city not unlike Jeannine's. Provecta was a technological hub built on the Lilliputian coast--the kind that dreamers flock to, either for the opportunities or the beautiful view. Our family had been living there ever since I was born. If it had been up to me, I would have stayed there my entire life. Why would anyone want to leave the most technologically advanced city in the world? The Brobs would never admit it, but we were absolutely destroying them in all the scientific fields. We were developing things their big, dumb heads hadn't even dreamt of yet.


"Those were the days." I sigh. "My biggest worry was meeting my deadlines at work. I never imagined I'd be trafficked. The things we take for granted..."


When the news came that a Brobdingnagian mine had been dug up near the city, people got nervous. We suspected that it might still be functional. Given its size, it would've been tiresome to remove without assistance. We called on their army to come and extract it, even though we probably could have done the job ourselves. Personally, I think it was a matter of principle. The ones who caused the problem should be the ones to resolve it. To no one's surprise, their government was quick to send someone over. They'll do anything to look good when it involves us, the 'weak and downtrodden'.


A day later, a young soldier dressed in a military uniform and carrying some strange tools came by. I have no clue how military rank works, but she seemed too young to be someone distinguished. Clearly not someone with much experience as a technician. She went to work at the danger zone, just outside the city. For most, it was their first time seeing a Brob in person. This gal was so polite and careful around us that we weren't even afraid. She reassured us that she would deactivate and remove the half-buried device in no time. 


Looking back, I'm not sure who was to blame. Her, for her inexperience, or us, for refusing the job out to spite. Maybe it was our fault for building a city near land that was once a battlefield? It doesn't matter. Although the outcome could have been avoided, it's no use throwing blame now. What's done...is done.


The young lady thought she'd deactivated the mine. As she went to remove it, the device went off. If her body had not been between the city and the mine, things could have been far worse. The explosion hit her first, killing her instantly. Her lifeless body fell backwards, crushing the east side as it hit the ground. The combined forces rocked the city, resulting in untold infrastructural damage. City block-sized chunks of land rained down from the sky, increasing the destruction as well as the death toll. My Dad and I had been on the west side when it all happened. Unfortunately, my mother had been at work on the east side, meaning she was probably crushed by the giant woman's corpse. Her body was never recovered.


News of the tragedy quickly spread. Politicians were quick to label the even a 'tragic accident'. They focused more on the dead soldier than the thousands of Lillis who'd died along with her. I wonder if that's the worth of one Brob life? If so, that's very sad. 


Soon after, more soldiers were sent to aid the survivors. The last thing we wanted was more Brob help, but what say did we have in the matter? Though the city had been decimated, a small percentage had been lucky enough to escape with only minor injuries. My Dad and I were part of that group. The giants dug us out of the rubble and helped prepare us for transport in capsules our government had specially provided them.


We were gathered up so that we could be brought en masse to the closest hospital with the capacity to take us. That was what we were told, anyway. Yet again, we were punished for putting our trust in Brobs. The soldier carrying our capsule had no such intentions. 


He took advantage of the disorganization so that no one would notice one missing, little capsule. A soldier's salary must not be that much these days. I guess he wanted to make some extra cash on the side? He shamelessly pocketed us and went on with his day, as if nothing was out of the ordinary. Some time later, he sold us to a Lilli trafficker. From there, we passed through a few more hands before finally ending up with Jeannine.


The time we spent together in that accursed tank was eye opening. After all of the horrible events that befell us, I wanted nothing more than to curse my luck and wallow in sorrow. I'd lost my mother, my home, and almost everything I'd held dear in a very short time.


But I still had my dad.


I focused on what was important to me. Though Mom was gone, Dad was still here. Though my life was gone, I was fortunate to have enjoyed such a lifestyle while my Lilli brethren suffered as Remnants. While I was injured, at least I was still breathing. No matter what happened, there was something positive to keep me going.


"Dad tried to do the same." I mumble. "He's the strongest guy I know."


Losing the love of his life nearly broke him. The cheerful, charismatic man I'd once known had been reduced to a shell of his former self. He wouldn't speak for weeks. He didn't want to do anything but sleep. I could hardly even get him to eat. Hours of pleading with him only ever resulted in making him more upset. I was beginning to lose hope, until Jeannine came into our lives.


I'd nearly forgotten what his smile looked like. I think he knew it the moment she bought us--that she was different. She was a good person, and she was just what we needed. I hate to repeat myself, but what she gave him was greater than just the food and water. She gave him his hope back. That unrivalled inspiration, that drive, was back at last. He had new purpose. 


I turn my head and look up at Jeannine, sitting at her desk way up there, absorbed in her work. 


"I can't thank you enough for that."


This new life we've been given is something I treasure. Not everyone is fortunate enough to get second chances. You must make the most of them! That's what I believe.


"And that's why this has to work..." I mutter. "I know the calculations are right. I did them a hundred times..."


Even though Provecta was lost, its scientific knowledge lives on in us. Dad and I can make a real difference here, especially with Jeannine backing us. Lilli progress will never stop so long as I'm here. We can aim higher than ever before.


I stop short, just as inspiration strikes me like a bolt of lightning.


"That's it!"


I turn around and sprint back to the workshop. Dad was right, all it took was a break to set my head straight. It's all clear to me now. The solution had been staring me in the face this entire time!


"Can't talk! Need to work!" I yell as I dash past my dad. "No interruptions, please!"


I plant myself down at my desk and review my notes. My plan for an independent cell tower was never going to work. A structure that 'small' would never achieve a broadcast range wide enough to reach Jeannine's bed, let alone the next room. Lilli-sized devices simply cannot function across ranges on the Brob scale. Even Nick and Jeannine's earpieces, the only successful communication devices we've developed, only work when in close proximity. An arm's length distance is the observed limit before the signal is lost. 


But what if they worked together?


"The signal from her device is stronger. If we could build a tower to piggyback on that, multiplexing could be possible..." I think aloud. "The antennae would have to be high up, probably a quarter mile at least. Yeah.... Yeah, this could work!"


Scrapping the old model, I begin on a new one. I also pull up the schematic for Jeannine's earpiece and makes some changes to it. I put my head down for the next hour and work until the three new designs are complete. 


One final review of my calculations gives me the confidence to present the idea to Dad. I can't help smirk at my own genius. Everything is in order. Once he 'okays' the plan, we can get started on building right away. 


"Oh man, they’re going to be blown away by this."

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680


UPDATE: I'm (still) looking to commission an artist to draw Jeannine. If any readers know of someone good, please send me a message. Thanks!