- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Ori meets the same young boy again...

POV: Orina

---------

A few days have passed since Jeannine took Nick to the outside world. Being one of the few who knew about it, I made it a point to personally welcome them back. I had the chance to speak with Nick, albeit very briefly. He seemed to be in high spirits, though something felt...off. As for Jeannine, speaking with her can be difficult. Unfortunately, any Lilli 'conversations' with her are fairly one-way ever since we decommissioned the speaker system. Nowadays, Nick is the only one who speaks to her directly. If there's an issue, he is the one to pass the information to her. I must admit, it makes me somewhat jealous.


"What a privilege." I mumble. "He's very lucky."


No, 'lucky' isn't a fair descriptor. Nick is our representative. He shoulders a heavier burden than any of us. Not only does he have Jeannine's expectations weighing down on him, but ours as well. Considering that, I suppose that earpiece of his is a well-earned right. 


"I hope he's doing well. Both of them, for that matter."


These are the thoughts that occupy my mind as I make my way to the hospital again. The doctor made me promise to come back if the pain got worse. Thankfully it hasn't, though the brace itself has been hurting me. It's the rough material, it chafes me constantly. We still lack the means to manufacture anything 'comfortable', prioritizing practicality over all else. In some ways our town is very advanced, while in others we are still very meagre.


I arrive at the building not two minutes later. Upon walking through the doors, I'm greeted by the receptionist.


"Good afternoon Ms. Orina. You're back sooner than expected?" 


"Good afternoon to you as well. Is Dr. Ross available?"


"He is, yes."


"I'm afraid I'm in need of another check-up."


"I'll let him know right away."


While she's peeking into the doctor's office, I can't help but notice a familiar face in the reception. The same young boy from before is seated in the exact same spot, staring at me from across the room. 


If I didn't know any better I would have thought he hadn't moved ever since. I give him a kind smile and a wave, which he returns with his own. I limp over to take a seat beside him.


"Hello again, Louis. How are you feeling today?"


"I'm okay." He tells me, his voice as soft as ever. He points to my leg and frowns. "Your leg."


"Oh, this?" I extend my leg for him. "It would seem I've sprained my ankle. It doesn't hurt so long as I'm careful and listen to the doctor."


"I hope..." He says, struggling to make eye contact with me. "...you get better."


Before I can thank him for his kind words, the receptionist calls for me. 


"Ms. Orina, the doctor will see you now."


She gestures for me, holding the door open. I turn back to Louis who has gone completely silent again. I want nothing more than to continue our chat but I can't leave the doctor waiting. Begrudgingly, I stand up and limp my way over to the office.


"That's very kind of you. Hold on, I will be right back."


"Mm." He nods, his gaze glued to his feet.


How refreshing. It felt like he was opening up to me. Something about the way he spoke sounded far less shy. It's only a feeling, but my feelings are rarely wrong.


I enter the room and take a seat on the bed as the door closes behind me.


"Hello again, Ms. Orina." Dr. Ross greets me, walking over. "You're still limping. How is your ankle feeling today?"


He holds my leg by the heel and moves it so that I have to shift positions. Now on my back, I lay with my legs stretched out. He then rolls up the leg of my pants to check my ankle.


"Better. I've been walking on it, exactly as you told me. It's the brace, I think."


"Hmm... Let's take it off and check."


The doctor proceeds to unwrap it, revealing a very red ankle. It looks bad, but he doesn't seem alarmed. He just moves my foot around, gently.


"Not too rigid. That's good. The swelling has gone down as well."


"I applied ice and compressions as soon as I got home." 


"Oh, we have ice now? When did that happen?" He asks me, looking surprised.


"Daedalus asked Jeannine for a can of propane. Needless to say, it was far more than we could have ever used." I laugh. "He sapped a small amount of it and build a refridgeration unit. Hence, the ice."


"Excellent. That'll do far more than the ointment I would have recommended." He turns his attention to the brace and frowns. "However, we should do something about this. The brace is doing it's job, but if it's bothering you that much then we can replace it."


He pulls out another brace, this one made of a softer material, and helps me put it on. This one has laces so it takes him longer to tie it up. While he does that, my mind wanders back to Louis. I know it isn't any of my business, but I have a burning question about him. 


I dare to ask it.


"That boy in the reception. Is he... Will he be alright?"


"Only time will tell." Dr. Ross sighs. "I haven't observed him long enough to make predictions about his condition. Why do you ask?"


"Just curious." I reply, not really sure myself. "I hope he overcomes this. He's too young to..." 


I can't bring myself to finish that sentence. The doctor seems to share the sentiment.


"It's tragic, but there's only so much anyone can do. Resources are limited and medical equipment is non-existent. We're lucky just to have painkillers. You know how it is."


"Unfortunately." I sigh. "Are you going to see him next?"


"No, I already saw him earlier today."


"What? Then why is he waiting in the reception?"


"I wouldn't know." He shrugs, finishing up with my leg. "Sometimes he just sits there. We don't have the heart to send him home."


"What about Nick?" I ask as I stand back up to test the new brace. It feels so much better than the other one. "Isn't he the one responsible for him?"


"Not officially. He does what he can, when he can. Come to think of it, I haven't seen him since I last saw you the other day."


I clench my fist. I'm not angry at Nick, I know how busy he gets. Rather, I'm frustrated with the situation as a whole. The fact of the matter is that Louis needs someone right away. No one deserves to be so alone. Least of all when they're in pain.


"Thank you, doctor. I'm sorry to bother you with all of this."


"Anytime. Take it easy, Ms. Orina." 


I return to the reception and immediately head over to Louis. He's sitting exactly as he was, only this time he seems to be swinging his little legs back and forth. Upon seeing me again, he surprises me with a wave. I approach and take a seat by him once more.


"Back again. Did you wait long?"


"A little."


"Good, good..."


I pause, unsure of what to say. A part of me hopes that he will speak up, but he doesn't.


"So, Louis, I heard you already saw the doctor. That means you're free to leave..." I put a hand on his shoulder. "Why haven't you?"


"..."


"You can tell me." I move my hand down to his back and rub it softly. "Really."


"...I'm scared." He whispers so quietly that I almost missed it.


"What's scaring you?" I ask him, feeling worried. Did someone hurt him? Was it something he saw? It couldn't be Jeannine, could it? Or maybe it's his condition? A thousand terrible ideas fill my head.


"I don't know." He shrugs. "Lots of things."


I consider how best to approach this. Playing the guessing game with him will get us nowhere. I'm inclined to do as I did in my teaching days.  Perhaps I can approach this similarly?


"That's perfectly fine. Everyone gets scared from time to time. Whenever I'm feeling scared I stay close to someone else, usually a friend."


He looks up in surprise, as if I said something astounding.


"Really?"


"Absolutely." I nod. "That's what friends are for." I then take his hand into mine and give it a light squeeze. "Wouldn't you agree?"


He nods silently. His gaze remains on me for a moment, as if studying my face. I resist the urge to look away, instead choosing to maintain it. He wants to say something, but he's struggling to find the words. I don't mind at all. He can take all the time he needs.


"Ms. Ori?"


"Yes?"


"You said you were my friend."


"Of course I am!"


"Okay..."


Another pause. I stay silent while he prepares his next words.


I dare not interrupt him, lest he close off like before. This is the longest conversation we've had. He hasn't opened up to anyone else yet, as far as I'm aware. I'll be a patient as he needs me to be.


"Everyone..." He begins, a hint of embarrassment in his voice. "...is really scary."


"Everyone?" I repeat, "Are you still feeling shy?"


"Yes. I only know..." He counts on his fingers before holding them up for me. "Three people. Mr. Nick, Dr. Ross, and Ms. Ori."


"That's a good start! Considering there are only twenty of us total, that's an achievement."


"What does 'achievement' mean?" He asks me, struggling to pronounce the word correctly. It's quite adorable.


"Achievement." I enunciate each syllable for him slowly. "It's something you did, despite it being very difficult. It's something you can be proud of. Do you understand?"


"Yes. Thank you, Ms. Ori."


"You don't have to call me 'miss'. Just 'Ori' is fine, okay?"


"Ori." He repeats after me.


"Yes! Just like that, okay?"


"Okay." He smiles. "Thank you."


"For what? It's my name, only shortened." I giggle. "It's the closest thing I have to a nickname."


Wait a tick... That gives me an idea. Louis clearly likes the idea of nicknames. His eyes practically lit up when he called me Ori. I wonder if he has a nickname? Most parents give their kids a nickname, or at least something like a pet name. I'll have to be careful how I ask it. Explicitly bringing up his dead parents is not something I want to do. 


I'll be taking a risk with this.


"Can I ask you something?"


"Um. Okay." He nods.


"Do you have a nickname? Maybe someone used to call you something other than 'Louis'?"


He thinks for a moment, his expression turning sad.


"My mom used to call me Lou." He says with a shaky breath. "Dad too."


My expression turns grim. I can tell he's trying not to cry. I'm not sure what to say now. I feel as though a single wrong word could make the dam burst. This was a mistake--I should have known better!


I'm about to be the reason a sick little boy cries. I cover my face with my hands in embarrassment and shame. I don't know what else to do.


A moment later, I feel a tapping at my arm. I turn to look, certain that I'll be met with a teary-eyed child. Instead, I just see a very confused looking boy.


"Ori? Are you okay?"


"Me? O-Of course I am. I thought you..." I trail off, losing my train of thought entirely. Did I misread the situation? He sounded heartbroken, or so I thought? "I didn't mean to..."


"I don't understand."


He continues to stare at me as if I'm crazy. I can't blame him. My actions must be very confusing to him. I take a moment to regain my composure before I can make an even bigger fool of myself.


"Never mind." I shake my head. "It's nothing."


He eyes me carefully, squinting his eyes at me accusingly.


"What?" I say, the offense in my tone all too clear. "Why are you glaring at me like that?"


"Never mind." He says flatly. "It's nothing."


I blink twice, shocked by his words. He's using my own words against me. Does he see through me? I didn't give him enough credit, he's sharp for his age.


"Fine." I sigh. "I was worried I'd upset you. I was trying to avoid the topic of your parents."


"I'm not sad." He blurts out. "Honest!"


"So you say..." I reach into my pocket and feel the slightly warm metal object I've been carrying. I've been meaning to ask about it, and this feels like an appropriate time. I take it out and open it in front of him. "Louis, are these people your parents? Was this your family?"


He looks at it for a moment as tears begin to well up in his eyes. There's my answer. I promptly close it and set it down in my lap.


"Why did you give this to me? It must be very special to you."


"Umm... I wanted you to have it. Because we're friends."


"I appreciate that, really I do, but you don't have to give me anything." I pick the locket back up and offer it to him. "Least of all this."


"No." He shakes his head and pushes my hand away. "I want to!"


The stubborn, pouty look on his face tells me that he isn't going to change his mind. Rather than argue with him, I have a better idea. I stand up and take him by the hand.


"If you're going to insist then isn't it natural that I give you something to? As your friend."


He stands up beside me, the top of his head barely reaching my hip, and looks up at me.


"It's time we get you out of this place. I'll be with you so there's no need to worry."


"Really?"


"Really." I nod. "Let's go for a walk around town, together."


Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680


UPDATE: I'm (still) looking to commission an artist to draw Jeannine. If any readers know of someone good, please send me a message. Thanks!