- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jeannine and Nick catch up over a meeting...

POV: Jeannine

---------

I must have been five years old when I first learned about Lilliputians. Back then my mom just called them 'the really little people'. Seeing one in person was rare so I settled for reading about them in books. As I turned the pages, I developed an unusual admiration toward them.


Their continent is… Or rather, *was* nothing less than a prosperous, technological marvel. When our peoples first came into contact a century ago, they had class IV drugs while we were still trying to figure out how diseases spread. Needless to say, our country jumped forward leaps and bounds once they shared their knowledge with us. 


We used them until we didn't need them anymore. Once we caught up with them, we began to 'outrun' them. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly why things went wrong, but I'd wager that it's mostly due to greed. 


A nation far larger than our tiny island, hosting billions of speck-sized people? They don't need all of that space. We could use it better. 


More importantly, how will they stop us?


War broke out. I call it war, but it barely lasted a week. It doesn't take a genius to guess who came out on top. By the week's end, ninety percent of their people were wiped out. It would have been one hundred percent if not for their complete and unconditional surrender. Out of 'mercy' we left them with a small corner of the continent, claiming the rest for ourselves.


My city was built in that stolen land, now referred to as 'New Brobdingnag'.


"They renamed it hoping people would forget. And they did."


I sigh loudly. Despite all of that dark history, my Lillis are doing well. The once barren land I gave them is now starting to fill up with houses, farms, and more.


It's been three days since I brought the second group in and they've integrated seamlessly. Not only that, but they’ve also filled in the gaps in knowledge that my first group had. Of course, these are just the bits and pieces of information that Nick's been feeding me. Our formal weekly meeting is scheduled for later today. 


As a Brob, I only notice what's clearly visible to me. Even when I lean in close, and I don't make it a habit, I'm only ever privy to the surface-level features. A bird's eye view, so to speak. That's why I love Meeting Day so much. For an hour a week I get a window into their little world. 


It's unbelievable exciting!


I enter my room without a word. Since I come and go so much, there's no need to greet them every time. A check-in once a day is usually enough, along with a 'good morning' and a 'good night'. I do however glance over at them. I see little specks moving about, unconcerned with the giant girl just a few feet from them.


Standing near the bed, I give my back to them to change. I try to be quick about it since I'm in plain view. I strip off my top and promptly put on a new one. For the first three weeks this used to embarrass me, but now I don't care all that much. Of course, I'd never face them when changing. 


To have them all see me... Ew, just no. 


I'm told that they're courteous enough not to stare at my back, but even if they do I wouldn't be all that bothered. I'm comfortable in my own skin and confident enough to not care. There's nothing I can do to stop the ones who do, if any. I was the one who put them in my bedroom in order to keep a closer eye on them. That decision came with its drawbacks, but I prefer it over having them out in the living room.


Living so closely with a roommate is hard enough. Living with twenty of them is another thing altogether. We're getting used to each other, settling into a comfortable routine. Over time, our barriers are breaking down. I try to appear as 'queenly' as I possible but my silly side does show every so often, to my dismay. The only one who regularly sees that side of me is Nick.


Once I'm done, I turn and approach the town. Kneeling at the border, I speak softly as not to disturb them. 


"Hey, has anyone seen Nick? I know it's early but I would like to have our meeting now, if possible."


Sure enough, I hear a voice through the earpiece I'm wearing.


"Hi, Jeannine. Sure, I'm ready now if you want. Give me a minute to get there."


"Take your time~"


Soon enough Nick appears, or at least I think that speck is him, since it's running toward my finger. 


He's panting over having to run a 'grand' distance of three inches. I find that so unbelievably cute. Shortly after, he clambers onto my nail.


"Up we go."


Without further ado, I stand up and take him with me to the dining table outside. It's the place where we first met and it's been our meeting place ever since. By now I've gotten very good at keeping my hand steady while walking. That, or he's just not complaining about it. 


Hopefully it's the former.


I set my finger down and allow him to step off. Once he's on the table I take my seat, crossing my arms on the table and leaning forward eagerly. I smile at him without thinking, my eyes doing their best to focus on the little guy. It's not as difficult today. He wore black to contrast the white tablecloth. How considerate of him! 


"I apologize for doing this early. To be honest, I couldn't wait. Thank you for indulging me, Nick."


"Anytime. How could I say no to the person who literally saved my life? I can never repay that. Plus, you're my friend."


"There's nothing to repay. And likewise."


"I know, but the feeling's still there." He says, while audibly shuffling through papers. "Okay, where should I begin? Anything you're particularly interested in?"


"Hmm. Tell me about the town, expansion projects, and...the second group."


"Sure thing. Let's see here..."


Nick paints me a picture of the town in vivid detail. Thanks to the efforts of all twenty residents, the settlement is prospering. Water and gas pipelines have been set up below the ground. The electrical grid was designed in such a way that it can be built upon to accommodate a far larger settlement. What really impressed me is that it's all renewable energy. One hundred percent of their power comes from the sunlight through my bedroom window. 


As for the second group, he tells me that they've settled in nicely. Everyone is cooperating and sharing such that no one's needs are ignored. Apparently, one of the newcomers even asked for colored clothing, which prompted the others to do the same.


"And yet you chose all-black? How lame."


"Shush! Let me finish my report, this is important stuff." He clears his throat and continues. "By my estimates, I can confidently say that we're ready for the next ten or even twenty people, whenever you bring them. The new manufacturing facility could use the extra hands."


"Amazing. At this rate you guys will invent flying cars by the end of the year." 


"You know, Icarus did have an idea about those."


"Of course, he did. Why am I not surprised?"


"It's all just talk until we see it happen. But y'know what isn't just talk? Networks."


"Networks?"


"Yup. Our next focus is electronics, once we're finished with the hospital. Many from the second group required medical attention so we prioritized that." 


"Please make sure everyone's healthy. You aren't putting them to work while sick, are you?"


"Of course not! Come on, Jeannine, give me some credit."


My eyes squint at him skeptically. I'm only teasing, but I find his reaction amusing.


"Alright, we will see. Back to what you said before--do you mean like Wi-Fi and LAN?"


"Yes, if all goes well. Of course, this is still a while away. Don't expect us to get working computers and smartphones by next week."


"It happens when it happens; there's no hurry. Honestly, the fact that you all went from the stone age to the industrial age in a month is a proud achievement."


"Thank the Visionary Duo. They're ridiculously smart as well as good teachers."


"We're lucky to have them. Hmm, did I have any other questions?" I ask myself aloud. "I think we've covered everything?"


"Actually." Nick says in a noticeably less confident voice, "I have a request."


"Yeah, anything you guys need. Shall I bring more materials tomorrow?"


"No, that's not necessary. The request, or rather, my request, is of you specifically."


My head tilts to the side in confusion. I wasn't expecting him to say that. 


"Okay. What's the matter?"


He hesitates, going silent for a time. I give him a few seconds but he still doesn't speak up. I'm starting to get worried.


"Nick, dear, is everything-"


"I want to see the outside world!" He blurts out suddenly. "I need to--I mean, I really want to know more about your world. I want to see things like a Brob does. Yes, I know it breaks the rules, but I won't be sneaking off on my own. I was hoping you could take me with you sometime."


My instincts tell me to shoot this idea down now. Just thinking of how many things could go wrong is giving me anxiety.


"I don't know... How would we even go about this? Would you let me stick you back into a vial and carry you around in my purse? I doubt you'd see anything from in there."


"Exactly. That's why Daedalus and I have come up with something way better. Totally safe and totally discreet."


"Okay, go on."


"An earring. He's designed a wearable accessory that's big enough to hold a Lilli inside. It's even got some stabilizer thingy that'll make it so that I don't feel the shaking from your movements. Oh, and I won't be seen from the outside but I'll be able to see from in there."


"That could work, I guess. Still, it's a crazy idea by all accounts."


"I know, I know. Please, Jeannine, it would mean so much to me. Just once is all I ask."


I consider the idea. It's interesting, that's for sure. He'll be a little close, though... 


"You don't mind hanging around with me all day in your little bubble? You'll be stuck in there until we get home."


"That's fine by me."


"And being in such a big world... That doesn't that scare you at all?"


"Not as long as I'm with you."


I feel my cheeks get a little red. He trusts me that much? Oh my, this is making me feel self-conscious. What happened to the little guy who hated my guts just a month ago? 


He's really grown.


"Your request...is hereby accepted. We'll figure out the details once I see this earring-pod-thing built. Unless I feel it's one hundred percent safe, I'm not letting you use it. If anything were to happen to you..."


"Don't go showing favoritism, miss giantess! I might just get a big head." He laughs. "But seriously, nothing will happen. We'll be in contact the entire time through our earpieces."


"Promise me, Nick."


I extend my pinky finger to him, getting so close that I nearly run him over with it. With some concentration, I feel the slightest touch, confirming our 'handshake'.


"Fine. Let Daedalus know about my conditions. This stays between you, me, and him, until the day. Agreed?"


"Yes, ma'am. Now that that's out of the way, this meeting is officially over."


I nod and offer him my fingernail for him to climb onto. Lifting him up, I bring my hand close to my body and shield him with my other hand. For some reason I'm feeling overprotective of the little guy. We're both silent until I return him to the town once more. As I'm standing back up, ready to get on with my day, he calls for me.


"Hey, Jeannine, one more thing! I can't believe I forgot to write it down in my notes."


"What's the matter?" I say, hoping this isn't a confidential issue. The town can clearly hear me now that we're in my room again. "Is it urgent?"


"Sort of? It's about the town. It needs a name, don't you think? Calling it 'settlement', 'town', and 'land' isn't fitting for such a nice place. Wouldn't you agree?"


My eyes light up. He makes a very good point indeed. I strike a 'thinking' pose.


"Hmm. Do you have any ideas? Sadly, I've got none at the moment."


"You're in luck, we've come up with a name for you. It just needs your approval."


"Oh?" I get down low, sitting on my legs with my hands placed on my thighs. "Do tell."


"Magna Gratia! To show that our gratefulness is as big as you are!"


"Aww! Yes, I like that a lot. You have my approval." 


Suddenly I see tiny fireworks explode in the sky, or about waist height compared with me. I nearly jump at the sudden popping noises, gasping in surprise. There are all sorts of pretty colors and shapes, all easily big enough for me to see without straining my eyes.


"Scream it loud, people!" Icarus yells through the speaker system.


I hear both Nick and the rest of the townspeople cheering together.


"Welcome to Magna Gratia!"


Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it!


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680