- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The second group arrives at the town...

POV: Aurelia

---------

Bright light stings my eyes as we're picked out of her purse. We emerge, coming face to face with the Brob girl who bought us. I didn't get a good look at her before, but if I were to describe her with one word, it be would 'overwhelming'. The ten of us in the vial are frozen in fear. The sheer scale of her this close to us evokes a primal fear unlike anything I've felt before.


So, this is it then? I'm only twenty-seven. My wedding was just a few months ago. Spending the rest of my life with Sam was the only thing I ever wanted. How ironic. 


At least we'll get to die together.


I cling to my husband's arm and shut my eyes. He's trembling, but he doesn't want to show it. He's trying to be strong for me.


"It'll be okay, Aurelia." He pulls my head into his chest and strokes the back of my head. "I'm right here. No matter what happens, we'll endure it together."


He runs his fingers through my hair to calm me down. It works somewhat and I manage to calm my racing heart. He always knows what I need.


The giantess kneels and brings us to the ground. I was so afraid before that I didn't even realize where we were. It looks to be her bedroom. She's pinching the vial between two fingers, lowering it to the floor. She then tilts the vial sideways, ever so slowly, before popping off the lid.


"What in the world...?" Sam says. "This is a settlement. She's got more of us."


Still kneeling low, she clears her throat before addressing us.


"Hello everyone, my name is Jeannine. I'm sure you're all very scared and confused so allow me to explain." 


She sits down cross-legged just outside the border of this place. 


"Welcome to your new home, name pending. I've purchased the ten of you because I think you deserve better. Despite what my kind thinks, I believe your lives have value. You shouldn't be treated so terribly just because you aren't as big as me."


I'm speechless. This is the most unusual thing I've ever heard. This girl, Jeannine, is nothing short of an oddity. I look to Sam for his reaction. 


He's wide-eyed and unblinking. I've never seen him look so shocked in all the years I've known him. I turn my attention back to Jeannine.


"So long as you live here, you will be under my protection. No harm will come to you from anyone. Naturally, these conditions do come with some rules. Please turn your attention to my friend, Nick."


Outside the vial is a young man waving to us. There are a bunch more Lillis standing behind him too. He doesn't seem frightened in the slightest, despite the looming giantess behind him.


"Hey guys, mind stepping out already? That vial looks cramped as hell."


With some trepidation, our group steps out of the glass prison and into the open. I lean close to Sam and whisper. "This can't be real. What do you think?"


His eyebrows furrow and he gives me a tight-lipped smirk.


"Who knows? Either way, it's probably best that we do what they say. Stay close to me, alright?"


I nod and take his hand firmly. Together, we join Nick on the outside.


"Everything Jeannine said is true. She's a kindhearted person who takes every opportunity to make our lives better. Don't believe her? Just look at the rest of us. We were the first group, you're the second."


The crowd behind him murmurs in agreement. 


"Before we go any further, let's get the boring stuff out of the way. Bear with me, guys."


The young man breaks down Jeannine's ten rules for us. They seem fair, I think. Sam and I exchange glances. Yes, we're of the same opinion. This place, this anomaly in the status quo of this world, might actually be safe.


"That alright, Jeannine?" Nick looks up while tapping his ear. He appears to be wearing some sort of electronic device. "I think I covered everything?"


Jeannine taps her own earpiece and then claps her hands softly, applauding him.


"Very well done. Five stars, my tiny friend."


Nick looks back at us and gestures to the crowd.


"I know that this is all very sudden and you need time to process things. To that end, I encourage you all to mingle with our group. Whatever you're feeling, we've been there too. Any questions for me or Jeannine?"


The ten of us shake our heads. His introduction was very informative, honestly. I'm sure I'll have some questions later, though.


"Great. I'll be going around to speak with each of you sometime later. If you need anything, and I mean anything at all, don't hesitate to approach the rest of us. That includes Jeannine, of course."


"Yes. Please don't hesitate." Jeannine tells us.


We brace ourselves as the giantess stands back up and leaves the room. Now alone with only the other Lillis, we breathe a sigh of relief. 


"So…" Sam says to me. "Do you buy all of that?"


"I don't think she's malicious, I didn't get that vibe at all."


"Same here. It's almost like a dream... A Brob who doesn't want to squish us and a whole town of Lillis living in peace."


"I'm having a hard time believing it, but it's right here. I'm seeing it with my own eyes." I tell him, wrapping my arms around him. "Maybe...we will get to spend our lives together? This could be it, Sam."


He hugs me tightly and kisses my forehead.


"It might just be, Auri. Want to look around?"


I nod. If we're going to stay here, we should get familiar with the place. The two of us head into the town as the group disperses. 


To say that I'm astounded would be the understatement of the century. There are houses, some with two floors! Not shacks, not makeshift homes but proper residences. There are power lines running overhead like a spiderweb. Are those lightbulbs?! Oh my! Pipes run along the outside of buildings carrying water. Real, running water!


"They don't have to haul buckets around." I shake my head in disbelief. "No need for fires at night either. This is incredible."


"It is. It really is."


We're too busy gasping and gawking at the town's features to notice the woman approaching us from behind.


"Hello. How are you two settling in?"


"So far so good." Sam tells her, extending a hand to shake. "I'm Sam. What's your name?" 


"Orina, but most call me Ori." She shakes his, and then mine.


"It's nice to meet you, Ori. My name is Aurelia. This place is incredible!"


"Thank you very much. We built it together under the guidance of our engineers and some help from Jeannine. It took about a month."


"Oh my! What an accomplishment. And just ten people?"


"Mhm." She nods. "It wasn't easy, but it was well worth it. Everyone has a role here. Speaking of which, do you or your boyfriend have any useful skills? Actually, wait a tick..."


Orina gets closer, almost in my face and we lock eyes for a time. She then does the same with Sam. Appearing satisfied, she steps back.


"You're married. Not for very long, right?"


"That's exactly right. How did you-"


"It's a gift. I can usually read a person after looking into their eyes for a moment."


Sam and I exchange glances and then shrug. There's no harm in telling her about ourselves. He speaks for the both of us.


"I was an explorer. Like, a forager and a scout and whatnot. Our settlement was always low on food and resources. Auri here is a farm girl. She knows how to raise all kinds of livestock."


"How wonderful. We've been lacking someone with those skills. Both of you, I mean. You should tell Nick. He'll sort the rest out for you."


"We'll do that. Um, Orina?" I pause for a moment, considering how to ask my question. "Would it be possible to get some actual clothes? These rags are...yeah."


I blush profusely. The first thing that struck me when we arrived here was how nicely dressed everyone is. Back home we used to wear togas, mostly. These people have stitched clothing with buttons and nice colors, like the kind the Brobs wear.


"Of course. That's actually my responsibility these days, what a coincidence. I'll bring you some clothes as soon as I can, but please understand that I also have to do that for the others." 


"Take all the time you need. Thanks so much." Sam tells her.


"Yes, thank you. Oh, and my favorite color is baby blue."


"I will keep that in mind." Orina smiles. "Have a nice day, you two."


She walks away, leaving us to each other. 


"She's a bit strange. Nice, but strange." Sam tells me.


"Yeah. I don't dislike her, though."


"Same here. And what was that about baby blue?" He laughs. "Half an hour in this place and you're already making requests!"


I give him a light punch in the arm.


"Screw you. Let me be happy!" 


I laugh along with him. Huh, when was the last time I laughed? Like, genuinely laughed without a care in the world? It must have been when I was little; too young to understand how cruel and uncaring this world is. I think this was my first real laugh since way back then. 


Sam stops laughing when he notices my expression. Our eyes meet and his expression becomes concerned. It must be the look in my eyes, I could never hide how I'm feeling from him.


"Baby, that's all in the past. The doctors can't reach us here."


I think back to a few weeks ago when both of us were 'collected' from our settlement in the alleyway. Brob men and women carefully picked us out one by one and stored us in vials not unlike the one we just emerged from. Next thing we know, we're in some sort of lab. It was a medical one that made and tested drugs before approval for Brob use.


How hypocritical. 


The big people always claim that we aren't the same and yet they use us for testing due to our nearly identical biology. For three weeks we were intentionally infected with diseases and then given a motley of drugs to cure them. I say 'we' but it was mostly the others. 


By sheer luck, we avoided some of the harsher tests. Although, I still suffer from the side effects of one of their drugs. I'm often short of breath for no apparent reason; like I've smoked for thirty years. Sam gets terrible migraines at least once a week. He tries to hide it from me, thinking he's being considerate. The poor guy's definitely got it worse than me.


If I could take on both of our conditions, I would. Taking away his pain would be a dream come true for me. I'm sure he'd hate the idea. If anything, he'd probably do the same for me.


"I know. It's just that I often think of the others. They died like lab rats all so that the doctors could determine the lethal dose. Their agonized faces are hard to forget."


Sam brings me in and hugs me tightly. He then puts his hands on my shoulders and holds me out in front of him. His face is so serious that I tense up, worrying I've somehow upset him.


"Aurelia, I swear to you on my father's grave that I will NEVER let anything happen to you again. Whether it's Jeannine or this entire town, I'd fight them to my last breath for you."


"Oh, come on." I laugh. "Maybe the town, but her too? You'd take on that ten-kilometer-tall giantess?"


"If I had to, yes."


I surprise him with a punch to the gut.


"Ow! Hey, what was that for?"


"If a punch from me hurts, then maybe think twice about challenging the Brob."


I put my hand on his stomach and rub where I hit him, suddenly feeling a little guilty. He laughs, totally unfazed by my incredibly powerful blow.


"I don't know why but that punch made me kind of hungry. Let's get something to eat."


"Real food instead of crumbs? Yes, please."


Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. (seriously, I need feedback guys!)


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680