- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jeannine meets Nick for the first time...

POV: Nick

---------

The sound of footsteps outside the room tells me that Jeannine is finally home. I say 'finally' as if it's been a long time but it hasn't. My nerves are just getting the best of me. Self-doubt starts to set in and suddenly I'm having second thoughts.


The man operating the speaker system with me seems to notice my trepidation. Is it that obvious or is he just good at reading me? I'd guess the former. I wipe some sweat from my forehead and grip my notes tightly.


"Relax, boy. She's just a girl. Treat her like any one of us." 


"But she isn't one of us. Never was, and never will be."


"If you take that attitude with new people then you're not gonna get very far, least of all in this place."


"I-I know that..."


"If you know it then don't do it. Don't be hardheaded, kid. It'd do ya good to keep an open mind. This is a first impression since you avoided every opportunity to speak with her prior. Think you can handle not offending our only patron?"


I don't answer him. I don't even meet his eyes, I'm so frustrated. He leaves me alone about it for now.


The footsteps get more intense as Jeannine approaches. She drops her backpack on her bed and stands at our border. Towering over us, she puts her hands on her hips and leans over slightly to get a better look. 


"Looking good, guys. I don't even need to get close to see all the progress you've made. Very nice! Do we need anything? I'm not busy today if you want me to help build. Daedalus, are you around?"


Daedalus switches the system on and speaks for us, as he usually does. He's had the most interaction with her in our short time together, hence why she knows him by name.


"Welcome home, young miss. Don't ya worry, we've got things under control for the moment. Actually, I've got someone here who wanted a meeting with ya."


"Oh?"


He gestures for me to speak but I struggle to find my voice. It takes a smack to the back of the head from him to produce a responce.


"Hi, Jeannine. You mentioned wanting someone to speak with about issues." 


"Ah, yes I did. Rule four, if memory serves. Is that going to be you?"


"Uhm, yes. If that's okay! I mean, it should be. I'm..."


"I'd like to take this somewhere else. Would you mind coming with me?"


I freeze up. Doing a one on one with her was one thing, but leaving the village entirely? That sounds scary… Unfortunately, I don't have the confidence to refuse.


"S-Sure. How will we go about that, though?"


Jeannine kneels and reaches for the walkie talkie. In my panic I turn to Daedalus but he's already stepped out. He's waving at me with a shit-eating grin, that bastard. Her fingers make contact with the modified kid's toy and lift it high into the air. 


"This thing must be needing new batteries by now. Might as well change them, don't you think?"


The Brob girl carries me out of her room and to her dining table. It's a short walk, given her 'small' apartment. Though I'm holding on for dear life, the room inside doesn't shake all that much. Her hands are steady, careful enough not to jostle the tiny passenger. It's surprising.


She sets it down and takes a seat in front of me. Leaning forward, she places her elbows on the table and rests her head in her hands.


"You're nervous." She says softly. "I get it, really, I do. It would've been naïve of me to assume that all of my tiny friends would warm up to me. I thought maybe we could get some privacy and talk. What's your name, mister?"


Again, I take a few seconds to respond. From inside of the plastic structure, I can see her warm expression, patiently waiting. It makes me feel a little guilty.


"It's Nicholas, but I prefer Nick. And you're Jeannine, everyone knows that."


I cringe at my own comment. Why did I say that? How stupid of me. Thankfully she pays it no mind, in fact she giggles.


"Yup, that's me. Jeannine in the flesh."


There's a pause. 


Usually, I let others lead our conversations, but Jeannine keeps waiting for me to speak up. She's not giving me the luxury of following her lead. What is she up to? Never mind that, I have a job to do. Enough worrying! 


"It's nice to meet you, Jeannine. I mean, we've already met, but like, this is more personal."


"Likewise. Yeah, I get what you mean. So, tell me Nick… What have you got for me?"


"Uhm, yes, right away! Just a moment, sorry..."


I ruffle through my notes, searching for the right paper. Crap, this probably makes me look bad. Disorganized and stumbling over my words, I must look like such a fool.


But she doesn't comment on it.


Not a word.


"I f-found them. S-Sorry, Jeannine."


She gives me a silent nod. Looking through my notes I consider what to start with. There are personal messages, progress reports, materials lists, and more. 


Hmm...


"S-So I've been going around... You know, like gathering information and stuff. I s-spoke with the others and got some...other stuff to share too. Like, it's...um...where do I even start?"


Jeannine's expression turns to one of concern. She shifts in her seat, sitting up and moving her hands to somewhere out of sight, likely her lap. Crap, this isn't going well. Is she getting impatient? Am I making her mad? I should get to the point already. I'm going to start with the progress reports. 


Yeah, that's a good idea.


"So, the t-town is coming along pretty-"


"Nick." A powerful, soft, regal-sounding voice cuts me off. "Save the information for later. I want to talk about you."


"A-About me? Um, sure. Is there a...uhm...anything you'd like to know?"


"Why are you so afraid of me? Have I done anything to make you nervous?"


"N-No, you haven't."


"Have I said anything unsettling? Am I too close?"


She scoots her chair back a bit giving me way more space than I already had.


"No, it's not that-"


"Do you think I want to hurt you, specifically?"


"I-I'd never-"


"Do you have a personal issue with me? Or maybe it's-"


"No! It's none of that!" I yell. "It's because you're a Brob!"


I immediately cover my mouth, realizing what I just said. Not only did I interrupt her, I just said the worst thing possible. My body trembles in fear. 


"I-I-I didn't mean that! I'm so sorry. Please don't..."


"Don't what?"


The honest answer to that is not something I can bring myself to say. It would only dig this hole I've made deeper. 


"Don't be angry." I lie.


"That's not what you were going to say, Nick. Why don't you speak your mind?"


I hesitate. On one hand I could deny it but that doesn't sound too smart. There isn't anywhere to run or hide either. I sigh and prepare myself for whatever consequences will follow.


"Please don't hurt me."


Jeannine frowns. I'm sure she knew what I was going to say but hearing it makes her no less sad. Suddenly I feel a pang of guilt.


"I understand that you hate my kind... It's no wonder you avoided me until now."


"Suppose I do, would you blame me? If I said how I truly feel, would I be squashed under your finger? Get stomped on like a bug?"


"No, you wouldn't."


The tone with which those words leave her lips shakes me to my core. I felt like I was building to something, only to have my footing ripped from under me. 


Somehow, someway, I believe her.


"My dear Nick, what did they do to you? What sort of cruelty did you suffer?"


"It doesn't matter."


"It matters to me."


"Telling you won't bring the dead back to life. Nor will it make me feel any different."


"Please tell me anyway."


Why is she like this? She doesn't understand the pain it brings me just to remember. It was only a while ago; the wound is still open and bleeding. I'm not ready for this. It's unfair of her to ask this of me. Just because she's big and I'm small doesn't mean she's got any rights over me. 


I'm not her property!


"I can't."


"Try."


"I can't, Jeannine!"


"You can."


My face is getting hot. If only I was bigger, I'd have left by now; simply walked away, leaving this worthless Brob to talk to herself. The fact that I can't just makes me angrier. There's no way out of this, is there? Fine, Jeannine, I'll comply. Dominance over 'tinies' must feel great, huh? 


"My mom, dad, little sister, best friend… They were all I had. In an attack that lasted less than a minute, I lost every last one of them along with m-my home."


I pause as my voice starts to break. 


"They were crushed. A giant foot came down on us. No one saw it coming and no one had a chance to hide. Repeatedly, until there was no trace of us other than red dots on the marble floor."


My eyes start to get watery but I don't stop.


"They were good people. Honest, hardworking, compassionate people who were just trying to live in a world that didn't want them. Do you know how it feels to live in fear? True fear--the kind that keeps you up at night and chokes you during the day?"


Jeannine stays silent, letting me continue until I'm done.


"I still have nightmares. The sight and smell of blood is unforgettable. And after surviving that hell I was sold. You hear me, Jeannine? Sold! Like property! Treated worse than animals and left to rot in a dark, filthy, decrepit place."


A tear falls down my cheek.


"Why, Jeannine? You tell me, for once! Why did this happen? Why did I have to be born lesser than you? Why don't I matter?"


Another tear falls, dripping off my chin.


"I should've died back there. If not, then certainly in that shop. I wouldn't be around to feel this pain! You...you didn't have to...!"


At this point I begin to sob. 


I can't contain it any longer, the dam just bursts. Hot, stinging tears wet my cheeks despite my best efforts. I want to scream but I'd rather not make a bigger fool of myself than I already have. How must I seem to this girl? Not only am I a speck, but I’m also a speck that's crying like a baby. 


I couldn't be any more pathetic.


My stifled sobbing stops short when I hear Jeannine whimpering. Wiping the tears from my eyes, I raise my head to look up at her. Tears are falling down her cheeks. She's covering her mouth with her hand but it's doing little to hide the fact. 


She looks just like me.


"J-Jeannine? Why... Why are you crying?" 


"I'm so sorry, Nick." She tells me between sobs. "I had no idea. The suffering you Lillis endure--I thought I understood it. Hearing it from your mouth is just...heartbreaking. I'm so sorry!"


Why is she apologizing to me? She isn't part of my tragedy but now she's crying like she understands. Like she feels for me? Is this pity or compassion? It must be an act. It's got to be, right? There's just no way.


Seeing her beautiful face ugly-cry like this makes it seem almost genuine. She must know how unbecoming it looks, right? Although, I'm no different.


"S-Stop crying already! What's done is done. Your tears w-won't..."


My tears return and I stop talking to wipe them from my eyes. Dammit, why am I crying again? Why do I feel this way?


"You're right, it's just that... I can't help it. I wish I could make your pain go away. I wish I could heal that wound of yours. I know I can't...and that's why my heart is aching."


I close my eyes tightly. This frustration I'm feeling has no target. Aiming it at Jeannine is no longer possible. What do I do with this? How do I make it stop?


"Fuck you, Jeannine. W-Why did you..." I sniffle, "Why did you have to be so nice?"


My words cause the giantess to sob all over again, louder this time. Tears fall from her face, splashing down on the table. Although my tears have now dried up, I allow her a moment to let it out as well. Once she calms down a bit, I decide to confess something.


"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that to you. In the short time I've known you, you've only ever been kind and considerate to us. This pain I carry with me, I don't know if it will ever heal. Whether it does or not, you should know that...I don't hate you."


She wipes her face and sniffles. Her puffy, red eyes look at me with what seems to be gratitude. I'm not sure.


"I appreciate that. Maybe one day you'll even grow to tolerate me?" She giggles, lightening the mood somewhat. "Ah, I must look like a mess! How embarrassing..." 


"You look fine. Don't worry about it."


My willingness to so casually converse with her should feel wrong, but it doesn't. It's quite the opposite. This feels nice. I don't feel anxious, at least not right now.


"I guess we got pretty off-track with this meeting. Want to do it some other time? You seem like you could use a break."


She shakes her head.


"No, it's perfectly alright. This needed to happen, for you and for me. It's something I knew I'd have to face when I decided to become responsible for the ten of you, let alone a thousand. I alone carry that burden."


"You don't." I correct her. "You have me. I'll help you."


Her eyes go wide. She leans in, probably a little too close, in an attempt to see me through the window of the room.


"Are you being serious? I thought you didn't want anything to do with me."


"I didn't before, but now I think I'm starting to see who you are. I can't believe I'm about to say this but... I feel like I can trust you."


Somehow her eyes get even wider and she gasps loudly, hurting my ears a little. She's quick to cover her mouth and back away.


"Sorry. I never expected you'd to say that." She removes her hand, revealing a smile that just won't go away, "You don't know how much that means to me. Thank you, Nick."


"No, Jeannine, thank you. I've been terribly ungrateful for all you've done. All of the others realized it already. In fact..." I pull out my notes again. "They've each given me a message to pass on to you."


Over the next ten minutes I relay each message one by one along with the name of the person who said it. By the end of this, Jeannine is blushing. She's fanning herself with a hand.


"That was so unbelievably sweet. I need to thank them. Maybe I could-"


"There's no need." I cut her off. "I'm sure they already know."


She sighs and sets her hands down on the table again.


"Yes, I think so too." 


Her and I share a moment of quiet. I think we're both sort of 'stuck' conversation-wise. Thankfully, she's quick to realize that, speaking up first.


"Back to business then? How is the town coming along?"


I shuffle through my notes for Daedalus' report. There's a ton of technical mumbo jumbo so I summarize it as best I can. My tone is noticeably more professional and confident than earlier. 


"We're on schedule. The finished project will be able to host anywhere between a hundred and one hundred fifty people, depending on who moves in where."


"Excellent. And how about resources and food?"


"Says here the regular food schedule is 'satisfactory'. Once we get the farms working, we should be somewhat self-sufficient. As for resources, we could use some more wood and...copper wiring, apparently? That's for Icarus."


"Okay, that's no problem. Did he tell you why?"


"That's...um. How long have you got?"


She raises a brow at me.


I spend a few minutes describing what Icarus told me during our one on one. He's quite the talker when he's passionate about the topic. Sparing the details, I tell her all about the plans for the city and its networks. As I explain, her eyes light up more and more.


"In his words it'll be self-sufficient, modern, and most of all, beautiful. I mean, it's a nice dream but we'll see how far we get. Personally, I think he dreams a little too big."


"Oh, don't be so pessimistic. The sky's the limit here--or I guess, my bedroom roof is?" She laughs. "But even that's pretty high up."


"I guess so. Still, something like that will take years even with your help."


She gives me a smug grin.


"I wouldn't be so sure. Soon enough your workforce will increase. I'm going to be saving more of you next month."


"A-Already? How can you afford that?"


"Leave that to me. I have my ways.", she winks at me, "Just be ready to welcome a bunch more people. Help them integrate into the town so the transition isn't as jarring as it was for you guys." 


"This is going to be a logistical nightmare. This is only my first day! Do you seriously trust me with this?"


"I have faith in you. Isn't that enough?"


"Thanks, I guess. I'll...do my best."


"That's the spirit." She nods in approval. "Now let's get you back to the others. I've no more questions so this meeting is now officially over."


Jeannine reaches for the speaker but then pulls her hand back. She looks to be thinking about something.


"Say, Nick, would you mind if I carried you back? Not in there, but on my finger?"


The offers catch me totally off guard. Though I'm no longer angry at Jeannine, I'm no less anxious. Not that she'll try to hurt me but more like she'll do it accidently. She notices my silence and quickly changes her tune.


"What am I even saying? That was a lot to ask all things considered. Just forget it."


"No, don't. I'd like that, if you don't mind? Please... Um, be very careful with me."


The urge to faint hits me like a truck. As soon as I emerge from the room, I'm met with the vast expanse of wood comprising the tabletop. Across from me, seemingly a kilometer away, is Jeannine. Her eyes scan for me, locking onto my position after a few seconds. Slowly, as not to scare me, she brings her finger down a few meters in front of me. Just her fingernail is as long as a soccer field. 


"Turn back, turn back!" Is all I can think.


Without the speaker there's no way she can hear me anymore. This feels legitimately terrifying. Yes, I did it before, but that was hardly my choice. I take a deep breath and climb on. Finding the nail's surface too smooth, I keep going until I'm on the skin of her knuckle. It gives me something to hold on to. I shut my eyes and prepare myself.


"Up we go. I'll be slow for you."


The giantess' finger lifts off the table as she stands. I feel myself ascend and then stop. Her finger bounces slightly with each step, but not enough to put me at risk of falling.


"See? You can trust me."


When I finally open my eyes, I'm met with a curving wall of white. Above me is Jeannine's face beaming down at me. She must've wanted to keep me clear of her breathing, lower down. Based on where I'm being held...


My face becomes red as a tomato. I keep my gaze focused up.


And only up!


The ride is only twenty seconds long before we arrive back at the town. She kneels and allows me to hop off. She then checks that the area is clear before placing the speaker back where it belongs.


"Welcome home." She says softly, giving me a friendly wave from high above. "I'll see you later, I've got lots to do."


I wave back returning her smile with my own. Without thinking I repeat the word she used, the one I've refused to use until now.


"Home."

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680