- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Taking steps towards a better tomorrow is admirable, this goes without saying. But one should always be aware of the consequences that may follow. 

Whether out of respect or a simple desire to live, none in the Depths dared move. No whelp sought battle, nor did any elder or alpha lift a finger. Even the currents that flowed throughout the infinite corridors of the deep wastes fell stagnant; void of life. A chill ran throughout the high-limitless space as the wrath of its Ruler became apparent. Cathay's anger was felt in more than just bones. It was cemented within each and every cell of the occupants of her domain. 


Even the slumbering Primal Lords, kings and queens of the watery abyss, felt their master's wrath enter their yawning dreams. Nearly stirred to rise, only one truly remained awake as the furious tyrant drew near.


Ordegash, sole order of the Depths, knew what was coming. They had seen it countless times, through fractures sequences of possibility. There were no surprises left for the all-Knowing titan. Still, to know where the Ruler's wrath was directed was a chilling sensation. Even to one as powerful and ancient as them, the pressure of a frenzied Ruler was near crushing. 


There was hardly time to prepare for their master's arrival as, before Ordegash could utter a single word, the world around them grew dark. The city that once served as their gatekeeper was swallowed by the pitch black void. Soon, the empty space came to be lined with countless, maddened eyes, all red with rage. Ordegash felt the pressure around them grow even more perilous, as though at any moment they'd  truly be crushed. 


Acting fast, the pale titan fell onto their gaunt arms, prostrating themselves. They spoke quietly, trying their hardest to keep their two voices as one.


"To… what do we owe the pleasure, my majesty? To grace this old lord with your presence? Intrusion born of rage."


Just as it seemed so close to crushing Ordegash's form, the pressure ceased as up above Cathay's shadow took shape. Given structure and mass through the countless eyes which served to constitute this pocket of creation, endless in expanse, the enraged Ruler looked down upon the protesting lord. Towering over the already titanic leviathan, Cathay was able to see Ordegash's arms twitching underneath their own weight, their undead appearance showing that they weren't meant to be used as such support. 


The vengeful tyrant did not care. "Don't even think about getting up from that position." As things stood, Cathay was so large in comparison to Ordegash that she could easily bring her hand down upon them and crush them like some insect. Not yet though, she still needed answers. "I want you to tell me exactly where Gilah is, along with her little pet. Pray that I like your answer, slug, or it'll be your life."


Just Cathay's words were debilitating. Like literal daggers in their pale flesh, Ordegash found it increasingly difficult to keep their position through their ailing body. Unlike the majority of their kin they had not dabbled in purely physical conflict, back when they still needed to do so. Their physical form reflected this, having grown weak and fragile, yet possessing the capacity to house boundless magic and knowledge. It wouldn't take much effort on Cathay's part to end the Primal Lord's life then and there. She would only need to use her power to ensure they did not regenerate, and given their evident anger that seemed to be a very real possibility. 


"Of course, my master. Anything you desire to know. Within reason. I am yours to command. Or demand."


Cathay rolled her eyes in annoyance and sighed. "And do try to keep your voices in order. It'd be unfortunate if I had to kill you out of irritation." Ordegash's manner of speech had always been a point of annoyance for the Ruler. Even before ascending to her throne, in the few interactions she had with them prior she always ended up confused by what they said. Their constantly opposing voices just irritated her to no end, even on the rare occasions she could decipher what was said. 


"Then again, I might just kill you anyway. Make an example of you before setting fire to that mud ball of a planet, Earth." 


Before their non-existent eyes, Ordegash could see the weight behind Cathay's threat. Hundreds of thousands of possible outcomes, all flashing images of yet another toppled civilization, and a bloody path cut through the cosmos as the Ruler made good on her warnings. Personally hunting down any greater being who had fallen in love with some lesser life form. For a Depth-Borne such as Ordegash, the thought of such carnage was tantalizing. Unfortunate, then, that they did not see themselves in any of these possibilities. 


If Ordegash was to enjoy the coming calamity then they'd need to ensure their survival. 


"My master, killing me would be… unwise. Poorly thought."


Cathay grinned, "And why is that?" She raised her hand high before bringing her fingers together, ready to snap and inflict further torment on the Pale Lord. 


"You would lose the Calamity's reasoning. Her explanation. Cause behind her actions."


Cathay remained quiet for some time before letting her hand drop to her side. As opposed to others, Cathay could not invade Gilah's mind thanks to their nature as one that would defy divinity. Were she to kill Ordegash then she'd lose learning of Gilah's reason for leaving. It was a clear gamble, one that the Pale Lord had several lifetimes to prepare. Still, they were pleased to see that their own reasons for survival were at least enough to give Cathay some pause. She was willing to listen to at least this, for the moment anyway. 


"The Calamity holds desires. Wishes. Of a better life beyond the Depths, away from the intrinsic carnage. Strong enough that she would seek out my aid. Would have given up anything to see such desires fulfilled. Almost. The Calamity would have dulled her teeth and claws, denied her nature and forfeit all that she is. Or was…”


“She wished to run and hide away from the endless battles. Bury her nature, her sense of self, for a chance at peace. Pointless. Admirable. She was dissuaded."


Cathay raised an eyebrow in curiosity. She had managed to understand some of what was explained, though only in portions. Already she was developing a headache. "So Gilah came to you for… what? To change herself? Erase her 'nature'? You make it seem as though she changed her mind at the last minute. What changed?”


"The human," Ordegash replied. "They swayed the young calamity, imploring that she find a different path. A moving display. Naivety. Affection. Foolishness. Through his words the Butcher searched for a new path to walk. One she walks, now more complete than she has been in centuries."


Complete? "What is that supposed to mean?"


Ordegash fell silent, the Pale Lord weighing their next course of actions carefully.. "The Butcher sought an escape. Salvation. So a means was provided." Though never rising up, the decaying leviathan extended a hand forward. Confused at first, Cathay's eyes grew wide the moment she realized what it was the Primal Lord was holding in their hand. There they were, assimilated into the pale mass of Ordegash’s flesh, still shining the same magenta color even after being separated from the body. 


"For her salvation, her redemption, the Calamity offered her eyes. So that she may not draw others towards insanity."


Cathay looked upon the pair of eyes, as pristine as they had been when in the skull of her ancient ally. For a moment, her pocket realm faltered, and the Ruler's surprise slowly turned to silent fury. 


"I'm going to rip you apart now. Slowly… and painfully."


Ordegash quickly retracted the eyes back into their flesh before clasping their hands together in a sort of prayer. "Mercy, my master. Patience. The Butcher is well. Unharmed. Her sight, once a marker of ruin, now contains a quiet wrath. Controlled. To mirror her returned bloodlust." 


Cathay fury only worsened. "Gilah's bloodlust… returned? Ha…haha…" the Ruler held her hand close to her face, the desire to dig her nails into her skin growing greater with each passing moment. She couldn't remember the last time she was this angry. "Aha… actually, forget ripping you apart… I think I'll just swallow you whole."


The dark void grew turbulent as the great many eyes which hung in the air grew closer, splitting apart into gnashing mouths all ready to feast. An invisible force kept Ordegash in place, preventing any sort of escape or struggle, though it was clear neither would be possible. Cathay was practically salivating at the thought of this impending meal, the increasing amounts of saliva within her maw making its way into the pitch black nothingness above, raining down upon the struggling Primal Lord. 


“Your fury is deserved. Your commands, ignored and tarnished. Patience, my master. There is a method to the madness.”" The pale titan spoke with as much clarity as they could muster. It was a struggle to keep their two voices aligned as one, yet any sort of deviation would very well end their once seemingly infinite life. 


The shower of spit did not cease for some time, Cathay determining if Ordegash's words were even worth the time now. Thankfully, the Ruler's curiosity got the better of her. Releasing her invisible hold over the titan, Cathay allowed them this one final chance. 


"Speak quickly"


Though the path they were now walking, both Ordegash and Cathay, had been seen time and time again by the former, actually arriving at it the desired point would prove a tricky dance between life and death. Already, the pale titan was witness to several hundreds of its own demise. All but a few poorly chosen words away.


"You will give chase towards the surface of the little world, Earth. This cannot be denied, even by you. An immutable fact. But then… what?" A question that Cathay likely hadn't asked herself. "Several paths lie before you. Will you kill the Jason and unleash the fury of the Butcher upon a witless cosmos? Or banish the both of them into the Depths once more, damning them to an existence that is abhorred? Every story holds some conclusion. Which shall you choose?"


Cathay remained quiet; deep in thought. The void surrounding them lessened in intensity and the gnashing mouths returned to simple eyes. She had acted so quickly, only able to focus on her fury, that she hadn't even considered the what-ifs. Countless outcomes could arise from whatever decision she made in regards to the troublesome couple that continued to plague her. But it wasn't as though she could just let them leave her domain. 


…could she? 


Even after they had gone behind her back and sought to work with Ordegash of all beings? 


“You do not know, do you? Or rather, refuse to know? To change?” From their struggling position Ordegash cocked their head slightly to the right, bones cracking as they did, pondering. “Through your will you may see all things. But never do you look to observe the path you tread.” 


Cathay was quiet, deep in thought over what she would do after catching Gilah and Jason. Her first answer would have been to burn that little ball of dirt they tried to flee to into ash. Now though… She was having second thoughts. "What do you stand to gain from all this, Corpse Maker? Am I to believe this was done out of the kindness of your many hearts?" 


Though still on thin ice, the pale titan chuckled even in the face of the danger imposed on them. “Even for beings as refined as ourselves, kindness for the sake of kindness is not in our nature.” 


"Then. WHAT?” Cathay’s patience was running thin. 


"War, my Ruler. Conflict. Carnage. Against the world. Against the stars and the void. Against heaven and hell. To make the universe, every universe, bleed, as is our purpose. The fulfillment of our role in the order of creation." Ordegash rose, no longer bound by Cathay's power as she silently judged them. Looking up, the pale titan raised their arms in reverence, preaching of aspiration. "It is our gift... to the tapestry. Claws to the bones. Teeth to the flesh."


Cathay scoffed. "So that’s all this is then? More bloodshed? Bloodlust? Truthfully, I expected more. This… just seems so typical." She should have seen it coming. Even if they were god-like in power, the twelve slumbering Lords were still of the Depths. They were born of it. Molded by it. Forced to survive the impossible until they were so strong that they never needed to struggle again. But the craving for conflict, the desire to destroy all that laid before them, it was engraved into their very beings. Perhaps more so thanks to their incredible age. Regardless of the attempts made to control that almost genetic urge, it always reared its head before long. Even Gilah, it seemed, had fallen back into her ancient ways, though for reasons far different from what was considered normal.


"You misunderstand." Ordegash bowed as Cathay's eyes sharpened. Questioning her capability to follow what was being said was a certain, sure fire way to hasten the end of a life. "My apologies, my master… What I mean to say, to clarify, is that the arrival of the Butcher on Earth will draw the attention of many. Their fear. Admiration. War will come. It is craved. It is inevitable. War with the apes. War with the cosmos. War with all corners of creation. It was all bound to pass. Now, through the Butcher, as well as those who walk the same path, the conflicts may be guided."


They had seen it. Time and time again, war breaks out in the cosmos for reasons even Ordegash was unaware of. There was a constant, however, seen along the infinite paths they witnessed daily. Viewed in lesser numbers with each passing day but ever present. 


"The love Gilah holds for her human… It is one of many. Destroyers. High Dragons. Earthbound Leviathans. Divinity. The Demonic. Some, not all, have fallen for… lesser things. They are questioned, yet still they happen. This… affection. Akin to a plague. Like the coming conflicts it is unavoidable. But through them a path towards… lesser bloodshed can be walked."


"My Ruler, I ask that you consider this. Understand. We are creatures of violence. We are molded by it. Shaped. It is our air. As such, we do not create. Cannot. But we can guide." Ordegash brought their hands together as if in prayer, hoping their master would listen. "War will come, and we will have our fill of it. But what of the hereafter? What then? We are in a position to guide the future towards a desired outcome. These… ‘Sweethearts’... they are few now. Thousands among the millions I have seen. Conflict will come because of their affection. Intimacy that is not yet understood. Even denied. By Ruler’s such as yourself. But not forever, and when it is accepted… survival may be guaranteed.” 


Cathay understood now… to a degree anyway. Beyond the desire for battle and bloodshed, there was one primal urge that instigated what soon became natural in the Depths. An ever growing need to survive. From the moments younglings escaped the gnashing teeth of their parents, that’s all anyone has ever done in the Deep Wastes. Survive by growing stronger. Piling one corpse on top of another until there was no one left to challenge. Yet even then, survival was never guaranteed, and death could come as swiftly and suddenly as a rogue wave. Cathay remembered all she had done to survive, living so long that now she wasn’t even certain she could properly put her age into numbers. Ordegash was no different, likely recalling all they had done in order to ensure their survival, rising to a power just beneath the Ruler of the Depths. 


But their way of survival, clouded now as an endless lust for chaos, could not guarantee longevity. A civilization and race that relied solely on might could not last forever. The Depth-Borne were long living, some among their numbers even learning to refine their innate bloodlust. But not every battle can be won through brute force and pure power alone. Especially when said civilization was known for turning its teeth upon its own kin, if only to test out one’s superior might. 


Slowly, Cathay’s fury began to subside the more she realized what Ordegash had planned. As strange as it may seem, it almost appeared as though they craved… peace. An oddity in the Depths. Perhaps the very reason why they were banished to this spot in the Deep Wastes. Such a way of thinking was unheard of, especially from one so old. There was still the craving for war, seen in the desire to have their ‘fill of war’. But once that was satiated, there was a clear interest in peace that came from these Eldritch Sweethearts, as Oredgash had called them. An interest that was enough to give the Ruler of the Depths pause. She even went as far as to consider the possibility. 


“Perhaps, in time, even you can find your better half among the numbers of… lesser creatures. Those apes the Butcher has taken interest in.” 


And just like that, any understanding Cathay had was immediately lost. Her silent fury returned. Doubled, in fact, at the thought that she would ever willingly submit herself to those primates. Ordegash sensed this and immediately realized the error of their words. 


They fell silent, knowing now that there was no turning back. 


"Done speaking?" When no response was given Cathay smiled. "Good". The Ruler raised her hand high once more and snapped her fingers. Immediately, the decayed form of the Pale Lord was pulled inward, into the pitch black void at the center of their chest. Their body was condensed; compressed into such a small form that, before long, they hardly resembled the shape they had prior. The space of manic eyes faded away, returning Cathay to the ancient city which once served as the Corpse Maker's prison. 


In Ordegash's place there now rested a smooth white orb, no larger than the nail of the furious Ruler’s pinky finger. Though it was faint, a low heartbeat could still be heard, showing that the Primal Lord was still alive. They were conscious, fully aware of their predicament yet unable to do anything to fight back. No amount of power exerted would be enough to combat the might of the Tyrant of the Deep Wastes. 


Holding the pearly in between her thumb and finger, Cathay brought it up to eye level, carefully examining the round object. Making sure there was no flaw which could be taken advantage of. "Be grateful that I chose to keep you alive." She said, "You almost had me going for a second there. Actually making me think we could change." The Ruler pouted, condescending, before smiling over her own handiwork. “Beings like us never change Ordegash. Baptized through the blood of all who have challenged us, we ascend. We rise to devour all, gods, devils, and any that lay between the two. If war is inevitable then let it find us again. We will tear through the masses, just as our nature demands.”


Satisfied that there was no means on the pearl with which Ordegash could fix themselves, or have any other return their original shape, Cathay rose the small flawless orb to her lips. Extending her tongue outward, she fastened the pearl onto the undulating mass. Taste buds hooked into Ordegash’s new form, keeping them in place as the Ruler closed her teeth and sentenced them into the darkness of her mouth. This would be the pale one's new prison, a little piece of jewelry that would be kept close at all times so that this sort of incident may never happen again. Peering into the Primal Lord’s mind, Cathay was a little disappointed to see that they were not terrified. Rather, they had resigned themselves to their fate. Likely, the only paths they saw now was one of continued bloodshed. The nail in the coffin for the Depths should nothing ever change. 


A concern for later, however. Now, Cathay had more personal matters to tend to. 


"You'll be accompanying me to Earth." Cathay explained as her smile fell. "I want you to watch as I wipe the iteration of this little speck of dirt clean from the universe."


****


There was no sound, only silence. The waves were still, and the night sky was cool. Though dry, the surface had beauty that could very much be appreciated, especially to those born in an environment as hostile as the Depths. Peace was a foreign concept in the minds of many Depth-Borne, and when it was presented often did the idea go ignored. Should one wish for serenity than they needed to discover it for themselves. So it was that, when Gilah looked off into the distance of the city with new crimson eyes, she saw her serenity. Her peace. 


Her heart was racing, both from excitement and from fear. Gilah drifted in the sea, taking as much time as she could afford in the ocean. With her lower half altered to that of her tail, the leviathan knew that after tonight it would be the last time she would see it. “This is it then…” Gilah held her hands close to her chest, keeping her beloved close to her heart. “We’re really going through with this…”


She felt a smile form on the corner of her lips. 


Gilah curled her fingers, taking notice now of what she felt. Jason’s form, his arms and chest. The whole of his body fit snugly in her grasp. But the human hadn’t grown in any sort of way. Jason remained the height he had always been before entering the Depths. Rather, it was the Leviathan who had shrunk. Considerably at that, as per her agreement with the Corpse Maker Ordegash. She found it humorous to have struck a deal with someone of such a moniker. Some might feel any price paid would be too heavy, and in some cases they would be correct. 


Gilah had sacrificed her eyes, the means with which she had plunged countless minds into madness, along with her size. If she was to live amongst humans then she could not stand on a scale similar to mountains. The process of shrinking was slow, the distance between leaving Ordegash’s domain and arriving to the surface having taken the vast majority of the Butcher’s height. Now she was small enough to comfortably hold her Jason in a single hand. She relished the sensation of actually being able to properly hold him like no other. While there were no difficulties before in providing escort, Gilah could never properly grasp him. Hold her beloved so close without harming his small, miniscule body. Now, while still quite fragile, she could hold the human much closer than she had previously. She could feel everything on the surface. Jason’s greedy breaths of fresh air, his little heartbeat. Even the blood running through his veins. Everything was felt. 


Gilah’s grasp tightened as old temptations rose to the surface. She fought it off as best as she could, relaxing her grip as she clenched her teeth. It would be so easy to just… squeeze the life out of him. Feeling their body crumble, their bones break and their meat squish. It was a mouth watering thought, one that Gilah was finding difficulty in resisting. Only when Jason placed a hand on her cheek, now large enough to be fully felt, did such temptations begin to fade. 


“You good?” the human looked up at his still colossal lover with worry. He had seen it firsthand, the prices that Gilah needed to pay in order to be free of the Depths. Truth be told, he had wished the loss of her previous eyes were the highest price to be paid. Unfortunately, the true price came in the form of Ordegash depriving the Butcher of her prior means of repression. Centuries of suppressing her bloodlust, undone in but a few minutes. Jason could see it in Gilah’s new eyes that something had changed greatly within her. As she had swam to the surface, all varieties of Depth-borne beast avoided her presence, even as the Butcher continued to grow smaller. 


Gilah offered as gentle a smile as she could muster through her struggling temptations. She had forgotten just how strong they could become when ignored. It reminded her of the earliest days when she attempted to suppress herself. “As fine as I can be…” she chuckled. “Don’t you worry your delicious little head… I'm used to fighting my nature.”


She wished to say that such inner battles had only grown easier as time progressed, but after going so long without such feelings it was apparent that they didn’t just scratch at the back of her head. They shouted, screamed, demanding blood. But there was a greater temptation that overshadowed such ancient taste for violence. 


Gilah brought her lips close to Jason’s head, her tongue extending before licking the human. There was no way she could have done this before without the risk of swallowing him whole. She ensured her tongue was soft and smooth as it ran across the upper half of Jason’s body. Tiny hooks normally meant to drip onto food were softened to the point that, when rubbed up against skin, it felt akin to a slobbery massage. 


If she wished, Gilah could very easily bite Jason in half. Instead, when next her tongue ran across his face, it retreated back into her mouth as she planted a colossal kiss upon the human’s matted hair. 


“I’m more concerned for you Jason” Gilah admitted as she rubbed her index finger atop the human’s head. “You know what comes next. Are you certain you can handle it?”


Gilah’s smile softened as worry settled in its place. Ordegash’s instructions on the path they now walked didn’t leave much in the way of alternatives. They both knew what needed to be done, and it was far from a painless step forward. It was more than enough to give the returned Butcher some pause. 


Reaching up and grabbing ahold of Gilah’s finger, Jason gently ran his hand across its surface. He guided the leviathan’s hand to his side before placing a kiss on her nail. 


“We’ve come this far right? What’s a little bit of pain for our future together?”


Gilah’s heart skipped a beat as, briefly, her entire form darkened before returning to its normally pale complexion. “Oh dear, please watch what you say for now. Keep talking like that and I might have to take more than needed~.” 


“Just try and be careful, okay?” Jason requested as he leaned closer towards Gilah’s lips. “I’ll endure what I can but you’re the one who’s doing most of the work.”


“Don’t sell yourself too short now” Gilah replied as she opened her jaws. “We both know this won’t be easy for you.” 


Slowly, and as gently as she could manage, Gilah brought the upper half of her beloved into her mouth. She was too small now to bring him in fully, but with what she had managed proved more than enough to submerge Jason’s upper torso in saliva. It had accumulated quite a bit, showing that despite her worries the leviathan was in clear anticipation of this moment. It was rather nerve wracking for Jason, especially since he knew what was coming next. 


Gilah bit down, softly at first before the pressure began to increase dramatically. He could feel the weight of Gilah’s jaws and teeth, just the tips thankfully, piercing into his flesh. It burned fiercely, like having jellyfish stings all across where he was bitten. Even as blood began to spill from open wounds and fall into the sea, the iron scent likely drawing natural sea critters from miles around, Jason did move. He placed his complete trust in Gilah, knowing that she wouldn’t go too far. Still, despite the trust he placed in her, that didn’t serve to do away with the fear he felt. There was no doubt in his mind that she could rip the meat from his bones with incredible ease. Too much force and she could tear through his ribs and spine with the ease one would need to snap a string in half. There was no telling just how many she had actually consumed in such a manner, only that now she wished to do better. 


Always, she wanted to do better. Thus why the price she paid was so heavy. Through her returned bloodlust she needed to relearn control, but not through repression of her nature. Gilah needed to hone those temptations. Refine them in the way a Primal Lord would, and direct them through different means. She wished to make a life with Jason on the surface, and in order to protect that desire she needed to learn how best to control herself. 


Jason’s lack of struggling helped to make the situation far less perilous. Gilah recalled loving when prey fought back, so her beloved’s lack of movement was smart. She could still feel his heart and breathing, but also the tension in his body as he endured what most others would not be able to. Jason never even screamed out in pain as, even, the tip of Gilah’s teeth managed to touch bone. Normally, any fragile creature at this point would have perished. Thankfully, that was the intention here. 


The moment Gilah’s teeth touched bone, Jason felt himself change. A sensation washed over him as all previous unpleasantries left his body. A sort of humming, a vibration, that allowed him to relax. For a moment Jason’s body seemed to shine in a manner similar to Gilah’s when her skin darkened. A slight glow reminiscent of how her hair and scars grew luminous during such moments, though lacking in intensity. 


Gilah pulled away, a strand of bloodied saliva connecting her and Jason briefly before snapping. She licked her lips, savoring the taste, as Jason sulked over trying to catch his breath. “Goodness Jason, you are delicious~” Of all the things she had devoured in the past, not once had Gilah ever actually devoured a human. While the taste of one was nothing to write home about, the flavor of her own lover was just… euphoric. “I might just need to give myself another taste~.” 


Smiling at first, Gilah’s grin fell the moment she saw the light dim around Jason’s body. He clutched his chest, trying to breathe as the wounds left behind slowly began to close. What was only burning before soon grew to be incredibly painful again, and it was all Gilah could do but hold on tightly as she watched on in absolute worry. 


She gently stroked the back of Jason’s head with her finger, waiting for the pain to pass until she could speak. She knew this would be hard to watch and even mentally cursed Ordegash for having told them of this. While true, it was their only possible path forward to avoid Cathay’s ire, it still sucked to see her dear human suffer. But such was the risk of creating a pact. A bond between two beings, a greater and a lesser, commonly reserved for priests and their divine patron. Sometimes the pact is sealed through forms of worship, or offerings that earn a patron’s favor. But Gilah was no god, and instead was a slayer of such beings. A pact with her was more personal. Painful. 


A pact with Gilah required the blood of someone she held dear. Someone who was willingly giving themselves to her. In return, she’d be able to offer some of her own capabilities to her ‘supplicant’. Nothing truly outstanding, mostly the means to shield themselves from divine influence, but it was enough. Formidable in the right hands, but this was only meant to keep Jason safe. If Gilah could keep Catahy’s fingers from Jason’s throat then this pain was necessary. Still, it hurts to watch. Eventually, the bleeding stopped, the pact taking hold and preventing unnecessary death. Gilah wished that she had some form of regeneration, as that would only serve to protect Jason further. Some things just couldn’t be helped it would seem. 


“Hey…” Moving her finger underneath the human’s chin, Gilah guided their gaze upward. “You’re fine right? That wasn’t too bad?” she needed to know that her Jason wasn’t suffering during the entire ordeal. Bloodlust be damned, any pain she caused him was worthy of self punishment. 


Jason smiled weakly, exhausted but recovering. Whatever new sense of vitality was within him was meant to endure pain, likely thanks to Gilah’s conflict riddled existence. For a natural born warrior such as herself such tiny bite marks meant nothing. And so, though quite likely to leave a scar, Jason would survive. While not quite the barbarian as his titanic lover, he would survive. His natural durability has increased, along with whatever he had endured in the Depths. 


“I think… we’ll have to skip any love bites in the future…” 


Carrying Jason to her cheek, Gilah embraced the human. “Do you seriously think you should be joking, you silly little human?” Once more Jason tried his best to ensure Gilah did not have to worry about his being too much. Whether it was through jokes or the trust he placed in her, Jason ensured that he could preserve the leviathan’s smile. 


“I try my best… and that’s the most anyone can do…” Though he put on a brave face, Jason doubted the fact that he could move much on his own at the moment. Along with their new bond, the force behind Gilah’s ‘gentle’ bite was quite formidable. Jason very much needed a breather. “That said… think you can carry me home?” 


Gilah still had enough height to make sure the trip was comfortable enough for her small little human. Her strides shouldn’t take up too much time either, especially if she was being guided. That wasn’t the difficult part, however. Looking into the sea she looked upon her tail for what very well may be the last time. No more battles. No more Depths. 


No more Butcher. 


She lowered herself to her back, floating upon it as she lifted her tail high into the air. Jason looked on, silent but aware of what was going through her mind. Even as he was showered by droplets of sea water he did not say a word. This was perhaps the single most important moment of Gilah’s life. Where nothing would ever be the same for her again. It was a terrifying prospect, change of this scale. She has battled all manners of horrors, beings fit to wipe away all life in a galaxy if left unchecked. Hell… she was even one such being. Once, a wandering monster in search of her next battle, her next meal. Now, she longed to be more than that. 


She brought Jason close to her chest once more, feeling his heartbeat resonate with her own. This pact ensured that he would endure what other humans could not. Live longer, see what they can’t and understand what shouldn’t be. Through it the two of them were closer, tethered now and forever. 


It was the two of them until the very end. 


“No sense in stalling…” Gilah steeled herself, looking off towards the city; her future. This time she'd avoid the pier and find some other means to head onto land. She wouldn't repeat past mistakes. 


Gilah brought Jason up to her lips one last time, planting a kiss on top of his head. He managed to lean into it despite his fatigue, meeting Gilah with all the effort he could muster


 “Here’s to a whole new life~.” 


Diving underneath the surface of the sea, Gilah made her way towards the city. There, where a whole new beginning was awaiting her. 


****


Just what was Valerie doing here anyway? Looking out into the ocean from the old railings of the pier, bottle of liquid courage in hand, that was the one question poised in her mind. 


Why? 


Why was she here? Again? Over the past year Valerie has lost track of the amount of times she's spent the night out in the cold, looking over the sea and just… wishing. Wishing she could do something, anything, to save her little brother. 


She should have believed him when Jason told her. But how could she? Gorgeous sea beasts the size of a mountain? It was complete insanity, no different than their father's own words. In the end, it would seem Jason and the now passed patriarch of the Armitage family was right, and it was Valerie who had to deal with such knowledge. 


She knew so much now. Enough to drive lesser minds mad. But not her's. Ancient sea beasts, horrors and beauties alike, were real. Or at least that's what Valerie believed now. Everything she's researched seemed credible. Or at least as credible as a desperate woman hoped for. But what has all this knowledge amounted to?


Nothing other than an old boat drifting by a closed down pier and another drunken episode of regret. Perhaps she'd do it this time… sail just as she believed her brother did. Search out there for something. Some sort of answer for her mind flooded with questions. 


It was not an impulse she was unfamiliar with at this point. In fact, such an idea had only grown more common in her thoughts. Valerie couldn't even recall the last time she'd gotten behind the wheel of a boat. It must have been a few years by now. But… if it meant finding something…


Valerie clutched the bottle tighter as tears slowly began to form in her eyes. "Please… anything Jason… just show me that you're alive…"


She had given so much for her family, ensuring they could stand for themselves in hard times. But nothing, absolutely nothing, could have prepared her for this overwhelming feeling of guilt. 


Maybe it was the alcohol talking, but had Valerie believed her brother then could she have done something?


"You can't be gone. You can't!" Even now she refused to believe what everyone else did. She didn't want to move on when there was SOME glimmer of hope. But what could she do? 


Valerie's guilt slowly turned to anger as she raised the bottle of booze over her head. "Fuck you! You hear me!" She shouted out into the unknowns of the motionless sea, or rather whatever horrors could hear her. "FUCK YOU!" 


She threw the bottle, expecting to hear the familiar crash of its weight against the water. Instead, she was met with a peculiar sight. Just as the bottle had left Valerie's hand, not even a few feet past the pier railing did it come to a complete halt in the air. 


"What…"


Valerie rubbed her eyes, believing her mind to be playing tricks on her. Slapping herself across the face to sober up some she was baffled to find the bottle still in the air. A chill ran down Valerie's spine as an unnatural cold suddenly took hold. Exhaling, Valerie saw that her breath had become visible. The temperature had taken an incredible nosedive and before long the once drunken woman found her teeth clattering both from the cold and from fear. Valerie backed away, every fiber of her being telling her to run, but she was stopped as, suddenly, the glass bottle before her shattered. There were no cracks prior, no sudden pressure. It just exploded. 


Shards of glass fell into the ocean as, to Valerie's right, the boat she had spent a good amount of her savings on, suffered the same fate. Not as sudden as the bottle. In fact, it seemed to decay more than explode, but the point remained that the vessel had been destroyed, its frame falling inward into itself. 


Valerie fell onto her ass as all around her, several objects suffered similar fates. Old lights that still worked suddenly short circuited, rides that had withstood the test of time rusted, and buildings simply crumbled away. Everything around her was being destroyed, and yet that wasn't even the worst of it. 


Before Valerie's very eyes the sea itself seemed to rise, gallons upon gallons of water ascending as some tower. It just kept going and going, until finally the tower of water stopped at what could have very well been 5 stories. The column began to change, its simple shape shifting into something more complex. It wasn't long until Valerie realized that the water was taking onto itself a female figure. 


Valerie was left speechless, so awestruck at the impossible sight that she failed to realize, even as she was looking up at it, what looked to be a foot coming down. Only when the mass of water grew skin, silvery and pale, did the extreme need to move out of the way dawn on her. Valerie rolled to her side just as the foot came down. It crashed beside her, shaking the entire pier but not causing any further destruction. Still, there was no doubt in Valerie’s mind that, had she not moved, she'd have been crushed like some rodent. Looking back, she saw that the rest of the water constituting the body was changing, skin forming along with what looked to be cloth; an emerald dress that matched forming hair atop the beings head. Green scales and golden jewelry were seen adorning the naked spots of the creature's body, the latter shaking slightly as they took another step forward, thankfully ahead of Valerie. 


Wings unfurled suddenly, before wrapping around the massive entity's shoulders like some cowl. When all was said and done Valerie needed to remind herself to breathe, yet even that seemed as impossible as the figure before them. A monster… some sort of sea demon from the looks of it. They were still for now, observing their surroundings and unknowingly giving Valerie time to get a closer look. 


They were quiet, making sure to watch their weight so as not to alert this beast, but the closer Valerie got the more she was worried that her ever increasing heartbeat would give her away. This fear she felt, it was unnatural. Unbelievable. And yet, it was hardly as surprising compared to the face she saw. 


Having still gone unnoticed, when Valerie looked up towards the giantesses face she was left at a loss for words. Beautiful… that's the only thing that came to mind as, of all the things she could have expected, a gorgeous face was not one of them. 


Her features were nearly flawless, the only few evident being the scales which lined her body, and their shining emerald hair that fell past their shoulder didn't even appear to be wet from having formed out of water. The giantess's expression was stern, looking out into the city with fiery amber eyes, their thoughts and intentions a complete mystery to the speechless woman below her. 


That, in the and, was what seemed to be the most alluring. The giantess's eyes, like orbs of molten stone. But there was something beyond that, something expansive… something that Valerie couldn't put into words. 


"Woah…"


A single word, that's all it took for Cathay's eyes to fall upon Valerie. The world around her seemed to sink away as the gaze of this massive being focused only on the little human below it. 


“Great… I was hoping I wouldn’t have to see one of you apes for at least a little longer…” 


Raising their foot over Valerie, the Ruler was ready to rub this primate off of her list. No energy would be needed to snuff out this light. 


Valerie couldn’t move, left in awe at the sight of how something so large and powerful could move so fluidly. Even as Cathay’s pale sole began to lower itself down she did not move. Even if she wished to run, how far could she even get without being caught? Valerie knew, deep in her bones, that this little step wasn’t even a true display of this horror’s power. It was just the simple eradication of a single pest. Closing her eyes, Valerie waited for the inevitable. 


A year’s worth of worrying, learning, and guilt and this was how she’d go out it would seem. Valerie hadn’t even made it out into the sea before meeting some leviathan of the deep, and it wasn’t as if she was going to find the answers she was wishing for in this instance. No, just a few moments of life remained it seemed, as the titanic beauty above took their time. Valerie felt the soft sole of the pale foot meet the top of her head, matting her hair wet and forcing small amounts of pressure upon her. Slowly, she was forced onto the ground as the pressure rose, never enough to threaten the human’s life but more than needed to keep them pinned. 


They were taking their time with this. Valeire could tell that much. Whatever this thing was, it was finding some minor amusement in how the bottom of their foot molded around their prey’s body. Even at this meager height of only fifty feet human’s still looked to be incredibly fragile creatures. So delicate in fact that there was hardly any doubt in either minds that, with but the simple twist of Cathay’s foot, Valerie’s upper body would be crushed. 


“How Gilah managed to fall for even one of you is beyond me.” The Ruler played with Valerie’s body by using their toes to great effect, gripping at arms, their jacket and shirt, and even around their head. But like before, the pressure never increased to such a point that death was immediate. Instead, it grew. Gradually, air became more scarce with each passing moment. No matter how hard Valerie tried to push back, instinct forcing her to act against, she couldn’t get free. The more she pushed the deeper her arms sank into the soft skin of the sole. Far from callus or rough, the unassuming appearance of the foot did well to hide its strength. It was simply insane how little effort this titan of a woman was exerting and still dominating Valerie. 


“Though, I suppose not all humans can be like her… Jason…” A noticeable expression of disgust crossed the watery behemoth’s face as below, Valerie’s eyes widened in disbelief. 

 

Valerie’s efforts to free herself doubled upon hearing her brother’s name. She pushed against the titan’s big toe, trying to find some wiggle room to pull free. Above, Cathay watched on with minor interest. She was curious, as by this point most things would have given up. Then again… not all humans were too clever or bright. She wondered if they still played with sticks and stones over a roaring fire. 


“Tha…t’s m…my…” Valerie tried to speak, the pressure on her lungs preventing any sort of sentences from properly forming. She heard a sigh above, and in a faux display of mercy the leviathan raised their foot ever so slightly. Just enough to where Valerie could speak. One last intended taste of fresh air. 


One moment, that was all she needed to fill her lungs and keep herself from death’s doorstep. “That’s my brother!” 


Cathay looked down curiously at the shouting human, realization not yet sinking in. She wasn’t even sure if such a statement was to be believed as to her most humans looked alike. Weak, frail, so easy to kill. And despite Earth being quite the small planet compared to other worlds she’s annihilated it still housed billions. Was Cathay to believe this sole woman was an actual relative? 


A quick search through their mind, that was all it would take to find the answer, yet the more Cathay tried to search through Valerie’s mind the more she found herself unable too. As though something were preventing the intake of information. Only then did the Ruler realize that, much like her human ‘rival’, this little primate did not go mad upon viewing her. Even more, their ‘resistance’ to the unfathomable was even more potent than Jason’s. Perhaps there was some credence in what they said. 


Still, they did not remove their foot completely and kept the human pinned slightly underneath. 


“My oh my, how fortunate for me then.” The Ruler lowered herself down to her knees, making sure to prevent their weight from crushing this interesting find right away. “If what you’re saying is true, then I am quite lucky. I get to rid myself of both you AND your apparent brother. Why, that’s akin to pleasantry after all the trouble he’s caused me.”


The pressure returned, even greater than before, threatening to pop bones as it seemed this horror was ready to end it all. Even then Valerie refused to quit. This was already more than she could have hoped for, and while she wished to learn of her brother’s fate through better circumstances it was still better than nothing. There was no way she was going to let this opportunity slip past her fingers. Once again though, she wondered just what she could possibly do? 


“You… won’t find him…” Valerie managed in between breaths, any little bit of air she could hold on to was going to be used to stall this monster from the deep. 


While it may not have been one, the simple statement was deemed a fast challenge. One that wouldn’t go ignored. Searching through the minds of man was a simple trick, one Cathay had done countless times before. Only a select few needn’t worry of such an invasion of privacy, Valerie apparently included among those numbers, and as far as the Ruler could recall Jason had no such protection. But the more she tried to search the less she found herself capable of finding the human. Unthinkable considering, with but a thought, she could scan and crush the minds of trillions. Every other being on this little world came to her as clear as crystal, yet it was as though something was actively preventing the titaness from finding her desired victim. Realization dawned on Cathay, and she scowled. 


Jason and Gilah bonded while she had been preoccupied with Ordegash. A pact formed between the two of them so that the properties of the Butcher were applied onto her dear human. Most notable being her ability to ‘circumvent’ the might of the all-powerful. Cathay bit her tongue in frustration, knowingly putting the altered lord, still forced into the shape of a bead upon the fleshy mass, through hell for their defiant act of aid. Looking down upon Valerie once more Cathay’s scowl only worsened once realizing this human was right. She wouldn’t be able to find them. And while normally she could just grow to a size that dwarfed the planet, after her most recent series of rampages… Well, it was safe to assume that this time it wouldn’t be overlooked. The power of rival Rulers wasn’t something Cathay needed to concern herself with. She was, even now, still one of the greatest forces across creation. That said… the influx of work likely to fall onto her shoulders was less than appealing. 


“What… do you suggest then?” 


Valerie sighed in relief as Cathay raised her foot off of their body. She would never take fresh air for granted again. Planting the behemoth appendage at Valerie’s side, Cathay waited patiently for whatever more the human had to say. At this point in her life it was safe to assume that she was just about done with Jason’s whole family tree. But she couldn’t very well destroy the planet now that she likely had so many eyes on her. 


This was further than Valerie had expected to get, and judging by the look on the leviathan’s face it seemed evident that they were very much under pressure. So much pressure in fact that an idea quickly took shape. If this horror was looking for her little brother then why not give them what they were looking for?


At least in a sense. 


There was just no way in hell Valerie was going to actually give up Jason. Especially after learning he was alive. But maybe she could give this towering individual the aid they were looking for? At the very least take them somewhere else. Someplace hopefully far away from Jason. “You want my brother? Fine? I’ll take you to him.”


Cathay scoffed. “And why, pray tell, would you do that? Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t you little things hold family oh so dearly? You truly expect me to believe that you’ll sell your brother out just like that?” 


That was a very good point actually. One that Valerie should have thought about long before she even talked. She stammered, trying to think of some way to save face. “W-well, normally you’d be right!”


“Normally?”


“Yes, normally! B-but…” What could she even say!? This was kind of on the spot for her. “He never wrote! A whole year gone, can you believe it!? And not once did he even think to write me a letter. I mean, isn’t that just rude? Making his big sister worry like that?”


Cathay fell silent, unsure of what even to think. She was in no mood for games at this moment and whatever this stuttering human had planned clearly wasn’t working. 


“You kind of suck at lying, you realize that yes?” 


“Is it obvious I'm scared?” 


Cathay stood up straight, already intent on moving things along. “Enough prattling.It’ll only serve to earn you an early grave.” She eyed the human, wondering if she should just kill them and begin searching for herself. She tossed the idea away, already at her wits end. Were even the slightest thing to inconvenience her at this point, with her patience near non-existent, there was no telling what may happen. “You’ll take me to your brother, not because you have some faux vendetta against him but because I’m telling you to. Understand?”


Valerie nodded silently. At least things were proceeding in some way. Sure, not as she might have hoped for, but if she could guide this creature away from her brother then it was worth it in the end. 


Seeing as the human understood, Cathay was just about ready to depart into the city, her wings unfurling as she was ready to fly overhead. Valerie quickly stopped her, shouting up towards the titan. 


“Wait! That’s a bad idea!” 


Cathay looked down in further frustration before calming herself down. Her wings still spread, the Ruler hissed in anger. “And why… is that?”


Valerie rubbed her forehead clean of any building sweat, the tension of the situation forcing nervous perspiration down her body. It was some miracle that she hadn’t yet pissed herself, though she was mighty close. “They’ll see you coming a mile away! Think about it, you’re huge!”


“This is hardly anything compared to my full height.”


A terrifying thought that Valerie didn’t want to dwell on. “M-maybe… but the second they see you they’d turn tail and run, right? So… and please don’t crush me for saying this… but wouldn’t being smaller help out the both of us here?” 


Valerie threw her arms over her head, fully expecting a violent rebuke. Instead, as the seconds ticked by, nothing happened. It wasn’t as if such a reaction hadn’t been considered… at first anyway. But the more Cathay thought on it the more she hated to admit that there was some iota of a point to be made. With her hands tied as is, the destruction she caused prior now acting as something of a crutch, a smaller, less exposed form might have been in order. There was the matter of having to alter her current appearance. At certain heights, some of Cathay’s forms were less easily maintained. Even now she was just at the cusp of what she could manage without needing to go any smaller. Going smaller, in her actual body rather than an avatar no less, and she’d need to reconstruct herself again. ”And after I went through the effort of giving myself a makeover already…” 


She wondered what exactly she should turn into before looking at Valerie. Small mammal though they were… their form wasn’t all too unappealing. Through their shirt and jacket, Cathay could see the fibers of Valerie’s composition. Strong muscles, excellent features across their body, as well as quite tall for a human of the female variety. No, not bad at all. Nearly similar to humanesque Depth-borne as it were, clear evidence of hard toil and labor though obviously possessing far less strength. Not too ‘ripped’ as some might say. 


While stealing bodies wasn’t something Cathay would normally do, she considered taking Valerie’s briefly. Ultimately, she decided that would be more effort than it was worth. If she were to wear any skin it would have to be her own. Easier too, there was less resistance in needing to craft a human body for herself.  Bone and sinew were simple to mold, even more when it belonged to one’s self. As Cathay’s size decreased to a point she hadn’t experienced before, she watched as her skin took on a healthier pigmentation, lighter ivory as opposed to her previous deathly pale complexion. Her hair, thankfully, didn’t need to be changed all too much, the emerald remaining in the form of highlights that now tipped platinum blonde hair. Physical characteristics, while clearly smaller, didn’t need to go through any major change. Her previous form was human enough already and only really needed proper scaling. All in all, a rather eventless transformation.  


A shame she had to do away with her clothing, Cathay quite liked those. But looking at her bare body it was clear she needed to wear something. Using Valerie’s own attire as an example, the Ruler was easily able to construct herself a set of clothing. A pair of dark boots, jeans and shirt topped with a white coat, as opposed to the human’s own brown one. 


Giving herself a look over, Cathay decided the transformation was… acceptable. She couldn’t do away with all her height, appearing to be perhaps a head taller than Valerie, but not so much that she was an oddity among the humans. Noticing her ‘guide’ cowering underneath their own arms, the Ruler tapped the human on their arm to get their attention. 


Hesitant at first, Valerie eventually pulled her arms down to see the newly changed horror looking at her with the same molten eyes as before, the one thing that had remained unchanged.


“I suppose you’ll need to guide me now, yes?” Cathay asked. “I’ve never quite been this small before, so you’ll have to do the vast majority of the leading.”


Valerie was speechless. Before, she had believed the leviathan to be rather gorgeous. Looking at her now, at a scale actually comparable to a matured woman, and she was in another league compared to before. The worst possible scenario as Cathay, appearance wise, was definitely Valerie’s type. “You’ve gotta be shitting me…” 


She composed herself, slapping her left cheek before quickly walking forward past the Ruler. “Right you are! No sense in stalling then, let’s get a move on!” If there was a god, or any number of possible gods, they were likely pointing and laughing at the situation Valerie had found herself in. 


“So, I take it I'm pretty much being held hostage?” inquired Valerie. How else could things really be described?


“That’s an accurate way to see things, yes.” the leviathan replied. 


“Wonderful!” And Valerie’s night just continued to get better… “I take it you have a name right? So… is there anything I should call you specifically? I REALLY wouldn’t wanna piss you off by saying something I shouldn’t.” 


The Ruler thought on it for a moment, wondering if even sharing her name was necessary given the circumstances. If this human was living off of borrowed time was there even a point? It’s not as though there was any real harm in it, nothing this species of primitives could achieve was worth worrying about. One human by themselves shouldn’t prove too concerning. 


“Cathay,” She divulged unto the human. “Queen of the Depth-Borne, Ruler of the Depths and Tyrant of the Deep Wastes. One of the chief powers of the cosmos.”


Valerie’s heart sank…  


The very same Tyrant she was warned to avoid was standing right beside her. The very same one who’s domain was disclosed by the scholars who had informed her of so much that had remained hidden for centuries. Of all the horrors that should be drawn out, the Ruler of the Depths was the last you’d ever want!


“Fun name!” The human tried her best to conceal her fear, all while the need to piss only grew. “I’m Valerie, if that really means anything to you.” 


“A pleasure then.” Though courteous, the feeling of ever rising dread could not be shaken. “For however long you last, that is.” 


And just like that, Valerie’s night had gone beyond being a nosedive straight into hell. Dancing with devils might even seem tame compared to who she was with now. But as she continued to guide Cathay into the city she still felt that she was tasked with a duty. Somewhere here in this childhood home of her’s, Jason had returned. Without some of a similar nature to Cathay perhaps, but alive and well. Or well enough to have invoked a Ruler’s ire. 


Afraid though she was, Valerie still had a job to do. She needed to find some way to get Cathay off of Jason’s back. Looking at the Tyrant though, she wasn’t exactly certain how she’d do that. They were expecting a path straight towards their intended target, but no one said anything about any sort of detours. 


“You know, my brother and I used to go to an old friend’s bar quite a lot back in the day.” Valerie hoped Adrian was still awake at this time. She very much needed to cash in a friend’s favor. “We could start there if that’s alright?”


Cathay shrugged. “It’s not my life hanging by a thread. Do as you will.” 


“I’ll do you a kindness, however, and offer a warning…” A grin stretched across the Ruler’s lips. She rubbed her tongue across her teeth, enjoying the sensation of Ordegash’s round form. “Don’t even think of deceiving me, because if I suspect you have for even a moment I will swallow you whole.”


Certainly one hell of a threat. Enough to make Valerie second guess her plan. But she had a goal in mind. She needed to keep her brother safe no matter the cost. 


“Duly noted…” She muttered in disbelief, trying her hardest to remain brave. That still didn’t make any of this easier. “Just try and show some leeway please?”


She was making things up as she went along, only digging herself a deeper hole that, hopefully, could be climbed out of once everything was said and done. 

Chapter End Notes:

This took a VERY long time to write.


Shoutout to Anonwriter111 and Kardo for their help with this one. Thanks to them I didn't end up rewriting this chapter for a 4th time ahahahaaaa!

Ha... Oh gawd, such a long time to write...

Anywhoooo, after much effort here is chapter 9. Do hope you enjoy. This took a VERY long time to write Shoutout to Anonwriter111 and Kardo for their help with this one. Thanks to them I didn't end up rewriting this chapter for a 4th time ahahahaaaa! Ha... such a long time to write... Anywhoooo, after much effort here is chapter 9. Do hope you enjoy.

Also, this is now marked as the LONGEST chapter I've written for anything on Giantessworld! Someone get the expensive wine, we celebrating!

Be sure to leave a rating and review if you enjoyed. And check out the other writers of Eldritch Sweethearts. They're all awesome.