- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

How far exactly are you willing to go to see your goals and desires through? Far enough that you're willing to forsake everything you were and are? 

Even in the Depths, there was a hierarchy. Not something to be respected, not always, but rather, something to be remembered by those who could see past their instinctual bloodlust. Those who understood the value of simply waiting, to take a moment away from the endless battles, and observe that which defines their very existence. Even if it was only for a moment that they do away with their bloodlust, it is what may ultimately determine one's own life or death. Their continued survival, or their inevitable, bloody end. 


More often than not it is the Whelps which ignore such teachings. Lessons in life they would do well to learn, lest they become the meal of another beast. Stronger. Smarter. Something which had taken the time to learn of its surroundings, its nature, and knowing when to fight and when to stand on the sidelines. In a plane of endless conflict, opportunity was ripe for those desiring to do away with any large number of potential rivals. To wait until a grueling battle is over and pick off the stragglers. What may be seen as a cowards tactic is often the way of a full grown Depth beast. 


A stage above a Whelp, an Adult with enough knowledge and strength to live longer than most. Yet still a novice when compared to the ancient veterans of the Deep Wastes. Beasts and horrors that were even older and more powerful than a full grown Depth-Borne. More than survivors of countless battles. More than scavengers waiting to clear a battlefield of any wounded. Challengers and conquerors, Elder Monstrosities, Alphas, who are well respected by those which may stand in their way. Whether it be kin of the Depths or those beyond its boundaries, the power and knowledge of an Alpha is well known and avoided by those able. Only the foolish would seek battle against one. To fight a warrior of such age, strength, and experience is tantamount to suicide. 


And yet, even then, there are terrors beyond even them. Fewer in number, much fewer, but of such power that within the hierarchy of the Depths they are second only to the Ruler which lords over all. Even Cathay, once among the numbers of these terrors before her ascension, for all the weight and terror her reputation carried, knows well to respect the might of these ancient kings and queens. Royalty within the Depths, or something which comes very close to it in a plane that values strength and power. Survivability. 


They have triumphed over one trial after another, countless eons of their lives spent fighting, enduring, challenging, and overcoming every obstacle in their path, whether through cunning or simple brute force. Such determination was worthy of respect. Even that of a Ruler's. 


The words of these Primal Lord’s carries great weight within the Depths, as well as all that lay beyond. A title so rare within the volatile landscape that only twelve continue to exist among the possible billions that inhabit the watery abyss. With a whisper, worlds burn and stars grow cold. With a roar, civilizations older than the deepest histories are forgotten. Unstoppable. Invincible. The might of the Primal one is certainly something to behold in both reverence and terror. 


It is fortunate that all twelve would rather remain in slumber, unbothered by the conflicts around them and above. No sane creature, divine or otherwise, would ever think of encroaching upon their domain. So long as they were left alone, a Primal Lord would remain at rest. Only ever heeding the call of their Ruler, the one being they would consider their superior, they pose no threat to those who remain unaware of their existence, and by extension those who do not invoke their ire. Their long life of battles was over, they had earned their power and rest. Though the natural bloodlust of the Depth-Borne remained it had been refined. Honed to such a point that they knew better than most when to curb their hunger and when to unleash it. 


To sully the sanctity that was their blessed silence, for any reason, would not just invite ruin upon yourself, but upon the greater cosmos as well. Inciting not just their fury but the wrath of the entirety of the Depths as well, Ruler and all. 


But as things stood now, Gilah was far from considering the possible consequences, the only one which concerned her was Cathay’s anger. Already she was going against the orders of the ancient being, a former Primal themselves before taking the throne. Already a formidable power even before her ascension, Going against the Ruler of the Depths was already more foolish than provoking one of the slumbering lords. Yet in order to see her desires fulfilled, Gilah sought the ears of perhaps the only one which may listen to her plea. 


That said, Gilah was no fool. Even if recent actions put such a claim into question, she was not without precautions. She was rather young, yes, somewhere between an adult and an alpha of the species. Keenly aware of the old tales around the twelve royals, she knew which to avoid at all cost and which might humor her for a time. However, only one possessed the capability to actually grant her the desire she sought. To be free of conflicts, of craving carnage and destruction. And even to be free of the shadow of Cathay, her oldest, and once only companion. 


It wounded her to think that, but it was true. There were no words that could do justice to the amount of love Gilah held for the Ruler. She owed them much, but felt that she could offer so little in return. Gilah was aware of what the ruler craved of her. She knew their ‘interests’, and it was something the younger leviathan could not give. Their flesh and their body, they wanted everything. Whereas the Ruler wished for the former Butcher to refine their great bloodlust and direct it more efficiently, Gilah wanted only to be rid of it. 


As far as Gilah knew, this was the only way to do it. To take away not just her bloodlust but everything which made her… her. A sacrifice of identity. To be remade in an entirely new image. It defied her nature as one that may confront the will and might of the all-powerful. 


That is, only so long as she allowed it. 


But even now, after having steeled herself for such a life altering decision, Gilah couldn't help but cast herself in doubt. Of a life lived by extreme means, this was by far her most precarious of resolutions. She has faced gods, and devils, and all that would tear at the heart of both without any sense of fear. Much like a Whelp would, only she possessed the necessary power to survive such a battle. 


Now, she shuddered at the thought of losing everything that defined who she was currently. It was not easy, sacrificing your sense of self. But it felt like the only path that remained in front of her; the only one she could walk to reach her paradise. A life with Jason. The dream of making a family with him. It was all so close now. Still it did nothing to halt her rising fear. 


Of course she conveyed none of this to the small human, who in turn sat patiently atop her shoulder, a strand of hair wrapped around his waist. He was kind, considerate, and extremely understanding, but if Jason knew what Gilah planned to sacrifice even HE would speak out against her resolve. She didn't like keeping him in the dark after having revealed so much to him. She needed to, unfortunately. At least for now. 


The leviathan was so lost in thought that she was unaware of where it was she was walking until she felt the crumble of several structures beneath her titanic feet. Glancing down, Gilah saw that she had stepped upon some ancient stone structures. Buildings small enough that, when compared to her, a single footstep was enough to blanket nearly a dozen of them. Looking around, she found that such structures weren't only seen upon the earthen floor but were also etched into the walls of the chamber, rising upward and hanging from the ceiling. They were connected by great staircases meant for those who lacked the ability to swim to such heights, allowing them access from one point to another. In a way, they decorated the land around them, the strange and odd design of their non-euclidean makeup creating nothing short of a seemingly legendary utopia. Once, this city within the Depths must have been a grand sight to behold. Now though, there wasn't a single soul in sight, and as such Gilah needn't worry about the destruction she caused. 


Surprisingly enough, cities such as this weren't unheard of in the Depths. Rare and grand, but nothing too strange to see. More often than not they were hidden away in places most Depth-Borne would not venture. Though they did not survive forever, the cities that lasted longest were always a sight to behold.


The tunnels within the Deep Wastes extended across every body of water, every celestial ocean, every sea of stars. Planets, galaxies, entire clusters of creation, the Depths expanded well into the territories of other Rulers. It was no wonder that some civilizations, those which possessed the mettle and drive to live at all costs, found some means of living in such a hostile environment. 


From the looks of it, this city had been abandoned for what may have been several millennia, either out of fear or respect of the one Gilah was searching for. She continued her stride, not caring for the ancient structures she destroyed. Call it one final indulgence of the butcher Gilah once was. Feeling the structures crumble underneath her weight, picturing who or what may have once lived there. Structures belonging to those from different lots of life. People with lives, families, lovers. All easily snuffed out by a simple determined march. 


It made Gilah uneasy, the fact that she could still find some enjoyment in such depraved thoughts. It was more than the curse Cathay placed upon her. More than the memories of the past. It was Gilah's nature. Buried, but still there. Instinctual. A love of carnage, as was befitting of a beast such as her. Soon, however, she hoped she wouldn't have to worry about such perversion.. 


Close now, Gilah was so very close to her destination. She could practically taste it. A new life. A better life. It was just on the horizon. 


Her determination was frighteningly apparent. So much so that Jason was quick to point it out on many occasions. He was already aware of the fact that much was on her mind. Now, seeing Gilah carelessly step on sets of buildings, empty though they were, and it was painfully clear that she was rushing things along. He wanted to speak out and say something. Anything. He wanted to Gilah and ear and listen to what was on her troubled mind. Rulers’ know, she was in dire need of it.


But Jason knew, no matter how much he tried, he was unlikely to get anything out of his titan of a girlfriend. In the year that he's known her Gilah had always been soft, sweet. She had her flaws, but then so did everyone else. She thought of herself as a beast, a monster, but if she looked beyond that and saw what Jason did, perhaps she'd realize that there was more to her than her nature dictated. A kind soul that tempered terrifying might with absolute compassion. 


Gilah's determination was fierce. Too fierce unfortunately, and anything Jason said, regardless of how true he felt his words were, was likely to fall on deaf ears. It was disheartening to say the least. 


Finally, Gilah stopped. Just on the outskirts of the ancient city which she had trod upon, above what looked to be an endless, bottomless chasm. To Gilah, when she looked down within, a powerful sense of unease washed over her. Fear so potent, so powerful, that even the legs of the Butcher shook. For Jason, the sensation was worse. Even a mind as strong and resilient as his was nearly pushed to the edge from the unbelievable, unfathomable pressure felt harassing his bone and internal organs. It took all his might to not just curl over and empty the contents of his stomach and bowls upon Gilah's shoulder. 


Gently, the leviathan raised her index finger over her dear human. She rubbed the plate of her nail upon his back in an attempt to sooth his addled mind. It did little to put his spirit at ease. What rested down there, deep within the chasm, was a whole new level of monstrousness. So much so that all Jason had seen within the Depths, save for Cathay’s own power, paled in comparison. Something that couldn’t be anything but a god, or something terrifyingly close to one.


They had arrived. Neither one needed to say anything to know that. 


Gilah wasted no time. Moving her fingernail underneath Jason's body, she scoped the human up and carried him downward, placing him upon the floor of this ancient tunnel. It wasn't often he was given the chance to stay close to the floor. Even less so when he was still submerged in the Depths waters. But the look in Gilah's eyes, that expression of worry and terror.


He couldn't be on her as she conversed with the Primal. 


Close to the floor, his feet floating inches away from the ground, Jason was only able to look up at the roaring beauty of Gilah. He often forgot just how big she truly was. So large that she shunned all but the tallest of skyscrapers mankind had to offer. And even then it was unlikely there were more than a few which could compare to, and even outdo, Gilah’s size. Truly, she was a force of nature all on her own. And now she was meant to converse with something worse. She constantly brought herself down to such a level that Jason was able to follow her. Understand her. Now though, he couldn't dream of keeping up. 


Even with her eyes so far above him, Gilah could see clearly her beloved Jason. Little more than a speck to her gargantuan size, he was still remarkable to view even when near the floor. 


"I need you to hide." She said, her shivering voice betraying the forcefully stern expression she wore. "Somewhere in the city. Don't go too far though. I'll find you when this is over."


Worry could not compare to what Jason felt. "Gilah… I don't know if-"


But he was cut off. 


"Jason, please. Listen to me." There would be nonroom for argument. No chance to have any second guesses. Everything needed to transpire perfectly. And if not that, then as close toward 'good enough' as Gilah could manage. 


"I know you're scared. I am too. But please, find someplace to hide. You can't help me with this. It's too dangerous, and your life far too precious to risk."


"So do as I say, and trust me." Gilah's expression softened. She lowered herself, kneeling in front of Jason just enough that, even though the distance was still quite vast, he could see the doubt behind her eyes. For all she was risking, even now she wasn't certain if this would work. "If anything happens I need to know that you'll be safe. Can you do that for me?"


Jason said nothing. What exactly could be said in such a situation? Instead, he nodded before swimming off into the waiting, slumbering city. From his perspective each of Gilah's footprints seemed to stretch nearly two dozen meters. He could probably hide in one of the toe prints. But he did as instructed and found shelter inside one of the buildings that hadn't been crushed, and waited for what felt like an eternity.


Certain that Jason was as safe as he could possibly be in such a situation Gilah peered over the chasm once more. An abyss that had no end in sight, even with eyes as powerful as hers. It just extended downward, further and further, towards destinations unknown. A trick against reality. Ancient magic, utilized by a former Ruler. This was, after all, a type of prison meant to keep its sole occupant in check. Deeper within, a beating could be heart. A melody of what may have been a drum coupled together with the rhythmic beating of a heart. A great many hearts, in fact, all beating out of order yet simultaneously together, creating a rich yet chaotic symphony that assaulted the sense. Not just one's hearing, but all that they utilized. Sight, scent, sensation of touch. 


The music was more than heard, it was felt upon every cell of those caught in its mad cacophony. It was enough to give the former Butcher pause, even if only for a short moment. With fists clenched, Gilah tightened her muscles and darkened her form. With strength she hadn't used for hundreds of years, Gilah slammed her arms down upon the ground. The chamber in its entirety shook violently, threatening to bring the entire city which surrounded her down. Yet it never collapses inward. Though everything seemed to suffer an earthquake surpassing those of natural design, the ancient, faltering city never fell. Not from strengths within its design, but rather due to the intervention of power unseen. Ancient might kept the kingdom  in place, maintained and allowed to keep in check that which it contained. 


From the chasm, the myriad symphony had ceased all at once. Where before there was only a chaotic tune to be heard now there was only silence. The water which surrounded Gilah grew cold, more so than what the abyss of the deep sea may offer, and almost seemed to grow suffocating. The gills that lined her neck grew tight, finding difficulty to breathe. Still, Gilah maintained her ground. She roared into the bottomless pit, a bestial bellow that echoed the entire way down. 


It wasn't long after that everything around her seemed to come undone. 


The water grew colder still and tasted of iron, the walls turned gray and seemed to breathe. The world around Gilah shifted and stirred, yet she stood strong all the same even as the cavern seemed to bend inward. The bottomless chasm tore free of its physical shackles, rising up like some disk of endless black. And as it did all things were pulled towards it. The breathing walls, the iron water. 


Melding together, creating shape and form for what once lacked it. It all turned pale, lifeless but still flowing of blood that was brought into being. A shuffling mass which grew larger and larger as moments passed, forcing Gilah backwards. She turned to face the city, momentary worry for Jason's safety taking hold of her. It was amazing. Even now, as everything fell apart around the forming Lord, the city stood tall. Whether it was made to revere the forming horror or was intended to contain it, Gilah couldn't say for certain. Either way, Jason remained safe for the time being. 


The leviathan turned back towards the forming mass, its true shape taking hold. It was towering. Truly towering, larger than life. Larger than the butcher, eclipsing her in its growing shadow and light. And it had yet to stop, easily passing thousands of meters in height before finally its form began to settle. First came the arms, long and gaunt yet exuding undeniable power. Not physical might but spiritual. Magical. Cosmic manipulation that broke physics long since established. 


Next came the torso, decrepit just like the arms, sinking into itself, offering a glimpse of possible starvation. It extended downward into a mass of tendrils that dug deeply into the rocky terrain below. They waved mindlessly, each seeming to possess control separate from the whole. Within the center of the Primal Lord's 'stomach' rest the very same chasm Gilah had peered into just minutes ago. 


From it came the final piece. The old Lord's head. Bringing clawed hands within the dark pit, the once slumbering titan pulled free a mountain's worth of pale, decaying flesh. It settled the mound atop its shoulders, letting it take hold and refine. The mass shrunk rapidly as the sound of crunching bones and squelching flesh echoed throughout the chamber and beyond, sending any lesser Depth beast away. Eyeless, two sets of horrifying human mouths formed, wrapped in strings of sinew. Their form had grown so large, so expansive, that at any moment they seemed fit to burst free from their confines. The city stood all the same, preventing such a tragedy. But the cavern did extend outward. Yet another subconscious influence brought upon by the once slumbering monstrosities power to give them much needed space. 


Instinct took over as Gilah fell to her knees. Natural subjugation, not brought upon by another's will But instead forced by deep seeded nature. Though she remained in their shadow, Gilah could not bring herself to look upon one of the twelve with her own eyes. It was a display of both respect and fear to wait until she was addressed. 


Slowly, the Lord attempted to get its bearings. It had been so long since they were last summoned. And by way of brute strength no less. There was no ritual enacted, no sacrifice as was favored by the Corpse Maker. But that was hardly an issue. 


All had come to pass in the manner that was expected. 


At first, there was difficulty in grasping even the simplest of thoughts. Cognition was returning at a less than desirable pace, but still at a speed which allowed the old lord to see who it was that summoned him. They tried to speak, their voice coming out as little more than an ear razing howl. Gilah covered her ears in reflex as Jason did, the poor human watching everything unfold as he traveled further away, moving from one building to the next. He was making his way upward, towards the hanging portion of the city so that he may see everything more clearly. 


The Lord spoke again, this time managing only something almost plausible before faltering again. "Yol…hve…ari...raaava…". There was no way Gilah was arguing that one out. It wasn't some ancient language, just poorly thought words pushed through a mouth which hasn't been used in who knows how long. It was on the third attempt where a vocal connection was finally established.


"You…have arrived…" power shone throughout the old Lord's body as it spoke, and motes of light pulled free of its skin before coming to rest at its shoulder. It was complete, awoken and aware. "Butcher of the Deep. Bleeder of the Wastes. Calamity, defiant of the omnipotent"


"Speak. I would hear your plea. Bargain. Request. "


Such pressure… such power! Even with a past as bloody as hers, Gilah couldn't help but shudder in fear. This was a force beyond nature. Might beyond reason and logic. A lord of the Depths. It was a task to even look upon them let alone speak. But if she waited too long then who knows what might be done.


"My lord, I come asking…"


"Favor" the Primal Lord answered, already aware of the young leviathan's request. 


"Or is it a demand? Removal of a gift. Or a curse? Identity. Self. Lost, yet found again. You need this, young butcher. You want this, lost warrior. To escape. Flee. Hide."


Together, the two mouths spoke in opposition of one another. Gilah was capable of stringing together what the Primal Lord was saying, even if their words seemed nonsensical at first. They were aware of her intentions long before she had even spoken. She chuckled, both in amazement and out of fear. The capabilities of one of the slumbering twelve was astonishing. 


"I could have probably said it better myself, my lord. But seeing as you're already aware, there's no need to." For a split second Gilah looked upon the old Lord's form. Though they possessed no eyes it was clear as day that they were looking down upon her, watching this young Depth-Borne with burning intrigue. 


"Always, I am aware" the Lord informed her. "Aware of all that may transpire. And what may not. Every path taken, every trail walked, I see it all. I am blind, but am known to all things.”


“Predictions. Premonitions. All paths are known to the mind of Ordegash. Sole order in the chaos of the Depths."


Gilah had heard tales of this Primal Lord. Even among its peers, they were old. Extremely old, and was once subject to the rise and fall of past rulers. Where others in the Depths wished only to sate their appetite for destruction, Ordegash displayed qualities unheard of. They favored the power of the mind. They coveted knowledge over might, and over their long life, had acquired such maddening intellect, so much power, that they could predict almost any event that may transpire with incredible accuracy. Of course, such power came at the expense of millions of worlds, thus the name Corpse Maker. 

Their power was such that Ordegash was imprisoned out of fear, at the hands of a predecessor of Cathay. Thankfully, the All-Knowing cared little for the throne. Even if they did, Gilah doubted there was a path they could walk which would lead to victory. 


"So you know why I'm here? Good." Gilah stood up, standing against the encompassing shadow of the pale titan. "You know the bargain I will offer along with its worth. Among the twelve Lords you are the only one who possesses the knowledge necessary to hide me away from the eyes of the Depths. Will you help me?"


Ordegash fell silent in contemplation. Yes indeed, they were aware of the butcher's reason for standing before them. Just one of countless possible outcomes that they foresaw in ages past. They had seen it all long before they had awoken. Gilah's past atrocities, her inner conflicts. Going against the word of one who's commands are law. They were aware of it LONG before the current tyrant of the Deep Wastes took her seat of power. And as always, they knew what lay in wait should this bargain be accepted.


"I know you, Calamity. Gilah?" The pale Lord spoke. "You, who peered into the heart of conflict. Turmoil. Disgust. You defy your nature, your purpose, and are willing to sacrifice anything to escape. Hide away. Even if it meant sacrificing yourself. Identity. To create a facade."


Ordegash loomed above, crouching forward as they looked down upon Gilah with its eyeless head. "All in the name of love. Dependence. Of one you've hidden away. You would offer your claws. Your teeth."


"Even your wonderful eyes. To cull your bloodlust for an eternity. Temporary reprieve."


Unsurprising. They knew exactly what Gilah wanted. This was good. Far less worrying than what she had initially feared. For a lord as old as Ordegash they were surprisingly approachable. There was still some notion of worry though. Understandable when faced with someone such as them. But, should things continue to progress as they are now, then there'd be little to worry about.


"HOLD UP, DID I HEAR THAT RIGHT!?"


Gilah's blood froze the moment Jason's voice rang out from up above. "Dammit…"


Looking upward, she saw that the human had taken the time offered to swim upwards towards the upper level of the sunken city. He had just about made it to a distance equal to Gilah's waist, however, when he heard the supposed bargain his titan of a lover had planned. An impressive feat of speed considering his size, yet it paled in comparison to the shock he was experiencing. 


"Gilah, what are they talking about? Your eyes? Your claws? You're not really planning on giving something like that up are you?"


Before the leviathan was even able to respond to what was asked, Ordegash's gaze fell upon the small human. To be in their presence was one thing, but to now actually have their attention upon himself? There was nothing else to say aside from the water surrounding Jason growing humiliatingly warm. Like looking upon the world and finding that it, in turn, was looking back at you. Every cell of his body, every fiber of Jason's being, felt as though it were being watched. Analyzed. Studied. 


Gilah was quick to place a hand in front of him, coming to the human's defense even if he had drawn attention towards himself and possibly brought ruin to her plan. Jason was cast in her shadow, kept from harm. But nothing, not even Gilah, could keep Ordegash's formless eyes from the loud little human. 


"Ahhhh… the small human, their purpose clear. Stability. Affection. Protection. Destruction. Of what the Depths stand for. Because of you, the butcher has walked a path less traveled upon. Fascinating. Disappointing. The Ruler would be displeased. Or already is?"


Gilah's fingers began to wrap proactively around her human in an attempt to shield him from Ordegash's influence. In time their formless gaze faded, though it was by no means thanks to Gilah's efforts. The Pale Lord ceased their study of their own accord, already well aware of how much this lesser creature meant to the former Butcher. Nothing would be gained from a battle here. They had seen it. And in viewing such a possible confrontation, Ordegash weighed Jason's life as holding value. Enough that they were in no danger. At least at their hands. 


"Calm, Gilah. Calamity. Be at peace." Ordegash urged. "I mean no harm to your other half. Your lover. Toy? Dependence. No harm will befall them. At least, not at this moment." The two mouths upon their face cracked into a semi smile. 


"Risk. Reward. Ruin. Recompense. All await you, should you continue down this path. As they await all things seeking this desire. You most of all. Will you sacrifice everything you have known? Dull your claws, lessen your senses? For a life not meant for you?"


"Will you sacrifice all that you are for the chance to live? The answer is known, but still you must say it. You must allow it."


And just like that, this was it. The moment Gilah had been waiting for. The moment she had been longing for. A chance to get away from it all. A way to step out of what was instinctual for her. Natural. It would be so easy to just give her answer. Or it would have been, had Jason stayed out of view and kept quiet. Now he was watching, waiting for her response. Though it was brief, the tone he used when he yelled out in disbelief was far from accepting of the situation presented. He couldn't fully understand everything the pale titan had said , their manner of speech irregular and strange. But what he was able to pick up on left a pit in his stomach. There was a clear price to be paid. On greater than he could have imagined. No matter how badly he wished to be silent he couldn't. 


Jason swam over to Gilah's hand, placing his own against her palm. She felt his touch and brought her fingers closer together, envisioning that the two of them were of comparable sizes, standing besides one another hand in hand. It was a wonderfully grand illusion, fragile in nature as when next Jason spoke Gilah was reminded of the vast difference between the two of them. She turned to face him, looking down at his feeble, insignificant, speck like form. It was too much. 


She was too much. 


"Gilah, please listen to me." Jason pleaded. As she pulled her hand away he refused to leave its side, remaining as close as he could in this trying time. "Whatever you're thinking, you can't go through with it. I'm not sure if what that thing said was meant to be literal, metaphorical, or something else but you can't give up on who you are!"


"Gilah you are wonderful, regardless of what you may think. You asked me if you were a monster, and maybe that was true once. But that's in the past. For the year we've known each other you've only shown me kindness and care. You are gentle, and sweet… and…"


The words came out one after the other, at times losing traction, other times picking up speed. But not once did they stop. Not until Jason looked up beyond Gilah's hand and towards her eyes. The very same ones that caused pain upon the pier he used to frequent as a child. The very same eyes which had likely caused similar pain to countless others. Some would look upon them and fall into despair or madness, calling Gilah a beast. But not Jason. He could never view her as such. 


She looked upon him, her accursed eyes wide with surprise. Who knew that, even when standing before her and a Primal Lord, could something so small act so brave. A shining knight of whom she was glad to have met. She could feel the corners of her mouth inch up slightly, curling into a smile. 


He was her hope. Her mate. Her beloved Jason. 


"Gilah, there has to be another way. Anything! Just not this. Please, don't sacrifice who you are. Don't run away. You can do better than that. You can be better than that."


Gilah was glad. So very happy to see such  love for her. It was wonderful, and moving. To all but the titan behind the two of them, still waiting for an answer they had long since foreseen. At the very least they were patient. Though their contempt wasn't eternal, and Gilah knew it would eventually wane. After seeing her partner's reluctance over this bargain of hers though, she was beginning to have second thoughts again. She could steel herself against many things, but Jason's voice was not one of them. 


Thankfully, his words did reach her. With her beloved human in hand she turned towards Ordegash once more, now even more determined than she was prior. 


"My lord, I would ask a favor." 


Pushing against the floor below her, Gilah's lower half quickly shifted from human legs to the form of her tail. She swam upwards until she was exactly opposite of Ordegash's head. She was so small compared to them, and Jason even more so. When together, however, both were able to meet the sightless gaze of Ordegash without an ounce of fear. 


"Tell me about the paths I am capable of walking."


****


Through a trail of destruction, a trillion deaths upon a dozen worlds, the tyrant of the Depths had only now reached the conclusion of her time away from her duties. A brief break away from her tasks as a Ruler to enjoy the basic pleasures common amongst her kind. Death and destruction, anarchy and madness, all brought upon by her simple presence. Upon the ruins of her latest, and final, razed planet, a wave of euphoria and clarity washed over her. This felt good.


It felt right. 


To have billions cower before her, and trillions more waiting away in the far reaches of space fearing her. Fearing the possibility that her gaze may turn towards their worlds. Just the idea was tantalizing, and deep down Cathay almost wished to continue her cosmic rampage. Laying with her back upon the remains of some advanced, no-name, metaphysical civilization, she was subject to the wonderful chorus of the population's manic screams. Creatures so advanced in their understanding of science that they remained undaunted by the possibility of a rival power. Cathay's coming, though brief, woke them up to their true place in the tapestry of creation. 


Cowering, or praying, beneath her globally encompassing body. Their cities, crushed beneath her mountainous toes, or were devoured and drowned in oceans of her spit. It was all too wonderful an experience, and Cathay wished that the species had bred more and advanced to create a stronger civilization, if only to offer her greater enjoyment. 


Perhaps even pleasure. 


More than a few of their cities had been used in just such a manner, after all. To deliver unto the tyrant a more…carnal relief. Cathay was inexperienced, at first, with a few cities crumbling away at the slightest touch of her sky expanding intimacy. It had been ages since she had a partner, and as such was a tad bit rusty. That said, Cathay was a remarkably fast learner. A few floods here, an unfortunate earthquake there, and she was gyrating her hips with stunning composure and care. Of course, the fragility of the species proved an issue, but at the minor expense of some of her power, no more than the energy used in a simple blink, Cathay was able to offer some means of withstanding her acts of arousal. Even now, she could feel the desperate struggles of thousands within her. 


Shoving some lesser settlements within her womanhood was more an experiment than anything else. One she was glad to have decided on. Within her, millions were coated in her juices, or adhered to the fleshy walls of her most intimate of parts, their flesh intermingling with hers for however long they may continue to survive. Amidst the incomprehensible debris of their once glorious civilization they were kept only alive by her grace. Her mercy. Expanding her size just a tad bit over what was natural she had practically become a secondary planet to the populace. An entire ecosystem of her own. 


Such fun. 


That being said, while all of this was still a lovely experience, Cathay couldn't help but feel as though something was missing. Or rather, someone. Destruction was all well and good. A pleasure she always enjoyed taking part in. It was to be expected, after all, for one such as her. But no matter how much she destroyed, no matter what she razed in fire and insanity, could do away with the ever growing sense of solitude. For all Cathay's power, no matter the amount of fear which came at the utterance of her name, she was alone. In the way of companions, she had only Gilah. And when looking towards romance she had no one. Her one desire had chosen another, a human, an ape. And that alone was cause for some of the Tyrant's greatest headaches and concerns. 


As wings sprouted from Cathay's back, covering her body in their embrace, she turned to her side, uncaring for any caught underneath. Clouds parted and disappeared. The planet's crust cracked underneath her weight, the fortitude she had granted it waning as Cathay’s mind slipped momentarily, her focus on other matters. 


She had taken the necessary precautions. She forbade Jason and Gilah from returning to the surface, even going as far as to place a curse upon the former, forcing them to relive some of their greatest failures in the form of nightmares. But was it not enough?


Or perhaps the inverse. Was it all too much? Gilah had always been a wildcard within the Depths. That was just who they were. Orders. Demands. They only stalled the inevitable with them. Should the former butcher decide on a matter then there was little in the cosmos that proved capable of dissuading her. Cathay always admired that trait of theirs, and in some ways was envious of it. Though contested only by a few in terms of power, so few that she could count the number on a single hand, the Ruler of the Depths possessed so many restrictions. So much, in fact, that her recent relief of stress was liable to earn the wandering eyes of her peers. So much unlike Gilah, who could act without any true consequence as even a Ruler's power could not afflict her, unless she allowed it. That made dealing with the younger leviathan a stressful, though never dull, task. And the more Cathay pushed against her ancient companion the more likely she was to push back. 


This constant back and forth conflict was something Cathay certainly wished to avoid. Not out of fear of battle, but more out of worry of losing a dear friend. 


Though it came at the cost of several worlds, the Ruler of the Depths has had ample time to think. "Perhaps I was too harsh on the two of them…" the punishments she delivered onto Jason and Gilah felt deserved at the time, but now, as with everything, the moment had passed. Their behavior has been decent, and they've kept up with her demands. Well, to an extent anyway. Looking at her fingers, her nails topped with a fresh coat of black paint thanks to Jason’s efforts in his punishment, she noted the human could have done better. That said,  Perhaps, just this once, mercy would be shown. Though a monster to a great many others, to those she actually cared for, Cathay could certainly show compassion. 


Standing upright, the Tyrant of the Deep Wastes was just about ready to wrap up her day. Kicking her soles clean of any lingering remains, be they bodies or cities, she fully considered showing some form of leniency towards Gilah and her little 'lover'. Cathay supposed they've paid enough of what was due. 


"Don't let it be said that I can't be nice." 


Spreading her wings further, Cathay nearly departed, until something quickly caught her attention. A strange melody. Slow at first, quiet, before rising in intensity. Like an odd cacophony of… drums? 


And hearts… 


The Ruler's eyes grew wide, as the realization dawned on her. Her mind expanded beyond the confines of her flesh as her vision grew dim. Images flashed before her, one of a battle between Whelps, where one was torn to shreds while another was forced to flee while in the company of a superior. An Adult Depth-Born. Another flash brought to focus an ancient city within the many tunnels of the Depths. Long since abandoned, it had remained untouched. Timeless. Now portions of it have been destroyed. Stepped on it would seem.


The last image came as no surprise then, after seeing the second. A great wall of pale and decayed flesh, possessing two mouths that spoke in opposition of one another while also speaking of possible futures. A mad titan. A primal lord.


"Ordegash?" One of the more 'docile' of the twelve. Older than her, and insane even by the standards of its peers. Yet they were fiercely intelligent, possessing uncanny knowledge over events that have yet to pass. Cathay never bothered with them. They were harmless so long as they remained undisturbed. So, to see them now, awake and fully formed was unsettling. 


An omen. 


"They should still be sleeping. Slumbering unless summoned…"


But who in their right mind would summon them? Even those beyond Cathay's domain knew better than to deal with the splintered mind of Ordegash. But no matter how hard she tried, Cathay could not see who it was that spoke with the pale lord. Even if they could see the once slumbering titan with absolute clarity, whatever had stood before them was…nothing. Empty space, though it was clear someone stood there. 


As though whatever held dealings with the pale lord was free from worry of Cathay's power, and thus her sight. 


"No…" Cathay grit her teeth in growing rage, any compassion she held before vanishing like dew on red hot iron. "They wouldn't… SHE wouldn't dare!"


All around her, cracks formed. High above, where the heavens touched the void of space. Splinters of reality, shards like those of fragile glass when faced with the rage of a ruler. They burned away as above Cathay, a breach into the Depths manifested. One of her own design, free of the shackles of requiring what one might consider an ocean or sea. 


All that she saw pointed towards one indisputable fact. But Cathay wished to confirm such suspicions before acting on her rising anger. She wanted to see if things were as they appeared. 


She searched further within Ordegash's chamber, looking throughout the ancient city that bordered their prison. She searched through each little building carefully, taking in every minor detail, covering entire sections in minutes. She scanned the floor, the walls, the ceiling. Everything. Until at last she saw him. 


Adrift. Floating. Looking up towards the pale lord and the space of 'nothing'.


"Jason" 


That was all Cathay needed to hear. Her rage was such that it extended to not just the planet she stood on, but the solar system as whole. Any who carried within them even a small amount of intellect was thrown into a blind frenzy, turning upon their own with savage intent. Though her actions were rage induced, Cathay did not care for the new chaos she wrought. Her anger was instead directed towards two others.


"GILAH! JASON!" With a single beat of her wings Cathay threw herself off of the planet's surface with such destructive force that not only was the globe annihilated in its entirety, but the resulting shockwave of the Ruler's departure obliterated the system as well. 


"YOU'RE DEAD!!!"


The destructive power continued to carry onward, annihilating star after star, one solar system after another, until the whole of that galaxy… was gone. 


There was no limit to the Tyrant's anger, and certainly no mercy for any who would stand in her way. 

Chapter End Notes:

Took some time to write this one. Laptop went through repairs so made this extra long as compensation. You know the rules, be sure to leave a rating and review if you enjoyed. And check out the other writers of Eldritch Sweethearts. They're all awesome.