- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

There's something to be said about taking risks. Especially when those risks are for a cause you very much believe in. But just make sure you outweigh if the risks are really worth the reward in the end. 


-Chapter was updated recently after rereading it. Some errors have been fixed. Any point outs would be appreciated-

Falling into a drunken stupor was quickly becoming one of Valerie’s most frequently abused pass times. While it had opened up many doors to one-night stands in the past, now it was becoming a dreadful reminder of just how poor of a state she was in. It used to be that everything was laid out in the open when she drank with a cute fling. Lies and secrets kept from one another’s ears were spoken with such assurance that they couldn’t be anything but the truth. And, if she was lucky, then Valerie would be able to sweep some gorgeous woman to bed that night. That’s how it had been for years, ever since she was certain she didn’t need to look after her brothers anymore. To live her life to the fullest now that she wasn’t burdened with being the family’s main breadwinner.

 

Was it crude to sleep with one woman after another, never searching for a lasting relationship? Of course it was, she was very aware of that. Valerie knew she was no saint and always made sure to inform her ‘partners’ of such. She wasn’t looking for a relationship. She wasn’t looking for love. Anything that could’ve been had run its course long ago. Valerie didn’t have time for those sorts of distractions anymore. Now more than anything, matters which she could have never imagined had fallen upon her shoulders. But before she could be content with that, she needed to battle the pounding headache ailing her. A headache she refused to nurse as she ordered herself yet another drink.

 

Unsurprisingly, the bartender on duty wasn’t all too pleased with the former fisherwoman’s non-stop drinking. He took whatever empty glasses were by her side, cleaning them off and intentionally ignoring her request. When Valerie caught on, she stared daggers into the barkeep. “Another. Drink.” She demanded before burying her face in her arms, exhausted but unwilling to stop. “And make it strong this time Adrian. I still feel sober.”

 

Adrian knew it was his job to serve drinks, but thanks to his impressive size he also knew that he was the one the other employees relied on when customers grew too rowdy. And on most occasions, he would. He towered over most people and often that was enough to grant even the most drunken of minds a moment of sobriety to weigh if their antics were really worth a black eye and a broken nose.

 

Valerie on the other hand was another story. Adrian had known her for years. For a time, the two were even a couple before Valerie’s tastes grew to be too much. No animosity or ill will was housed between the two of them, however. That said if there was one person Adrian knew whose ire should not be tested it would be Valerie’s.

 

“Val, don’t you think it’s time you head home?” the bartender recommended. Even the slight recommendation was enough to make him wary, as at any moment he felt as though his years-long friend could just reach out and yank at his braids. It wouldn’t be the first time she’s done something so juvenile. But, given her recent hardships, he was willing to look past that. “Look, do you still keep a spare key under your doormat? I can drive you home if you want?”

 

Once again, Valerie would hear none of it. “No… you don’t need to.” Looking around it was becoming clear that she was gaining quite an audience of onlookers. Some among the ground were a few women that certainly seemed the type she’d take home. But at the moment, her only concern was in regard to her youngest brother’s safety. “Was just about to head out anyway.”

 

Clenching her fist, Valerie pushed herself off of her seat. A few footsteps in and it was abundantly clear that her walk home would not be an easy one. At the very least, her inebriated state meant that she wouldn’t need a jacket on a night like this. A good thing too as she had forgotten one, her mind being far from reliable these past few months. Simple tasks were forgotten, work duties were ignored, and at times she’d even forget to eat. Every minute of every hour of every day was devoted to the mystery that was her brother’s disappearance. And just as she did every night, she’d head home to pour over what she hoped was beneficial research into the matter.

 

Looking at the poor state of the woman, Adrian knew Valerie would get no sound sleep tonight, just as it had avoided seemingly every night for a full year. No advice he could give seemed to be of aid, yet regardless of whether it was heeded or not he gave it all the same.

 

“You know if he was here he wouldn’t want you to go on like this, right?” the bartender questioned, knowing full well what sort of response to expect. Valerie turned to face him, her green eyes narrowing as frustration took hold.

 

 A look that was well known among the bars of the city, enough to chill even the toughest of individuals’ blood. “Go fuck yourself, Addy. I’m not stopping until I find Jason.”

 

Valerie slammed the door of the bar as she left, leaving patrons stunned and Adrian shaking his head. This wasn’t the first time she’s left while in such a mood, and unless she accepted what happened to her brother it wouldn’t be the last. He was worried for her. Her constant searching was becoming an obsession. Worst still, this obsession was taking a turn for the strange as, to the disbelief of many, the fisherwoman had sprouted nonsense of monsters and deep-sea terrors. Creatures only existing in fiction; the far end of the genre at that. Just like her brother had prior to his disappearance. Just as their father had prior to his death. Now the same kind of madness was afflicting her, and Adrian knew no way in which he could help her. He was perhaps the last real friend she had, the rest having moved on with their lives or burning their bridges with Valerie years ago.

 

He’d offer her a prayer, maybe even give her other brother a call to see if he knew anything that could help. But beyond that, Valerie was on her own. Not by any choice of Adrian’s but by Valerie’s actions alone.

 

Outside, Valerie had managed to walk a fair distance away from the bar before being forced to steady herself against a wall, shrinking against it as she came to regret how she had departed. It wasn’t within her rights to tear into Adrian in such a manner, he was only trying to help. But he couldn’t understand what she did. He could know what she knew. No one could. She wasn’t even sure if she could speak with Danny, the second eldest of the Armitage siblings. He knew of their father’s old rants and mad talks, as well as the strange sightings of their brother Jason, had experienced. Both were chalked up to a deteriorating mental fortitude, though in the case of their youngest brother he managed to remain sane and sound whereas their father was not as fortunate in his waning days.

 

But, like Adrian, Danny believed that Jason had disappeared, likely in search of the ‘great beauty’ he’d claimed to see at sea. For a time, Valerie believed that as well, dreading but accepting the fact that he might have gotten himself killed at sea. A harsh and cruel thing to admit, but it was the closest thing she had to closure. Now, things have changed. Ever since the incident on the pier.

 

It was old, having withstood the march of time and surviving into the Armitage siblings’ adult years, outlasting their father. It was a place of fond memories, joyous rides, and best of all funnel cake. Oh, what Valerie wouldn’t give for a sweet treat, if only to revisit older memories, back when things made sense. Now, the pier was closed, and its amusement park was under investigation. Over five dozen people are gone. Vanished without so much as a trace. All save for her, the sole ‘survivor’ of a mass disappearance.

 

There were speculations and theories. Some blamed the government, believing the disappearances to be a cover-up for some new secret-grade weapon. Others assumed aliens were involved. God damn extraterrestrials. Though Valerie supposed the latter made more sense, now knowing what she knew. But it wasn’t what lay beyond the stars that carried the blame. Rather, it was the horrors that rested beneath the waves of the sea.

 

She saw, for only a moment, as time seemed to skip forward and a great serpentine tail vanished beneath the waves. One moment she was surrounded by screaming individuals, in pain or in reverence, and tearing out their eyes as something burned at them from within. The next, nothing, as some monstrosity vanished and stole them into the unknown. A creature so large that it defied all reason. But, it was alive. Valerie knew what she saw. She knew what Jason saw.

 

He wasn’t out of his mind when he spoke of a deep-sea beauty. Or maybe he was. Maybe they both were insane, for knowing more than most did.

 

“Fuck…” once more, the weight of Valerie’s task was felt upon her shoulders. The impossibility that was her brother’s rescue. But still, she had to do... something. Valerie pulled at her auburn hair, already having torn chunks from its once shoulder length. Now it barely passed her cheekbones, requiring constant aid now thanks to ever-increasing stress.

 

She’s searched endlessly for any kind of leads which may aid her in her search. She’s checked online for any sort of documents that may align with the sightings she was looking for. Ordered and read through any books that may bear some fruit in her research, and while she’s learned a few things it never came close to the whole truth. That was, until she came across the writings of a group of ‘professors’ somewhere on the deep web.

 

Risks and rumors aside, the idea of using the deeper parts of the internet to get some damn answer wasn’t her first idea. But where every other route seemed a dead end this risk paid off. These professors, ‘Scholars of the Unseen’ as they preferred to be called can only be classified as a group of kooks. Not a single one could be considered sane, even in their texted speeches over the cosmos, the oceans, or aught else. But between their constant ramblings, Valerie saw the truth in their words.

 

Some of which mirrored her father’s.

 

Like her, they’ve been searching for answers too, though for wildly different reasons. One sought to exchange the ‘wealth of knowledge mankind possessed in an effort to gain some horror’s favor. Another wanted to find and tame some beast for reason better less spoken of. Another, and the oddest of all by a far margin, wanted to… date one. Valerie made sure to skim over anything they said in regard to that but beyond anything, they gave her exactly what she had been looking for.

 

Notes, research, bestiaries of creatures so absurd yet so magnificent that there should be no reason as to why they existed at all. But they did! And they were out there! In the Pacific, a pair of leviathans that resembled axolotls were the subject of many an old legend. One case revolves around a sailor who, in an act of kindness, earned the favor of the smaller of the two creatures. In the Atlantic, there was yet another, though less known, tale of a gargantuan she-ray that was nearly a thousand meters long!

 

Strangely enough, the vast majority of these creatures carried a human visage, almost always in the form of a female. Again, Valerie didn’t think too much about that aspect.

 

The fall of the once thought fictional city of Atlantis, the tales of ancient monsters in that could raze mountains and summon storms? All true! And while grand legends each, those seemingly paled in comparison to what Valerie saw when reading more. It brought a cold sweat to her brow when thinking about it even now.

 

Among the scholar’s conversations, there was a term continuously brought up the more they mused on these ancient sea beasts. Below even the deepest point of the ocean, expanding further and further beyond what is within the realm of possibility… reality. Extending everywhere, beyond just the seas of the earth. Invading the stars, the void of space, as well as whatever may rest beyond.

 

The Depths.

 

Where monstrosities of such size and power dwelled, battling one another with such ferocity, such malice, that it was a miracle anything survived where they trod. When not battling one another, these beasts turned their eyes toward worlds, galaxies, and entire star systems with the intent of making them bleed. They lived for destruction and carnage. Whereas other entities brought destruction with a purpose behind their actions, and at times could be seen as benevolent, these ‘Depth-Borne’ only cared for battle and would destroy anything if it meant they’d get a worthwhile fight as a result.

 

“No matter how dear your brother is to you, avoid the beasts of the Depths,” The insane scholars messaged. At no point did Valerie ever recall telling them of her intentions. “He is lost to you; dragged beneath the bedrock we see as reality. Live your life in ignorance, free from those who devour the stars and the divines that maintain them. Drift in an oblivious ocean that grants mercy in concealing you from the reach of the Tyrant of the Wastes. The Domain of the Ruler of the Depths is not meant for man, or devil, or god.”

 

They stopped messaging after that, and not long after did Valerie lose electricity in her home. In no minor way were those events meant to be a coincidence, and deep down she held the feeling that she should heed the scholar’s warnings. But here, sitting in the cold, her eyes open to the existence of creatures and powers that mankind had been unaware of, she refused to turn away. Even if meant she was seen as a kook herself, Valerie would be damned if some old farts were going to stop her in her effort to find some answers to what happened to her little brother.

 

The Depths, that’s where he had to be. Trapped, probably by some cruel and horrible to witness beast. Jason must be terrified, fending for himself at every possible moment. She hoped he was alive and prayed to any god that may hear her. Apparently, there was far more than she ever gave credit to pray to. One just had to hear her at some point, right?

 

Valerie just needed to wait. For a chance to do… something! She clenched her fist as she pushed herself up into a standing position, making her way to the pier once more where she had been staying and conducting all manner of research to aid in her efforts. The bite of the cold air didn’t bother her. Not when there was a much deeper pain she had to contend with.

 

No one, not even all-powerful horrors, messes with her family. “Just wait, Jason. I’ll find a way to get you back.”

 

“I promise”

 

She only hoped that he was safe.

 

***

 

Though as it were, safety was the absolute furthest thing Jason was from currently. Holding onto a strand of Gilah’s hair for dear life, the small and fragile human was forced to stand by as he watched the titaness battle against a denizen of the Depths. A Depth-Borne beast, as large as Gilah was nearly a match in strength. It was slower though, taking more time to swing its arms and claws. But every hit that did connect wasn’t only felt in the giantess’s bones, but in the surrounding cavern, the two did battle in. Each time their might was tested, a shockwave was sent forth, shaking the cavern, traveling deeper into the tunnels of the Depths, and quite possibly signaling more monstrosities of the battle occurring.

 

Gilah was forced into a defensive, shielding her body with her arms as she kept Jason from danger. She couldn’t fight back, and the Depth-Borne knew this. Though it was a mere whelp, larger than others though it were, it possessed keen knowledge of where the Former Butcher’s ideals lay. Near all within the Deep Wastes knew of the human and leviathan’s relationship, some even thinking to exploit it for the chance at possibly triumphing a legend as powerful as Gilah. Few, however, ever really attempted to do so, knowing well her strength.

 

Whelps, this one specifically, was another story as it were. The youngest and most volatile of the ranks of the Depths, Whelps only listened to those they deemed as mightier, and even then their loyalty was shaky. Even Cathay, as cosmically feared as she is, often had her orders ignored by these younglings. The one Gilah fought currently was one that had gone against its superiors time and time again, always seeking a stronger foe, always moving towards its next fight. To battle and triumph meant survival in the Depths, and the stronger the foe beaten the stronger one proves themselves to be.

 

Its body and temperament were like that of a bull, broad and stocky, charging forward regardless of the power of its opponent. Two horns that curved downward, fit for goring meat and battering bone. And organic armor upon its body meant that it could take whatever punishment Gilah could dish out in her limited station. Lines across the Whelps body glowed green, bioluminescence, as it crouched down upon all fours, preparing itself.

 

“Gilah, I think you should move!” Jason gripped the strand of hair tighter, wrapping it around himself a few more times as he remained upon the leviathan’s shoulder. The giantess on the other hand stood her ground, digging her feet into the solid ground, planting herself firmly as she prepared herself.

 

“I got this…” she was focused, narrowing her vision upon her foe. They were strong, intelligent enough to attack her when her guard was down and knew better than to let up on the offensive. Leave it to the Depths to nurture a fighter such as this. It might even be victorious were it anyone else in Gilah’s metaphorical shoes. But this wasn’t her first fight, and she’d be damned if it was going to be her last.

 

The Whelp charged forward, tearing into rock and stone as it bared its horns downward, ready to gore Gilah as she remained stationary, poised to meet the opposing force head-on. When finally it was within an acceptable distance, the titaness turned to her right, spinning on her heel as she just narrowly avoids the Whelp’s horns apart from a minor graze on her side. Due to its size and build, the opposing leviathan isn’t able to turn in time to continue its advance, instead being met with a powerful fist to the side of its face that cuts through one horn and loosens its lower jaw.

 

With a crack, the Whelp falls onto the floor, skidding and tearing into the terrain until it comes to a complete stop. Gilah doesn’t take the moment to breathe, however. She pulls free the piece of hair that Jason was attached to, carrying him up toward her face. “I need you to stay hidden for now. Just try and be quiet while I fight, okay?”  No argument was needed. Jason understood that this was just a common occurrence here.

 

With as much strength as she needed, Gilah punched a hole deep within the cavern walls before placing her beloved within, intent on keeping him from harm’s way. And just in time as, the moment she spun around, the Whelp had already gotten back up onto its feet. Had Gilah not turned to face it, she would have had her midsection skewered by its one remaining horn. Thankfully, she was able to catch the attack with one hand, while keeping the behemoth at bay with another.

 

Even lacking the ability to bite down anymore didn’t impede the Depth-Borne beast. Rather, it seemed to invoke a deeper fire within it. Whelps NEVER back down from a fight. They could lose whole limbs and still, they’d get back up in an effort to fight. The only way to stop one from fighting was to put it down, and unfortunately, Gilah was disinclined to take its life. Up until now, she had only killed for food, and even then she was sparingly in what it was she hunted down. But this beast wasn’t leaving her with many in the way of choices.

 

Thankfully, she wouldn’t need to take such drastic measures. She just needed to hold off for some time until aid arrived. Well, not an aid for her, but any sort of assistance, even the kind that may turn against her, was appreciated. These caverns, tunnels created in the deep that allowed for travel across the cosmos, carried all that occurred. That included battles between leviathans. It wasn’t long until both Gilah and the Whelp became aware of the presence of two others.

 

The opposing titan tore itself free of Gilah’s hold just in time as another, equally massive leviathan, burst free from the cavern’s shadows, tackling the weaker of the two Depth-Borne and forcing it onto the ground, ripping its flesh as the Whelp, in turn, tore into its adversary’s. But like before, this new challenger was large and bulky, heavily built and equaling Gilah in size. Much of its physical features resembled those of the one it was tearing into, save for a long and sharp blade-like snout that tore into the opposing Whelp with terrifying effectiveness. It wasn’t long before the struggle ceased as this new beast quickly won out over its already weakened foe. Despite facing a new threat it wasn’t a source of concern for Gilah.

 

That sort of attention went to the second arrival. Yet another leviathan, only this time they stood above the previous arrivals, to a point where they only seemed capable of matching their shoulders. Feminine in shape, pale white with portions of armor that protected vulnerable spots. Red hair flowed like fire, surging around their body, and working against the current that allowed for travel in the Depths. Upon their back, an array of tentacles, twelve in total with two tipped with lethal stingers.

 

The arrival said nothing. Instead, blood-red eyes fell upon Gilah. It happened in an instant, with such speed that anything lesser would have fallen victim to the sudden onslaught, as two tendrils launched forward with such force that the water surrounding their tips heated on collision. Gilah tilted her head slightly to the left, a tentacle narrowly missing her cheekbone. The heat hardly concerned her, as did the strike of a tendril upon her leg and midriff. She latched onto both tightly, the muscles in her arms tensing up, defining, as she pulled the appendages free from her fierce opponent’s body.

 

Gilah turned just as the behemoth from before lurched forward from behind, its bladed nose only cutting into the surface of her right arm. Before Gilah could retaliate, the behemoth reared its head upward, cutting just beside the giantess’s chest and into the cloth she used as clothing. Only a minor cut as, before it could attack again, the more experienced warrior grabbed a hold of the behemoth’s nose, digging her nails deeply into its natural armor before ripping the whole thing clean off. Not a wound that’ll kill the beast, given how large and sturdy it was, but certainly something that’ll determine its survival in future skirmishes.

 

The behemoth staggered backward in pain and stock. It seemed ready to engage again, the drive to fight outweighing any pain it felt. Its hand was stayed, however, as more tendrils from its ‘companion’ darted past it and towards the legendary butcher. With blade still in hand, Gilah cut into two tentacles before biting into the third and ripping off its stinger. Hidden among the others, it was the rival titaness’s hope to hide her attack among numbers, seeking to gain a cheap shot over Gilah. Instead, it was outplayed and pulled in further as the former butcher grabbed a hold of one of the retreating tendrils and tugged with all her might.

 

The larger leviathan was forced forward, falling face first into the ground as it was dragged towards Gilah, her fist raised high. Their behemoth companion moved with as much speed as it could muster, trying to rush to its aid. But in between its wounds and the ever-increasing blue blood which surrounded and obscured its vision, it couldn’t manage much.

 

Already at Gilah’s feet, the pale leviathan lashed out one final time, her remaining stinger finding purchase in the legend’s midsection. They smiled in delight, believing they had won out. But when they saw the butcher’s emotionless expression they quickly realized their folly. Gilah’s body tensed, the muscles beneath her skin tightening to such a point that the tip of the stinger broke off easily as a result.

 

The pale leviathan released a roar of frustration and anger as Gilah brought her fist down… intentionally missing their head by a few inches. Her fist dug deep into the stone until her elbow was just below the surface. She lowered herself until her eyes were the only thing her foe could see. She gave one command, only one, for the beasts to obey. Otherwise, she wouldn’t hold herself back further should they wish to press on.

 

“Leave”

 

Gilah bared her sharp teeth and snarled. The only sign needed to showcase that her two challengers were well over their heads. The warning was more than heeded, as the pale leviathan rose to her feet and quickly dashed away, her companion following their lead. Gilah rose up, unbothered by whatever wounds she had sustained. Anything she had now was easily outshined by previous skirmishes. These were scratches at best. She sighed in relief, thankful that her gamble partially worked. Things could have gone MUCH worse had more decided to show up. Two Whelps along with a fully matured Depth-Borne. Nothing she wasn’t capable of handling.

Now an Ancient Depth-Borne may have been another story. Might have been too much, even for her if she continued to fight as passively as she did now. Instead, she managed to spare two with only one causality. And it wasn’t even by her hand that a death had occurred.

 

All in all, she’d consider that a victory. But her quest was far from over. All this was just a minor interruption on the trail toward her destination. Gilah made her way to the cavern walls, crouching down before the hole she had made for Jason. Peering inside she was pleased to find that he had made the smart choice of waiting at the very back, keeping as far away from the conflict. No doubt he heard everything though. Gilah was relieved that the stone which comprised these tunnels was made to endure such battles, allowing for his little hidey hole to remain with the fear of a cave-in. 

 

“It’s safe to come out now.” The titaness reassured. Had more Depth beasts decided to join in the fight then they would have done so for now. “The worse has passed. It’s safe.”

 

Making his way to the entrance, Jason was left awe-struck by the corpse of the first whelp, their body torn apart by their attacker. He knew Gilah had no hand to play in that, but still to see that she could survive against beasts capable of inflicting such devastation never failed to inspire awe within him. These things were akin to living gods, larger than anything had any right to be. Just one would be devastating to the worlds the Depths connected to. Though he had his reservations about Cathay’s attitude at times, he could deny that the Ruler did well in ensuring the creatures here did not leave their domain frequently.

 

Extending the nail of her finger forward, Gilah waited patiently for Jason to walk atop it so that they may continue. And he was just about to until the pair heard a loud rip which drew their attention. Gilah’s eyes darted downward, toward the cloth which covered her chest, exactly where the knife-nosed behemoth had cut. The makeshift clothing tore away, as Gilah and Jason stared wide-eyed, motionless while the cloth floated away in the current. Jason took a step back as Gilah’s face grew red.

 

“That’s… really unfortunate. She tried to compose herself and maintain some form of decency, but that was rather hard to do when your little lover was staring at your indecency. And while this wasn’t the first time Jason had seen her in a compromising position, Gilah couldn’t help but wish for a more secure location in which they could take full advantage of this happy little accident.

 

The little human was left speechless, staring up at his lover’s gargantuan breasts as they swayed side to side in a rather hypnotic manner. Gilah was desperately looking for something to cover herself with, unknowingly giving Jason a show as she did. Her eyes fell to the severed tendrils upon the floor, belonging to the pale leviathan but now able to serve another purpose. They were better than nothing, though working with scraps was far from ideal.

 

Retrieving Jason, she placed the still-ogling human upon her shoulder once more, confident that his safety was assured. She sat cross-legged, picking up one severed appendage before carefully peeling away at its skin with her nails. Over the course of weeks, she could rearrange stars. Gilah could cast a spell that would place others to sleep or manipulate the strength of her muscle and skin. But something like this, something that requires a delicate touch, would require focus.

 

“What are you doing?” Jason questioned, curious as to what sort of new power Gilah might display.

 

She chuckled. “I’m sewing.” She informed him. “I’m sure mankind knows that that is.”

 

Carefully removing a layer of skin from the tentacle, Gilah went to work peeling apart the muscle that rested underneath. It was warm, as if it were still alive, even twitching when she stripped the muscle threads. “The muscle fibers of Depth-Borne are so strong that only another Depth beast would be able to tear them. For those who care about their appearance, that makes them ideal for making clothes.”

 

Admittedly, she’d have to skip over the process of traditional clothes making, as she didn’t quite have the time or material for that. She’d have to employ some magic to get something halfway decent. No big issue, Cathay taught her the ropes of that. But manipulation of the matter was more their specialty than it was Gilah’s, so she couldn’t just make something to wear with a snap of her fingers. She’d have to manipulate each point individually, piece by piece, and by hand until she got the desired result.

 

“It’s a shame. That cover had lasted for a few centuries.” Gilah explained. “Pity to see it go but at least it gives me a reason to wear something else for once.” Gilah couldn’t even recall when last she had an opportunity to display some creativity in her attire. It’s never had a major draw for her but now, why not? If she were to go through with returning to the surface she may as well find a hobby.

 

Jason sat in silence, for as long as Gilah went to work. Eventually, curiosity got the better of him. “Where exactly are we heading?” he asked. Up until now, he only knew what Gilah had told him. And what Gilah had told him had been very little. Next to nothing as it were. Only that few dared travel where they were going.

 

“It’s an old portion of the Depths.” Gilah answered, seeing no reason now why she should hide anything. If she was going to see this through then she may as well walk the distance with her the one she had chosen to love. “Almost as old as Cathy, dating back to a time well before she was a Ruler. Home to a very old and very powerful being that had been imprisoned in the Depths by one of Cath’s predecessors.”

 

“Another prison?” Jason had kind of hoped Gilah’s would be the only one he needed to visit. “Didn’t think there’d be a lot more, considering violence isn’t something out of the ordinary here. You, I can see why you were chained. You imposed that on yourself after all. But what did this… thing do to warrant being locked away?"

 

“'Locked' is a bit too harsh a word.” Gilah corrected. She accidentally knicks a string of meat, cursing under her breath before repeating the process. Her attention was divided, though talking helps to take her mind off of the frustration that is sewing. “Think... House arrest. There are powerful beings in the Depths. Some as old as Cath, some older. The one we're looking for is of the former. They go by several names. Corpse Maker, Malformed Dealer, Bane of the Void. Creepy sonofabitch, but that’s more Cathay’s nickname for him.”

 

Jason’s blood ran cold. “And… we’re meant to FIND this thing?”

 

Gilah chuckled. “Is that fear in your voice? After all your time living through what would drive others mad?”

 

“Well can you blame me?” Now that he was hearing it for himself, Jason was beginning to have some serious doubts over whatever it was his titanic lover had planned. “Gilah, I know you’re strong, but this might be too risky.”

 

“We’re already past the point of risk.” Her mind had already been made. Though she loved Jason there was no way the two of them could turn back now. Not without consequences. “We’ve already gone past the point that classifies as their ‘domain'. Those Depth-Borne before were just stragglers swimming aimlessly in the current. They weren’t deep enough to feel Corpse Maker’s presence. But I can.”

 

“Even if she can’t see me, if we leave now Cathay will feel a disturbance in the domain. A blip in its structure.” They had already been warned once and lived through the cost of disobeying the Ruler of the Depths. They got off lightly before and likely wouldn’t be so fortunate next time. “I don’t think I have to explain what happens if she finds out we were here.”

 

Even now, Jason felt as though he were walking a tightrope when facing the tyrant’s potential wrath. “You don’t…”

 

Gilah didn’t need to see her beloved to know that he was worried. Actually, more than that. He was terrified. She tilted her head slightly, only close enough so as to touch her cheek for reassurance.

 

“You placed your trust in me, Jason. So trust that I’ll keep us safe.” She’d kiss him if she were in the right position to do so. “You forget, I was used to this once. Impossible odds, facing grim outcomes with steel-like resolve. This... was my normal. We’ll manage through this, I promise.”

 

Jason truly wished he could possess Gilah’s confidence. It was unfortunately impossible for him as every fiber of his body screamed with danger.

 

Eventually, his mind was forced away from such fears as Gilah stood upright and moved her arms behind her back.

 

“Done!”

 

She moved quickly, throwing herself up and forcing her darling human to latch on tightly to her hair again. Her hands maneuvered around her body, fastening her new clothing around her legs, waist, and most importantly her chest. The result was a rather fine set of cloth ‘armor’ fashioned in such a way that, while still showing skin, managed to cover more than needed. In fact, Gilah was better dressed now than she was prior. 

 

“I used some from the whelp too.” Gilah clarified. Knowing what came next, Jason let go of her hair and allowed himself to float forward as she took several steps back, intent on showcasing her new attire. She gave herself a twirl, clearly pleased with what she had managed to make.  Form-fitting, just as before, but now fashioned in such a way that it won’t be cut off should they enter another skirmish. And this time she even added something for her legs, the small pants she wore prior leaving a bit too much exposed for her liking. Always made it so some beast would attack that first. Aside from that, much remained the same. Still, Jason couldn’t help but enjoy the beaming smile on the leviathan’s face.

 

“Lovely as always.” Jason looked downward, now realizing just what sort of coverings she had made for her legs. “Hey, are those stirrups?” He didn’t think Gilah had enough flesh for something such as that.

 

Gilah pulled at the leggings, both embarrassed and glad that Jason had pointed them out right away. “I’m aware of what some humans wear topside, you know? You adorable cuties dress up in the strangest things sometimes, but these I like. Just enough to cover up your legs, but also enough to show off your thighs and toes~.”

 

She leaned forward, her voice like honey as she focused on those last two points.

 

“You trying to tease me?” Jason asked with a smile.

 

Twirling her hair between two fingers Gilah nodded slightly, trying her best to hide her grin and failing.

 

“Well, it’s working.”

 

The two shared a laugh, forgetting the skirmish prior as well as the dangers that lay ahead. This was what Gilah was seeking. Moments such as these that she wished to hold onto and cherish. It was why she was here, so far down in the Depths that none but the eldest came here. And even then, it was almost never without Cathay’s allowance.

 

Placing her hand beneath Jason, she waited for him to drift down into her waiting palm, their delay having lasted long enough. She maintained her smile, though it was a hefty task now as she needed to return her focus down toward the task at hand. They were close now, so very close to a point where no light could reach. Looking toward the opposite end of the Cavern the duo was met with unassailable darkness.

 

Gilah looked down at Jason once more, constantly reminding herself of the reason behind every step she took. Though he was scared, he still looked up at her with such an incredible amount of trust that she just couldn’t fail him. So many things, for both her and him, were riding on this. Jason was right. Her plan was risky. But to do nothing now, to stay in the Depths where violence such as hers was looked upon with favor? She wouldn’t be able to live like that. She didn’t want to live like that. ‘

 

So, curling her fingers protectively around her beloved, Gilah stepped into the unknown ready to face whatever fate may have in store for her. There was no price she wouldn’t pay, no lengths she wouldn’t jump. Even if it meant dulling her teeth and claws…

 

She would sacrifice her very sense of self if it meant seeing her dreams could come to be.  

Chapter End Notes:

We've been over this before, if you liked then a review would be appreciated. Also, check out the other writers for Eldritch Sweethearts. They're all awesome.