- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Even if it defies our nature change can occur. We can always grow beyond the person we once were. We can be the person we want to be. 

Valerie paced back and forth across the bar, from one end of the building to the next. She didn't know what to do. Adrian was curled up in a fetal position on the floor, murmuring to himself over and over again the impossibility of the situation. Cathay was silent, thankfully, helping herself to the bar's various drinks. Without Adrian to prepare anything she had settled for just drinking straight out of the bottle, though something told Valerie the Ruler was more than fine with this. The eldest Armitage on the other hand was anything BUT fine. Even now, with things having settled down some after Cathay's brief deconstruction of reality, she was still reeling from having stood her ground against the cosmic force. 


It had taken far more courage than she realized to even stand up to them verbally. Still Valerie was trying to wrap her head around just what the hell she was thinking. She's been known as someone whose bark is as bad as their bite, sure, but neither should work against a cosmic powerhouse such as Cathay. Even the small display of power they demonstrated was terrifying for God's sake! Had Valerie actually angered her further than who knows what would have happened?! 


Stopping in her tracks Valerie gave her cheeks a few light slaps. "Don't think about the what-ifs, just be glad you're alive!" She reminded herself. The hardest part was over, and Valerie thanked her lucky stars to have made it this far. As far as she was concerned this was the home stretch, and all she had to do was convince Cathay to leave.


All without coaxing their Ire. Easier said than done, yet someone had to do it. 


"Okay…" Valerie steeled her nerves, trying her hardest to hide her fear. "Okay… let's do this." Turning towards the Ruler, Valerie proved too focused on the task ahead to notice the front door to the bar opening. It wasn't until Cathay raised a finger to silence the approaching human did they realize their attention was elsewhere. 


Cathay turned her head, eyes narrowing as she watched the door open. "There you are… I don't know how much longer I was willing to wait."


A harrowing comment, made even more nerve wracking when Valerie saw who it was Cathay was speaking to. There at the entrance stood a beauty of a woman. Clothed appropriately for the cold night, the blue haired woman stood silently as she stared at Cathay. They couldn't have been any taller than the Ruler's current form, and yet Valerie felt a grand pressure from them. Shorter than even herself, this woman carried with her a towering aura that Valerie simply couldn't ignore. 


"Your patience is appreciated." Gilah responded with a slight bow. "I know it must have been difficult considering the circumstances." 


"It's been… tolerable." Cathay lowered her current drink onto the bar as she observed her age old friend's attire and appearance. They had changed a lot. More than initially anticipated. She grimaced. "The height and appearance were to be expected, but my goodness Gilah, you've already started dressing like them…" 


The Butcher smirked, pulling at the collars of her shirt and jacket. It was difficult finding something that fit at first, requiring more than a few attempts. "It's rather strange, I'll admit. But nothing horrible. In fact, I might even grow to like it." The amount of clothing Gilah had to go through before shrinking down one final time was more than she cared to admit. Even then, while some of her more bestial traits had nearly vanished completely, such as fins and her tail stub, she still possessed her claws and gills. They proved difficult to hide, with Gilah's gills requiring a scarf to conceal and care needing to be exercised when putting on yet another shirt, as her claws tore through fabric with outrageous ease. It wasn't long before she had been left with a single outfit choice. 


A long brown skirt that reached down to Gilah's ankles, along with a similarly colored shirt and jacket. Bland as color combinations go even by Depth standards, but it was all she had. And besides, it proved rather comfortable. 


"Honestly, it could be worse." The leviathan admitted. "I like what you're wearing more though. Very fashionable, as I'm sure the humans might say. Especially loving those shades of yours. I see you couldn't hide your eyes."


Cathay scoffed in disgust. "Please, don't remind me. It's torture enough being limited to this atrocious simian shell, but do I truly need to change my eyes too? I already feel more vulnerable now than any other point of my life. Must I really deny myself my own eyes' natural colors for the convenience of a few apes?" 


The Ruler sighed, holding her head in her hand. It was humiliating to even be seen like this, by Gilah of all people. If any other Depthborn saw her like this, or dreamer forbid, the Primals, she'd never be able to live this down. Just another issue on an ever increasing pile of unfortunate circumstances. 


Or shit, that works too.


"You have no idea the type of headache I have right now…" The Ruler complained. 


The two Depthborn talked so casually. It was almost enough to make Valerie forget that these two in particular were some serious powerhouses. Cathay, Ruler of a Domain widely feared across creation, and Gilah, the kidnapper of her little brother. Valerie almost wanted to walk up to the leviathan and slap her right across the face as revenge for the full year of guilt she had to endure. She stayed her hand, thankfully, knowing well that this situation wouldn't allow for such action. 


That, and she had more pressing matters in mind. 


"So… that's Gilah?" Valerie thought "She's… actually rather beautiful. Almost does Jason's words justice when he used to describe her." 


The eldest Armitage's eyes went wide upon realizing that. She stepped forwards toward Gilah, not in anger but out of hope. "Wait… if you're here… then…"


Cathay quickly picked up on what Valerie was interested in. "Right, right… might as well address the elephant in the room. Where exactly is the little 'homewrecker', Gilah?"


"Here!" A voice called from outside. With a huff, Jason stepped into the bar as Gilah stepped to the side. He was breathing heavily, clearly exhausted. "Sorry! I'm right… here. Just a little winded. Gilah carried me from my house and into the city, but we decided to walk the rest of the way. Not a great idea if I'm being honest, Gilah's very fast. I just couldn't keep up."


"I asked if you wanted me to carry you the rest of the way." The leviathan reminded her beloved mate. "I have no issue carrying you in my arms."


Jason shook his head. "No need to worry about it, I'm fine. Didn't want to inconvenience you now that you're shorter than me."


"Jason, you weigh next to nothing for me. That isn't even an exaggeration, it really is no issue." Gilah had to stifle her laughter, enjoying her lover's 'tough guy' act. All the while she was unaware over how uncomfortable this made Cathay, seeing the two of them displaying even this minor amount of affection. 


"I know." Jason responded. "Even if you're size shrunk you're strength certainly hasn-" 


Before he could finish, Jason was nearly tackled as, out of nowhere, Valerie rushed forward to embrace her younger brother. 


Initially taken back by the sudden act, it wasn't until Jason realized who it was that was holding him so tightly did he understand. Wrapping his arms around his sister, Jason repaid the hug in full. He could feel his shoulders growing wet as tears formed in Valerie's eyes. He had forgotten how much shorter she was. Matching Gilah in her current height, the two only came up to his collar. That didn't keep his shoulders from getting wet. 


"So I take it you missed me?" He joked. 


Valerie choked back her own tears, laughing softly as she pushed herself away from her brother. Wiping away the tears, she wore a fierce grin. "Me? Miss you? Puh-lease, Only thing I missed was the passwords you'd share for streaming sites. How you were happy to help me with my taxes, or offer me a few bucks here and there."


"...How you'd always listen to me rant after another breakup, or how you'd tell the most outrageous stories to cheer me up. Certainly didn't miss those, no sir…" slowly, Valerie's lips began to quiver as the tears flowed once more. Her fierce grin wavered as she tried in vain to wipe away the water falling from her eyes with her jacket sleeve. "I'm sorry for not trusting you. I'm sorry for doubting what you saw; what you believed. I'm sorry… and I'm glad that you're safe and sound." 


When Jason first brought up Gilah's existence, back when he only knew her as some silhouette in the distance, observable at night, none believed him. Not even his own siblings. It wasn't until his disappearance did Valerie start to have doubts, and for a full year that had been eating away at her. Now, with her brother back, it was all coming to the surface. 


Jason extended his arms forward, expecting his sister to hug him once more. Instead, he was met with several strong hits to the chest. "But never, ever, do-that-to-me-again! God, Jason! Do you have any idea how worried I was?!" 


Having grown up with his sister's punches, the blows didn't hurt as much as they would for other people. Jason was even able to catch Valerie's wrists mid swing to stop her from hitting him again. He smiled as wholeheartedly as he was able, showing that everything would be fine now that he was here. As though a simple smile would enough to turn back the clock and take away the pain of the past year. "I know, and I'm sorry. I never wanted you to worry. Believe me, we tried to come back. Things just got complicated." 


"Yeah, I know." Valerie relented, pulling her hand free from her brother's grip. Quickly, she turned to face Gilah, her reignited fury enough to startle the leviathan. "But does SHE know that?


Even if she wanted to hit them, Valerie doubted anything she did to Gilah would even hurt. Still, just like with Cathay, the eldest Armitage's words stung more than any of her strikes.  


"Honestly, are you some sort of idiot?! I know the Depths are full of beasts, I did my research, but do you have to act like one?! My brother called you graceful, you know? Said you were a beauty without compare, cheesy bastard! Great! So what do you do?! You kidnap him and keep him from his family for over a year! I mean, who does that?! You, clearly!" 


Like with the Ruler, Valerie just tore into Gilah, all while the Leviathan backed away in apparent fear. Though the two were of the same height, Gilah felt as though she were staring down a rampaging Depth beast. She looked to Jason in the hope that he would do something of aid. Instead, she saw an expression of resignation, as though he had expected such a reaction from his sister. 


Jason saw Gilah looking his way and gave her a thumbs up. She, in turn, promptly flipped him off. This was the man she loved, the least he could do is get between her and his sister.  


The sudden snapping of fingers tore Gilah's attention away from her beloved and back towards Valerie. "Excuuuuse me, Earth to kidnapper. You dozing off? Better not 'cause I ain't done with you yet."


Shaking her head to focus once more, Gilah hung her head in shame. "I'm… sorry. Truly I am…" There were no excuses she could give that would prove satisfactory for Valerie. One wrong step and she'd be set off again. "There is nothing I can say that will make things right, I know this. I took away your brother, kept him in the Depths despite his original wishes, far from his family. I will never be able to give back the time that I had stolen. But please, I ask that you trust me. I care about your brother deeply. More than you may realize."


Surprising Valerie and shocking Cathay, who up until now had been watching the entire conversation unfold with silent contempt, Gilah lowered herself down until her head touched the floor. Prostrating herself, she exposed herself completely. A sign of forgiveness, shown through making oneself vulnerable. 


"Please… allow me the chance to make amends for what I did. Allow me the chance to beg. Your brother… he… he is…" the words refused to come out even though Gilah knew what she wanted to say. Everyone was watching her. Jason, Valerie, the strange human muttering to himself in the corner. Even Cathay was observing with uncommon interest. 


"Your brother is everything I've ever wanted in life." Gilah finally admitted as she sat up straight. Valerie's anger diminished slightly upon seeing the leviathan's blushing cheeks. "He is kind… and sweet… and gentle. Oh so gentle… everything the Depths is not. With him, I feel more than alive. I feel loved. Jason is my everything. He is my treasure. And I would like to stay by his side for as long as I may live." 


As all this was being said, Cathay could only look away. She was thankful that no one was looking her way as her shoulders slumped down. She downed another glass of liquid courage before continuing to listen. 


Looking down at the Leviathan, Valerie still saw the one who had taken her brother away from her. Though they were of human size now, she knew Gilah was anything but. It'd be foolish to entrust her sibling to something so calamitous. 


And yet… through the blush on their cheeks, and the tone of their voice, Valerie knew Gilah meant every word of what she said. Worst of all, looking at her brother's smile now, she saw that he trusted her with every fiber of his body. 


Considering all Valerie had to go through during the year, the many sleepless nights she had to endure pouring over tome after tome of archaic knowledge and research, all to find her brother, it should have been easy to deny Gilah. 


But she couldn't. No matter how badly Valerie wanted to say it, the word "no" wouldn't leave her lips. She crossed her arms, unsure of what to do. 


Looking at Jason, she was surprised to see that he was in an agreeable state. Despite being away in some other 'reality' for a full year, he was surprisingly healthy. In fact, if Valerie didn't know any better, she'd say he was even more fit then before. A result of all his swimming around the Deep Wastes. He was alive and well, kept safe thanks to Gilah. 


In the end, Valerie supposed that's all that really mattered. 


With a groan, Valerie couldn't find it in herself to be that cruel. The two had come to the surface to escape the Depths after all, it'd be a dick move on her part to send Gilah back. "Fuck it…. Fine. You and Jason can stay together."


Gilah's reaction was sudden, if not a little startling. She jumped up to her feet, grabbing both of Valerie's hands and holding them in her own. "Really, you forgive me?!"


With a scoff, Valerie tried to pull her hands free only to realize that, even with their light grip, Gilah maintained a firm hold on them. Noticing this, the leviathan let go of Valerie's hands, allowing them to rub their wrists. Even that light touch was enough to cut off some circulation. 


"Absolutely not, you kidnapped my brother. I'm rightfully pissed. However…" Valerie looked back between the Depthborn and her younger sibling. "It's clear you two care about each other. A lot. So I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt."


Too elated to react, Gilah was caught off guard when Valerie pinched the lobe of her ear. She pulled them close, so that her voice could remain a whisper. "If you ever pull some shit like that again though, I will make you regret it. Forget about Cathay, I will make your life a living Hell. Are we clear?"


Gilah nodded cautiously, more afraid of the woman in front of her than the Ruler seated at the bar. Satisfied, Valerie let go of the Leviathan's ear. "Lovely. Now then, if everyone's okay. If we've all gotten that out of our systems…"


A sudden chill ran through the bar. In the corner Adrian's mutterings became louder, more maddening as, up ahead, Cathay's wings had unfurled. He tried to shield his eyes behind his hands, but even then he could see the visage of the Ruler through the dark. He tried to scream, but no air left his lungs as the world seemed to shrink away. 


Whatever Cathay was doing, she didn't get far as Gilah stepped between the Armitage siblings and her, placing an arm in front of them. For a moment her form simmered, turning dark and luminous before returning to its normal appearance. 


The alterations to reality ended before anything could get out of hand. Cathay was silent as a hum was heard, and in some ways felt, by only Gilah and Jason. The Ruler chuckled softly as she stood up from her seat. "So… you bonded with Jason. Isn't that adorable…" for a moment she had tried to alter reality, Jason specifically, only to find Gilah's influence preventing her from doing so. "Honestly, I had expected it. But to see it for myself…" 


There were no words that could match the exact emotions she was currently feeling. 


Cathay's wings shrunk away, hiding away on her coat once more as she made her way over to Jason. Her eyes fell on Gilah, the Butcher at the ready in case things went south. Even if it meant fighting Cathay, she would keep Jason and Valerie safe. 


The Ruler rolled her eyes, the molten hue shining off her glasses slightly, and threw her hands up. "Calm down, I'm not going to hurt your… beloved." Saying that seemed almost wounding. There was a brief expression of disgust upon Cathay's face. "I just want to talk." 


Gilah wasn't backing down. Jason could hear the bones of her knuckles popping. Tightening in case she really did need to fight. But what sort of hope did she have against Cath? "Well, I'm listening. So talk."


With a smirk, Cathay pointed to Jason while her hands were still raised. "Oh no, you misunderstand. I heard everything I needed to hear from you. Lovely stuff, Gilah. It was all so…" once again, disgust spread across the Ruler's face. "Veeeery touching… no, what I want is to talk to Jason. That's all. No strings attached." 


Gilah wasn't buying it. She's known the Ruler for thousands of years, before the time she had taken the throne of the Depths. She knew few people better, and while she cared for Cathay, Gilah also knew that lying was no beneath them. "I'm sorry Cath, but I don't think I can do that." 


The two ancient friends stared each other down, neither moving from their position, never taking their eyes off of one another, until it was Jason who finally broke the silence. He gently placed a hand upon Gilah's shoulder. 


"It's okay. I think this needs to happen." 


Understandably hesitant, the Leviathan persisted in her defense. "Jason, you can't be serious. You know as well as I do what Cathay can do. With a thought she could-"


"Make me wish I was never born." The weaker human finished. "Yeah, I know. Still, this isn't something we can ignore. It isn't something we should ignore." 


"Think this through, Jason. Please. Without our pact you'd be defenseless."


Jason's mind was made up. "Trust me, okay? I got this." 


Understanding she wouldn't be able to sway her mate's decision, Gilah lowered her arm. She grit her teeth as she stared at Cathay. No words as a growl reverberated in the Leviathan's throat. No words were spoken but the message was clear. Dare bring harm to her Jason and there'd be an empty throne before long. 


Cathay was unamused, threats amounting to nothing to one as old as her. Still, it was best to remain on Gilah's good side. She'd hate to do away with perhaps the only being she considered a friend. 


And only just a friend it would seem. 


Stepping forward, Jason was stopped as his sister held onto his arm tightly. Valerie had just gotten him back and she was not going to let him go again. 


He could see the fear in her eyes. The despair. Even then, Jason knew he had to press on. 


Please don't…" Valerie pleaded. "Don't do this after I just got you back."


Rubbing her arm, Jason shot his sister a confident smile. "Don't worry, I'll be fine." Pulling free, he stood up to Cathay as she continued to hold her hands up high. Gilah had relented yet still she held this ridiculous position. Jason couldn't think too much on it though, there were clearly more important matters to discuss.


Cathay was tall in this human form of hers. Almost as tall as Jason, save maybe an inch or two. Even then, she still carried an all-powerful presence to her. The type which made her appear far larger than she really was. 


"So, you wanna talk here?" Jason asked. "Or should we take this someplace else."


"Here is fine." The Ruler responded. "I was hoping to have us converse somewhere more private, but Gilah stopped me from whisking you elsewhere. I suppose I still could, were she to lower that protective pact for a moment…" 


Looking at Gilah, Jason nodded. Signaling that everything would be fine. Hesitant at first, she eventually obeyed as the defense she placed upon her beloved vanished, allowing Cathay's influence to take hold once more. The Ruler's lips parted as she smiled widely. 


"That's MUCH better, thank you~" 


With her hands still raised, Cathay snapped her fingers and all colors faded from the world. Reality did not shift, nor did anything really change beyond the draining of shades of color. Gilah never moved from her spot, instead looking over towards Cathay and Jason. Valerie on the other hand screamed, yet no sound was heard. It took Jason a moment to realize that he couldn't really hear anything. Not his own footsteps, nor his sister's rapidly approaching footfall, or even Adrian's wails. Nothing could be heard. 


"There we go, so much quieter~." 


With his back turned towards Cathay, Jason didn't even notice the massive fingers wrapping around his torso. Each one was as large as a baseball bat, and gripped him tightly. 


Taking Jason's distraction as a chance to grow, the Ruler wasted no time in flaunting her size by lifting the human high. "Isn't this better, Jason?" Cathay asked as she took off her sunglasses with her free hand, allowing her fiery eyes to shine fully. She exuded absolute confidence. "It certainly is for me. We can't have you looking at me on equal ground, thinking we're in the same league." 


At this size Cathay easily reached forty feet, maybe more. Forget thinking about his death, it'd only take a quick squeeze to kill Jason at this height. Of course both understood that wasn't going to happen.


"I really do want to talk to you." Cathay admitted. "More for my sake than yours. I just prefer keeping this aspect of our 'relationship' alive is all. That's not an issue, right?"


Jason didn't even get a chance to answer as Cathay's hands fell to her sides. She watched as Gilah worked to calm Valerie down, likely explaining what had happened. 


Before their very eyes, Jason and Cathay had vanished. Disappeared without a trace. In truth, the Ruler had only created what could be called a Mirror World. A pseudo dimension where she could view the world, but nothing in turn could see or touch her. The perfect place to have a much needed talk. 


The two women seemed to quickly understand that there was nothing they could do, so instead they turned their efforts towards Adrian. The gibbering madman was in rough shape and needed serious mental aid. Valerie and Gilah would do what they could, but what they'd be able to manage would prove pointless; irrelevant. 


"Good…" It was hardly any concern for Cathay. "That should buy us twenty minutes. Maybe more if Gilah decides to take in that Ape too. With another snap of her fingers the world around the two of them expanded, allowing for the quick construction of a counter similar to the bar’s. 


Making her way over and placing Jason on top, Cathay took her seat. She loomed over the small human, watching each of his movements carefully. There was an ounce of fear felt within as he stood up. Whatever was to come, Jason was prepared for it.


With a wave of her hand, a clear glass cup materialized in the Ruler's hand. She slammed it down on the countertop with such force that Jason fell onto his ass, disoriented. 


"Your sister mentioned something called a 'screwdriver'." Cathay explained. "I didn't get to try one before you showed up. Do you think you could top me off?"


Okay, so perhaps Jason wasn't expecting that. 


****


There was a noticeable smile on Cathay's lips as she savored her drink. "So this is a Screwdriver." She was hesitant at first, mixing vodka and orange juice together. But there was a certain refreshing taste she just couldn't get over. A definite remedy for the day she's had. "You know, I've drank plenty of new things tonight, yet this might be my favorite. Care to try, Jason?" 


On the constructed countertop, Jason had his hands on his knees as he struggled to catch his breath. Normally, making such a simple drink was hardly any effort, but Cathay insisted he go about the task while she was still over forty feet tall. Everything she had constructed in this Mirror World was scaled to fit her size, not his. The glasses, the drinks, even the fruit. He had to make her damn drink alone, without any sort of aid on the Ruler's part. 


The winded human raised his hand in front of him. "I'm… I'm good… thanks."


With a shrug, Cathay returned to her drink, sucking on an oversized orange as the two returned to their monotonous silence. They had hardly talked despite original intentions, instead only keeping an eye on the ailing Adrian as he was tended to by Valerie and Gilah. There was the occasional comment, one of which Cathay had geared towards Jason's sister. 


They proved fierce. Extremely aggressive when pushed into a corner, even against someone as powerful as Cathay. Jason felt pride over his sister's actions, glad that time hadn't done away with her old temper. "Yeah, she's got quite the mean stream here in Ravencroft." 


Cathay chuckled. "And I thought my temper was fierce. She knew who I was and STILL tore into me like some starving whelp. Quite the strange human…" The Ruler swirled the contents of her glass, thinking of not just Valerie's unique properties but Jason's as well.


"You both are." Against all odds, it was a small, weak human that managed to turn the legendary Butcher away from her original home in the Depths. No simple human, no matter how kind, should be able to do that. What's more, Gilah was maintaining her ancient bloodlust well. All for Jason's sake. It baffled Cathay, a being who's lived longer than some of the oldest stars. "You managed to turn Gilah away from her home, her own kind. It almost makes me question your own humanity." 


Is that how she saw things? Sure, Jason had a hand in Gilah's decision, but he'd never be the type to make it for her. Especially if it was something as impactful as leaving the very domain she's known all her life. That was strength he just didn't possess. "You've got it wrong. The choice was Gilah's. She just needed to know if I was willing to stick with her through any consequences, which I clearly would."


"Excuse my doubts, but I find that difficult to imagine." Gilah's had her conniptions of the Depths, this much was known, but to actually leave them? It boggled Cathay's mind, especially after all she's done to ensure they don't leave. "It's hard for me to picture. A Depthborn such as her choosing to leave in such a manner. It boggles the mind."


"And why is that?" Jason asked. Cathay raised a brow in confusion. "It's pretty clear she was tired of all the pointless fighting in the Depths. Maybe after growing a distaste for it all she saw the lack of reason?"


Jason saw the look of confusion on Cathay. 


"Reason?" She asked, setting her drink down besides the smaller human. "You mean you need a reason to fight?" 


Cathay has known Gilah for thousands of years, and acted as witness to some of their most calamitous battles. Yes, they had grown to regret their deeds but that didn't change a fact written into their very beings. Clearly seen now that Gilah's old wrath had been restored and refined. 


"All Depthborn enjoy fighting. We all crave destruction; power." The Ruler explained. "And anyone who craves power loves to measure that power in battle. It's a simple fact."


"The question to ponder is WHY we seek to gain power. Is it just to fight? Or perhaps something more? Survival has been our goal for eons, but I'll admit even I haven't figured it out yet…" Cathay's eyes fell upon Jason, but they weren't filled with the wrath one might expect. Instead, they looked rather sorrowful. Pitiable. Any weakness shown however was quickly dashed. "But who cares… because one thing is certain. There is no reason for us to change or deny this, because we were all born this way."


"From the smallest Whelp to the oldest Primal, it's a part of us. We do it instinctively. From the moments we are born and set upon by our own parents gnashing teeth, we have always needed to fight… because it's the only way we know how to survive…"


Cathay's grip on the glass increased until it finally shattered. She hardly cared for the shards that dug into her skin, only able to focus on the life not just she lived, but the loves every Depthborn had experienced. Survival was all that mattered in the Depths. And to survive, one needed power. More power than any other creature you could come across. To that end, every denizen of the Depths rampages throughout creation, searching for those strong enough to force this needed 'evolution'. Their own individual ascension. The Primals had long reached the pinnacle of power, just below that of a Ruler's. Yet they were only twelve, and the Depths contained trillions. So the battles will never stop. They can't. To deny that would be to deny themselves. Their nature, their sense of identity. It all revolved around this need to survive. 


There lay the secrets of the Depthborn. A simple grand desire to survive. So grand that they were willing to burn the cosmos to ensure their survival. Gilah was no different. If her life was on the line, if she was pushed into a corner, it would be her fury she'd need to rely on. Her Depthborn brutality to ensure her survival. That would never change, of that Cathay was certain. 


Jason wasn't of the same mind though. He understood what Cathay was saying, and even sympathized with her. The Depths were an unforgiving domain, as he had witnessed firsthand the horrors within. But even then, with all the Ruler had said, he didn't believe her. 


"That right there is the problem then." Jason explained as he sat down cross legged. He looked up at the Ruler, who in turn waited patiently for his rebuttal. "See, Gilah doesn't want to just survive. She wants to live, Cath. She wants to love life without having to worry about the next coming fight. She wants peaceful days, and pleasant sunsets. She wants serenity rather than strife." 


Cathay found the idea repulsive. If there was one truth to any universe it’s that strife will always be a constant. "A ridiculous notion."


"Maybe for you." Jason shot back. "But it's quite common for us humans. Now I'm not saying we're special, already know how you feel about that, but I am saying we know how to appreciate good things in life. Some of us 'Apes' struggle to survive, so we can relate. But there are also people who know how to appreciate something as simple as a breeze over a meadow. It's simple peace like that which Gilah wants. It's what'll make her happy."


And ultimately that's what the two of them wanted for her. While Jason's explanation was completely alien to one such as Cathay, peace being a concept unfamiliar to the Depths, she understood where Gilah's joy may be found. While she hated to admit it, the Leviathan would have just been miserable in her original home. Even with Jason close by, having to stay in a domain which had caused her so much inner pain would have been daily torment. The Ruler hoped that, with time, they'd grow to tolerate the Depths. But that was wishful thinking. 


Jason on the other hand had a clear idea of what his beloved wanted. A quiet, loving life that defied everything a Depthborn normally stood for. Even for one with as bloody a past as hers, it seemed impossible. Yet that's what she craved. 


With a huff, Cathay rested her arm on top of the counter before laying her head on top of it. She felt defeated. Tired. And she never even had to get into a fight. This was a new type of exhaustion she was unfamiliar with. 


There was a phenomenon with the Depths, experienced by few and thus very little new of it. A point in a Leviathan's life where, against their very nature, they'd begin to question the purpose behind their bloodshed. Some have been known to change thanks to this philosophical event. A point that changes their sense of self. Another form of survival, sudden adaptation, as one method of ensuring your continued existence was by never fighting at all. 


Leave the conflicts to the beasts. 


While Cathay had never experienced it herself, she knew it to be the cause behind Gilah's sudden change. Her sudden questioning of all the blood she had spilt throughout her comparatively short existence. There was some hope that, as time went on, the Butcher would turn away from such thoughts. Return to her roots and hone her cravings; become truly legendary. Again, wishful thinking, as all they had done to deny themselves such desires showed monstrous fortitude of body and mind. Even now this fact is unchanged, And Cathay knew that.


She knew for a long time that the Butcher's teeth had been dulled. 


Perhaps… if they had never met Jason, if they had never left the Depths, all this could have been avoided. 


Maybe, but who was Cathay to deny her one real friend such happiness? Even if it meant turning away from her home, by what right did she have to grant them misery? 


No, she was done here. Even if it meant her own feelings would go unrequited, so long as Gilah found joy in this new life then it was all worth it. 


Even if it hurt like hell this was what needed to happen. Cathay only regretted that it took the words of two humans to convince her. 


Turning her head slightly to face her oldest friend's mate, the fallen Ruler asked the one question that now repeated across her mind. 


"Will you give her a wonderful life?" She asked. "Can you grant her everything she's ever wanted?" 


Jason smiled. He walked up to the Ruler and placed a hand on her forehead. She seemed sad… as well as hopeful. They needed to hear that all their worrying, all their outbursts and tantrums, wouldn't amount to nothing. 


"I will give her my all, your Highness." Jason replied with a bow. "But it'd be a much better life if you remained a part of it." 


Cathay said nothing. Instead, she closed her eyes and allowed for a sudden pervading darkness to envelop the two of them, tearing apart the Mirror World before placing the two of them back in the bar at more reasonable sizes. 


Having just gotten her friend calmed down, Valerie watched with annoyance as Cathay's and Jason's sudden return only elicited more screaming from Adrian. "Dammit! And we just managed to get him to shut up!" 


"I could still knock him out." Gilah suggested, already winding up a punch. 


"In your damn dreams! Why don't you just…" Valerie's words were cut short as Adrian's screaming ceased. His eyes closed, and before long his chest rose and fell with gentle breathing; fast asleep. 


With a wave of her hand Cathay had allowed the bar's owner some much needed rest. A special slumber that should hopefully repair the damage she had inflicted upon his mind. After tonight it'll all just seem like a bad, barely memorable, nightmare. 


Cathay walked towards Gilah, the Butcher still on edge from before but slightly more relaxed. They watched as she put on her sunglasses with shaking hands, doing well to hide any sort of emotions they may be feeling. "Cath? Is everything alright?" Aggression was forgotten as concern took hold. "What happened?" 


The Ruler said nothing as, with nary an indication, she mentally altered the pact made between Ordegash and Gilah. A perk of having the Primal Lord as her tongue piercing, she was able to influence the details of the bargain. It was quick, barely noticeable for all but Ordegash, who likely felt their power manipulated by the vastly more powerful Tyrant of the Deep Wastes. Cathay couldn't change every detail of the pact, but just enough that it wouldn't prove too troublesome. 


"I've altered the deal you made With Ordegash to secure your life on the surface." Cathay explained. "I didn't do away with your reawakened cravings, you'll need to manage those yourself. Though I suppose that was already the plan. My gift to you will reveal itself in time. It'll help make your new life more manageable should things grow… precarious."


Gilah was nearly at a loss for words. "Wait… new life? So you mean…"


"The Depths are closed off to you." Cathay interrupted. Her voice choked up for a moment. Composing herself, the Ruler made her way to the door, not bothering to let Gilah finish. Before leaving though, she stopped. She didn't turn to face her age-old companion. 


For perhaps the final time in their life. "G…good… goodbye… old friend. Be well. Live your life as you see fit."


"And… I'm sorry. For any pain I had inflicted on you and Jason."


Before Gilah could process what was happening, Cathay walked out of the bar, closing the door behind her. She gave no one the chance to speak up, choosing instead to leave while she still had emotional strength on her side. 


Jason was the first to step forward. "Dammit, she shouldn't just leave like that. I'll go get her." But he was stopped before he could follow after the emotional Ruler.


Grabbing a hold of her beloved's shirt, Gilah stopped his pursuit. "Leave her. Please. She needs time to think." 


Knowing Cathay was hurting, Gilah understood that the last thing anyone should do was bother the sulking Ruler. This was unfamiliar territory for both of them, and there was no telling how Cath might react. 


"I'll speak with her later, through my own methods. For now, let's just focus on your friend."


Jason looked to Adrian, watching as they struggled in their sleep. Cathay's 'repairs' were far from a pleasant experience. While he didn't want to leave Cathay in such a state, Jason would just have to trust Gilah knew what she was doing. 


"Fine. Just make sure you do try and talk to her. She cares about you quite a bit. " 


Rushing over to Adrian's side, Jason placed a hand on their head. "He's getting warm. Gilah, can you get some ice and put it in a bag? I wanna keep him from burning up." 


"Of course." 


As the couple got to work tending to Adrian's condition, Valerie's attention was elsewhere. She had seen it all unfold. Cathay's departure struck a chord with the oldest Armitage, and before she knew it she was facing the bar's entrance.


"Just let it go, Val. You don't owe her anything" she told herself. "After what Cath did, she deserves to hurt." 


Yet despite thinking that, the more she thought about how they departed, and what their final words to Gilah were, Valerie felt her own heartstrings tug.


"Don't do it, idiot. You don't know what she'll do to you."


Valerie should be helping her brother. Adrian was still in bad shape and she couldn't be thinking about Cathay.


She shouldn't be worried about their pain. 


And yet, against her better judgment, Valerie was.  


"...Dammit"


****


Outside facing nothing but the night's cool breeze, Cathay felt the weight of the world fall upon her shoulders. She had yet to return to the Depths, and not even five minutes after her departure did she find herself shrinking against the outside walls of Adrian's bar, The Drunken Mariner. 


She had meant what she said, wishing Gilah a good life. To some extent, she even wanted the same for Jason. Despite her own feelings she knew in her very bones that he was what was best for the legendary Butcher of the Depths. Unlike her, Jason could actually give Gilah the life she wanted. The life she needed


That did little, however, to do away with the pain building within her chest. 


Cathay has lived since time immemorial, having witnessed the birth and decay of the very first star. She has battled all manner of creatures, no matter how obscure, and always came out on top. In a way, she was similar to her beloved companions' younger self. Though she was no "Calamity", Cathay once relished in combat, just as Gilah did. The greatest difference between the two of them is that, while the young Leviathan had sought a more peaceful path, Cathay had not. 


She wished Gilah luck on this path. Truly, she did. But now her own would be much more lonesome. And that in of itself was a more grievous wound than any that's ever inflicted her. 


"Dammit…" Cathay loathed losing. She hated it even more when learning that there was nothing she could have done that would have ensured her victory. No path where Gilah could have lived a loving life other than this one. 


Reaching into her mouth, the Ruler ripped the Primal forged piercing from her tongue. There was no need for her to look upon Ordegash. Odds are they were elated to have witnessed the desired path being walked. A brighter future for the Depths, through these first few steps towards "love". 


With a groan of disgust, Cathay flicked the iridescent pearl from her hand, letting it fly off into the night sky. Phasing through buildings until it passes into the sea, returning Ordegash the Corpse Maker to their domain. 


Cathay knows nothing of this path of "love". Nothing besides the fact that it was one she did not walk. Many others did though. Destroyers, Preservers, Earthbound sea beasts and even representatives of her own kind. But not her. 


Never her. 


She no longer knew what to do, and the longer the Ruler sat upon the cold floor, looking up towards the full moon overhead, she dreaded the thought of returning to the Depths alone. 


"Maybe I should have just destroyed the Earth…" Cathay wondered out loud. Taking off her sunglasses once again she rubbed her eyes, denying any tears from being formed. "Maybe then I wouldn't have felt any of this." 


Even with this unfamiliar pain she refused to appear so weak. An impossible task given her condition. She blamed her human visage, her copied frailty. She blamed mankind for having created someone as kind as Jason. But most of all she blamed herself, her nature and the difficulties it brought in maintaining a relationship. 


"Why must it be so hard to be happy for them?" Cathay questioned. "Why can't I just be glad that they have each other? Why is it that, instead, I just want to break something? Anything?!"


She truly did feel hopeless. 


Unbeknownst to the normally all-seeing Ruler, she was being watched. It wasn't until the front door closed did she become aware. 


"Because breaking things is so much easier when you're sad." Valerie explained. "Because it's a great way to distract yourself from what you're really feeling. Trust me, I would know."


Aware that she had caught the Ruler off guard, the human raised her hands in mock surrender, showing she meant no harm. To her surprise, Cathay hardly cared for the sudden intrusion. Instead she turned her sights back towards the sky. 


"I would have thought you'd stay by your brother's side." Cathay said. "Get to know his 'bride to be'. Catch up after a year apart." 


Valerie sat besides Cathay, more at ease than she likely should be. "Well, we have time after today to catch up. Besides, They've got their own plans tonight I'm sure. You on the other hand look like you're in need of a shoulder to cry on. So how about it? Penny for your thoughts?"


Sighing, Cathay pulled out the pockets of her coat. She didn't think she'd ever have to pay an Ape. "My apologies, I didn't craft this form with human currency in mind."


Valerie chuckled softly. "It's just an expression. I'm asking if you wanna talk about it, that's all."


For a moment, the briefest of flashes, there was a glimmer of hope in the Ruler's eye. A twinkle and little else, but a proper step forward. It faded just as quickly as it had come, and Cathay returned to her sulking. 


"The sentiment is appreciated, Human. Truly, it is. But… I'd much rather remain silent." These sorts of emotions were uncharted territory for her. Unfamiliar, and as such difficult to put into words. Just as some among mankind failed to comprehend Cathay's true splendor, she in turn failed to grasp some of their more basic emotions. 


Valerie, for her part, was surprised. Not from the decline in Cathay's mood, that was more concerning. Rather, her surprise came from being referred to as a human rather than a money; an Ape. It was a step up, even if her actual name wasn't used. That's what she'd call progress. 


Respecting the Ruler's wishes, and wishing to stay on their relatively neutral side, the two sat in silence and just observed the stars. There was hardly a sound to be heard. Not outside nor within the bar. Odds are Jason and Gilah did what they could for Adrian, and as such would soon depart. Fine by Valerie, she knew Jason could handle taking Ady home. He knew where he lived, and Gilah certainly had the strength to lift the slumbering man. 


Right now, Valerie's full focus was on the wounded Ruler. 


Minutes pass in silent serenity, an odd peace being felt despite recent events. Perhaps the feeling was not shared, but for Valerie she was quite enjoying the night breeze. Before, as she would walk drunkenly through the streets lamenting the disappearance of her brother, she had come to hate it. Now though, with him home safe and sound, she felt that her future had grown just a bit brighter. 


A shame that such a path was not mutual, as Cathay had just lost someone important to her. Even for Valerie, it was clear that Gilah's apparently permanent departure was affecting Cathay greatly. More than facial expression showed. 


"I'm… sorry for what I did to your friend…" Cathay finally spoke, apologizing for her previous action of swallowing Adrian alive. "I will wipe his mind of what he saw to ensure his sanity is mostly unscathed." 


A merciful act from the Ruler of the Depths, far from the being she was warned about. While Cathay still proved to be a TERRIFYING beast of unfathomable power, she's also shown to be more than that. There was no doubt in Valerie's mind that Cathay had done horrible deeds, but then so has Gilah. Or that's what she believed anyway, as they were both from the Depths. 


And from how both Depthborn were recently acting it was clear that their bloodied hands were not their sole defining traits. At least, that's what Valerie hoped. 


"Thank you. What you did was really messed up." Valerie responded, genuinely appreciative of Cathay offering a dear friend a helping hand. It was the least they could do after all. 


Once more, the two sat in silence. Neither really knew what to say, or actually had anything that needed to be said. Whatever could be brought up already has, and all that has been said has only served to contribute to Cathay's poor mood. Valerie wondered how long they'd be able to go on like this. 


Though she wouldn't say it herself, as the Ruler might just deject, Valerie knew well what they were feeling. She was very familiar with heartbreak and knew such pain would not fade away so easily. 


So, against her better judgment, a decision was made. 


"Do you wanna head back to my place?" Valerie offered. Once again throwing her arms up in self defense to show she meant no harm, the oldest Armitage was relieved to see that Cathay had not responded negatively. 


In fact, they even seemed curious. 


"What?" 


"I'm just saying, you seem kind of rough." Valerie explained. "I know some of your deal. You're the Ruler of the Depths, a big ole powerhouse of the cosmos. Lot of work for just one gal. And trust me, working right after getting your heart broken is the last thing you want."


Valerie offered the Ruler a hand as she stood up. Cathay looked on, puzzled. "So, what do you say? Don't think of this as anything other than avoiding your job. You'll feel a lot better afterwards, trust me." 


The Human had a point. Returning to the Depths, and by extension her duties, was far from appealing. Gilah always made the tasks she had bearable. Now, without the Leviathan by her side, it seemed harrowing. Perhaps it was just her mind overthinking things. She was one of the most powerful beings across totality. One of if not the most powerful Ruler in existence. Her power meant that any issue could usually be resolved with a thought. 


That said, the tedium of doing her duty without Gilah offering some form of reprieve sounded more hellish than the actual Hells themselves. 


With help from Valerie, Cathay stood up, more at ease than before. Exhausted, yes, but at least she wasn't sulking anymore. Once again, Valerie saw that as progress. 


"I suppose a single night here on Earth wouldn't hurt." The Ruler reasoned. "And there are a few things I'd like to get off my chest." 


Taking a hold of Cathay's hand, Valerie wasted no time in leading them to her apartment. "Talking is great, we can certainly do that. Maybe even watch a movie, order some food, just try to get your mind away from everything bad."


While sounding like very… human activities, Valerie's proposals didn't sound all too bad. Really, anything to take her mind off of duty and loss would be appreciated. 


"Yes, those sound acceptable" Cathay responded, much to Valerie's delight. 


It was just one night on this little mudball of a plant. 


In fierce yet surprisingly kind company. Not too horrible of a way to end a night. 


What's the worst that could happen?



Chapter End Notes:

First added chapter of the Springbreak, yeah! Just one more chapter to go for Love in the Depths! It's been a fun ride but we gotta get off at some point. Til then, hope ya enjoy!