- Text Size +

Drew awoke with a bit of a headache. He assumed it was all the hours he’d put in over the last two days adding E.M.P. protection and armor reinforcement to the robots.

A smile crossed his face as he gripped onto Gemma’s arms which tightly held him. It was the third morning he’d woken up in her arms with his head between her boobs as she lay there between Kiki’s even bigger boobs. He had to say, they had been the best well-rested nights of his life. Well, until this morning when he found that he still felt a little tired.

“Have a good night?”

At first, he thought it was Gemma who had spoken, but the lack of rumbling from beneath him let him know it was someone else.

He shuffled in Gemma’s grip to get a look at who it was and found Veronica standing in the middle of the warehouse with an amused expression on her face.

“Have a good night?” she repeated.

“It was okay, I guess,” he answered before he let out a wide yawn. “I would get up but I’m kinda in a bind.”

“I can see that. I’ll have to try that with Sarah. Looks comfy.”

“Got a thing for her?” Drew asked.

“No,” Veronica said a little too quickly. “Looks comfortable is all.”

“So, did you need me for something?” Drew asked.

“They’re back. Sekka, Glower, Amy, and Jack.”

Gently, Drew shook Gemma’s arm. “Gem. Amy, Jack, and the others are back.”

She gave him a squeeze before her arms relaxed. Drew used the opportunity to start wiggling out of her grip, which proved difficult. Eventually, he managed to squeeze himself free before he climbed down onto Kiki’s stomach, which roused the much larger Greenclaw.

“Is it morning?” Kiki asked with a yawn.

Drew waited until he had climbed off of her before he answered. “Yeah, it’s morning. Amy and the others are back.”

“Oh, that’s good,” she answered. “You clear?”

“Almost,” he said as he walked over to Veronica. “Clear now. Gem’s still asleep.”

“I’ll wait until she gets up,” Kiki said.

“And as soon as I know, I’ll come and tell you what they found out,” he said. “See you later, Keek. And give Gem my love when she wakes up.”

“Daww,” Veronica said grinning. “So adorable.”

Drew frowned at her. “Sure. Where are they?”

“Your office. Amy and Jack are, at least. Sekka and Glower went to the warehouse to get some rest.”

“That’s fine,” Drew said as he headed for the exit with Veronica walking behind him. “Do you know what they did while Jack and Amy were in town? I can’t imagine they just hung out in the bushes waiting for them to return.”

“No idea,” Veronica said with a shrug. “You’d have to ask them.”

“I might,” he said as they made their way across the factory floor and out the door on the far side.

“You know if they were successful?”

“In getting Jarik to go scout out that military base? I would think so.”

They made their way up the stairs, Veronica struggling slightly due to her large clawed feet. Soon, though, they were setting foot in the office where Amy and Jack were sitting waiting for them.

“How are you?” Drew asked as he moved around the other side of the desk and sat down.

“Good,” Amy answered. “Glad to be back.”

“Been up to anything good?” Jack asked.

“Just improving the protections on the robots,” Drew answered as he leaned back in his chair. “So, how did it go?”

Amy answered as she pulled out a crudely drawn map and flattened it out on the desk. “Jarik sketched the place and it looks pretty well fortified. There are at the very least fifty people with probably more inside. Turrets, robots, energy weapons and at least fifteen have power armor. He said he also saw some missile launchers and two mini-nuke launchers. They also have some Gutsies and at least a single Sentry bot.”

Drew steepled his fingers as he rested his elbows on the tabletop. It wasn’t good news, but it was what he had been expecting. Any conflict would have heavy losses and yet he knew that it was likely an unavoidable inevitability.

Jack continued the report. “They also attacked another caravan guarded by robots. The merchant managed to get away, but both his robots were knocked out with some kind of energy weapon. He thinks they took them because when he returned a while later they were gone. They left most of his stock behind.”

“They are actively declaring war on the whole region,” Drew said. “It’s like they think we can’t stand up for ourselves, but I’m gonna show them that error.”

“It’s a lot of people to fight,” Veronica pointed out. “Do you think we’re up to it?”

Drew swiveled in his seat and stood up as he stared out of the large grimy window. “Fifty to a hundred or more combatants with defense turrets and an unknown amount of robotic aid.”

“You agreeing, or…?” Veronica asked.

“I’m agreeing, it is a lot. Fatman launchers are definitely a problem. An all-out attack would be a stupid idea. What we need to do is whittle down their forces before we turn our attention on their main base of operations.”

“Do what to their forces?” Amy asked, confused.

“Whittle. It means…” He paused as he tried to think of what it actually meant. He knew it fit the context, but its exact meaning eluded him.

“I guess it means to pick away like a crow at a corpse,” he said. “We don’t have to wipe out their base, at least not yet. We start by taking out their patrols.”

Amy had an idea. “We could find out when a caravan is heading out and follow it at a distance. When they attack, we come in and kill them.”

Jack disagreed. “That’s a sure way to end up dead.”

Drew leaned back in his chair. “We’ll have to figure something out. If we work together with the caravans and scavengers then we have a better chance.”

“What about us Greenclaws?” Veronica asked.

“Not sure,” Drew answered honestly. “You’re still largely unknown to the local population beyond rumor and I think it might be best to keep it that way. For the time being at least.”

“One more thing,” Amy said. “Jarik thinks that they are a splinter faction of the Brotherhood.”

Drew nodded. “We already figured that much from what they said when Kiki, Gemma, Glower, and I went to blow up the vats. Or at least they believe they are continuing the true mission of the Brotherhood.”

“He also wanted to come here, but I managed to talk him out of it.”

“That’s good,” Drew said. “The last thing we need is anyone finding out about the Greenclaws before we’re ready. We don’t want to risk having to fight these Brotherhood types and the local settlements at the same time. In some ways, Charlotte is right. People will attack them out of nothing more than fear.”

They all fell silent as they heard heavy footsteps outside the office in the hallway. They all waited to see who was coming to see them and it didn’t take long to find out.

The doors swung open and Gemma ducked as she stepped inside, squeezing her large form through the doors.

“Good morning,” she greeted. “Good to see you made it back safe. What did you find out?”

Drew answered. “That there is a lot of them and they are well equipped.”

“That’s not good.”

“No. I’m going to have to have a meeting with Charlotte.” He pushed himself up onto his feet. “I just wish we didn’t have to do any of this.” He looked at Gemma. “I’ll have Kiki move back around to the main dispatch warehouse because I want her to hear this as well.”

Gemma gestured to the intercom. “Why not use that?”

“Because I want to speak to everyone in person. Though, I can make the call for everyone to gather, so good thinking.”

He pressed down the button. “This is Drew. I need everyone to report to the dispatch warehouse, that’s the main warehouse. I have an update on those power-armored zealots that we need to discuss. Again, I would like to see everyone in the dispatch warehouse. That is the one that you Greenclaws have been staying in if you didn’t know. Thank you.”

He released the button and addressed Gemma. “Let’s go fetch Kiki. The rest of you, head down to the warehouse.”

Understood,” Veronica said, leading the way.

Drew turned and took one last look out of the large bay window before he and Gemma followed the others out.

* * *

Everyone had gathered just like Drew wanted. Even Sarah and Suzy were there, and it didn’t escape his notice that the doctor was standing rather close to Veronica.

Charlotte peered down at him from high above, her presence felt by everyone in the room. “Now that everyone is present, I would like to know what you have discovered?” the behemoth of a Greenclaw asked.

Drew cleared his throat before he answered, speaking loudly and concisely. “There are a lot of them and the military base they have taken is well fortified. They’ve also attacked at least one more merchant caravan due to the robot guards. So far, they appear to be a bit more hostile than regular Brotherhood when it comes to tech which might just work in our favor.”

“And how did you come across this information?” Charlotte asked. “Does this have anything to do with that group that left the other day without my permission?”

Drew knew he’d have to explain himself, even though he knew he shouldn’t have to. She wasn’t in charge here. She was a guest and yet her size and power meant that she could take charge and she knew everyone else knew.

“It was important that we learned what we were up against. I had them hire Jarik to scope the place out.”

He noticed Charlotte’s right hand, Charan, straighten up a little, clearly recognizing the name.

Charlotte seemed unimpressed. “I could have sent one of my own.”

“Your own are very noticeable. Giant Deathclaws aren’t subtle and if there’s one thing that Jarik can be, it’s subtle.”

Charlotte grunted. “Some of us can turn invisible. Did you forget that fact?”

“No, but he’s still the best choice.” The truth was, he had forgotten, but decided not to reveal that fact.

Charan agreed with what he had said. “He’s right, Jarik is the best choice.”

Charlotte grunted a second time, clearly not pleased.

Drew continued. “Now we have somewhat of an idea of what we might be up against. I doubt they would send everyone to fight us and I believe that if they attack we can defend ourselves.”

Charlotte grunted again. “Waiting for them to attack us is a mistake. We should take the offensive.”

“That would be a huge risk, especially for you. You have no armor or weapons.”

Charlotte held up a colossal claw. “We have weapons. I rendered one of those power armored men nearly in two with this and crushed several others like you would a tin can. They would not stand a chance.”

While her confidence was inspiring, it was also foolish. Drew knew her size and power made her feel invincible, and he had to admit, if every Greenclaw was her size then she might have been onto something, but there was no way he was sending the others into battle without at least some armor.

Then Gemma came up with an idea. “While gathering the boxes from the warehouse, we found a crate full of those Assaultron head laser things.”

Drew looked at her as he began to think. That was a huge find. Assaultron lasers could possibly be jury-rigged into some kind of heavy weapons.

“I might be able to make something out of that,” he said. “There’s also some missile launchers left over from the Sentry bots. I might be able to do something with those, too.”

“And armor?” Veronica asked.

Jack raised his hand. “I’ve been working on something on and off with Sekka.”

“Yeah,” Sekka agreed. “Some basic armor for us smaller claws.”

“We don’t need human armor,” Charlotte said. “Or human weapons for that matter.”

“Speak for yourself,” Axa said. “I wouldn’t mind going into battle with a giant rocket launcher or something.”

“Regardless,” Drew continued, “having big powerful weapons that only the smaller claws can operate will be a huge advantage. It’s something I doubt they would ever expect.”

“Yeah, I doubt it, too,” Gemma agreed. “I’d love to see the look on their faces. I bet it would be a picture.”

Charlotte looked down at him. “Then there is no time to waste, is there?”

Drew nodded. “You’re right. The sooner we have weapons made for you the better we’ll be defended.”

Jack agreed. “And I’ll continue working with Sekka on making some armor pieces.”

“We’ll help,” Amy said.

Drew made his way to the factory floor followed by Gemma, Veronica, Amy, and Glower who, predictably, stayed close to Amy.

“Which crate holds the lasers?” he asked.

Gemma stepped over to a crate and pulled off the lid. “This one, I think.” She shook her head before taking the lid off the crate next to it. “No, it’s this one.”

Drew peered inside and grinned. “The things I could make with these. The only problem is energy, but I think you’re big and strong enough to carry a large battery pack. The only issue is that they can explode, so I’ll have to find a way to shield them.”

“What are you thinking of making?” Gemma asked, intrigued.

“I’m thinking of a rotating barrel like a Gatling laser. The main problem is heat, but these things have a long discharge time, so if they fire one by one, then by the time the last has fired the first will have hopefully cooled down. Might have to go into town to get some parts but that shouldn’t be too much of an issue.”

Veronica’s eyes started to sparkle. “The thought of carrying around a giant rotating death Gatling laser turns me on.”

“Eww,” Gemma said. “I did not want to know that.”

“Doesn’t it you?” Veronica asked. “Having a massive weapon in your hands to swing around?”

“It sounds like fun, sure, but I wouldn’t say it turns me on.”

“No, it’s Drew that turns you on,” Veronica said, grinning. “Any chance I could get into some of the action sometime?”

Gemma folded her massive arms and frowned. “There is no ‘fun’ to get in on.”

“You haven’t fucked yet?”

“None of your business!” Gemma snapped at her, her frown turning into a glare.

“Didn’t mean to rile you up,” Veronica said with a shrug. “But if you don’t hurry, I might try and steal him from you.”

“You wouldn’t dare,” Gemma seethed.

Drew interjected, fearing a fight might break out. “What about Sarah? Thought you had a thing for her?”

“Yeah, but she has absolutely no interest in me.”

“Neither does Drew,” Gemma stated.

“Worth a shot,” Veronica said with a shrug. “Just don’t let what you have slip away, Gemma. Drew is a catch in a million.”

“I know,” Gemma agreed, looking at him. “He is.”

Veronica glanced at the door. “Maybe I could get in with Jack and Sekka,” she said out loud. “Or maybe Amy. But I think Glower wouldn’t be too happy with that. She seems to have taken a shine to her.”

“Want my advice?” Drew asked.

“Sure, why not.”

“Don’t force these things.”

Veronica shrugged. “Can’t anyway. It was tough finding someone to love before, but now that I’m a horrifying monster, I think it will be a lot tougher.”

Drew looked at Gemma and then back to Veronica. “People find love in the strangest places. Once we’ve dealt with the Brotherhood, you’ll have plenty of time.”

“Sure, whatever you say,” Veronica said as she turned around and moved off. “I’m going to see what Sarah’s doing.”

They both watched her stalk out of the room. Drew felt bad for her. She was lonely, he could tell that much and due to her change, it would be next to impossible to find anyone that would be accepting of her. Hell, it would be difficult to find anyone that wasn’t absolutely terrified of her.

“I wish you the best,” Drew mumbled.

“So do I,” Gemma said. “I feel bad for her.”

“Yeah,” Drew said as he turned back to the crate. “Come on, let’s start building some weapons.”

It was going to be another busy day.