- Text Size +

This feels weird. There he is, sitting on the chair while the boss looks down at him. Quite literally.

Larry doesn´t know how to feel right now. He´s 4´10”, looking up at a 5’7” woman as if she was over seven -feet-tall! He feels small.

“Tell me,” Came Mrs. Davis sweet voice. “Was Cathy mean? Hmmm? Is she giving you a hard time?”

This attention, he can feel her affection beneath all this concern. Was it ok? Was it normal?

Clearly, Mrs. Davis is not treating him like she would with any other employee. In fact, her question is not really impartial. She´s taking his side, immediately blaming Cathy.

Is it cause he´s smaller? Does he give the image of a vulnerable man? He´s giving the impression of a weak man anyone can mess with? Does she mean Cathy was teasing him in order to make him feel less?

Was that the image he now gave? He can´t believe it. Still, it´s all in his head, she hasn´t said, or show she feels that way. She´s just looking after him.

 

He had no other choice than to speak. Or else, she may ask if Cathy threatened him not to. Things are really changing for him. Now, he looks like the guy who needs protection.

He spoke the truth, giving her the details of their, not so pleasant, chat on the elevator.

Mrs. Davis listened to him. Upset in some parts, but not any less attentive. She wanted to know, to understand.

“Who would like to mess with this little cutie?” she wondered as she paid close attention to his words.

 

He let it all out, except for Cathy´s words on the fact that he was banging the boss. Mrs. Davis didn´t have to know that. Besides, if these feelings she´s got for him, the ones she´s showing more now, if they are some crush or sexual attraction. He may be in big trouble.

Was Mrs. Davis married? Would she be capable of getting laid with him right then and there? If the answer to both questions was yes, then he can say goodbye to more inches. He´d feel kind of proud, but still upset.

 

He let out the whole fucking-the-boss stuff and changed it with the fact that Cathy said she, Mrs. Davis, treated him as if he was special.

“And then, well, she hopped off the elevator. It was so annoying. So… I was so tense, so stressed. Then I felt dizzy and…” Uh oh.

“Dizzy? Honey, did Cathy made you get stressed? Tell me, is she, somehow, the cause for you getting… smaller?” Mrs. Davis kept a record of his height, yesterday, he was 5´1”, today he´s 4’10”.

If something happened between yesterday and today, was that fight he had.

“Well…” he couldn´t lie, however, he couldn´t blame Cathy fully, even if he literally could and would. “I… I guess. I mean, we had this fight, and then… well, I just… shrank…” he let out the fact that Evangeline appeared and shrank him for cursing at her, but that´s something else he can´t tell.

“Oh my… is that why you shrink, honey? Because you feel stressed?” Mrs. Davis placed her hand over his head, trying to make him feel cared for. However, it only made him feel the enormity of her hand. So big.

 

He had no choice, he had to make up something. He was afraid she´ll send him home, or give him some days off. He didn´t want to be stuck at home, he wanted to live his life as it was. As it could still be.

“I don´t… think so. I mean, it could´ve happened just… randomly?” he tried to explain.

“Well, we can´t take more risks on that. I´ll keep my eye on you, and if stress is one of the main causes that cause your… spurts. You, mister, you´re going to take a few days off. Away from the office, away from stress, and mostly, away from those big, mean ladies. Understood?” her tone was firm, but caring.

“Yes, ma´am.” He replied.

 

He seemed so sad, and why wouldn´t he? He felt defeated. He felt as if he was truly ill and that some thing as casual as stress could end up affecting his life for real. He didn´t have a problem with stress, it´s just something that Mrs. Davis made up.

Perhaps, he could´ve explained things better. But now it was too late, she had made her mind, and when she does, nothing can change it.

“Aww, don´t feel so bad. Listen, Cathy´s just jealous. That´s it. So, what if she says I treat you different? That´s just her point of view. But honey, understand this, you ARE special. You are honest, hard-working, decided. Plus, you´re handsome. There´s not much men like that out there. Don´t let Cathy bring you down.” He wasn´t, he knew she was a bitch. But Mrs. Davis´s words were so nice.

Him? Special? It was nice of her to say so, but there was something else that made him think he was not the kind of “special” he thought. At least not for her. Seriously, why is she so nice? It seems, she wants something from him.

Calling Larry handsome, that was out of the blue, and not necessary part of what she needed to say. She said it because she felt it. Was she another milf who wanted to fuck him? He had to be careful.

 

“Ok now, you may get back to your office, Larry. But, sweetheart, understand this, if you need anything, at all, just give me a call, ok? I don´t have any problem with looking after one of my favorite employees.” She wanted to use another word, but she was keeping it professional, for now.

“Sure. T-thank you.” He replied, smiled, and went back to his office.

 

Once she was alone, she just let herself go.

“AWWWW, SO CUTE!” she thought as she wanted to scream those words.

“He´s so small now, and he´s looking up to me feeling so shy. How precious!” She was hoping stress was not what was shrinking him, but if it was, what´s wrong with him loosing some more inches? He´ll only get cuter, for her.

“Should I write a warning for Cathy…? Should I ask her back here? Why is she so mean with Larry? Can´t she see he´s under so much pressure? He´s going through so much, I can´t imagine a woman treating him bad. If it was up to me, I´ll make him feel better, with kisses, hugs. Aww, pamper the little guy with my love…” Yes, she was extremely sweet, sweet towards shorter men.

She can´t help it. She´s a powerful woman. She doesn´t want a big man to take control. No. She feels better around men who look up to her, who she can look after. To be the one who provides, the one on the lead. She likes a shy man who can acknowledge she´s the boss. Why is that? Because it´s easier for them to do what she says, make them follow her lead. A gentle lead.

“If he keeps shrinking, there´s no chance I can avoid putting him on my lap. I bet he fits by now…” She wants one type of love, one type of feeling. She likes to take the motherly role.

He seems so vulnerable, so frail. Her duty is to look after him, to protect him, to care for him. She´s sure he needs the love and attention only a mommy can give.

 

Larry went back to his office. Still getting used to his new height.

It didn´t make things easier to meet his amazonic assistant. Violet was enormous. Her hips were so wide, her legs so long, so thick. Upstairs, well above, her face revealed true concern.

She asked him how their meeting had gone. The usual, he replied. He didn´t want to give much details.

He didn´t want to spend so much time with Violet. The seven-inch difference with Mrs. Davis seemed like a whole foot! He didn´t want to be reminded he was smaller. He just wanted to finish, to wrap things for today and take things easy at home.

But he couldn’t.

 

He had to readjust his car´s sit before he headed back home. He was starting to find it hard to reach, but he was still capable of operating the vehicle. This was getting too sour.

Nonetheless, he made it home. Safe and sound.

 

He hopped off the car and decided to lock himself, go straight to bed and try to forget he even existed. Was this the lesson Evangeline wanted to teach him? He felt like trash, was this supposed to be?

He was at the bottom, the very bottom. Or that´s how he felt.

 

“Larry!” Came a voice from behind. He just sighed; he knew who she was.

He turned to meet Nellie, who was kind of running towards him.

Her smile faded as she made her way. She realized something, Larry seemed smaller.

“Oh my… did you…?” He just nodded.

 

“My… Larry, you´re so short!” She declared, as if he needed to be reminded.

“I know, but before you ask, I´m feeling fine, ok? Now…” he thought she´ll ask something like that, but she proved him wrong.

“Did you drove here? By yourself?” That was weird.

“Well… yes.” He said.

“Can you still reach? Larry, it could´ve been dangerous!” she was worried. Another woman worried for him, he´s so lucky… annoyed.

“Don´t worry, I´ve been driving for years now, besides, it´s the same path I´ve always…” she shifter her position.

She stood in a more stern way, crossing her arms under her chest and looking at him while rising an eyebrow. “Have you always been this tall?” she wanted to make a point.

“Well, no but…”

“Is it the same?” she bent over, “Is it as easy?”

“It… kind of…”

“Kind of? Larry, if you keep getting shorter, then there´s no way you can drive. You could get hurt, or even, you could get other people hurt. Just think about it, what if you shrink while driving? Tell me. Would it give you time to hit the brake? To park? You can cause an accident.” She seemed stern, but rather preoccupied. Still, he felt kind of lectured.

“I…”

“I think it would be better if you stop using your car.” Nellie declared.

“WHAT?!”

 

Was she for real? His car? She was telling him not to use his car? Was this like a suggestion? It doesn´t feel much like it.

To him, it seems like Nellie was just stating the facts. She may be right, he could cause an accident if he happened to be driving while this shrinking takes place. But Evangeline won´t put his, or others, lives in danger. However, he can´t tell Nellie his guardian angel wouldn´t do such a thing, that´s crazy.

 

“Ok, ok. Tell me, why should I stop driving? I still can. I mean, how else would I get to work? Or come back here?” she was just worried; he can convince her this is fine. Besides, this could be a much bigger inconvenient.

“Well… I could… I could drive you.” She said, actually considering it as a good idea.

“You? Drive me to work?” why would she bother?

“Yeah, and I can go pick you up too.” Now, it seems she´s happier. As if she really likes the idea.

“Are you serious?” he asked.

“Definitely. In fact, why don´t you hand me your keys.” She extended her hand.

This was so sudden, so unexpected. And yet so real.

“My keys? Nellie, you can´t be serious.” She was taking away his car? His car!

“I´m serious, now give me the keys. Believe me, I´m only doing this for your own good.”

 

His own good? Why would she say something like that? Larry was sure this was no joke, else, she would´ve already been showing signs of laughing. But no. Her face was dead serious.

But really, who does she think she is? She can´t just pop out of nowhere and revoke his use of the car. She´s just the neighbor, even, she´s just the neighbor´s niece. And she´s got the nerve to come and try to impose herself.

 

“Larry, come on.” She moved her fingers rapidly.

Larry wasn´t giving. This wasn´t right, this didn´t feel right. Why would she want to take his keys? Is this a way of hers to steal his car? To have her for her own?

 

“Aww, she´s just trying to look after you, how nice…” came Evangeline´s whisper inside his head.

As he was looking up and Nellie, and she stood quietly, trying to take his keys; well, trying to make him give her the keys. Evangeline spoke a few words.

“I think you should hand her the keys. Believe me, she´s just trying to help. In her very own way, but I too believe you don´t have it so easy with your car…” this can´t be happening.

Two women, well, a woman and a female angel, agreed he should no longer drive his car. The one he paid for, the one he chose, one he´s taken such good care of.

 

“But… don´t you think it´ll be a burden to drive me to and from the office? I mean, why would you bother?” He was trying to persuade her. He knew that denying and just turning his back may had some repercussions on his height. But if he can convince her, then…

“Trust me, it´s no problem. Now, the keys…” Nellie wasn´t giving.

“Listen, we… why don´t… Listen, Nellie. I´ve had a long, hard day. And… right now I would like to just… get in my place and lay in bed. I… I feel bad. I´m… look at me! I´m not even five-foot-tall anymore. A lot of my height has been taken away. Please, Nellie, please don´t take my car away too…” was he begging? Pleading?

He had no other choice, he wasn´t lying. He can´t take it, to lose his car. This whole shrinking was messing up his life. BIG TIME.

Nellie sighed. Finally lowered her hand. She didn´t want to torture him, of make him feel bad. But she was not giving up that easy. She had made up her mind, she will just postpone it.

“Fine. I… I´m sorry, Larry. I was just trying to look after you. I´ll let you keep the car.” Why wouldn´t she? Seriously, this wasn´t really up to her. But he couldn´t speak up that part of his mind. “BUT, it will be ONLY if… only if you´re still over… 4´8”, that´s right. I´m setting a limit.” Wow, she was determined.

“Listen, our deal is, you will hand me your keys, nicely, if you go below 4´8”, ok?” This was more of a deal than proving his point, but he was fine.

“Ok.” He said. Not really happy, but at least she will leave him alone.

 

“Larry, I know I seem… annoying. But believe me, I´m doing this only because I´m trying to look after you. I know things are hard for a man with your… condition. But you must accept that some things have to change, and that some people are just trying to help you.” She was easy now, kind, attentive.

“I know… it´s just that… well, I… I don´t like how things are getting.” He declared, speaking his truth.

“It´s hard, I know. But listen, I´ll go back inside, if you need anything, just give me a call, ok?” He nodded.

 

Nellie left, without his keys. He felt relieved in that aspect. But still, he doesn´t feel quite that good. He kept his keys, but he wasn´t sure if he kept his pride. He´s feeling kind of bad for rejecting her, but she wanted to take his car. HIS CAR. She must know this isn´t just anything.

He wanted to get in his house and just forget about everything. But it won´t be so easy.

 

“Oh, Lawrence…” Came Evangeline´s, kind of sad, voice.

She just came up, and as he saw her now imposing silhouette standing in the receiver, he knew something was wrong.

“She was just trying to help. She doesn´t want you to het hurt. She was willing to make an effort, for you. To help you. But…” she rose her hand, and then snapped her fingers. “You didn´t listen.”

Larry could feel his frame getting smaller. The things he had barely seen inside, things he was barely getting used to, they were rising. Taller, bigger. He was shrinking, again.

Twice in a day. He couldn´t believe it. How short will he get now?

 

“She explained you. She tried to persuade you, to convince you. But you refused to listen. Lawrence, is your car that important? Don´t you think there are more important things than the material ones?” Evangeline continued as he finally settled on his new, and shorter, size.

“I… but she… she can´t take my car…” He asserted.

“Well, now she can. I believe she said you should be taller than 4´8”, now… I don’t think your 4´7” height is above that range.” 4´7”? He was down to 4´7”?

He felt overwhelmed. He nearly stumbled. This couldn´t be happening. Just yesterday he was above 5´, and now, now he´s half way down to 4´.

“Larry, I know this is hard. You were doing so good. Why can´t you accept the fact that people are only trying to help you. Even I came to advice you that you should listen to her. But you refused to. Now, there´s no way you can´t. Next time you see her, you´ll have to give her your keys.”

“This is unfair.” He wanted to scream, to yell. But it was useless.

“Don´t think of it that way. I told you this is a lesson, and you´re not doing so well with it. But I´m sure that, from now on, you will pay attention to what every woman says. Right? And if you´re uncertain, you can always call my name. You know I´m always around.” At least she was being kind. After she took three inches away from him. But he´d rather see her kind side than having her disappear.

 

Evangeline was officially a whole foot taller. She was looming so high above him. But he didn´t have time to check on her imposing figure. He felt devastated.

Evangeline left, leaving a much shorter and more defeated Larry behind. How will things be at work now? Does he have to go back there? After loosing another three inches? He had to. He didn´t want to be defeated. He was still a man, he was still the confident man he used to be when he was 6´1”. He can´t let this beat him.

It will be hard, yes. Now he´s eighteen inches shorter. But he´s still the same man, the same Larry. He´s the boss. And no one can take that away from him. Except Mrs. Davis. But she´s kind to him, and so is Violet.

They are kind, attentive. He can´t say he´s got no friends at the office.

 

Things were changing in his life. A lot. Not only his size, apparently, everyone around was treating him different too. He felt underestimated, belittled. But he can´t let that happen. He´ll prove everyone he´s still the boss. The big man.

He was decided. He picked his phone and sent Violet a message. Tomorrow, there will be a meeting. A meeting with all of the people on the floor. All of his subordinates, the staff. He will give them a few words, to encourage them. To inspire them.

To show them he´s still the same ensured man he was. The fact that he´s short doesn´t mean he can´t be confident. It doesn´t mean he can no longer do his job. He´ll call a meeting to prove everyone that height´s just a number. That inside, he´s still as big as he was when he was tall.

He doesn´t want to intimidate, or make anyone feel inferior to him. He just wants them to understand he´s fine. He´s healthy, he´s capable. That his “condition” can´t stop him.

There´s no obstacle he can´t beat.

 

However, now that he thinks about it. Things may be a little different. He had to hop a little to get over the couch. Will he need a stool tomorrow? No way, that will seem demeaning.

A podium? Now that he thinks about it, he left a lot of things aside. But he had already sent Violet the message. There was no turning back.

“Chill, Larry, chill…” he spoke to himself as he laid on the couch. A couch that seemed as big as a bed now. “Just relax, take things easy. Give yourself a little break. Then, write down some lines of inspiring words for the employees. It´s been a while since I gave them a talk. Everything will be fine.”

Will it?

Chapter End Notes:

You can get a couple chapters ahead on my patreon, here´s a link:

https://www.patreon.com/Mine1234