- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The reception from my friends has kept me going, so I wanted to put out another chapter before my inevitable burnout. Thank you to those who encourage me to keep writing onwards, I was nervous you wouldn’t like it. Without further ado…

Jacob was unsure of how much time had passed. The now familiar rhythm of gripping and releasing was almost comforting to him as he was pulled against her socked digits, then slammed into the leather insole of the boot. Well, as comforting as torture could be. Each step pushed his body to the limit, to which he now was unable to feel much past his neck. He was sure that he was bruised and battered at this point, and doubt he could even run if he wanted to. The steamy sock pushed into, almost as if to solidify this point as more grime covered his body, the sweat pushing out of the presumably once white sock.

After what felt like ages of walking later, Jacob could overhear a conversation just barely, the rhythming footfalls becoming slower and slower as he heard a big sigh from above. Anna slowly pried off her boot, a gust of cold fresh air flooding into the boot causing him to shake in the drastic change in temperature. His lungs felt like they were burning as the cold tavern air filled his breath, slowly breathing in and out. Soon after, the familiar hand of his captor reached in, and Jacob did not fight this time.

“Oh? What’s wrong? No mouth on you this time?” Anna teased, pouting as she dropped him onto the wooden bedside table. A gasp of air pushed out of Jacob’s dry mouth as he tried to croak out some form of answer to his tormentor, instead coughing up the last bit of sweat choking him. “Hmm… thought you were supposed to be some form of pirate. I couldn’t imagine you outrunning a child, much less any guards.”

Jacob tried to pull himself up to a sitting position, but instead winced from the surge of pain that shot up his body at the slightest movement. “Stupid-” He didn’t have time to continue the thought before getting the wind knocked back out of him by a sharp flick to his chest. If he didn’t feel anything below his neck before, he did now. It stung as if a heavy weight was thrown into his chest.

“Would you like to continue that thought, or will you be aiding me as your contract states?” Anna started to pry off the plates of her armor, then followed by the mail, a simple tunic and pants remaining after discarding them to the side. It was clear that she had been walking through rain and mud, and was more than eager for this conversation to be over. “I don’t mind you spending another day in my boot, though your body looks like it’s going to fall apart.”

Jacob only nodded, wanting to flinch as Anna held her hand above his body. A familiar glowing circle hovered away from her hand as his joints slowly moved back into place. The entire process felt gruesome, but he could finally feel his body once more, sitting up.

“I just don’t really understand why someone like you would need to flee the country.” Jacob croaked out, presented with the cap of a canteen. He took a desperate sip, letting out a small sigh as he continued his thought. “Not to mention, you were wandering around in your own armor. Isn’t that a little bit suspicious?”

Anna opened her mouth to argue, but simply nodded. “Would’ve had more time to sort these things out if I wasn’t stuck carrying my guide in my boot.” She fished into her bag to pull out a large cloak, holding it in her hand. “Thoughts?”

“That just kinda screams ‘Mysterious Stranger’ to me.” Jacob’s stomach grumbling was greeted with a small chunk of cheese, much to his pleasure. “I have a few ideas though…”

***

Anna was dressed in typical pirate gear, only missing a flintlock and a proper cutlass. Which was to mean, most of the reasonable clothes she had was mostly haphazardly torn, while she covered her face with a bandana.

“I look stupid.”

“Are you saying that I look stupid normally?” Jacob scoffed.

“Maybe.” Anna picked him up with a grin, depositing him onto her shoulder. “There! My parrot! Squawk for me!”

“I’d rather die.”

“That could be arranged.” Anna set him back down onto the bedside table, taking a seat on the bed. “To answer your question from before, I wish to leave the land. I want to experience new things, and I don’t want to be followed everywhere I go, or for people to constantly fear my presence. I want to heal the land I tore apart. Isn’t that enough?”

Jacob was at a loss for words, simply nodding as he turned to face away from the giant knight. “Well. You better get some rest for now. You’ll need the energy for tomorrow.”

Anna simply smiled.


Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading once again, hope the rest of your day is well!