- Text Size +

17 year old Ralph was experimenting with his time machine after many of Miss Corlani’s lessons, when there was a knock on the door. He opened it to a beautiful adult woman, with short blond hair and a dark blue coat and matching short skirt.

"Hello, are you about to time travel?" she asked.

"How did you know about that?"
"Because to me, you've already done it. 18 months ago, you walked over to my back door, knocked on it and asked me the date. I thought it was an odd question, until you explained that you had come from this year. You showed me your time machine, and I believed you were a time traveller. We then began the greatest older woman / younger man romance of all time, which went for two months. In that time, you suddenly shrank and thought it was a side effect of time travelling. I continued our romance, until I decided to eat you, and insisted on doing it. Then, after two years and one month, I began to think it would be better if our love affair hadn't happened. That's when I thought of warning you not to do it. If you don't time travel, you'll save yourself from being eaten."

"And I'd miss out on the love affair with you," he said, "Maybe it's worth it. I've never had a girlfriend, and you are very beautiful."

"Do you mean you'd go back and face the certainty of becoming my dinner, for the sake of a two month romance?"
"Yes, I think I will."

"I felt certain I would talk you out of it. You must think a lot of me."

"Yes, I think I do."

"I'm very flattered," she said, "And I wish you the best of happiness with my younger self."

She kissed his cheek and watched him go into his time machine and vanish.

He arrived in the past and went to knock on her back door. She wore a black shirt and a long white skirt.

Everything went as he'd heard, until the day he shrank, and she continued to kiss him to sleep at nights, until one day he had an idea.

"She hasn't decided to eat me yet, and she doesn't know I'm aware of it. I can escape before the day she does or did it. Then I can get back to my own house and work on an antidote to my shrinking problem, if there is one. Maybe Miss Corlani could help. My younger self was still at school in the daytime of this past year. So I'll have the place to myself."

He snuck out of her house and walked all the way to his own place, and slipped under the door. It took him most of the afternoon to climb the carpeted stairs. When he was two thirds of the way up, the door at the foot of the stairs opened, and she came in from the porch. "Of course!" he thought, "She's brought my house key over. It was in my old clothes from before I shrank."

She called through the house:

"Ralph, did you come over here? It's the only place I could think of to look for you. We need to have a talk."

She was wearing a lovely red and black design skirt, and a red shirt.

"Oh no!" he thought, "It was today. I've thought of attempting to change the past too late. If she finds me, I'm done for."

She looked around in the downstairs rooms, calling for him, and then returned to the foot of the stairs, and started walking up them. There was nowhere to hide. She drew closer and saw him, and towered in front of him.

"Didn't you hear me call?" she asked.

"I… err… I did. Did you hear me?"

"No. I guess your tiny voice is too soft. I need to talk to you."

She picked him up and took him to his bedroom.

Now it would all happen the way she had warned him. He would discover the dialogue which accompanied the experience.

"I'm going to do something I've been thinking about since you shrank. I had avoided it so far, because of our romance, but that will come to an end. I know you won't like it, but I am going to eat you for dinner."

"I … can't stop you," he said.

"Well we've got a couple of hours until dinner time. Let's lie here and have a final talk together."

Soon she took him home to her dining table and prepared for the meal.