- Text Size +

17 year old orphan Garfield had just inherited his late grandmother's house. He was one of the secret time travel class run by Sandra Corlani, and was also an ace English student who had written some books and submitted them to a publisher A woman from a publishing company telephoned to say that she had reviewed his manuscript and wanted to come over and go through some suggested alterations with him.

She arrived around 9am on the Saturday morning.

"Hello. It’s nice to meet you in person at last. I've been a publisher's editor for years, and worked with several successful authors. I was at home a year ago, when something odd happened, something I thought was scientifically impossible. So I'm very interested in your science fiction novel. It struck a chord. With a few modifications, we should be able to publish it."

They worked on it all morning. The woman was very beautiful, and had a happy effervescent smile all the time.

They finished the book at 12:10, and he asked if she'd like to stay for lunch. After the meal, he took her on a tour around the house.

When he showed her the upstairs balcony, she said, "It's a lovely spot up here. Do you bring your girlfriends up here?"

"I haven't had a girlfriend yet," he said.

She brought her head closer, and kissed him happily.

He put his arms around her and she did the same.

After several seconds, she withdrew her lips and asked, "What did you think of that?"

"The best moment of my life."

She invited herself into his lounge room, where they kissed and cuddled.

"I knew I loved you, as soon as you arrived," he said.

"But you don't know me. Do you remember that scientifically improbable thing I told you about, that happened last year? I was at my house one day. I go there to read manuscripts in peace. One day I arrived and sat down in the garden to read. It's not far from here actually, just a block or two away. After half an hour or so, I heard a rustling noise in the garden, and saw something move. I could have sworn it was a tiny boy. Then I stood up, walked over and searched the garden, until I saw him again. I asked if there were any other little boys like him.

He said no, that he had been shrunken by someone, and was a normal sized boy before then. I told him that, in that case, I would eat him for dinner the following night. After an eventful two days, I did just that. Do you still love me, knowing that?"
"I can't help it," he said, and kissed her.

She let him set up his scientific experiments in her spare room. He had a special tiny engine he had designed to run a time machine, but had not been able to build one.

He became her boyfriend, and would visit her often. One day he was followed by the mischeivous Ellie Blish from his school. (She had gained possession of one of Colleen’s earlier shrinking devices and had been using it to amuse herself by shrinking boys from her school. See earlier chapters of this book.)

Ellie waited until Garfield had run the publishing editor’s doorbell, and then fired the shrink ray at him. He heard her giggle, turned and dwindled to tiny size, and then heard his older girlfriend approaching the door from the inside.

Ellie ran off, laughing as she went. The editor opened the door.

"You're as small as the boy I ate," she said.

"Does that mean you're going to eat me?" he asked, "It wasn't meant to do this."