- Text Size +

Chapter 19: Execution of a Plan


The day before the Saturday when the Vernal Equinox would occur which would be the day that Morgan was set to unleash her plan, Alexa was in her dorm with Carl, when Hellion knocked on the door. Alexa invited her in.


"I wanted to talk to you about something," said Hellion.


"What?" Alexa asked.


"Speaking for myself and a few other members of Verso, we don't like the idea of Morgan trying to take over."


"Why the sudden change of heart?" Alexa asked.


"When I was younger, I thought the idea of taking over the world was a good idea, mainly because everyone I knew was into it. But now that I've put some thought into it, I don't think I want to change the world into a monarchy. I like the world the way it is. If you have a plan for helping Victoria overthrow Morgan, I and a couple of other people would like to help."


"I changed my mind about helping Morgan, also," said Alexa. "I'll try to contact her. Go and get the other people who are on your side."


While Hellion went to get the others, Alexa went into the bathroom and looked into the wall mirror where she had been contacted by Victoria Valerius. She stuck her hand through the mirror, and it disappeared into it. Alexa stepped through, and the room spun around, giving her vertigo as it had done the other times when she had been contacted by Morgan Lefevre. Victoria entered the room.


"Victoria," Alexa asked, "how is your plan to stop Morgan going?"


"I need your help," said Victoria. "I can't stop her from using her alternate timeline generator, but I can use an electromagnetic pulse weapon to destroy the reality splicer so she can't splice our future with the future of the new reality she's going to create."


"What do you need me to do?" Alexa asked.


"I have three devices," said Victoria, "one will destroy the reality splicer, one will erase any schematics of the reality splicer, and another device will erase the memory of the schematics of the reality splicer from Morgan Lefevre's mind. I will need three of you to do this, preferably all members of Verso house."


"Hellion is against Morgan's plan, and she knows of a couple of other people who are on your side, as well."


"Great!" said Victoria. "Go get them, and bring them here, so I can carry out my plan."


Alexa returned through the mirror and met up with Hellion, who had just returned from the Verso common room with two of her friends, Ion and Flux. Alexa brought them to the bathroom, but they couldn't step through the mirror, because it was programmed to only allow Alexa to enter. When she passed through again, she got the three devices from Victoria, but before she could carry them back through the mirror, Victoria gave her instructions.


"You need to take one of Morgan's scout ships to the Equator, and bring those other girls with you. You must plant the electromagnetic pulse weapon against one of the bulkheads of the outer hull of the reality splicer. It has a cloaking device that will be activated once you turn it on, so it will be hidden from view and undetectable by Morgan's technology. It will destroy the reality splicer once Morgan tries to turn it on."


"What about the device that will erase the memory of the computers?" Alexa asked.


"While you are on the scout ship, Hellion could be uploading the computer virus into the scout ship's mainframe computer. This will cause a cascade effect, wiping out the schematics on all of her computers. She won't know how to get that information back again!"


"What is the next step?" Alexa asked.


"You must enter the office and speak to Morgan, and turn this device on when you enter. It has been keyed into her unique chromosome pattern, and will selectively wipe out her memories of how the reality splicer works."


"Why do we have to do everything?" Alexa asked. "Don't you have an army or something?"


"We rely on an android army, and Morgan used a computer virus to shut all of them down. She struck when we were defenseless!"


"But why do me and some of my friends need to carry out your plan?" Alexa asked.


"I had to single handedly manufacture these devices," said Victoria. "You and me and whoever is choosing to help you are all that stand in the way of stopping Morgan Lefevre!"


"Okay, I'll do it," said Alexa.


"Make sure you use the mind control device on Morgan after you plant the device on the reality splicer and erase the schematics on the scout ship mainframe," said Victoria.


"Okay!" said Alexa, and she thrust the three devices into her backpack and returned through the mirror.


Hellion, Ion and Flux were waiting for her in the bathroom when she emerged on the other side. Alexa explained the plan, and gave the other two devices to Ion and Hellion.


"Put them in your backpacks, we need to fly to the Equator," said Alexa. "I'll meet with Morgan to get permission to use a scout ship, you three meet me in the Verso common room when I return."


Alexa walked to the headmistress's office, and met with Morgan.


"I would like to take a scout ship to the Equator, to show some of my friends the reality generator."


"You already have my permission," said Morgan. "I already told you that you could take one of my scout ships."


"Thanks, I just wanted to let you know where I was going," said Alexa.


When Alexa returned to the Verso common room, she met with Hellion, Ion and Flux. "We're clear for takeoff!"


Once the four of them were strapped into the seats in the scout ship, Alexa told the autopilot to take them to Morgan's base on the Equator in the Andes mountain range of Colombia. The autopilot did as it was told, and they rose vertically into the air and headed southeast, toward Colombia.


When they arrived, Alexa contacted the computer controlling the base and had it lower the force fields surrounding the site, then the scout ship touched down on the landing pad. The gull wing door opened vertically. When Alexa and the others exited the scout ship, they were met by members of Morgan's android army. The leader checked with Alexa, and she was able to confirm that they were there with Morgan's permission.


The girls walked around, and Alexa pointed out where the reality splicer was located. It was in a spot that would take some care to reach; whoever decided to plant the electromagnetic pulse weapon would need to do some climbing. Ion volunteered, and climbed up and planted the device. She activated it, and it disappeared from view, just as planned. When she was done, she climbed down. Now it was Hellion's turn to plant the computer virus that would wipe out the memory files of the reality splicer device. They went back to the scout ship to do this, just as Victoria had told Alexa, and Alexa had repeated the instructions to Hellion.


"I've succeeded," said Hellion. "Alexa, now you have to complete the final step of the plan. You're closest to Morgan, you have to use the mind control weapon on her!"


They strapped themselves into their seats and Alexa told the autopilot to take them back to the academy. They got clearance from the base computer that the force fields were lowered, and they rose vertically into the air. They arrived back on campus not too much later.


When the other girls returned to the Verso common room, Alexa activated the device in her backpack and headed into Morgan's office.


"Did you need something?" Morgan asked.


"Do I need to come with you tonight to set of the reality generator on your base on the Equator?" Alexa asked.


"It wouldn't be the same without you," said Morgan. "You'd better get some rest, we set off the device at 2:37 a.m. our time, so set your alarm for midnight."


"Okay," said Alexa, and she got up to leave.


Alexa returned to the Verso common room, where there were mixed results as far as the reaction of the students. A small group seemed happy that Alexa was turning against Morgan, but most of the others were unhappy with Alexa. Hellion approached Alexa.


"I feel bad about what we just did, I think I should inform Morgan," said Hellion.


"Are you kidding?" Alexa asked. "Victoria said we're the only ones who can stop her!"


"Exactly," said Hellion. "If the odds are so stacked against Victoria, then if we just did nothing, Morgan would win. We really could rule the world some day!"


"But all ephemerals would be enslaved," said Alexa. "I have friends who are ephemerals!"


"I'm informing Morgan," said Hellion, as she spun around and headed for the front door.


Alexa whipped out her neutrino dissimilator and pointed it at Hellion. "Take one more step toward that door, and I shrink you!"


Two other Verso students pulled their neutrino dissimilators on Alexa. "Drop it!" said one of them.


Ion and Flux pulled out their neutrino dissimilators and aimed them at the students who were pointing theirs at Alexa. "You drop yours first!" Ion shouted at the boy.


Flux, while aiming her neutrino dissimilator at one of the students aiming their weapon at Alexa, spoke to Hellion: "Go with Alexa to her dorm room and talk this over."


Hellion did as she was told, and Alexa followed her to her dorm.


Once they were inside Alexa's dorm, Alexa started shouting at her.


"We've come this far, Hellion! Why should we stop now?"


"I could say the same thing to you!" Hellion replied. "We're this close to world domination!" Hellion had her index finger and thumb close toogether for emphasis. "Do you know it would feel to walk down the street and be seen as a race of gods by the ephemerals?"


"Then why did you agree to help me?" Alexa asked. "You should've stayed completely out of this. If Morgan finds out what we did, there will be consequences for both of us, regardless of whether you take her side again!"


Hellion sat abruptly down on Alexa's bed. "I hadn't thought of that, I did help you, if she finds out, she could do anything to me."


"The reality generator goes off after midnight tonight, around 2:37 a.m. so we won't have to wait long to find out if Victoria was successful!"


"But what if Victoria isn't successful?" Hellion asked. "What will happen to us?"


"Either way, Morgan will succeed in generating a parallel reality," said Alexa. "Verso house will get what they want, a world to rule over. Victoria couldn't stop all the contingencies of Morgan's plan."


Hellion stood up and paced the room. "I never should have gotten involved! I don't know why I can never make up my mind, I should've stayed on Morgan's side in all of this!"


"Well, no matter what happens, we're in this together," said Alexa. "We haven't always seen eye to eye, but we did accomplish something together."


"I guess you're right," said Hellion. "It was stupid of me to try to inform Morgan, when I'm just as guilty as you!"


The two of them got up and exited the dorm, and headed back to the Verso common room. When they arrived, the other students were back to normal.


"Did the two of you come to an agreement?" Ion asked. "Yes," Alexa replied, "Hellion is just as guilty as me, and she would be telling on herself if she told on me."


"I hope this plan of Victoria's works out," said Ion. "Because if it doesn't, we're going to have a lot of problems with Morgan."


"I'll go talk to Victoria," said Alexa. "I need to inform her that we accomplished our mission."


Alexa turned and walked back to the bathroom, and entered the wall mirror. She experienced vertigo as the room turned around on her, but it subsided once she was completely on the other side. Victoria emerged.


"Did you accomplish your mission?" Victoria asked.


"Yes, we planted the electromagnetic pulse weapon and erased the files of the reality splicer schematics from the scout ship mainframe, and I used that mind control device on Morgan, but Hellion regrets helping us. She almost told on us! What will happen to us if you fail to defeat Morgan?"


"I don't know," said Victoria. "The consequences could be grave, but without your help, we never could've succeeded. I thank you for that."


"What good is destroying the reality splicer if she's going to succeed in generating an alternate reality?" Alexa asked.


"There would have been no way of destroying all of her equipment without her knowing," said Victoria. "Trust me, this was the only way.