- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Alistair goes to watch Maxine's game.

Hope you enjoy!

Blaring klaxons signalled that the explosive atmosphere was about to increase tenfold. Since I was late I’d only been able to snag a seat at the top of the rafters. Contently, I sat on the bleachers while the sports crazed lunatics around me launched to their feet as our team began to run out. One by one, athletic girls dressed in our school colours of red and white poured from the locker room, mostly girls I’d seen in the halls every now and then but none I knew by name. Until the reason I was here half-skipped, half-jogged her way out.

The bold red two on Maxine’s jersey conformed as she raised her arms to hype the crowd, their cheers reaching a new level of volume. No less than two weeks ago, I’d have rolled my eyes at the braggadocios display, and honestly, I still kind of wanted to. Yet, after our brief interactions my cynicism had forged a somewhat fond feeling for her, it was entirely foreign and made my stomach uneasy. Almost enough to make me join the clapping and cheering.

Maxine’s team began to warmup as I eyed her from afar, certain she wouldn’t be able to pick me out in the sea of students. The expectedly baggy jersey clung to her protruding assets and her sculpted legs disappeared into long white crew socks that led to chunky white Nike basketball shoes. If their gym-turned-stadium hadn’t been filled with shouting fanatics, the impact of the athletes leaping and sprinting would be enough to shake the stands.

I used to watch NBA games with my brother all the time, as I got older, I lost interest as other activities began to take up my time. I’ll always remember the excitement of a playoff game though. Even if the quality of the match tonight wasn’t up to scratch it was admittedly still just as exciting, eh, who am I kidding about quality, I can barely hit a layup myself.

The two teams began to take their places on the court, Maxine was starting obviously. Two girls from either side took their place in the centre of the court and with another blaring airhorn the game had begun.

Back and forth the match went. Both teams were clearly talented, it was the semi final after all. Yet, there was still one player who stood above the rest. Maxine would drain a three then next play cut inside for an open layup and the cycle repeated itself. I was beginning to understand the adoration from my classmates for her ability, she was insanely talented. Between her scoring prowess, the giant grin she’d flash after a particularly great play and the constant barking of orders to her teammates, a feeling of pride swelled inside me. That’s the girl who invited me here.

Once the fourth quarter had begun, our team began to run away with it (god, look at me referring to them as ‘our’ team). Maxine was on a scoring tear after hitting back-to-back threes, she said she was gonna drop 30 for me, but she’d surpassed that benchmark halfway through the third. Not that I was counting.

The game ended uneventfully as Maxine continued her dominance on the court, ending the game with a 20-point lead and a hearty layer of sweat. The other team left the stadium with their heads low as their grand final chance was dashed. I quietly clapped for them as the rest of my peers shouted obscenities and celebratory chants, where was the sportsmanship people?

I waited around for a little while, surrounded by the buzzing chatter of the crowd as our team eventually walked off into the change rooms. My own excitement began to dissipate as I realised that was the last I’d see of Maxine for the week. She was probably busy with the team anyway.

Collecting my thoughts, I started to make my way out of the stadium until everyone got the same idea and clogged the stairways. Slowly, but surely the crowd dispersed into the cool night, I meandered behind the crowd, mindlessly scrolling through twitter.

A loud clank startled me.

“Hey, you came!” Maxine’s joyous voice perked my ears.

I turned, “yeah, you played great,” I tried my best to return her enthusiasm.

Maxine walked right up to me, her sweaty hair tied back in a bun, she was still clad in her jersey with a gym bag hanging from her shoulder. A thick sheen of perspiration coated her body and her face was returning from a flushed shade of red. “Nah, it was no sweat, we’ve beaten them before.”

It was certainly some form of sweat, her body radiated warmth. “You dropped 30, you know, like you said you would,” I slid my hands awkwardly into my pockets.

She smiled at my recollection, “46, actually, but thanks.”

I returned a clumsy laugh, unsure of what to say next.

“We should go get dinner,” she suggested.

That was a surprise. “Oh, um…” I looked to the sky, desperately trying to think of an excuse. My social battery was completely unready to go have dinner with someone I barely knew, even if it was Maxine.

“Come on, there’s a really good burger place near mine,” she said.

“It’s just-“

“What, don’t you like burgers?” she asked.

I looked into her questioning eyes, my gaze quickly shifted, afraid of holding her stare for long, “no, no of course I do.”

“Let’s get going then,” she smirked as she walked past.

My attempt at avoiding a spontaneous social interaction was thwarted, so I spun to follow her, she’d made my mind up for me. Plus, it’s not like I didn’t want to, old habits die hard I guess.

Much to my surprise, once freed from the confines of the classroom, our conversation flowed smoothly, she was a good talker. I learned she was an only child to a divorced mother who worked as a night-shift nurse. She fell in love with basketball when she was young and never stopped, hoping to one day get a scholarship for a college in America and get drafted into the WNBA. Usual childhood dream type of stuff.

I told her of my family, my mum and dad and my brother, Peter. That I didn’t have much to aspire to, that I’d probably just get a degree in business or something and end up working for my dad. Normally, exposing these things to people made me feel like shit, who wants to hear about some social recluse with nothing going for them, but Maxine continued to listen intently. Even if it was only small talk, it was nice to get it all out.

Over dinner, which was delicious by the way, we delved a little deeper into each other’s interests. I found out about her fascination with aquatic life, she found out how much I love animation and we both agreed on the cognitive struggle that was our mathematics class. It was a breath of fresh air, to speak to someone not related to me by blood for once.

After our food settled we began to walk home, Maxine had assured me her place was close by. Our conversation rarely paused to breathe as it filled the crisp late-night air. As we arrived at Maxine’s home, she was coming to the tail end of a story from her childhood, one where she was chased down and bitten by a goose, she tried to assure me it wasn’t as funny as I thought it was.

Our banter came to a gradual stop, until we both stood on the sidewalk in silence. As always, Maxine was the first to break it.

“You wanna come inside?” she asked.

There’s no way she just asked me that, “I don’t know, I don’t want to intrude or anything,” I muttered with my head down.

“Pshhh, what are you talking about,” She flashed me a comforting smile, “plus, my mum’s at work if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“Alright, I’ll come in for a bit,” I said, feeling a bit more at ease.

Maxine lived in a little apartment block, I guess she didn’t need much space since she only lived with her mother. We climbed the stairs to the third floor and she fished through her gym bag for her keys. Once inside, she kicked her shoes off and proceeded to walk me towards what I could only assume to be her room. My heart was starting to race, what have I managed to get myself into.

“Don’t mind the mess,” she said, stepping over a pile of clothes to collapse on her bed. It was crammed into the corner of the somewhat small room.

Eyeing the state of the room, I commented, “mine’s pretty similar to be honest.”

Maxine propped herself up on her elbows, “what, you got thongs lying everywhere too?”

“No, no, I mean, like,“ My face erupted into a crimson shade of red, how do I even reply to that.

“I’m just fucking with you Alistair,” she laughed and lay back on her mattress, “Alistair, Alistair,” she whispered to herself, “can I call you Ali?”

“Yeah, sure,” I said, thankful for her laid-back attitude, “only my mum calls me that.”

“Guess I’m your mama,” she said.

Gross Maxine, “you ruined it.”

“Spare me,” she grinned, and motioned to the chair by her desk, “take a seat.”

Glad she wasn’t about to invite me to lay in bed with her, I crossed her room and sat down. I glanced around, noticing the posters and photos that decorated her walls, they were mostly sports related. I also began to pick up on a slight scent that seemed to waft from her socked feet.

In typical Maxine fashion, she cut the silence, “What’s the craziest thing that’s ever happened to you?”

I was stumped, it’s one of those questions that your answer will never live up to, but I’d have to tell whatever first came to memory. “One time my brother made brownies and left them in the fridge, and without realising me and my parents ate them and got super high.”

Maxine burst into laughter, “no way,” she said between breaths.

“It was pretty funny, my mum was freaking out and my dad was like so clearly remembering the feeling and slowly catching onto what was going on,” I was now beginning to laugh between telling the story, “yeah my brother got in so much trouble.”

“That’s so good,” her giggling died down, “we should do that one time.”

“Yeah, that’d be fun,” I said. Did she just ask me on a date?

“Mm, yeah it would be,” her words mumbled a bit as she rubbed her eyes.

“So, what about you?” I asked.

She sat up, “the craziest thing that’s ever happened to me,” she watched the ceiling while thinking, and then looked me dead in the eye, “was probably the day I realised I could shrink people.”

Chapter End Notes:

Next chapter the shrinking begins.

Hope you enjoyed!