- Text Size +
Story Notes:


Author's Chapter Notes:


"RESULT: POSITIVE"


Beth felt empty as she gazed at the text on her screen.


Here she had been, for the better part of an hour, lost in the fact that she had been so unlucky. Yes, she somehow managed to be apart of the three percent of the population with the potential to succumb to the mysterious Shrinking illness sweeping the world. She was states away from the rest of her family, and had only her college roommate to rely on, which meant it was only a matter of time before it happened.


She closed the tab on her computer, and typed in another URL. It was a very clean and modern website, and scrolling through the video footage and slogans that lined the home page, she clicked on a page entitled "How It Happens".


"Here at Parvus, we strive, above all, to make our little people feel special in their time of transition. Since the enactment of Judee's Law, Parvus associates have had the freedom to do everything possible in finding shrunken people a new, happy home."


Beth rolled her eyes. She couldn't believe how deluded these people were - as if anyone didn't already know what really happens to tinies the second they're found.


"The first step in our process is matching each of our shrunken people with a Parvus Wellness Manager. They are then trained extensively in day-to-day household chores, appropriate behavior, and certain pleasure tactics."


Beth scrolled down, skipping all of the nonsense until she came to the final paragraphs.


"Once a little person has been purchased, and they are determined to be healthy and ready for service, they are sent to an Amazon fulfillment center. From there, they are packaged and sent to your doorstep - free of cost - within just a couple of days!"


She closed the tab and started hyperventilating. She found it hard to process that this was actually happening, that this was actually real life - people were being sold as consumer products, and she was due to be bought any day now. 


Beth suddenly regained her composure as the door swung open, revealing her roommate, Mary.


"Oh, hey, Mare, what's up?" Beth said, trying to be as casual as possible.


Mary let out a loud, unladylike burp - Beth could immediately tell she had been drinking. "Nothin' much," she responded, collapsing onto her bed. 


"Oh, shit, I just remembered," Mary started. "Sam got one of those tiny things, the uh - shrunken people, or whatever."


Beth's heart started racing. More and more of her friends and acquaintances were buying into the new trend, but she hoped that at the very least she would be able to trust her roommate. 


"Yeah, it was pretty funny," Mary continued. "We kicked the little guy around for a while, and then, I shit you not, Sam almost fucking swallowed him," Mary laughed her ass off, her roommate chuckling along, nervously.


"She like, put him in her mouth to like, show him his place or whatever, she's weird... Anyway, we were all laughing so hard, she choked on him for a few seconds, and had to spit him back up. He was shaking!"


As Beth listened to her fellow student drone on and on about the terrifying encounter, she checked her bank account to see if she could afford a flight home tonight.


Nope.

Chapter End Notes: