- Text Size +

Once the excitement of the family reunion subsided, the girls made their way to the kitchen, while Dan took Adam on a tour of the house. Donna's father, still amazed at the extremely high ceilings, had remarked that the house kind of reminded him of a warehouse, which caused Dan Johnson to give his guest a wry smile. 


The girls sat down at the kitchen table. Daisy was amazed, for as big as mother and daughter were size wise, the chair she sat on was very accessible, and the way the table was constructed, she didn't feel too small or like a child with adults.


Val started off the conversation by thanking Daisy for allowing them to have Donna as a guest. She told the girl’s mom that because of Dan’s foresight, their house was set up to handle the situation better than most.


Val then explained everything Dan did, from selling his stock, to buying and renovating an old warehouse, just to make sure that her and Dana’s needs were taken care of.


Daisy, impressed by Val story, asked her how Dan and Bill felt about the situation, how one month they were the tall ones, and now, they looked like little kids with a parent.


Val wasn't sure what to make of her question, but seeing sincerity in Daisy's eyes, knew that there was no hidden meaning behind the query.


Val told her that Dan and Bill have been wonderful. They never complained, never threw any sort of fit, and her husband has treated her like he always has, like a gentleman. 


Donna told her mom that Bill was as kind to her as when she first met him, and if anything, he had become more supportive of her while her body was changing. She knew that was because of what was happening to his mom and sister. He could offer a calming presence, where other guys would run away. Because of him, she never felt alone, even when she missed her parents terribly.


Daisy felt a tear welling up in her eye. Deep down she felt guilty about not being there for her daughter, but she thanked God that the Johnsons were able to help her in her time of need.


Daisy then changed the subject as to how they go food shopping and clothes buying. Val had a smile on her face. She said that it was another brilliant idea of Dan’s. He contacted a specialty clothing store, explained the situation, and they sent a representative out to measure her and Dana. 


Clothes were made, and they fit perfectly. But when they started to feel tight, they would be able to call them up and get new clothes at a bigger size. That way, they could avoid having to travel to a store that would be too small for them to properly stand up in.


As for food shopping, it was another one of Dan’s ideas. Since he worked for a giant warehouse and delivery company, he was able to set up food deliveries once a week for no delivery charge. They just paid for what was delivered.


Daisy smiled, and asked her about work. Val said that she was a file clerk for the local court. But once she became too big for the office, she was able to work from home. That way she could be there if Dana had any issues or problems.


Val asked Daisy what she did for a living. Mrs Mills said that she was a stay at home mom until Donna left for college. She too had wanted to be there for her daughter. But once her girl went off to college, she got a job as a cashier for the local pharmacy. Adam was a branch manager for the regional bank, and his salary was enough for them to live comfortably. But since Donna left, she needed to feel productive. So, it not only gave her spending money, but it helped occupy her time, since the house felt empty.


Daisy Mills finally asked the question that was humming in the back of her mind. How fast are the three girls growing? Val told her that they are growing about an inch a day. And before Donna's mom could ask, Val said that she was 8’8”, Dana was 8’7”, and Donna was 7’8”. They had measured one another that morning, and Monday morning, a doctor and nurse will make a house call to give them checkups. 


This put Daisy’s mind at ease. The Johnsons were going through the same thing as her daughter, and so they really were better equipped to handle her needs and give her the support she required. And they were making sure that she received regular medical evaluations. It was at that moment that Daisy became convinced that Donna would never set foot in her house again, because she wouldn't be able to fit inside. But she was in great hands, and that thought alone really brightened her overall mood.


The four men stepped outside. That was when Dan explained what had happened up to that point. As they had explained on the video call, they had a normal two story house. But once it became apparent that both Val and Dana were quickly growing taller, and they would be too large for the home soon, he sold half his company stock, and purchased an old warehouse for very cheap, then he hired a contractor buddy, and paid them twice their usual fee to make sure that they could renovate and remodel the building into a dwelling suitable for a family.


Dan explained that they way they set it up, it does have some future proofing to it, as the ceilings are high enough to accommodate people 12 feet tall. Adam raised an eyebrow, and looked at Mr Johnson with admiration. He thought that any man that would be willing to do all that to provide for his family, and ensure that their comfort and well being was his first and foremost concern, was someone to be respected and admired.


And it gave Adam Mills much needed peace of mind. He and his wife hadn't seen their daughter in over a month, although they had talked on the phone every day. But he thought to himself that if Bill Johnson was anything like his father, then Donna would be treated with love and kindness and respect. 


The four men came back inside, and Dan showed him the bedrooms, and the bathroom. He explained the implements that had been installed that allowed himself and Bill to use the toilet and sink. That way, the girls wouldn't be inconvenienced.


Dan also pointed out the guest room where Donna had been staying, stressing that Bill slept on a couch that was off to the side of the kitchen.  Adam appreciated the act. Even though both his daughter and her boyfriend were 18, the Johnsons were still old fashioned in that respect.


With the tour of the house complete, the guys made their way into the kitchen, joining the girls who were laughing like old friends.