- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I was only planning on doing one part to chapter 21.

But as I was writing it, I came upon the idea of doing something a little different. A reporter had come to interview the Johnson family. This chapter is how I imagine his story would have appeared in the news paper. I hope you enjoy.

GIANTS AMONG US: Real? Or Fake News?



By: Pete Parker


Part 1


Let me get right to the point. Yes, they are real, and they are the nicest, sweetest human beings that you will ever meet. I had the opportunity to interview and spend an evening with them, and to be completely honest, I was made to feel more welcomed at their house than I am at my own parents. 


Some background. I ran into a friend of mine at a bar a week ago. We have been lifelong friends, and where I had gone into the journalism profession, he went to work for a warehouse distribution center, which shall remain nameless.


Anyway, he had mentioned that he had a coworker whose wife and daughter were growing taller for unexplained reasons. Naturally, I dismissed the subject as the fantasy of some drunk guy at a bar. But he insisted it was completely true. 


The next day at work, I talked with my editor about the claim, expecting him to dismiss it as someone trying to pull my leg. Imagine my shock when he informed me that he had heard rumors about the family. But he didn’t know how to bring it up with the veterans in the newsroom, who would probably think being assigned to investigate a story like this was basically management’s way of telling them to pack their belongings in a box and head for the exit.


So my editor was relieved when I brought up the subject, because I was now volunteering to investigate the claims. He thanked me, and told me the story, or lack thereof, was my baby, and that he would support me wherever it led.


So I checked with a couple of sources I had with the Westmont Lake government, and became convinced that it was quite possibly true. So, I narrowed down the possible people involved, and made a couple of phone calls, and struck gold.


Val Johnson answered my call, confirmed the story, and graciously consented to an interview. I was excited! But how would I approach a story where no one knew of the reasons, even the most respected medical professionals. I decided to let the Johnson family tell me their story unedited, and I would ask questions, when appropriate, but would otherwise let them tell the world in their own words.


I had the address, and the time, and showed up at an odd looking building not really visible from the main road. I immediately noticed that the front door was huge, which I thought was unusual. 


I knocked, and a man slightly smaller than my 6’4” frame answered. Dan Johnson, father, husband, and all-around great guy, introduced himself after I did the same. We briefly talked about the building, which he explained was an old warehouse that he purchased and converted for his family. Now I was getting excited. If the front door was any indication, this was going to be the most unusual day of my life.


We walked in. The living room furniture was scaled in such a way that I felt small. I couldn’t get over the feeling. I asked Dan if I could take a picture of him standing next to the sofa, so I could have some visual evidence of the scale I was seeing. He warmly said yes. I took my picture. 


Then he excused himself and returned with two other males. I recognized the one. Bill Johnson, star QB for Westmont Lake’s high school football team, and nearly my height. 


The other was a 12yr old boy, Matt Murdock, a friend of Bill’s 12 yr old sister, Dana. We introduced ourselves, then I proceeded to interview the men first. 


Dan explained his life, from childhood to the present, with great detail. And when we reached the topic of the interview, he was candid and forthcoming about what had transpired, and continues to transpire. 


Dan explained that due to a combination of requirements for both his job and Val, plus Bill’s college and Dana’s grade school, they needed to get the vaccine due to the virus making its way through the population.


They had normal side effects, but a week later, when they were dropping Bill off at college, both Val and Dana started to have another occurrence of the side effects, and when they returned home, both slept the rest of the weekend. And at that exact moment, the virus ravaged the warehouse where he worked, forcing him to work 18 hour days for a week.


He wasn’t able to see his wife and daughter, but when he finally got a day off, he was shocked to see that they had grown, and were almost as tall as he was.


I asked him how he felt about that, and Dan responded that he was initially stunned, but he realized that they were still the same sweet girls that were his family, and whatever was happening, they couldn’t control. He needed to support them no matter what, because he wouldn’t be able to live with himself if they felt he abandoned them when they needed him the most.


I have to admit that Dan’s answer almost made me cry. It was so genuine, and from the heart, that I wish all men could be like him.


Next, I ask Bill about what his life has been like. Like his father, he seemed to be grateful for the childhood he had. Both his parents were always there for him, especially when his football prowess became evident, and he was always being invited to every showcase event. His parents never hesitated or complained about having to constantly drive him to and from the games.


I asked him how he felt about remaining the same size as his mom and sister grew taller, and like Dan, it was extremely important for him to support his family no matter what. Then he pointed out that his girlfriend was also experiencing the same side effects as his mother and sister.


This caught me off guard, as I didn’t expect a third female to be involved. I asked him her name, and he said Donna, a fellow freshman from college. I asked him how he felt about his girlfriend growing taller, and his eyes lit up, telling me that she was such a special girl, that it wouldn't matter how much she grew, he loved her. I believed every word he said. Like Dan, Bill was honest, and a terrific young man.


Next, I asked the young boy sitting there, Matt Murdock, and what was going on with him. Matt explained his childhood, how he was constantly moving because of his dad's job, sometimes even two or three times during the school year. I asked him what his dad did for a living, and he wasn't exactly sure, as his dad did everything for his company. And no, Matt couldn't remember the name of the company, as it always seemed it was being bought by a bigger company, and the name would change.


I asked him about his time in Westmont Lake. Then I saw his eyes light up. He explained that he moved in during 6th grade, and nobody would talk to him, because he was the outsider among a close group of friends, except one person who showed genuine kindness and interest in his well being.


I asked him who, and he said Dana Johnson. And he never would forget that. She would always be special to him, and he would always remain loyal to her. 


I asked him how he felt about Dana growing taller, and he said he no longer noticed, because she was still the same person that she was when he met her.


I looked over at Dan and commented that he seemed to have a really wonderful family, and he couldn't wait to meet the girls. Dan smiled back at me, and recommended that I remain seated, as he was afraid that I would be so stunned, I might faint. I laughed at his joke, but remained seated as requested, while Dan yelled into the kitchen.


What I saw next I will never, ever forget, for as long as I live. And it will be continued in Part 2 of my interview story with the Johnson family.


GIANTS AMONG US: Real? Or Fake News?


PT 2 


By: Pete Parker


The first part of my article dealt with some background on the topic, plus I interviewed Dan Johnson, Bill Johnson, and Matt Murdock, the three males closely associated with the three subjects of this article. Now we move on to Valerie Johnson, Dana Johnson, and Donna Mills.


As I was seated on the sofa, three figures walked into the living room, and I never thought it was possible for them to exist. The males were standing, with a female behind each one. But not just any female, one that was quite a bit taller than the male in front. 


I must have looked like a moron, as I realized that I was just staring at the scene with my mouth open. Once I got my bearings, I stood up and we introduced ourselves, my large hand getting totally engulfed by much larger ones.


Once we were settled, I found myself unable to think of a good way to broach the subject of the extraordinary growth that the three girls in front of me were experiencing. It wasn't until Val Johnson offered me something to drink that broke my mental block.


I asked her about her life. Val explained her childhood, and how she was always kind of a nerd, and thought she would be a librarian, until she met Dan in high school. And then her goals changed. She was always an extremely organized person, and thought that she would be better suited for an office, which could utilize her talents more than a library.


I asked her if she worked, and if she did, what her job was. Val said that she was a file clerk for the municipal court, and that she had been there a few years. It was only recently that she started working from home, as she was too big for the office. I nodded, even though I wasn't asked a question.


She also described her raising Bill and Dana, and how Dan was always there, being an active parent. I was writing furiously in my notebook. The story gave me some needed insight into her character. I asked her if she sensed any resentment from either Dan or Bill about her growth. 


Val told me that she never, ever sensed anything or the sort, because if she did, she wouldn't be able to handle either the growth or her pregnancy. Dan was her rock. He took it upon himself to sell his company stock and purchase this place, and convert it into a suitable home for her and Dana. And he never made a fuss about it. 


I had to admit that even though I had a million questions, ones dealing with how Dan was able to afford both the property and the conversion. It just reinforced my admiration for the man. 


I asked her if she was concerned about her unborn baby growing at a fantastic rate as well. Val said she was initially worried, but her last trip to her doctor showed that the girl inside her was extremely healthy.


She had answered the very question I was about to ask her, if she in fact knew the sex of the baby. And I found Val to be the sweetest woman I had ever met. Reaching a fantastic height without a proper explanation, as well as being with child, and being so gracious in her responses. 


I delicately asked her if she hoped her growth would stop soon, and Val said yes, but it wasn't up to her, and that she would willingly accept whatever happened.


She wasn't bitter, or mad, and I found that really amazing. I had dealt with lots of people who cursed their fate in life. Val’s sweetness made it easy to root for her and her family.


Next, I turned my attention to Dana Johnson. I was shocked to find out that she was only 12. She acted mature for her age, and it was immediately apparent that she inherited every great quality of her parents. 


I asked the young girl about her life, and it was immediately clear that she idolized her older brother, Bill. She said that he was always looking out for her.


I asked if there was the natural teasing one would get from a big brother, and Dana answered without hesitation; never. I initially had my doubts (I was the youngest one in my family, and my older brother never let me forget it). But the more she talked about her family, the more I realized that she was telling the truth.


I gently asked her about Matt, and she gave almost the same type of answer that he did, except in reverse order. She had a group of friends that were close, but once she started growing, they started to grow distant from her. Matt was the only person in school that never stopped being her friend, and because of that, she was able to deal with what was happening.


I then turned towards the third and final piece of this incredible story. Donna Mills is an 18 yr old from the Midwest. She told me that she didn't want to reveal the name of the town, as she hadn't seen her parents since one weekend at college in September, and she wanted to check with them  first to make sure that using their names and location was ok.


I thought that was very thoughtful and considerate. So I just asked general questions about her childhood. Donna said that she was an only child growing up on a very small farm, so that chores were easy to finish, allowing her the time to develop outside interests. She loved watching football on TV, and seeing the cheerleading squads in action, and made sure to join the squad her freshman year in highschool.


I knew she was a very beautiful girl, so I gently asked if she had boys fighting over her in highschool. She said yes, but she didn't feel any connection to them. It actually wasn't until she went to Lexicon, and met Bill, that she truly felt she met the guy for her. She was a member of the cheerleading squad, and when she saw Bill, and how he treated his teammates, fans, and complete strangers with kindness and respect, she knew he was different. And the school made all students who weren't vaccinated get the shot. It was a few days afterwards that she started her growing.


I asked her the same question that I had asked Val; did she sense any resentment from Bill once she started growing. And like the matriarch of the family, Donna's response was absolutely not. Bill treated her the same way he had before her growth. He never wavered in his love and support. She added that she was leaning heavily towards going to another college, which she didn't want to name, but for some strange reason, felt that Lexicon was the correct choice. She couldn't explain it. I thought to myself that it was fate.


I looked at my watch. 7pm. I had been interviewing the family for three hours, which surprised me. Everyone felt so comfortable and at ease that it made me feel the same, and time just flew by.


I mentioned that it was getting late, and I apologized for occupying their time enough for them to have a late dinner, but wanted one favor. Could I measure them, and take a photo?


Val told me yes, but under one condition. I had to stay and have dinner with them. I started to make excuses about why I couldn't, but she then asked me in a genuine sweet voice, and I was powerless to say no. So I agreed. 


We made our way to the kitchen, and boy, was I floored. The sheer size and scale of the cabinets, stove, refrigerator, everything, took my breath away. I looked over at Dan, and it suddenly put into perspective how much he did to make his wife and daughter comfortable with their new life. Wow!


I regained my senses enough to start the first part. I measured the men. Dan Johnson 6’, Bill Johnson 6’3”, and Matt Murdock 5’9”. Totally normal.


Next was the girls. I didn't see a chair that was capable of letting me reach the tops of Val and Dana’s head, so I asked Donna if she would be willing to help me. She smiled and said yes. Great! I will measure her first, as she would be the easiest.


I stood on a chair, and measured Donna Mills at 7’7”. I was still stunned by the number. I asked her what her height was before she started growing. 5’7” she replied. She had grown an even 2 ft. 


Next, I asked her to do Val and Dana. She stood on her tippy toes and measured Val Johnson at 8’7”. I asked her what her original height was. 5’2”. I must have looked like an idiot as my face showed disbelief. She had grown an incredible 41 inches since late August.


Next was Dana Johnson at 8’6”. I found out that she was originally 5’1”. Again, and incredible 41 inch growth spurt since late August. My mind became numb as I tried to grasp the incredible feat.


I was so preoccupied with the incredible numbers that I never noticed Val and the boys started dinner. Spaghetti, my favorite. And all through this late afternoon/evening, it was the Johnson family making sure I was comfortable and relaxed, and I was a complete stranger. I quickly asked them to pose for a picture. Front was Dan, Matt and Bill. Rear was Val, Dana, and Donna. And I will let the photo describe what I saw.


Needless to say, dinner was delicious. And I opened myself up to their questions. General ones about my life and childhood, how I came to be a reporter, was I married or have a girlfriend. The usual stuff. It wasn't until Dan asked me how I came to hear about them, that I felt a little uneasy. He wasn't pushy, or demanding an answer, he was just curious. I delicately explained what I heard, without revealing too many details. But I got the impression that he correctly guessed who told me.


I sheepishly asked him if he could not say anything to the person. It was only brought up as an incredible story, not with any malice or intention to embarrass anyone. And I told him that I was now extremely grateful that he did, because I got to meet the most incredible family in the world. And I am serious.


I felt terrible that we had to say goodnight, and I had to leave. I only hope that I did the Johnson family such justice that you, the reader, can understand how loving and sweet the whole group was. Giante are very real, and they are the sweetest people in the world. Thank you!