- Text Size +

Val and Dana arrived home, unsure of what was going on. Dr McCoy had a theory, and took blood samples to test, but it still didn't get the girls any closer to knowing the reason for their growth. Mom held out hope that it would stop as suddenly as it began, but in her heart, she knew better. She was dreading telling Dan. 


He had been working really long hours, and they hadn't seen each other since the previous Sunday, so she knew that as soon as he saw them, he would be shocked, and probably as confused as they were. 


When the girls woke up Saturday, it was apparent that they had grown some more. The clothes that they had bought on Thursday were now tight, meaning that they were going to have to shop for new ones. So after breakfast, Val and Dana headed out to go shopping.


Their latest measurements only confirmed what they knew. 30 inch inseam, and size 10 instead of 8, with shoe sizes now 9w. They picked out clothes not only at their current size, but Val suggested that they get some at the next size up, just in case. 


Once the shopping was done, mother and daughter decided to grab lunch. The mood was subdued, and the meal was eaten in silence. Finally, Val looked at Dana and suggested that when they told her father, they should do it together. Dana agreed. 


Valerie’s phone rang. It was Dan. She answered, using her best happy voice, asking him how his day was going, and he responded that it was chugging along. He just wanted to let her know that he was going to be on his usual schedule next week, but that he was going to be stuck at work later than usual, and that he loved her and Dana, and would see them tomorrow. She replied that they both loved him, and they hung up.


The girls made dinner as usual, setting aside a plate for Dan. But this time, there were no leftovers. Valerie couldn't understand why at first, but then it dawned on her. Because she and Dana were growing, so were their appetites, and because of that, their bodies needed more food. Neither had realized that they were having seconds and thirds. That was causing the lack of food left from dinner.


Valerie had a fitful night of sleep. She just kept dreaming that she would tell Dan about what was happening to her and Dana, and then he would turn around and leave for good. She looked at the clock on the drawer. 2:30 am. She heard the front door open and close, then heard the knob on the bedroom door turn. She immediately pretended to be asleep, as Dan quickly dispatched his clothes. 


He was exhausted beyond belief, having worked 86 hours that week. He laid down, and as soon as his head hit the pillow, he was out cold. Val curled up next to him and kissed him on the cheek, whispering in his ear that she loved him. She closed her eyes and fell into a shallow sleep.


Dan woke up sometime around 11:00am. He needed to relieve himself, and once he did, went back into his bedroom to get dressed. Valerie heard him get up, and had Dana follow her into the room. She asked her husband how he was feeling. 


Dan turned around to answer and stopped in his tracks. A shocked expression dominated his face. He looked at the two women in front of him, his wife and daughter, and rubbed his eyes, not believing what he saw. Both women were nearly as tall as he was. He thought it was impossible, but there they were. 


He just looked from Valerie to Dana, and back again. His wife immediately thought of her dreams, and started crying. She kept thinking that Dan was going to leave them. She started to become more upset.


But her emotions snapped him out of his daze. He immediately went to hug his wife to comfort her, telling her that it was ok. He included Dana in the hug and well. And he asked her what happened.


Val had no answer. She told him that when they woke up Monday morning, they just started growing, about an inch a day. They went to the doctor’s and even he didn't know what was going on. She was afraid, not so much for herself, but for Dana, who had just turned 12, and might be experiencing something that could be dangerous to her health. 


Dan looked at his daughter and told her that everything would be alright. Whatever was happening to them, they would face it as a family. And he hugged them tight, telling them that he loved them.


Dan’s initial shock had worn off. He had accepted that something was happening to his wife and daughter that could not be explained. All he could do was pray that they would be alright. 


Valerie just wanted to relax. Her husband being home gave her a sense of security and calmness, things that had been missing the past week. 


Dana wasn't sure what to make of what was going on. She couldn't wait for school to start, and was secretly looking forward to seeing a boy named Matt, who she became friends with in 6th grade. But 7th grade was when the push to get students ready for high school began, and she knew that homework and tests would be a lot harder than they had been.


When everyone settled into bed, Val and Dan discussed what was happening, especially as it related to Dana. They shared the same concern about her health and safety, and assured each other that at the first sign of issue, they would immediately seek medical treatment. 


The following morning, as Dan was getting ready for work, Val and Dana came to wish him a great day. Dan was taken aback at seeing Val the same height as he was, until he looked down and saw her wearing two inch heels. He wished Dana good luck at school, and gave her a hug, and kissed his wife as he finished getting ready, reminding them that they were going out to see Bill’s first college game on Saturday. Both girls nodded. Mother and daughter hugged, and Dana caught the bus.


Dana got on the bus and made her way to her friends near the back. They were involved in a conversation about a boy band, so none of them noticed how tall she had grown. The band was coming around for a concert in the spring, and plans were being arranged to get tickets.


It wasn't until the bus pulled into the parking lot, and everyone got up to exit, that her friends noticed how big she had become. They all took turns asking her what happened, to which Dana would reply that she must have had a growth spurt, trying to downplay the nature of what was happening.


Once Dana was off the bus, she spotted the person she was hoping to see. Matt Murdock was a boy who had moved to town during the 6th grade school year. Quiet at first, he warmed up when a short girl with glasses said hi, and a friendship was born.


Dana went up to him and said hi. Matt looked puzzled at first, then knew it was her and gave her a smile, saying hello and complimenting her on how great she looked. It didn't seem to phase him that she had been 3 inches shorter than he was the year before, and even after growing 4 inches over the summer, was now looking slightly up at her. He genuinely seemed happy to see her, and they chatted and talked about their summer vacations, until the bell rang to start the school year.


Bill had been pacing all throughout the dorm room. 

Lexicon University‘s first football game of the year was on Saturday, and he had been named the starting quarterback, the first freshman to start the first game in Lexicon’s history. And if that wasn’t stressful enough, his family would be at the game. His nerves were overwhelming him.


It wasn’t until his roommate, Ray, had come in and saw the anxiousness on Bill’s face, that he knew he needed to calm him down. Ray Stevens was a 7’1” highly recruited center, with colleges fighting among themselves for his services. He understood the pressure that his roommate was feeling. He also knew that the pressure was the kind that Bill was putting on himself.


So after a few jokes, Ray told Bill about two girls who got into a fight while putting on their makeup. It was over some guy, and it was a knock down drag out affair. And when they were done, each could have played the Joker in a superhero movie.


Bill laughed, and his anxiety seemed to ease. He thanked Ray for the joke, and both men gave each other a fist bump. Saturday was going to be a crazy day.


Dan woke up to an empty bed, but the aroma that penetrated the room let him know that Val was cooking breakfast. He quickly got dressed, and made his way to the kitchen. 


Dana was also up and sitting at the counter, talking with her mom. Val had a cup of coffee ready for Dan, so he gave her a kiss and sat down next to his daughter. For him, it was still a very strange feeling not having to bend down to kiss his wife. But he secretly thought to himself that she was getting sexier as she grew taller. 


Once Dana was finished with her breakfast, she quickly finished getting ready for school, and ran out the door and onto the bus. Valerie looked at her husband and smiled, telling him that if she had to guess, their daughter liked a boy, and she liked him a lot. Dan looked at her and told her that it was time for mother and daughter to have ‘that talk’, as he winked at her and got ready for work.


Once the bus arrived at school, Dana and her friends parted ways. They went to their lockers, while Dana sought out Matt, eventually spotting him down the hallway. 


As she neared him, Dana was taken by surprise when he gave her a hug. She felt a little awkward at first, but quickly found that she enjoyed it very much. 


Breaking the embrace, the two just stood there talking like they hadn't seen one another in years, laughing at each other’s jokes. They were in their own little world.


Dan woke up to an empty bed once again. But the familiar aroma coming from the kitchen let him know exactly what Val was doing, cooking breakfast. Moving out to the kitchen, he kissed her, realizing that he wasn't bending his head in any way to align with her lips. He sat at the table, coffee in front of him, trying to get used to the fact that his wife was now as tall as he was. He assumed that his daughter was as well, which made his head ache slightly.


Dana was already seated. She and her mom were planning a shopping trip for after school, as they were outgrowing their clothes. Dan was trying to figure out a cost in his head, but it was too early in the morning. Besides, he thought, he had been working plenty of overtime the last few weeks, so they should be able to afford new outfits.


Valerie said she hoped that Dr McCoy would call and let her know the results of their blood tests. She was apprehensive, but she didn't show it. She just wanted to know what was causing her and Dana to grow.


The morning followed the very familiar pattern of Dana leaving her friends and finding Matt waiting by the lockers. She was clearly taller than him, by about 3 inches, but if it bothered him in any way, he never showed it. He would just listen to Dana describe her morning, and continually joke with her, making her feel at ease. 


She felt a little awkward, as Dana felt that it must have been a shock to Matt to see her growing taller than him, but she never noticed any ill feelings from him towards her. It just made her appreciate his company even more.


Dan arrived home after work to find both Valerie and Dana just sitting on the sofa, in the middle of a discussion that caught him by surprise. It was about the vaccine. He had just assumed that they were talking about how it would protect them. But the topic was about something completely different.


Valerie was trying to explain to her daughter about the phone call she had received from Dr McCoy that morning. He had the results of their blood work. 


It was then that Dan joined the conversation, asking what the Dr had to say. Val looked at him and with fear and uncertainty in her eyes, explained what Dr McCoy had told her. The results showed no tumor of the pituitary gland, as there wasn't an excess of growth hormone and related proteins in the samples. However, there was a small amount of growth hormone that couldn't be explained, plus an enzyme that came from the vaccine that is supposed to boost the white cells in order to fight infections. Apparently, the enzyme was not stimulating the pituitary gland, it was boosting the released hormones in a way that couldn't be explained. In layman's terms, the vaccine was the reason for their growth, and he didn't know if or when it would end. He wanted to see both of them first thing Monday morning.


Dan was listening to Val, and felt a mixture of sorrow and guilt. Sorrow because both his wife and daughter were really good people with big hearts who were now experiencing something for which there may be no cure. And guilt, because he had been tied up with work and wasn't able to be there for them. He excused himself and went into the bedroom, returning a few minutes later. 


Dinner was very quiet, almost somber. Dan tried his best to keep any conversation upbeat and positive, but the girls weren't in the mood to talk. 


Dana went to her room right after the meal. Dan cleaned up, allowing Val a chance to relax. Both decided to make it an early night. Laying in bed, he offered to rub her back, to which she agreed. But he could tell that she wasn't really responding to the massage. 


Dan woke up first and made breakfast for everyone. Both Val and Dana seemed to be in better moods, so the meal was enjoyed with cheerful small talk. He did notice that he was looking up at his wife, while looking his daughter straight in the eye. He suddenly realized that if Dana grew one more inch, he would be the shortest in the family. He just shook his head in amusement at the thought


Once Dana left for school, Val asked her husband why he wasn't getting ready for work. He just winked and led her to the bedroom. They were finally alone. She looked puzzled. He explained that he called out of work to spend the day with her.


She looked at him, then gave him a big hug, which he returned. He told her that he loved her, and would be there for whatever was happening to them.


The bus pulled up to school, and for once, Dana just wanted to go to her locker, get her stuff, and go to class. But a friendly voice greeted her. She gently closed the door and looked down to see Matt standing there with a smile. 


But her reaction told him that something was upsetting her. He gently asked if everything was ok, and Dana quickly said yes. Matt, for lack of better options, finally remarked about how tall she was growing. Dana just looked at him, and suddenly blurted out that it was a side effect of the vaccine she got a couple of weeks before, and her doctor didn't know why.


Matt looked up at her and smiled, telling her that he hoped that she would be alright, and letting her know that if she wanted to talk about it later, he would be there to listen. 


She smiled back at him, putting her hand on his shoulder, and thanked him. She was glad that he was there.


Saturday arrived. Dan, Val, and Dana piled into the family car and headed out to Lexicon University to watch Bill play his first college game. Not only would he be the first true freshman to start at QB for the school, he was also facing Rubicon College, national powerhouses, and their bitter rivals. 


The game was a tense, back and forth affair, until Bill secured the win with a bootleg into the endzone. The defense did the rest, and Lexicon had that all important great start to the season.


After the game, and the post game speech by the coach, the players showered and made their way out of the locker room. Bill was the last one out, as the coaches just wanted to congratulate him on a great game.


As he made his way out the doors, Bill saw his roommate, Ray, and was going to give him a high-five, until a pair of arms pulled him to the right and the person they were attached to gave him a hug and a kiss.


Bill wasn't sure that he was seeing clearly. The person looked like his mom, talked like his mom, but was more than a foot taller than his mom. His eyes widened, and shock overtook his face and he was eye level with his mom. He looked around and saw that his sister was nearly as tall as he was. He felt like fainting, as he saw his dad, who was the same height as when he saw him last.


Ray, seeing the look on his roommate’s face, decided to crack a joke in hopes of getting Bill to relax, saying ‘he didn't know that he and his father were the two shortest in their family’.


Bill shot him a look that told Ray that the joke missed its mark. He just looked at his mom and sister and dad with confusion in his eyes. Valerie put her hand on the side of his head, and tried to gently explain that Dr McCoy seemed to think that it was a side effect of the vaccine, but he didn't know how. She and Dana had an appointment to see him Monday morning. 


Bill looked into his mom's eyes and saw that she was apprehensive about what was happening to her and Dana. So he gave her a hug, then hugged his formerly little sister, then his dad, and introduced Ray Stevens to them. 


Dan asked them if they were hungry, and everyone said yes, so they all crammed into the car and headed for a diner to get lunch. Bill took the time to ask both his mom and sister if they truly were alright, especially with what was happening to them. Both tried to reassure him that other than growing, they were feeling great. Val added that she hoped Dr McCoy would have more answers at their appointment.


Monday morning came. Valerie made breakfast for the three of them, and once Dan left for work, she and Dana got ready for their visit to the doctor. The car ride was quiet. Neither mother nor daughter knew what Dr McCoy would say, and it was affecting their moods.


They reached the office. Once Val parked the car, both went in and checked in at the desk. Dr McCoy’s assistant actually took their vitals this time. Val was 77 inches and 165 lbs, with normal blood pressure, temperature and heart rate. Dana was 76 inches and 160 lbs, with her other vitals being normal as well.


After getting their vitals taken, Valerie and Dana were escorted into the exam room, where they proceeded to take a seat. Almost immediately, Dr McCoy walked in with their charts. He sat down and examined the information within, then muttered something about numbers that couldn’t be right. 


He stood up and walked over to the women that were seated and asked them to stand up. Once they did, the doctor’s eyes got as wide as they could, as he looked up at them both. He noticed that he barely came up to their chins. He immediately asked them how they were feeling, to which both said they were feeling great. 


He went to his desk and opened a book, but couldn’t find any answer that satisfied him. He asked them even more questions, some general, some specific, but each one designed to have the respondent answer as truthfully as they could. 


Dr McCoy was stumped. He had the previous reports about the enzyme and the growth hormone from the pituitary gland, but never thought that both women would be affected the way they were. He asked if he could take blood samples again, and Valerie said yes. 


So the blood was drawn, and Dr McCoy wanted to see them again the following week. He wanted to get to the bottom of what was happening to his two patients.