- Text Size +

“Fuuuuck!!!”

Helen slapped her left hand against her forehead; she held Will in the other.

Michigan just took the lead late in the third quarter off of a punt return touchdown.

“I can’t fucking believe this shit!”

Helen and Will were both very upset. While the couple didn’t share a lot of mutual interests, they were both die hard Ohio State fans.

This year the team was good, but only a borderline playoff contender. If they beat Michigan today, and Alabama lost to Georgia, they would likely make it in as a fourth seed. However, even if they made it to number four, it would be an very hard to compete with LSU and Clemson.

No fan really expected them to win it all this year; instead, they wanted to humiliate their bitter rivals up north.

The third quarter drew to a close with Michigan leading the Buckeyes 27 – 20. Helen muted the ads on the TV and hung her head in shame.

“I really thought we were gonna do it… I should have known not to trust these clowns.”

Helen had decked herself out for the game. She had on a Justin Fields jersey and grey short shorts. Her feet were encased in grey Nike slides, each toe painted either scarlet, white, grey, or black. Will painted them for her, and he did a good job. It took him a while, though, since he had to take frequent wank breaks.

Helen held her head in her hands looking dejected. Her fingers were pained the same pattern as her toes, and she had a cute little “O” logo painted on her left cheek.

“Eh, don’t get too upset.”

Will tried to comfort her.

“It’s not like we were really gonna do anything this year anyway. I lost hope when we lost to Minnesota early in the year.”

“Yeah. I guess you’re right.”

“Hey, it’s not out of the question that we’ll win this. We’re only down by one score.”

Helen didn’t respond. She unmuted the television as the fourth quarter began.

Unfortunately for the couple, things did not improve. Ohio State’s whole operation began falling apart at the seams. Turnovers, anemic defense, incompletions, sacks, it was a sad sight. With six minutes left in the game, the Wolverines lead 44 -  20. Helen turned off the television and let out a heavy sigh. She new better than to watch Michigan celebrate their victory on the Buckeyes’ home turf.

“I guess we’ll get ‘em next year.”

Her voice was ice cold. Helen got up and placed Will on the dresser. She took off her jersey and put on a simple white tee to replace it. She went into her bathroom and washed the paint off of her cheek. She walked over to Will.

“Will you repaint my nails later? I want them to be white.”

“Sure thing El.”

Will wasn’t happy at all about his teams performance, but Helen was devastated. So much so that Will found it odd. He suddenly got the sneaking suspicion that there was something else bothering her. He thought to inquire, but decided to give her some space.

Helen closed the bedroom door and walked downstairs to the bathroom. She shut the door and turned on the shower before squatting down and weeping. She tried to do it quietly, but Will could faintly hear her from upstairs. He was very concerned about his girlfriend, but there was nothing he could do at the moment. Their communication spell only worked within a certain distance, and without too many obstructions.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, surprising both Helen and Will. Helen got up and composed herself. She stepped out of the bathroom and opened up the front door.

“Hello…?”

No one was there. The tall woman looked down and saw a small brown package at her feet. The mailman must have brought it.

She picked it up and inspected it, even though she knew exactly what it was and who it was from. It had a sticker with the address of her old friend, Sarah Bronstein.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She didn’t want to do this. She really didn’t. She wished that her and Will’s little life together could go on like this forever, but her guilty conscious wouldn’t allow it. Her guilt gnawed at her like a parasite, growing worse and worse by the day until she simply could not take it.

Helen grabbed a packet of sleeping powder she had lying on a shelf in the living room and sprinkled it on her feet and shoes, being careful not to ingest any herself.

She walked up the stairs slowly.

“I can stop.”

She thought.

“I don’t have to do this. We can stay like this forever.”

She dismissed these ideas. She made up her mind to do the right thing.

Helen held the package behind her back as she stepped into the room.

“Hey Willie! Want to play with my feet in these slides?”

She feigned a smile and wriggled her toes.

Will knew she wasn’t happy, but had been racking his brain over potential reasons why. It was a complete and utter mystery. He figured she was trying to take her mind off whatever it was, so he accepted her request.

“Of course I want to Elly! Put me on the floor next to those beauties!”

Helen picked up the little man and set him on the ground at her feet. He placed one kiss on her scarlet painted toe before passing out.