- Text Size +

“And coming down the red carpet now is the absolutely BEAUTIFUL Jamila Parson, in an absolutely STUNNING evening gown for the ceremony. Let’s get a word.”


The celebrity gossip reporter and her camera crew walked ahead to the beautiful starlet. 


“Jamila, hunny you look amazing! Tell us who you’re wearing?” the reporter asked before holding her microphone closer to the tall brunette. 


Jamila flashed a smile at the reporter and the camera. “Well this dress is from my own private line that’s supposed to drop this spring. My hair was done by my amazing stylist, Julian. And my new ring,” she said, holding her right hand into view, “was a custom order from Micro-Carat. It’s my third ring this year, after they sponsored my last movie I just fell in love with all their pieces.”


“Ooh!” the reporter replied in a sort of stock excitement, “to tell you, I’ve been thinking of getting one myself soon. Tell us, how many people have you got in there?”


“This one is part of their new Cities of the World Blue Diamond collection,” the starlet replied, adjusting the ring slightly with her other hand, “It’s a model of my home city Brooklyn, with about a hundred-forty-thousand people, give or take.”


“Wow! That’s a lot of people!” the reporter replied in exaggerated shock, “well they’re all very lucky to be so close to you Jamila, and we wish you the best of luck tonight during the awards.”


“Thank you,” Jamila said happily before continuing down the red carpet.


“Now coming our way is—”



Hana abruptly changed the channel on her TV, taking a moment to stretch her arms out above her head with the remote still in-hand as an ad played in the background.


She enjoyed this kind of famous people gossip garbage, but she could only take it in small doses. She usually preferred shows with more drama and actual writing involved. This time, however, it proved a little useful.


“Hey,” Hana said aloud, activating her home assistant service, “add the Brooklyn Micro-Carat ring to my shopping list.”


“OK, Brooklyn Micro-Carat ring has been added to your shopping list,” a robotic voice replied from nearby speakers. 


Hana smiled as she continued to flip through channels. Not really looking for anything special. Just some idle entertainment while she relaxed.


Eventually her eyes were drawn down to her bare feet, resting comfortably on her ottoman. Her nail polish was still immaculate after getting them done just last week. But what really caught her eye was the toe ring she wore on her left foot. It, like that ring the celebrity was wearing, was from Micro-Carat. She flexed her toes playfully, realizing how easily she’d forgotten she was even wearing it.


Hana was a young woman with a very powerful personality. She was a high-up in a major pharmaceutical company, a position she got entirely from her family connections within the industry. She attended maybe a handful of meetings a quarter, coming down only to flex her power over some of the others who got their positions out of years of hard work. Otherwise, her time was spent at home, shopping, pilates, getting coffee with her friends and going to see the latest shows. She wasn’t married yet, though she did go on dates every so often, mostly by the attempts of her friends to set Hana up with someone. But they never lasted long. Hana was very demanding, and if the men couldn’t meet her high expectations they were dumped within the first two weeks.


A few years ago, however, someone else had beaten her to the punch, dumping her after only a few dates. She was enraged, and vowed to get her revenge on him if she ever found the opportunity. Well, that’s where the ring came in.


Hana’s recent shopping obsession was anything to do with shrunken people accessories. When she found out from the friend who set them up that this idiot and his new wife had signed up to move into a piece, she almost immediately placed the request order.


Originally, they were all to be placed in a heart-shaped inclosure necklace, a small city for married couples to spend the rest of their lives together and hopefully become a symbolic gift of love. A very touching commitment.


Instead, they were purchased by this petty woman, who had their necklace altered into a toe ring, to remind them (and especially the guy who dumped her) that they were all beneath her. 


Their days were usually spent in darkness, with the city street lights turning on as Hana put on stockings in the morning. Being her favorite piece meant they were worn very often, and if ever their owner got bored, their blue-tinted glass sky would be covered by the toeprint of her other foot, gently rubbing the smooth surface to feel a little rush of power. For the man in question, it was a very strange feeling to look out of his window in the morning, only to see the smug face of a woman who looked oddly familiar.


But after so long, the rush of power Hana got from the ring had faded. She’d gotten bored of her new little toy, and needed more. 


When her parents had mentioned finding a place to comfortably retire, she immediately steered them towards a retirement plan with Micro-Carat. They could live in a perfect replica of the town they’d lived in when they first fell in love. 


Eventually her parents gave in, and now lived very comfortably— dangling from a hook on their daughter’s ear. She’d bought the set with them in it. After they’d signed over her inheritance before being shrunk, the price was just a drop in the bucket. The other earring was a match of the town, filled with people of no significance to Hana. After a few weeks she’d actually gotten mixed up on which actually contained her parents, not that she really cared.


Hana got up from her sofa, leaving the TV on as she walked to the kitchen of her apartment. Thinking of her jewelry made her feel so powerful. She imagined the city on her toe shaking with each step. Her parents’ house swaying with each turn of her head. So many people living on her like a planet, with her as their goddess.


While she made herself a smoothie, Hana daydreamed of what else she could buy. Maybe she’d buy a copy of another famous city, like Paris, and turn it into a tongue ring. She could french kiss with thousands of french people, the glass fogging up with every breath she took.


She took a sip of her smoothie, imagining what would happen if that city “accidently” got dislodged and she accidentally swallowed it, giggling slightly at the thought.


Maybe she could convince all of her friends to take a temporary vay-cay in a beach themed piece on Hana’s navel. All of them swimming in a microscopic island resort on Hana’s belly while she went out clubbing.


Who knows, maybe she’d buy that prissy little celebrity she just saw on TV. After a scandal it wasn’t strange for celebrities to enter the Micro-Carat program under a fake name to go into hiding. With her connections, Hana could easily find out their real names and buy whoever she wanted.


She went back to her sofa, sitting down comfortably and putting her feet back up. With her other foot she gently rubbed her toe ring, while her free hand played gently with her left earring. She imagined all the terror she was likely causing for their inhabitance. All that fear caused by such minor movements of her body.


Hana felt like she could own the world. And with her money, the possibilities were limitless.