- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I've made a handful of attempts at this type of scenario, but have never been able to pull it off to my satisfaction. I'm still not entirely happy with this one—I felt I couldn't keep it interesting and ended up wrapping the story up sooner than I would have liked—but I still like it well enough to publish. Also enjoyed trying out a slightly different style of prose.

CRACK!

The sound, loud as a gunshot, comes from an unremarkable house in the suburbs, bringing neighbors rushing to their windows and stopping passing pedestrians in their tracks. Crashing sounds come from the building, and soon the roof is seen bulging upwards and outwards and the house heard creaking, until...

CRACK!

A giant snow-white she-wolf bursts through the roof, wearing only what look like the tattered remains of her clothes. She slowly straightens up, reaching a staggering height of 30 feet, a height still increasing with each passing second. She brushes dust and debris from her head, then her yellow eyes lock onto the stunned pedestrians. No one moves a muscle; the only sound is the crunching of wood and glass still coming from the house.

Suddenly, a toothy grin appears on her face and a big fluffy tail swishes through the air behind her. She lifts a leg high and steps out of the house. Two big paws settle on the lawn, the ground sinking under her weight. After one last look around, she saunters through the street, waving at the gawking pedestrians as she passes them by, concrete cracking underpaw.

-----

The city streets are abuzz with activity as they always are at this hour, the people too absorbed in their busy schedules to notice anything out of the ordinary—at least at first. The sight of a 50-foot woman approaching the city can't go long unnoticed, however, and eventually people's eyes are drawn to her. All the hustle and bustle comes to a halt as hundreds of people stare at the giantess whose arrival is now imminent. Then, something changes. One by one, people give a start as if waking from a dream and hurry away, by car or on foot, and soon the streets are swarming with panicked masses and beeping vehicles.

The woman sees all this and smiles. Finally reaching the city, she walks through the street, her gaze sweeping over her surroundings. Behind glass windows, cautious observers gawk at her. Cars speed away, and those that were coming this way screech to a halt as soon as they see her, try to turn around, but only end up causing accidents and blocking the roads. The she-wolf chuckles to herself and heads towards them, tail playfully whapping the sides of a nearby buildings.

At fifty feet tall, she's head and shoulders taller than the nearest buildings, but still dwarfed by the giants at the heart of the city, skyscrapers to which her eyes dart every so often with a confident expression. Other people are as dolls to her, driving around in little toy cars. As she nears the traffic jam, she steps on one that was left behind by its driver. As her paw comes to rest on its roof, the metal chassis crumples under the weight, glass shattering and metal screaming as it's painfully deformed. Judging by her expression, the sound may as well be music to her ears.

Taking another step, Liza lifts her heel and she inspects the vehicle. She looks at it, finding it flat as a pancake, at least from her perspective, and gives a satisfied wag of her tail before stepping on the next one. Only once the metallic screaming stops does she take another step, moving on to the next one and the next one, until another noise catches her ear. She looks up, sees a mass of fleeing people, and follows after, her casual pace more than matching their frantic one, and surpassing it all the more with each new inch that was added to her height. As she approaches, more and more scatter into the side streets, but a few still remain in her path.

Finally she reaches them, and as her black-padded paw swings overhead, they stop and duck down—all save the ones furthest ahead, who fail to see it coming towards them. The paw, now big enough to cover a person's body, comes down on one of them, and only a single arm sticks out from under it.

Four toes curl around the hapless pedestrian's head as the giant she-wolf grins down at him, looking perfectly at ease. Around them, everyone else takes the opportunity to escape, leaving the street bereft of anyone other than them. Eventually, Liza lifts her foot a bit, and seeing his chance, the man scrambles out from under her and runs as fast as his legs will carry him away from her. Her eyes follow him until he disappears behind a corner, then she laughs and keep walking.

-----

With growing concern the peaceful park-goers listen to the strange sounds coming ever nearer—sounds of cracking glass and screeching metal. A mass of people runs through a nearby street, but the park-goers don't join in on the panic yet. It's only when they hear a sharp crack and see a titanic white figure emerge from behind a building that they understand what's going on.

They freeze, hoping that the immense she-wolf will pass them by, hoping that if they don't move they won't draw her attention to them, but soon she begins heading their way. So big is she that even walking sideways to fit between the buildings, her hips and chest are squeezed between them, resulting in cracked windows at the level of her butt and bust, until she emerges from the street.

Her taking a single step into the park is enough to break the stillness and send everyone running. She laughs and sways playfully, pondering the prey at her feet, then apparently dismisses them and simply walks over to the middle of the park, lying down and stretching out on its surface where she yawns and stretches out, relaxing as she basks in the sun. Soon she is asleep, and remains soundly so even as the wail of sirens starts up all over the city.

-----

Seen from a mile away, the city's skyline appears transformed. Many buildings are missing, and many more lie behind the giant canine, whose body, even lying on her back, beats even city's tallest building twice over in height. The evacuation has been going on for an hour now and half the population is now safely outside the city. Safe, but for how long?

The woman's growth shows no signs of slowing down; if anything, it's accelerating. Already her body upends the earth and gives rise to new hills as her body pushes the earth outwards with its expansion. Given another hour, those hills might become mountains. And if she outgrows the planet itself in her sleep? Then she will have destroyed the world without so much as moving a muscle.

How long she will keep growing is the question on everyone's minds, yet no one can offer an answer. All anyone can do is watch on and hope for the best.