- Text Size +

Chapter 4: Office


Kyo hadn’t recognized it from her new lofty height at first, but she was looking into her old workplace.


Not sure what to say or do, she simply waved.


“Uh, hi!”


Mr. Shigoto’s secretary didn’t seem to expect Kyo’s voice to be as loud as it was. It also seems she didn’t know how to respond either, as the two just stared at each other for a bit before the secretary just run off with the others.

Kyo sighed, fogging the building’s windows with her breath.


It seemed that everything today was going against her.


No job, no boyfriend. The sounds of screams from the people scrambling near her feet let her know that even strangers seem to hate her now.


‘Sure, I did kill a few of them, but it was by mistake. Why can’t they take a pause and realize that?’, she thought.


Then she kept thinking.


Perhaps being big wasn’t too terrible. The office she got fired from was now only about twice as tall as she was. Random people were shouting out and calling her a monster but, well, they were small, and she was big, so they couldn’t really hurt her physically. Why should she let them hurt her feelings?


Then again random people on the street didn’t have guns, or bazookas, or tanks. She had seen enough monster movies to know it can hurt when those things come out.


Down by her feet, she looked down and saw a bunch of her old coworkers running out of the building. Seems there was issues evacuating, but still many employees managed to leave. They ran past her feet like rats to get to the other side of the street. She smiled a tad, finding herself rather literally above it all.


Then, she saw two familiar faces: well, the tops of their heads at least. It was those security guards that had thrown her out of the building, more or less, not too long ago.


“Hey!”, she barked down at them. “Remember me!”

One of them looked up and nudged the other fellow’s shoulder. They kept their sunglasses on which hid any facial expression partially, but Kyo very much got the vibe they did remember, as they turned to each other then started to run.


Kyo lifted her foot up and pinned the two of them. She wasn’t quite sure what was coming over her, but it felt good. It felt good to see the two burly goons who manhandled her just barely sticking out from under the side of her foot. It also rather literally felt good. All their strength pounding against the side of her foot: their legs kicking against the arch or whatever part of her sole they could reach...


It felt nice indeed. Like a little massage. The writhing and squirming they did made her feel powerful.


“Yes, for once, I can push people around. Ha!”

With that, Kyo stepped down and felt them crush. She wiped her foot off on a sedan parked roadside, then looked back up at her old office building.


Kyo had one thought on her mind, and it wasn’t about how her moral foundation was so unsteady, that took her less than 15 minutes since getting power that she became evil--or an anti-hero at the least.


No, her thought was about revenge.


“Finally.”, she mused, aloud. “Real power. Power to get back at the jerks who wronged me, starting with my old boss.”

“Do you hear me Mr. Shigoto! I’m coming for you!”, she yelled.


“You can’t stay on that top floor forever. I know you’re up there. You’d never leave your precious cuckoo clocks alone in times of danger. I’ve seen enough movies to know how to get to the top of a building when big.”

With a something-eating grin, Kyo got ready to climb. She reached her arms up and plunged her hands into the office building as people near the impact of her fingers started falling. She paid them no heed.


‘They are just obstacles to my revenge.’, she thought.


‘No, they aren’t even obstacles, cause they aren’t really even in the way. They are just kind of there. Like confetti, celebrating my revenge without a choice. Yeah, that makes sense.’


With her hands firmly gripped on the sturdiest part of the floor, Kyo swung one foot through the front entrance, knocking over a support beam or two as she attempted to use the handholds she had to climb.


And, the entire building started to fall on her.


It wasn’t even those support beams she knocked over as the main cause. They were a factor, sure, but she was 50ft of woman and the building was very much not designed to withstand that sort of adjacent force vector tugging on it. She was strong enough to bend steel now, and weighed tens of tons. Simply grabbing the floor was a huge structural stability violation. Tugging with her hands made for uncontrolled demolition.


The building didn’t just fall over like a vertical cardboard box tilting one way. No, it was partially collapsing at the same time. She had severally weakened the floor she grabbed, thus causing a collapses centered there even as the building tilted towards her at the same time.


“Uh oh...” was all she managed to mutter before her body was buried under pounds of dust and concrete.


To her luck, though, was that an entire room in the building was relatively intact, save its missing roof. It rested atop her bosom as she lay prone on her back. She looked inside to see none other than her old boss, Mr. Shigoto, clenching his fists near some broken cuckoo clocks.


“My clocks!”, he said.

He turned around to look at up Kyo’s looming face.


“You broke some of them! You idiot! This is why I fired you, you’re a screw-up!”


Kyo quickly shook the rubble out of her hair. Her hands gripped either side of the box-like room chunk as she slowly stood up.


“That’s where you’re wrong Mr. Shigoto. I meant to do that! Well, I meant to get revenge on you at least, and now I’ve got you almost right where I want you.”


She moved to the side and set the excised executive office on a relatively clear part of the road. Then, she sat up on her knees, knocking more rubble from her body, which in fell to crush any of the trapped office workers who didn’t die when their place of employment tumbled on down.


That done, she simply leaned down and pinched up Mr. Shigoto. He tried to run of course, but he wasn’t exactly in peak physical condition. Eventually he tripped over Kyo’s middle finger as she suddenly extended in front of his footing. From there, she easily snatched him up by the scruff of his suit jacket and popped him down onto her palm


“Ok *now* I’ve got you right where I want you.”

Grinning down at him, she rose to her full 50ft height without much warning or gentleness. Shigoto could feel his head lurch as it felt like he rode an elevator up a few stories in the span of a second.


She curled her fingers around him, holding his arms to his side in her inescapable grip. She brought her doll sized boss close to her mouth.


“How’s it feel to feel like the little person for once.”

“Dammit Kyo! Stop this nonsense.”

“Not at all. I’m gonna put an end to your cigar smoking, people-firing cruelties once and for all.”

“No...”

“That’s right, but first. I want you to see something. I want to destroy your life like you kind of destroyed mine, for a little bit, till I suddenly got into this ‘being-big’ thing.”

Kyo looked down at his office, and the vast quantity of cuckoo clocks contained within. Most were still pristine enough, for now.

She lifted her foot and hovered it above the office.


“Nooooo!”, he shouted. “Not my cuckoo clocks, no!”

Kyo, laughing manically, stomped down on the south side of the dislocated room. The sounds of gears crushing and asynchronous, malfunctioning “Koo Koo”s was like music to her ears.


“Nooooo! Nooo! I recognize those koos. Some of those clocks were imported from Italy”

“Hahahaha!”


Cackling almost, Kyo lifted her foot again for another stomp atop his desk and the wall near it. The glass-paned side of the room broke, but the sharp shards couldn’t even scratch her flesh let alone cut her. Then then stepped on another wall, and was rewarded with more distorted “Koo Koo”s.


“Noooo! That last sad ‘Koo Koo’ came from an artisanal crafted piece from Germany. Only 10 were ever made, it was over 200 years old!.”


With only one wall left, Kyo rested her foot along the top of it, lengthwise, and slowly pressed down.


“No no no no!!!”, shouted the middle-aged man. His screams and squirmings only served to delight Kyo as she placed her weight down on the last bit of his office, and the cuckoo clocks which had piled up on the ground as the wall came crashing down.


“Stop! Stop this now. I can still salvage those if you just don’t-”


Koo KoooOooOooo”


Kyo finished her step with a satisfied smirk plastered on her face. Tiny wooden birds flew out from the side of her foot as it settled. Splinters, too, burst out from under her foot as it compressed all that meticulously crafted wood and gears to junk. None puncture her skin or anything though, as that would’ve sucked.


Mr. Shigoto had a brief moment of silence as the very last of his collection was snuffed out. All the cuckoo clocks, and the cuckoo clock related awards: gone.


‘Smashed under the foot of an idiot ex-employee.’, he thought to himself.


“You, you...”, he began.


Kyo leaned in, smiling near ear to ear with glee.


“You buffoon! You big, brute buffoon! That you did this. Grrr...”

He silently wormed in her grip some, face turning a beet red with impotent rage. Kyo laughed up a storm.


“Oh this is rich! But, someone as grumpy and ugly and mean as you doesn’t deserve to live, so I think I’ll finish you off.”

She moved her free hand over, and primed an index finger to flick Shigoto’s head right off.

Then, on the other end of a street, a military vehicle with a mini-gun rolled by. The armament turned towards Kyo and started firing. The shots didn’t hurt her, but they did sting a tiny bit: like painful tickles.


She looked over their way. “Hey, quit it!”

They did not, in fact, quit it. They kept firing as she shielded her tummy, their target, with the hand she was just about to kill Mr. Shigoto with.


“Making me use my killing hand for this.”, she grumbled.


The truck fired away till it run out of bullets. Kyo took a step or two close to it, a scowl on her face. She was ready to flatten it to bits.


But, before she could get the chance, and before the crew could even think about reloading, a bright red laser bolt hit it, and the vehicle exploded before Kyo’s recently green eyes.


“What the? Hey I was gonna take care of that! Where’d that even come from-”

Kyo’s train of thought quickly derailed as she looked up and to the right towards the laser’s source. A silver circular craft hovered in the air and into view as it cleared the obscuring building. The discus-like vehicle was wider at the base and middle with a small transparent dome for a cockpit. It was unclear precisely how the craft maneuvered itself with such ease, but there were three glowing yellow lights shining lightly out the craft’s bottom.


Looking into the distance Kyo noticed a lot more of them. In fact, one of the crafts was different. It was big, about as big as her. That far more clunkier looking craft hovered far away, thankfully.


“I can’t believe it. Are those, UFOs?”, said Kyo aloud.


“Idiot!”, barked Mr. Shigoto from his place in her grip. “I can see your head growing didn’t actually make you smarter! Those flying objects aren’t unidentified at all.”

“Hey watch your tone, also what the heck do you mean?”

“Check the TV.”

“What TV?”

“The one on the building to your left? The one on the building right outside my office, when it was still intact and attached to the workplace!!!”

Kyo turned to view it.


“Oh.”

The headline beneath the various news footage on the building-mounted screen seemed to confirm it.


“Really.”, began Kyo.


“I guess it actually is...”