- Text Size +

Edith had a friend in the volleyball club named Denny, who was often telling her about his crushes on adult ladies. He’d fallen for a shop assistant, a librarian, a waitress, and a few others. Yet he’d never thought to ask one of them on a date, as boys at that age simply didn’t know what to do about their feelings. One day, after the volleyball game, Edith showed him a photograph of a very beautiful adult woman.

“Do you like her?” asked Edith.

“Do I ever!” said Denny.

“I can take a photo of you and show it to her. If she likes it, I’ll introduce you to her.”

“Yes, please do!” said Denny.

A week later, Edith told Denny that the woman was very keen to meet him for a date.

“Her name’s Moynie. I’ll walk you over to her place on Saturday. It’s a bit of a hike, but she’d love to see you.”

“I won’t mind the hike at all,” said Denny.

“Can you meet me at the near end of the forest at around eight in the morning?”

“I’ll leave home with time to spare,” said Denny.

They made their rendezvous as planned. Edith led Denny through the forest and then through the meadow, up into the hills and into a larger version of the forest, which stretched for countless miles. Deep into the high forest they walked, until they came to a point where Edith suddenly stopped. She led him into some thick bush area.

“The way to Moynie’s garden is just around here somewhere. Hold my hand, so we don’t get separated,” said Edith.

After they’d walked a little way, Denny suddenly found that the forest seemed to vanish from around them, and they were now on an open stretch of grass. There was a house in the distance, but something about it didn’t make sense to Denny. It was as if the angle of its perspective didn’t look correct, or something. He didn’t have the words to explain it.

The front door opened and a woman stepped out.

“Here’s Moynie now,” said Edith.

They waited as the woman drew closer, and then Denny saw that it was not just the house that looked out of perspective, but also the woman. She approached them with graceful strides, and he suddenly worked out what the visual perspective issue was. Both the house and Moynie were gigantic in size.

“She’s a giant, like this whole garden!” said Denny.

“The portal we just went through is invisible, and not on the main path in our high forest on earth. That’s why I always have to feel about until I pass through it,” said Edith.

Moynie drew closer and then sat down in front of them.

“This is Denny,” said Edith.

“I’m very pleased to meet you,” said Moynie.

“Me too,” said Denny.

“Well I’m glad you’re pleased to meet yourself,” said Edith.

“I know what he means,” said Moynie, laughing at Denny’s demonstration of nervous shyness, which had already been described for her by Edith, “Denny, I own a number of houses in this land. One of my others is within easy walking distance from this one… easy walking distance for me, I mean. Edith discovered this garden while walking in the forest, and she told me all about your world. I said that she could have this house as a gift from me, if she introduced me to a boy your size, just so long as I could still use this garden as a meeting place with the boy. This is the only place that links our two lands, as far as we know.”