- Text Size +

If it worked, she would enjoy dining on him, just as she had done with the fish, and he would be leaving his old life in a way that thrilled him beyond any of his wildest previous expectations.

There was no sense or rationality to it. Yet she had awakened something in Patrick which drew him to his telephone with no regard for the consequences.

He dialled the number he had been given, when she had first contacted him for an interview.

“Colleen speaking,” said Colleen.

“I’ve been thinking about reconsidering,” said Patrick.

“I don’t tend to talk specifics of business over the telephone,” said Colleen.

“Sorry,” said Patrick, as he realised that what he contemplated would need to be kept secret, out of consideration for her.

“I can see you at 3:00 today,” said Colleen.

“I’ll come in by 2:45,” said Patrick.

 

                                    *******************************

 

Colleen looked enticing, as she opened the door to her office once more, and showed him to the couch this time. She closed the door and sat beside him.

“Now, tell me about your ruminations,” she said.

He told her, with decreasing embarrassment as she made every effort to reassure him that she appreciated his confidences of how much he had thought of her.

“So you’re finding it hard to put it out of your thoughts,” she said.

“Yes, it started that way.”

“Well I’m very flattered. Even though you’re not willing to take it on, you’ve shown you’re as enticed by the idea as I am. I never judged you for not wanting to go the final distance in reality. I’m aware of the greater benefits open to me, from such an exchange. What can I do for you, now that you’re here?”

Patrick had a thought, which had only just come to him.

“When you did the screening test, you used my left cheek,” he said.

“I remember.”

“Could you do the other one?”

She drew him closer and put her tongue to work.

“Have you found anyone else to take on the task?” he asked.

“You remember the confidentiality clause you signed on the application form?”

“The one where I agreed not to discuss the interview with anyone?”

“Yes.”

“It’s become even more important lately. I’ve run out of applicants from running the advertisement in the newspapers. I’ve had to outsource more applicants from employment agencies and consultants. You were right, when you pointed out that nobody would be likely to agree to be reduced and eaten.”

“I meant that then, but Colleen, I’ve reached the point where I’d find it harder not to.”

“Have you really?” she asked.

“Yes. Do you think there’s a real chance you’ll have the reduction problem licked?”

She laughed.

“Was that pun intended?” she asked.

“Oh, ‘licked’. No, I didn’t think that way,” he said, smiling at his own choice of words.

“Yes Patrick. I’m confidant I can do it. It might have to be done in several stages. You could end up spending a while as a midget, albeit a slimmer than usual midget, before I can get you down to less than two inches in height, but it should be possible.”

“I’d like to accept the position,” he said.

Colleen touched his cheeks, this time with her hands, and kissed him.