- Text Size +

"You know! I thought I was too small to be seen clearly. When did you recognize me?"

"When I brought you close to my face. You don’t look quite like a Leprechaun. You’re thinner and sweeter. I looked closely at your facial features and recognized you.”

“Are you disappointed that I played this trick on you?” he asked.

“No, little darling. I’m not disappointed at all. I just wonder how you knew about my leprechaun quest and the machine. You must have overheard me talking to Miss Woodfield about it at school.”

“I hadn’t set out to eavesdrop. I was playing hide and seek in the bushes, and you both came and sat just near me.”

"Little boy, I think it's immeasurably kind of you to go to all this trouble for me, but haven't you thought the way it will turn out? When I gulp you down, you'll be on a one way journey to my stomach. You'll be part of me forever. What makes a little boy brave enough to volunteer for such a thing?"

"There are three reasons," said Henry, "The first one is to make you happy. You have waited so long for this. The second reason is that you said you only wanted to eat one Leprechaun. This way I have saved them all from being hunted by you in the future, if they do exist. The last reason is that your tongue looked so nice, when you were eating your strawberries that day when I was hiding in the bushes. I have been looking forward to being a tasty treat for your tongue. I think that your wish will be my most thrilling experience too. The last reason is that I’m in love with you, Miss Balfour."

"You’re very kind and sweet to say such things. I'm honoured," she said.

"Are you still going to eat me then?"

She put the front of her tongue out of her mouth and pressed his face against it.

"Of course I'm going to eat you," she said, "You taste very nice, and I'm sure you'll be as lovely to eat as any little Leprechaun. I'm just a little sorry that you're not one of the Leprechaun people. I’ll put the cage away too. Since you don't want to escape, I might as well give you the maximum comfort and freedom in the house," said Miss Balfour.

The doorbell rang. She went and let in a friend of hers.

It was Miss Woodfield, the only other person who knew of Miss Balfour’s quest for a Leprechaun. 

The two ladies sat at the table. Miss Balfour placed Henry on the table.

"You caught one! Isn't he handsome!" said Miss Woodfield, "I wouldn't have the heart to gobble one up, but would you mind if I licked him?"

"If he doesn't object," said Miss Balfour, "Would you like Miss Woodfield to lick you, little Leprechaun?"

"Well probably. Miss Woodfield, could you please let me have a look at your tongue, before I decide?"

"I'd be delighted," said Miss Woodfield.

She put out her tongue and Henry looked at it.

"You would be most welcome to lick me, Miss Woodfield. Your tongue looks as nice as your beautiful face."

"Thank you!" He's certainly a charming little thing, isn't he?" said Miss Woodfield.

She picked Henry up and licked him.