- Text Size +

Chapter 6: The Night Watch


The survivors walked into their common area, sweaty, bloody and tired. Some were emotionless and others were fired up, ready for more. This room was new and had a different layout so Lara would have to find somewhere else for them to relax, she chose a corner, knowing they had made enemies, their defensive positioning was important if they were attacked at any point. The regulars all made constant eye contact with each other, trying to figure out their plays being that there were now only 6 of them remaining, their last game was a total wipe out compared to the minimized. The minimized were in control for the entire game, removing 14 regulars from the game-show. Andrea kept her dagger-like eyes firmly planted on Lara, who cowered away from her clutching Joel & Theo in her grasp.

They settled down at two beds with their backs to the wall, Lara resorted to sleeping on the floor same as last night in order to stay close to the ground where she could protect the boys, putting her padding from her bed onto the floor Joel attempted to speak to her to break their silence whilst Theo wasn't paying attention. - "Are you okay?" he asked.

"Not really, no. That poor man, screamed for his life in front of me. In- in- in the first game it.. it was easier because I couldn't see them, it was like- you know." 

"Killing bugs..." Joel uttered quietly.

"No! Well- yes... but you see this time I had to pull him out and hold him in my hands, the same way I held both you and... Theo. I saw his hair, his features, heard his voice and the mannerisms he had when he spoke. His personality splashed all over me, people show their true colors in death, it felt like I knew him. Then I had no choice because he was going to tell everyone you guys cheated for me. I had- I had-" she converted her vocals to whisper, lowering her head to Joel in order to avoid Theo hearing her. "I had to rip him in half instantly, to avoid us getting into danger, if the guards heard that Theo cheated, he would've been killed." her voice was shaky. "It wouldn't have been so hard if he wasn't so close to me and I could feel the humanity in him, which I hadn't before, not even with the other guy I killed a minute before."

"I'm sorry you had to do that, but I appreciate you making that sacrifice on you mentality  for us. We didn't do it to be selfish, we did it to save you."

"I know Joel, you're both very sweet and I'm going to be honest, I didn't think you guys would be able to help me much. I mainly wanted to protect both of you but you managed to anyway. Thank you." she leaned over him and lowered her giant lips onto the top of his head, giving him a large kiss. Joel blushed whilst looking at her smiling back at him.

Theo rolled over to face both of them in his bed. - "I can hear you guys."

"Sorry Theo." Lara said whilst grimacing.

"I wasn't complaining, but like- don't assume I can't hear you or don't understand what you are talking about, I'm 14 you know. I'm old enough." Theo said to the pair

"Then let's talk about how FAST YOU WERE. GODDAMN." Joel jumped up on his bed waving his hands in the air causing Theo & Lara to laugh. "I told you, you'd blow everyone away with your insane speed. Where'd you learn to run like that?" Joel asked.

"Well when I've been running to school my whole life, we've always lived too far away from the school & mom said we couldn't afford the bus or a bike so I just ran always, it got me there so she just assumed it was fine for me to keep doing that. I guess I just got fast? I was late quite a lot when I started school but I never miss class anymore." Theo explained, garnering a sad reaction out of Joel at moments even when Theo didn't intend to generate sympathy, but rather just explain himself.

"Well I thought you were exceptional, I was the 2nd last to go so I saw everyone run, you were the fastest." Lara explained whilst smirking, hoping to get Theo pumped up.

"Was I really??" Theo said whilst getting really excited.

"Absolutely." she smiled.

Theo smiled whilst thinking about his achievement he became distracted by Lara's bloodied feet, causing him to remember all the violence causing his breathing to go shaky as deeply inhaled and exhaled. 

"Lara, did- did you kill someone?" He said whilst watching her feet, she noticed his gaze and tucked them away behind her to hide the red stains on her soles, choosing to sit on her knees instead. 

"Theo, I didn't get a choice, I did what I did in order to get through so that I can protect both of you. I was forced to kill that man back there like that. But I'd die before I let that same death happen to you... Do you believe me?"

"Yeah.." he nodded allowing a small smile to enter his face once again.

"I suppose that's my cue to go wash up. You guys didn't wash yesterday, it might be a good idea to do that today. Plus it's not safe for me to leave you here. Not anymore." She explained before dropping her hand for them to join her.


"Larry how would you like to stick with me if further team-modes come up?" Thomas explained with his hands clasped inside each other not allowing his hands to fidget in order to avoid breaking his facade of confidence, Thomas eagerly awaited Larry's response.

"100% Thomas. I think you're a great strategist and as long as you help protect me by giving me directions, I'd be a great asset in doing the dirty work."

"Excellent, that's the stuff I'd want to avoid, you see. Because my strengths are not in that camp so you'd understand where I'm coming from there, right?"

"Yeah, I do." Larry replied.

"Unfortunately because of our earlier removal of Beth, the giant. I've likely lost both of my large partners who I befriended earlier in the games, Lisa who is..." he turned with his index finger pointed and raised, spotting the lean blonde girl in the distance sitting alone looking in the direction of Lara & Joel. "That girl there, she was friends with our opponent in the obstacle course. So she's off the table" Thomas turned back and stopped pointing at Lisa.

"Are you suggesting we make another?" Larry asked confused.

"Absolutely, we're definitely going to need one, in my opinion. The probability of a game directly involving a giant partner is coming up, game-shows need to spice up their content and that would make for an interesting dynamic. I'd put serious cash on the game-show creators having a game like that ingrained into the system." Thomas seemed incredibly confident and well spoken whilst explaining to Larry.

"Do you have anyone in mind?"

"Not at the moment but that's what me and you need to discuss. Being that we are a team and all." This response from Thomas caused Larry to nod his head multiple times, clearly in agreeance with this team-like collaboration. Thomas turned once again to survey all the giants in the room. - "Lisa. Off the table as I explained. That girl she is looking at, the one walking towards the shower, I can't recall her name, if you look closely she has two minimized in her hand. I've had a previous negative altercation with one by the name of Joel, it's highly unlikely he'll trust me enough, thus his giantess will not either." Thomas continued to turn around further looking for other girls in the room. - "Shy girl Incredibly timid, doesn't want to do harm, seems protective."

"Protective? then there we go" Larry said with strong emphasis on this idea.

"Not so fast, she's not a big fan of violence or killing. We can't trust her to stick her neck out for us in the event of our danger." Thomas continued "This athletic girl, toned, fast, strong. I believe her name is Alessia. She's strong but shes also a lone wolf, she likes to focus on herself." - "This woman, I believe shes been forced into the games with her husband so they've been working together, I remember him saying her name but it's lost on me. But whilst she's likely a great protector, that protection is limited for her husband at this time." - "That brings me to my suggestion-" he turned to face Andrea who was sitting on her bed relaxing next to Alessia.

"You can't be serious!" Larry exclaimed

"I am Larry. Andrea is ruthless, strong & wants to win at all costs, she's willing to get dirty when it's needed."

"She's a psychopath, especially towards the minimized people. Why would she want to work with us?" Larry genuinely wanted an explanation here but he didn't think there could be any real reason that would convince him.

"Andrea is in desperate need of direction, strategic direction and she knows it. She won't admit it which is why we won't patronize her but rather let her choose for herself, she'll team with us. She saw our play last game, she knows we're strong. If we can get a ruthless psychopath on our side, we'll be the strongest group in here. She'll tear down anyone we recommend to her for strategic reasons, big or small. Can you imagine that power?" Thomas explained his plan with fury and energy, feeling like his plan was fool-proof.

"Thomas, you have to remember. That power can easily be reflected back onto his, she may have zero feelings or care for anyone in here but that also applies onto us. She'll take us out in a heart beat." Larry was shaking in fear at this reckless course of action Thomas was going to take.

"At a point yes, in which case we're already in the home stretch, we won't need a giant anymore." Thomas smirked.

"I think it's a terrible idea. But the last time I doubted you, you proved me wrong. I'll follow you." Larry put his hand out, Thomas responded with an agreeable handshake.

"Excellent." Thomas began making his way towards Andrea with Larry at his side.


Lara made her way out of the shower, feeling steamed and fresh. Getting a breath of the clearer air in the main area with all the beds, the two boys in her hands also seemed incredibly relaxed from being cleaner. - "I didn't realize how much I needed that..." Joel said whilst lying on his back in her palm, feeling the warmth on his now-soft skin. Lara shot him a smile, Theo appeared to be falling asleep next to him. Suddenly a voice came over the speaker system.

"ATTENTION. TOMORROW FOR GAME THREE YOU WILL BE PARTICIPATING IN A TEAM GAME, YOU MUST FIND THE PARTNERS NECESSARY BEFORE THIS GAME STARTS. YOU WILL REQUIRE 5 MINIMIZED AND 1 REGULAR TEAMMATE FOR ONE TEAM. NOTE THAT TWO TEAMS WILL BE MADE UP OF 4 MINIMIZED INSTEAD DUE TO AN IMBALANCE OF PLAYERS, PLAYERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO SEARCH FAST TO AVOID THIS DISADVANTAGE."

Joel looked up at Lara who looked back at him. - "Looks like we're finally going to be working together for once."

She returned with a "Yes, but we're gonna need more players and unfortunately due to our bad blood with Andrea nobody wants to be on our team, Joel."

"We'll get some people, don't worry." Joel looked out at the room surveying all the players, with confidence.


"I called it, didn't I? Isn't that proof enough that I know my stuff?" Thomas explained to Andrea who glared down at him.

"Why would I work together with you and not another weak-ass tiny instead?" Andrea bewilderingly looked at him, thinking this man was out of his mind.

"I might be small but my brain is not, my intelligence doesn't change when I get smaller. You saw how we performed last round, didn't you?"

"I did. That was a fluke, that dainty bitch couldn't have finished that race any slower."

"Ah ah ah" he tapped his finger as he interrupted her. "Only because of my intervention, I managed to avoid 100% of all danger in the first game. You think I got lucky twice?" Thomas explained whilst retaining his high level of confidence, attempting not to break in front of this evil figure. Larry couldn't say the same as he shook and cowered behind Thomas.

"You've piqued my interest. What do I call you?" Andrea said with a smile

"Thomas. This is Larry behind me."

"Yeah whatever, I don't give a shit about Larry." Andrea said whilst snickering, Larry turned his head back and forth from Thomas to Andrea, hoping he heard her wrong. If he didn't have her protection as much as Thomas did then she couldn't be trusted.

"You know other people in here? you know me, I'm not so popular with the insects." Andrea asked Thomas whilst leaning in. He attempted not to flinch from her approach or change his facial expression in order to keep his confidence and thus her respect, Larry inspected a sweat droplet travelling down Thomas' head, revealing his nervousness.

"I believe I do. I'll construct us a team." said Thomas.

"Good. Get to it." Andrea commanded, Thomas turned and headed out with Larry on a recruiting mission.


"I'm Peter"

"Nice to talk to you, Peter. I'm Joel, this here is Theo and up there is Lara." Joel explained, above Lara gave a short wave with her hand as she squatted over the group talking, enveloping them in a protective shadow.

"I was a solider, just got discharged and then got brought into this shit hole, but it's not all bad, I can handle a lot of what I see here. Just a hard blow to go from a war zone straight to this." Peter explained whilst Joel & Lara nodded, following along with the man. - "I believe in the greater good and you guys are the only people here that fit the description, I'm fast and strong and I can follow orders. I'm highly trained in the use of weaponry and on the field tactics, most of which aren't useful here but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Would you like to form a team?"

Joel smiled and looked up at Lara whilst nodding. - "Definitely."


"You'll be happy to know that I've gotten some people, fairly quickly." Thomas explained to Andrea, she opened her hands out indicating "show me" which Thomas did.

"This here is Neil, Brandon & Richard. Neil is tall and fast, Brandon is short and strong and Richard is well a decent balance. They should be able to handle most things we need them to." Thomas awaited Andreas response to this, instead she just nodded and waved them away using her hand, dismissing them from her presence. The men settled down near the leg of Andreas bed, Richard gravitated towards Larry who seemed nervous.

"What's got you so worked up, pal? You've got a full team, and not one of 4, one of 5. Meaning you've not got the handicap." Richard spoke to Larry who couldn't stop sweating lightly on his head from nervousness.

"You don't understand man, that girl, Andrea. She's crazy & violent." Larry frantically waved his arms, they were around the other side of the leg, speaking firmly yet quietly.

"Sounds good to me, she'll rip up the competition, man. What's to worry about?" Richard seemed totally clueless.

"Or she'll rip us up." The realization then dawned on Richard who started to frown.

"So what do we do? we can't back out now." Richard asked.

Larry looked to his right around the bed leg to see if any of the guys were listening. - "We'll keep an eye on her, same as the other teams, all we have to do is not get comfortable and don't do anything she says that we think is unsafe. But I just want you to know that she isn't going to protect us, but that's my opinion."

"Yeah, I feel you, pal. Appreciate it, we'll stick close, me and you, watch each others backs." they both nodded in agreement, forming a new alliance within their own group already. Around the corner Andreas feet planted on the ground off the bed and walked towards the bed leg, stopping right before all the inch-tall men who were crowded around her bed leg relaxing or talking, they all got uneasy seeing her gigantic feet inches away from them, her black nails reflecting in the light, they heard creaking as her body lowered itself to the ground. Allowing her face to present itself in front of them as she got on her side, holding her head up with her hand on the skull and the elbow on the ground.

"So. Thomas. I want to hear some of your strategies." She explained awaiting his response.

"Right now? I mean the game hasn't even been announced yet... I-" before Thomas could explain himself she interrupted.

"No shit, but I'm talking about general ideas, not game specific. Who can we trust, who should we target. Maybe we could sneak a kill in tonight? What's our play?" Her eyes stared him down, ready for any direction. Thomas realized he had her under his thumb, this was what he wanted, she knew she didn't know what to do, she was just being aggressive and going with the flow. Now he could pilot this destructive creature like a kaiju and destroy everyone and everything, his mind lit up with evil thoughts about all the things he could get this girl to do, remaining professional and calm on the outside he began with-

"There is one thing we can do." His eyes lighting up with violence.


Lara lay on the floor staring at the ceiling her eyes struggling to stay open, her exhaustion from today had gotten to her, she didn't have to work this hard in the first game. On her right Joel was also falling asleep, Theo already was. - "So who is taking first watch?" Joel asked her, sitting upwards to give his attention.

Lara also rolled over, her breasts rolling over in her bra pushing sideways as she rolled on her side to also give Joel her attention in conversation. - "I can take the first one."

"Are you sure? you look tired." Joel looked concerned.

"I'm not, it'll be fine. Honestly." turning onto her back to stare at the ceiling again, Joel did a quick scan of her body that he hadn't seen before as she had her tank top off, able to see her breasts held within the captivity of her bra and her belly showing, she then put her tank top back on as Joel quickly darted his eyes away to pretend he wasn't watching.

"Alrighty, good luck tomorrow and good night. Wake me up in 4 or 5 hours." he rolled over to face away from her.

"No problem, good night." she placed her tank top over her head and then her chest, looking down at Joels back as she flipped her hair out from behind the clothing. Lying back again, thinking. What if we had met on the outside, would we like each other? Maybe it's just because of dire circumstances. I wonder what he'd look like normal sized, maybe I'd see more details of his face? Lara thought to herself about Joel, she liked him a lot but she wasn't sure if he felt the same, they didn't have time to discuss such things in this life & death situation. Maybe things would change one day but only one of them could get out of this alive.


"JOEL! LARA!" Joel's eyes darted open instantly from hearing Theo's voice call him by his actual name, he sat up in the darkness thinking he had a nightmare again, looking to his right to see Theo flying away between a pair of fingers. Joel dove out from under his blanket shouting- "LARA!!!".

Lara let out a "huh?" as she rolled over seeing Theo vanish into darkness. "NO!" she sat up attempting to jump up to her feet, suddenly something wrapped around her neck and pulled her towards the ground, the pressure rose around her neck like a snake constricting her with it's body. Joel turned to see Alessia as his eyes adjusted to the dark, she had her thick leg wrapped around Lara's neck.

Alessia whispered into her ear. - "Struggle more, give me an excuse to snap your little neck."

Joel sprinted forward towards the hand that stole Theo only to be tackled to the ground by two bulky men, who then lifted him off the ground holding a shoulder each. The tall man on his right lifting Joels head for him to direct it upwards, his eyes adjusted fully to see the goddess before him, Andrea. Clutching Theo between her fingers, Theo struggled whilst screaming. - "YOU LEAVE HIM THE FUCK ALONE. HE'S JUST A KID." Joel exclaimed.

"A kid who is going to be a big pain in our ass going forwards, we saw him run. We aren't going to let potential like that go to other teams." her evil smirk drenched fear all over Joel as she spoke, then lowering Theo and wedging his tiny body beneath her right foot, she rested the ball of her foot on top of his body. On the left of the foot was Thomas, who stood staring at Joel, the same evil smirk on his face. The perfect evil duo coming together to enact the devils work.

"Take me. Please, leave the kid." Joel pleaded, tears falling down his face as he watched a hulking mass press on top of Theo lightly, Theo looked forward from under the foot constantly looking Joel in the eyes.

"You? oh please. We'll kill you in the regular games easily anyways, this boy on the other hand. Too fast."

"He doesn't deserve this, it's not fair." Joel pleaded, screaming out for Theo's protection. Lara held her arm out, unable to speak from the constriction on her vocal chords from Alessia's powerful leg, tears also streamed down her face.

"The games would've gotten to him anyways. The true injustice isn't my actions, but the actions of the owners of this entire operation. Take it up with them. Anyways, I think I've soaked up the moment long enough. Let's get this over with." Andrea looked down at her foot and started pressing causing Theo's body to shake from the pressure as the monolithic weight crushed him. Joel screamed "NOOOOOOOOO" one last time before Peter cracked the short man on the left with a powerful elbow, the tall man on his right attempting to keep Joel under control as Joel twisted his arm and threw him over his shoulder to the ground. Joel sprinted forward watching the woman press harder and harder as Theo vanished behind the foot. Joel reached out with his hand. Out of nowhere Andrea's head flew backwards from a strong impact on her forehead, causing her to catapult backwards onto her back, the foot releasing from Theo.

Lisa emerged from the shadows holding a metal cylinder, more specifically what appeared to be a bed leg. Lara took her chance by throwing her own head backwards colliding with Alessia's and pulling the powerful leg off her. "Catch" shouted Lisa as she threw the metal pipe allowing Lara to catch it in mid-air and thump it straight off Alessia's head knocking her out cold. Lisa then grabbed the tiny Theo off the ground in her hand. "Sorry" she whispered to him in her hand as she looked at Lara giving her another order. "Swap." Lara noticed she was throwing something at her, it must have been Theo, Lara's eyes went wide as she realized this, throwing the metal leg with her left hand towards Lisa as she threw Theo through the air. Lara jumped to her feet catching Theo in both of her hands creating a basket as Lisa caught the pipe turning around and whacking Andrea on the nose with it sending her falling backwards again.

Down below Joel was being grabbed violently by the shorter man who was then violently punched by Peter again sending him flying backwards, Peter was carrying a fair amount of muscle allowing him to pummel the man into the ground. Lisa then turned back around from batting Andrea's head a home-run. - "Take care of those two." she pointed towards the quad of men below. Lara nodded understanding her orders, sending her foot straight into the ground between Theo and Joel's bed forgetting that Peter was a part of their squad now, Peter watched as Lara attempted to stomp on him. He quickly rolled under his bed as the foot landed straight on top of it causing it to bend downwards onto his body, the metal legs of the tiny bed violently shook, Peter hoped to god they held out otherwise the weight would push onto him instead. Watching the other men evade the crush as well, what was she doing? Theo was passed out in her palms, Lara thought he was likely dead as she cried whilst attempting to exterminate the vermin who helped do this to him.

Lisa attempted to deal with Thomas who walked backwards with his hands up as Lisa stomped closer to him. - "Long time no see." He joked nervously. But before Lisa could eliminate him her legs were swept by Andrea who lunged forward after she fell and scooped up Thomas, taking off backwards with blood dripping down her face. "I'm going to kill all of you." Andrea said, her evil emanating over them all. Alessia kicked herself backwards away from Lara who couldn't stop her from evading because she was using her hands to take care of Theo. The two men in front ran backwards towards Andrea, punching at her toes as she dropped downwards and also lifted them up. Peter slipped out from under the bed to see Lara had stopped her blind rampage on the beds.

The group of Alessia & Andrea walked backwards away from them, evading to head back to their sleeping area. Allowing Joel's group to rest easy as they all took deep breaths, Joel collapsed onto his bed just as Lara fell onto her ass.

"Theo.. Theo.. please wake up" Joel got back up and ran towards her palm as she placed him onto the bed Joel was just on. Joel shook him and whispered to him quietly as his eyes were shut. "Hey, kid. You gotta wake up. Please." They waited a few seconds hoping for a response, Lara watched down on them in sorrow. To their surprise they heard- "Dad...? are you back...?" Theo mumbled out, slowly opening his eyes. Joel clutched him tightly. "Oh hey, sir. What happened?" Joel wiped his tears.

"Are you- are you okay?" Joel asked him with strong concern for his well being.

"Oh." Theo remembered what just happened, he thought he'd just dreamed it as he woke up there. - "My body hurts... why did that woman try to hurt me...?" He asked looking at Joel. 

He responded to Theo with "Because you're exceptional and she doesn't like that, kid." Theo smiled and slowly fell asleep in the bed. They decided to let him rest as he really needed it after that nightmare that almost occurred.

Joel turned to Lisa, making eye contact for the first time since the start of the games. "Thank you." he spoke to her.

"You know me, sticking up for the little guys. Always." Lisa said as she smiled and walked away. - "You can keep the weapon, you'll probably need it." she waved her hand in the air as she walked into the distance. Her words resonated on Joel, sticking up for the little guys, she did with him at work all the time. She stuck by him always when the powerful bosses were always pushing down on him and abusing him. He knew he could stick by her, why did he ever doubt it? because he trusted Thomas' words, about how he didn't know anyone and look what Thomas had done.

"I heard shouting so I came running. If you allowed me to sleep closer I could've helped quicker. But I understand your caution, I'll be heading back." Peter spoke briefly before turning and heading away towards his own sleeping area.

"Why weren't you on watch? What happened?" Joel said through gritted teeth towards Lara who looked down at him with wet eyes.

"I'm sorry, I fell asleep. I'm so sorry." her voice shook as she spoke, on the verge of crying again. - "I didn't mean to, I just got distracted by my thoughts."

"Well now you know why we keep the night watch. I'll take over from here, god knows I can't sleep anymore." He got off the bed next to Theo and moved to the other bed, sitting down in it and slumping down the middle as the bed had a massive dent in it. - "That's just great."


Chapter End Notes:

I posted this early because I'm busy tomorrow, so enjoy regardless!