- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Will be a short little 3-4 chapter thing I wanted to do because I was feeling absurdly big Alien ladies. Don't really expect anything clever beyond that.

First Contact. It was the subject of many science fiction stories through the ages. Since humankind first looked to the stars and dared to wonder if they were alone in the galaxy. If life on the fragile blue and green orb drifting in the void was all there was, or if there was something else out there. Some treated the question with terror and horror, imagining beings twisted and animal beyond our scope of reckoning. Others viewed them through a lens of humanity, beings not so different from us. All speculation. All guessing and grasping at threads with no evidence. It was like Schrodinger's Cat. When unobserved, there existed aliens and yet there were also no aliens. So long as the box remained closed both these realities existed. 

 

So when at last this box was opened and the answer was given, it shook the world. Upon the fringes of our perception beyond the solar system the contents of that cosmic cat box came. It emerged seemingly from nowhere, no prior warning given to the world. It was glimpsed first with our finest instruments, though eventually it resembled a purple star in the sky. The sun reflected off of a vast purple surface and in turn the glow appeared to people on Earth as the appearance of a new star. One that was getting brighter everyday. 

 

It was artificial. It was not a natural construction. Every scientist that had studied the images or readings agreed that this unidentified object was not an asteroid or rogue planet. It appeared to be a vessel. An incredibly vast vessel. It was difficult to judge the scale accurately but the numbers placed the vessel as the size of the moon that orbited Earth. It was such a vast construction that it had many redo their math. By all laws of physics known on Earth something that large shouldn’t have been possible. Yet it was not only possible, it was getting closer and closer to Earth. 

 

It stopped at every planet along the solar system, usually for a week or two at a time. A time in which people attempted to find some signal, or some means of communication. In more military circles, the nations of the world were calculating the possibility of defense from it. Threats from space were something out of science fiction until recently. Far and distant and unlikely compared to threats on earth. As such there were no real methods devised that could defend against something from space, certainly nothing as big as the moon. If whatever this was had hostile intentions, it was unsettlingly becoming apparent there was no way humankind could defend itself. 

 

The weeks dragged on into months. The vessel from beyond leisurely made its way to all of the outer planets in the orbit of the Sun, the purple star in the sky above Earth darting through the night sky. By the time it hit Mars there was a mix of hopeful optimism and dread. Some on Earth believed first contact would elevate the species. Some believed that it would inevitably be humans fighting against some alien menace. The romantic depictions of science fiction were no comfort for many as observational facilities watched the ship orbit Mars. Mars was in its closest passage to Earth as well. So it was fairly easy to see. 

 

The ship over Mars remained there for a few weeks before drifting toward Earth. All attempts at communication had failed thus far. Satellite signals either bouncing off the hull or just not something picked up. Radio frequencies were doing no better. Riots and preaching of the end times became more frequent as the purple star grew brighter and brighter. Soon enough it was near the orbit of the moon and it was not simply a star. People could make out the smooth angular shape of the vast vessel. An impossible construction, a mega structure as far as many were concerned. 

 

It stopped just past the orbit of the moon. Something that caused issues with the tides upon the world as this new vast stellar object played with the delicate balance of gravity. Soon after it positioned itself there, pulses of light could be seen from the vessel, gleaming blue lights passing over the surface of the planet. Almost like a screening or a scan. The blue light didn’t seem to harm anyone but it was… vast in area covered. Whole continents were bathed in the light as the Earth rotated. A field of blue washed over the world for two days. Two rotations. It didn’t cause any harm or damage beyond waking some people in the night. Still, no communication was coming from the vessel. 

 

After the scan there were a couple days that followed where there seemed to be no activity from the vessel. It hovered where it was and maintained its position while people speculated and wondered. The attempts to make contact were still met with failure despite how close the ship was to the world. No signal was responded to from Earth despite the near constant attempts. Indeed there was just an eerie silence that met every attempt at communication, as though their attempts were beneath notice. 

 

After those couple of days was when First Contact was made in earnest. It was in a way no other would have imagined it. A pillar of blue light lanced down from the heavens. It struck the surface of the world in the middle of Europe, like the finger of some distant god striking the French countryside. It was sudden and without warning, visible even across the ocean and certainly upon the rest of the continent. A dark outline was visible in this column of blue light. The light flickered out and left behind a figure. 

 

Calling the entity a figure was… almost laughable. A landmass. A living moving landmass that towered far into the sky. It cast a shadow that caught land for untold miles. The ground where the ray of light had struck was completely barren. Yet what commanded the most attention was the figure. The being that was the inhabitant of the ship that had captured the minds of so many on Earth. 

 

A pair of heavy white and black boots had their treads digging deep into the soil, every shift or minor movement something that could be felt in the shuddering of the Earth itself. The figure was clad in a white and black bodysuit of sorts. It revealed a form that appeared… female to some degree. The curves were all there and suggested a female form as far as humans understood it. Her face and features were hidden behind a helmet with a breathing apparatus upon it. In one gloved hand she was holding a smooth metal box by a handle, in the other she was holding some manner of handheld device. 

 

Needless to say the whole of the countryside was in a panic. No, the whole of the country and continent was in a panic as they looked up to this being that towered dozens upon dozens of miles high. People in the smaller towns around where she was standing were trying to flee or run but it was like microbes trying to flee across a floor from a person. They weren’t even something likely visible to the enormous being. 

 

Then she took her first step. The alien’s booted foot lifted up over a section of the countryside, the sound of her foot moving through the air whooshing overhead for countless people. Her tread darkened out the sky for thousands below, bits of dirt the size of boulders and debris raining down upon the places it passed over. People screamed and ran and drove and did whatever they could to try and escape, but they might as well have stood still for all the good it did them. The vast unfathomable sky of the boot came down all the same, thundering upon the ground. 

 

The step sent out shockwaves felt far beyond where she had just stepped upon. The ground cracked beneath her in a way that was probably hard for her to notice but easy for those beneath her to see. Fissures opened up and people and buildings fell in them. The shockwave of impact blasted many people from within miles of the boot’s impact, completely obliterating them in an instant. The sound itself was louder than any bomb going off, rupturing eardrums and shattering glass for miles and miles out. 

 

All from just one step. One single step of this alien upon the world. 

 

More steps soon followed, the towering alien making her way across France and toward Germany. Every step left a scar on the surface, ending the lives of any beneath it or around it. They didn’t even have time to scramble the militaries of their nations. She walked and by walking she visited untold levels of destruction underfoot, damages militaries could only dream of causing to an enemy. The attention of her helmet visor seemed to be on the handheld device in her hand. No thought was given to whatever she was trampling underfoot, or in this case who she was trampling. 

 

She made her way toward Berlin, near the suburbs of the city. It had taken her about a minute from landing to travel there. A single minute was all it took to cross the distance between countries. The alien brought the box she was holding in one hand toward the suburbs ahead of her, homes and businesses swallowed up in her vast looming shadow. As with the countryside people tried to flee and run but it was just as futile. There was no running, not from something this big. 

 

She flicked a switch on the box and the bottom of it seemed to slide open. People watched as four metal poles extended from the corners of the bottom of the box, spearing into the ground. The impact of the poles was enough to shake the ground, tearing through asphalt and buildings like they were paper. The looming shadow of the bottom of the metal device loomed above, a whirring noise starting to rise in volume. 

 

Bright beams of blue light shot out from the bottom of the box and lanced into the ground. Those struck by the rays were just instantly vaporized. Those standing away from them scrambled back from the lasers as they sliced into the ground. The ground was scarred and cut into, the beams moving and starting to cut more. People found themselves scrambling to get out of the paths of the lasers, screaming as homes and vehicles were destroyed. People disintegrated. Land completely devastated. The beams were merciless. They were weapons of doom unlike anything anyone could have envisioned. 

 

Eventually the beams flickered out and when they did some noted that they were boxed in. Sectioned off. Deep crevices had been dug by the lasers and formed twelve large cubes of land beneath the metal box. Which started to descend. There was no way to even try and run now. Everyone was trapped upon the cubes cut out by the lasers as the open bottom of the box came closer and closer. The woman meanwhile wasn’t even observing it, she was just checking the handheld device seemingly. 

 

Sheets of metal sliced down and filled the sections that had been dug perfectly. Everyone in each cube, thousands of people, were walled off from one another as the ground shook and shuddered. The sections of ground were being lifted up into the metallic box. A full square mile of terrain was being hoisted up into the box, the bottom sealing once it was done. Strange blue lights flickered within the enclosed prisons the people found themselves, trapped and cut off from the outside world. 

 

The alien reached down and gripped the handle, hoisting it up out of the ground. The poles retracted back inside and there was a green light on the box that flickered on. She looked upward and a column of blue light lanced down upon her just like when she had arrived. It enveloped the vast miles tall form of the alien and when it flickered out she was gone. As though she had never been standing there. She was gone and she had taken thousands with her. 

 

All in all First Contact lasted all of five minutes. Five minutes from landing to leaving back to the ship. Not a single weapon had managed to be fired up at the woman and many believed it honestly wouldn’t have mattered given the vast difference in scale. Scars had been dug upon the Earth, casualty totals were being estimated already. Tens of thousands at least. Hundreds of thousands most likely from her little walk from France to Berlin. Too many questions were in the heads of all those on Earth. Why did this alien do that? Who was she? What was she? Questions with no answers for now. But all noted something unsettling as well. 

 

The ship was still in orbit.