- Text Size +

 

Journal entry number 8

August 11th

 

it has been a while since I have wrote (note the date).

Not much has happened. I went to see Lyn those five times. My arm is fine now. I am back to practicing with my daggers and a bit of hand to hand combat. But that is not very exciting. People came to take Summer away and failed. And I went in search of a birthday present for her.

 

So on July 15th, Summer and I were out shopping in the market when a group of Burtintuf soldiers, clad in our countries lovely colors, came to take her home. I was ahead of her when they stopped her, so I just continued walking without noticing. When I did notice I turned to find her arguing with four of them.

I could not hear the conversation, but Summer filled me in on what was said. They had come demanding that she return, to which she responded with a curt “no” and tried to walk away. The soldiers persisted, asking, “What about your bodyguard? Where is she?”

“I have not seen Clare in weeks. Now if you would please excuse me.” That was when I arrived on scene.

“Lady Summer, can we go home now?” I asked never showing my face to the soldiers.

“Of course, Tara.” She curtsied to the soldiers and I tried to mimic her.

“Lady Summer!” one of the soldiers said forcefully. “If you do not come with us, we will take you back.”

“You shall do no such thing. I am not a criminal and I out rank you. You have no authority here and so I shall not obey. Nor does Prince Donald or whoever it is that wants me home. Now good day.” Summer had become stern. It was hard to argue with her when she got like that. (Although I never argue with her so I would not really know). The soldiers flinched.

I started pulling her away as a child might. The soldiers just stood dumbly, watching us leave. When we were out of sight and ear shot, I broke down laughing.

“What are you laughing about? It is not funny to have to talk to them.”

“Well, when four trained soldiers are scared of a seventeen year old girl and a child, not that I had any part in all that, I would call that funny. I mean, did you see their faces. I bet they wet themselves.” Summer gave me a playful scowl. “Oh come on. You have to think it was a little funny.”

She only ruffled my hair in response.

In the following weeks the soldiers talked to her often and each time they failed in their duty to bring her home.

 

Summers birthday is on the 27th of August, and so, I got her a gift. She seems bored of life with commoners. Not that she looks down on them or any thing like that, she just is educated to a much higher level then them. So I left the city of Freta, for four days, to visit the city of Silmonta. There I visited the University in which is the city's main attraction.

I set up a meeting with Renee, the Dean of the University. If I wanted to get Summer into the school, which I did, she was who I needed to see.

When I entered her office, she was surprised by my age (cough).

“Oh my. When they said that I had a meeting today, they did not say it was with someone so... young.” She looked annoyed.

I bowed deeply (I am really bad at curtsying). “My apologies for the misunderstanding. I was in no way trying to deceive you. I will not waste your time, I promise.”

“I apologize for my rude behavior just now. What can I do for you?”

“I am here on behalf of my mistress. She wishes to attend your school.” I pulled out a resume that I had put together for her. “She has studied under...” I listed off about twenty names, all of which I assumed were top notch. The Dean looked surprised.

“That is quite the list of teachers. I personally know many of them. May I ask who is your mistress?”

“Of course. Lady Summer is the niece of Burtintuf's king.”

The Dean's expression hardened again. “Why would she want to go to our school?”

“Lady Summer has been living in your country all summer. She wants nothing to do with Burtintuf.”

“I see. Well, it is not like I can deny her entrance. She is plenty capable by the sound of it.”

I bowed again. “On her behalf, I thank you.”

The Dean walked around her desk to stand in front of me. She handed me the papers she had been holding. “Have her sign these, and return them on the first of September. Now, if you will excuse me.” She walked around me, opening the door so that I could leave.

“One more thing before I go.” She rolled her eyes, thinking I would not see, or understand.

“What is it?”

“Well, I can not be following Lady Summer around all day while she is studying.” The Dean nodded in agreement. “I was wondering if you had a job opening at the school that I could fill. Maybe as a maid in the rooms or a servant in the kitchens or in the halls or where ever. I could work with really low pay if that is a problem.”

She sighed. “Sure. I will get you a job as a body servant. You will be assigned to a group four girls who are rooming together. I will make sure Lady Summer is among them.

My heart skipped a beat. It was perfect. “Thank you so very much.”

“Yes. Yes. Be here tomorrow for job training.”

 

Training was simple enough. I needed to know how to address people, how to act, how to dress the girls in their school uniforms, what my schedule would be, and a few other things. A lot of it I already knew from being Summer's maid prior to this.

I was given a uniform, and was very lucky that they thought I was still growing, because they gave me ones that would grow with me.

Then I made my way back to Summer. When she asked me where I had been, I told her it was a surprise.