- Text Size +
June 21st

I never would have guessed my future would hold what came next…

We ran away. And not just to the theater and park. No. we actually left the country. Somewhat foolish I know, seeing what is out there, but necessary.

Why? That is a good question.

Simple.

It started the day after the fair. I was released from my confines. Summer had explained to her parents that she had wanted to get out of the house and that I was just following orders, which was true, at least in the beginning.

Her parents (mostly her Father) told me to make sure that she never left the house unless there was an appointment already set. And so we fell back into the dull routine.

That is, until the 20th, when Summer asked if we could go out that weekend. Her father blew up in a great fury.

“You know what this weekend is. You know that the Royal Family is coming to visit. Of course you can’t leave. You have to appeal to Donald. And you can’t do that if you are not here.”

His rage lasted the night and into the next day. Summer’s mother kept silent, but that is normal. She always watches everything silently. Summer once told me that her last name was Remjod, which means “observer”. Supposedly she can see everything that is in front of her.

So, because of his rage, Summer’s father confined us to her room the following day. There we talked.

“What did your father mean when he said ‘appeal to Donald’?” I asked.

“Well Donald, or rather Prince Donald, is the man my father wants me to marry.”

“Marry!? But you two are related.”

“Not by blood. The king’s father and my mother’s mother married after both the king and my mother were born. Donald and I are not really related.”

“But… you don’t love him.”

“Yes, but nobody cares—”, she started to cry.

“I do. You know I do.”

“Yes but you can’t change anything.” That stumped me. It was very true, so we thought.

We talked for a while longer about less depressing things. Summer decided to go to bed early because the Royals were coming the next day.

In the morning everyone was bustling around, trying to prepare for the Royal visit. I helped Summer to put on a lovely dress before breakfast.

We ate and the Royals arrived soon after. Summer’s father forbade me from standing near her while the Royals were near. So I was forced to watch the happenings from afar.

The family seemed nice enough. At least from what I could see of them.

The afternoon dragged on endlessly until Summer was finally allowed to leave. I followed of course. We walked through the garden.

We thought we were alone, so we did as we normally do when no one is around; we joked and laughed together like friends. It turns out that Donald had followed Summer and did not like that I disregarded the social boundaries.

He screamed at me for a while, most of which I ignored. He said I was forbidden to go near Summer as long as he was staying with her family.

I did not like the idea, but it was not as if I could argue.

Not knowing what else to do, I went to help out in the kitchen. My help was welcomed, but I was bored quickly. I easily spent the evening and into the night there.

But then I had an urge to visit Summer. I got as close to her room as was possible for me, and then shrunk in order to travel the rest of the way unnoticed. It took me almost a half hour to reach her room while at the size of three inches tall. Luckily Summer had me training for staying changed for long periods of time. I can now almost make it for an hour.

I slipped under her closed door. She was in bed. I decided, as to not startle her, that I would make the rest of the journey to her shrunk.

I did grow a little, so that I was half a foot tall. I am lucky that there were grooves in her bed’s legs. I scaled the leg and made the short trek to the pillow.

She was turned the other way, so I had to walk all the way around to the other side. When I got there her eyes were closed, which forced me to approach her giant beautiful face. My heart was pounding as I touched her cheek.

Her eyes shot open and she reflexively sat up. I fell over due to the earthquake-like jostling of the bed. She looked around and finally down.

“Clare,” she exclaimed when she saw me. “What are you doing?”

“I came to see you,” I squeaked as she scooped me up into her hands.

“How sweet of you. How far did you have to walk?”

“Oh just a few miles of hallway.” Her eyes danced with laughter, even though she did not laugh aloud.

“I missed you,” she said as she kissed the top of my head.

“And I, you.” I kissed her palm in return.

She placed me back on the bed. “Grow for me.” I complied, growing back to my normal height. She kissed me again, this time on the lips.

We lay down beside each other, silent. I don’t know about Summer but that was enough for me. Just being beside her was more than I could ask for.

And then something unexpected happened; there was a knock on the door. We both stiffened.

“Summer? Are you in there?” It was the Prince.

I found myself shrinking, even though I had not as my body to. I looked up at Summer to find her concentrating hard on me.

“Don’t struggle,” she whispered. To Donald she called, “just one minute.” She snatched me up when I was done shrinking (at about 2 inches tall). Fear radiated off of her.

She opened the door for the Prince. “Your Majesty, what can I do for you this evening?”

“May I come in?”

Summer paused for what was probably to give him a questioning look and then stepped aside. He mumbled his thanks.

She closed the door behind him.
“Please sit.” Summer sat on the bed. He sat next to her.

“your father tells me that you wish to marry me.” Summer did not say anything, so he continued. “You would help me rule the kingdom and bare my children.” She stiffened but not enough for him to notice.

Again she did not say anything, so he asked, “Would you like to start now?”

Before she could react he was pushing her back onto the bed. He is a decent sized man at 6’4” and thus easily overpowered her, especially since she refused to use the hand I was in.

Rage exploded through me. I wanted to kick his filthy ass. The only problem was that I could not grow. Summer’s will seemed to keep me small somehow. It became a battle between our wills. She was fighting to keep me hidden and out of trouble, while I was fighting to protect her from getting herself raped.

She was winning in the beginning, but the instant I saw Donald drop his pants my efforts redoubled. In that second I was back to normal size and my hands were reaching for his neck.

He fell back when he saw me. I must have been a scary sight, eyes blazing as they were.

“What are you doing here? I forbade you from going near her.”

“I am doing my job,” I roared. “I am protecting her from harm. You just happen to be the harm.”

Summer grabbed my arms, pulling me away from him.

“Let go. He almost raped you. That is against the law even for Royals.” I was PISSED (and rightfully so).

“Clare. Clare, stop. He is not drunk. That means that Father gave his consent for this. That makes it perfectly legal.”

“What!?” I turned to her. A tear ran down her cheek and there was hurt in her eyes. My mind raced. What was I to do?

“Clare. Before you do anything that is actually illegal (I guess I had not really done anything yet) let us go for a walk.”

That worked for me. We left the Prince lying on the floor, cursing.

When we returned, he was gone. Summer went to sleep while I kept watch.

The next morning I got called to her parent’s room. I walked in ready to defend myself from her, most likely furious, father.

He was not there. Her mother was instead.

Puzzled, I greeted her.

“Clare, I assume that Summer told you what my name is and what it means.” She paused. “I can see that there is a relationship between you two that goes beyond the normal Master/Servant relationship, or even that of good friends. You love each other, right?”

My eyes gravitated toward the floor. “Yes,” I replied meekly.

She walked to me and lifted my chin in order to look into my eyes. “if you could would you always support her and keep her safe?”

With more vigor, I replied, “Yes.”

“Good. Then take this and run. Both of you.” She handed me a purse with quite a few coins in it. “There are 35 gold pieces, a few silver, and a few copper. Put it to good use.”

We ran. We left the country and I hope we don’t return.
Chapter End Notes:
and now the real adventure is about to begin. should be fun.