- Text Size +

 

Hed finally done it. James walked frantically around his lab, quickly going from control panel to computer and back again, fiddling with dials and controls. The year was 2034 and James was on the verge of a great discovery, one which would shape the very foundations of our understanding of where we came from. He was a physics Doctor, one of the smartest in the field and one of the most ambitious. As a man, James stood about 5'11", shaggy brown hair, Dark Skin and was in his late 30s. He took care of himself most of the time however let himself slip a bit in these final months of his research. All the same, James was a handsome well-built specimen. 



Finally, he completed his work and stood in the rooms centre, staring at a large door way that at this moment appeared to lead nowhere. This was his life's work, his greatest project. Before him stood the first of its kind, a time machine. In James' eyes the past was a key to the future. Being able to comprehend where we came from was the best way of looking forward. 



He looked down at his hand, which held a small remote with a single button, moments passed as he simply looked down. Nearly 2 decade of his life was spent building to this moment. Fear gripped him as he contemplated the possibility that the device wouldn't work, that this would all be a waste of time, after all the very concept of time travel was only theoretical.  He closed his eyes, and taking a deep breathe gently placed his thumb over the button. As he exhaled slowly, he pushed. 



The lights in the lab exploded as bolts of electricity shot from all around, connecting themselves to the doorway Infront of him. The door itself lit up s sparks flew in all directions and a whirlpool of blue matter swirled within the frames. James looked on in awe, his heart beat fast as he stared in amazement. 



"IT WORKED!!! THE BASTARD WORKED" he jumped around excited. Then, quickly regained himself and ran from monitor to monitor. The portal was stable. 



James had set the portal to the mid-Victorian period America. He was familiar with history and had always dreamt of visiting pre civil war America. 



He closed his eyes, took one last breath and stepped forward into the portal, awaiting his destiny. 



As he stepped through, the energy gripped him and pulled him in, the transportation was fast and within a flash he was in the bright sun of and open world. However, due to an oversight something was wrong. Suddenly he was plummeting to earth, free falling down. 



See, James' lab had been on the second story of the building, a building that now did not exist. He fell, fearing every second, the wind too strong to open his eyes. Suddenly, though, he hit a soft surface and bounced down through a green maze, before hitting something red very hard with his legs, lodging them in whatever the mystery object was.  



For a few moments he was dazed and in shock. But after some time, he began to focus. Though what he saw only sparked more confusion. He appeared to be lodged in a giant strawberry, about waist deep, unable to get out. But how? what was this? why on earth would strawberries in the mid 1850s be larger than a man? 



suddenly the world around him shook violently as a distant thud sound in a pacing beat echoed. The sound grew nearer and nearer until stopping just as it seemed to be right on top of him. Everything was silent. He was unable to see anything being stuck in the bush. 



Then suddenly out of nowhere a gigantic hand smashed through the canopy of leaves and darted down with an incredible force, grabbing the berry next to James and yanking it high above. Then it returned, this giant human hand, again snatching another berry. Over and over the hand descended through the canopy, felt for a berry and the retracted with the little snack. 



Finally, the searching hand gripped the berry which James was lodged in and pulled him skywards. He was driven from the canopy with a strong force as the mystery hand yanked him higher into the sky. Suddenly he saw who this huge appendage belonged to. It was a girl, about late teens in age, perhaps early 20s, she had pale skin covered in dirty, and Firey red hair messily tied behind the back of her head. she was dressed in a work dress of the period with a white cotton bonnet covering the top of her hair.  



The girl was paying no attention to the fruit she harvested and dropped the small piece of food containing James into a wicker basket. For a few more minutes he laid there as berry and more berries were dropped all around him as they were collected from the garden.  



In this time, he tried to think what may have happened to him. He concluded that something in the time travel matrix must've shrunk him as it sent him back. He estimated that he was no more than an inch and a half tall. His lab had been in a facility in rural South Carolina so he guessed that's where he still was. And this girl before him was definitely dressed for the period he had selected. Now or he could do was wait. 



Some moments later the girl finished her collection. Standing up she hoisted the basket into the air and hook it over her arm. as she walked the world rocked from side to side for James. He could do nothing but wait in fear as tiny snacks rolled around him and smashed into him.  



After a short walk they entered house and the basket was placed on the table. the girl disappeared for a moment and walked around the room. then she returned and as she passed the basket reached in and grabbed one of the berries, only to then toss it into her mouth and eat it without a thought. she kept going about the kitchen, doing certain things, each time she passed taking another snack. Then James situation went from bad to worse as he was selected. One of her fingers was pushed against him as she directed him towards her mouth.  



Then he was carelessly tossed in. her breath washed over him. the smell of it was somewhat dirty, though it didn't smell bad. Dental hygiene was not a common practice in 1850s rural America, but all the same her breath held a somewhat sweet smell. Saliva coated his exposed body and suddenly a giant row of teeth smashed into the berry, very narrowly avoiding his leg. but the bit shook him free and he rolled across her wet tongue. 



The powerful grinders mushed the berry to a pulp as he frantically moved through the mouth attempting to avoid a swift death. Chew bits of food coated his body, his white coat stained red with the juice of strawberry and spit. His whole body coated in the aroma of her mouth. 



Outside the girl felt and tasted something strange in the latest bite. It confused her. Thinking it must be a bug in her fruit she spat the object into a nearby cup, and proceeded to examine it. She squinted at the spit-soaked insect before her, however as her vision cleared, she saw the figure of a tiny man. James stood coated in the muck of her food. Dripping the thick liquid of her mouth. 



Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped in shock at what she saw. The tiny James glared up in terror and anticipation. the girl looked closer and confirmed her thoughts. James went to say something but as he was about to speak, she lifted the glass high into the hair and bought the tiny man close to her eye. The girl looked at intently at him before placing him back down, standing over him with her hands on her hips.  



" I prayed to God that e'd send me someone" She spoke in a thick southern accent. "Ever since Jim Passed, I prayed" 



She walked over to the far side of the room and grabbed a chair, before returning and sitting at the table with James. She placed her elbows on the table and rested her head in her palms, essentially looking straight down at the tiny.  



"You see, ittle' one, my husband passed only a short couple year after we married. And out here on the farm... let's just say things get mighty lonely" He eyes narrowed in on James. "Your smaller than I was hopping tiny one, but you'll do, and you be a negro too! Perfect for a slave boy." 



With that she let out an evil laugh. This might have been another over site in his plan. James had not taken into account his skin colour when selecting a test period to visit. He had grown too comfortable in his progressive future that the thought hadn't crossed his mind. Quickly he reached into his pocket and removed the return controller and spammed the button. But there was another issue. It didn't work... 



James began to panic. If there was one thing, he really didn't want it was to be made a slave in the Antebellum south... Especially not a tiny one... And especially not with a girl who's already made up her mind about what your role will be to her... 



He pondered what awaited... 

 

Chapter End Notes:

He guys, originally I didnt mean for this character to be a person of colour, however I changed it towards the end so it would make more sense for people of the period to be cruel towards them and treat them as a slave. 
I know it doesnt make a lot of sense for a black PHD scientist to not know about the mistreatment of African americans in the 1850s, however I did it to make the story work better, so sorry for that. Hope you enjoy.