- Text Size +

The words of the coachman spurred Fiona to head into the Church. It couldn’t hurt to see what information the local Sister could offer her. The blonde walked her way up to the door and reached for the knocker, the metal shaped in the form of some angelic being. The sound of rapping metal filled the air, far louder than she would have liked and she raised her voice after a moment. 

 

“My name is Fiona, I’m an adventurer and I come seeking the wisdom of the Followers!” 

 

There was silence for a few moments before she could hear movement from inside and the sound of a number of locks being undone. At least four of them. The door swung open and Fiona found herself glancing down. Standing in the doorway was a rather petite red haired woman dressed in the black and white vestments of a woman of cloth. A crucifix hung around her neck. She looked Fiona up and down and stepped aside, motioning inside the Church invitingly with a soft smile on her lightly freckled face. 

 

“Greetings Miss Fiona, please, step inside and feel at ease. Under the watchful eyes of the Venerated no cursed beasts may harm you here.” She said. 

 

Stepping inside the Church it was indeed a modest affair. Only four pews were arranged through the church. There were three doors around the room, one was cracked and looked to be where the priestess had come from. The other two were shut and rather firmly locked. The altar at the head of the main chamber had a small statue of an angelic figure overlooking it, its arms outstretched invitingly. 

 

Fiona nodded to the sister as she seated herself down on one of the pews. The door was shut behind her and looking back… there were indeed a number of rather complicated locks that were put in place. The air of the place was peaceful but it was a peace in the middle of a strange and unsettling place. Once the locks were put back in place the Sister made her way over to Fiona, bare feet slapping loudly upon the well maintained marble floors. 

 

“I am Sister Ana, devoted servant of the Venerated and the member of the Followers overseeing this outpost. I take it you are one of those souls that intends to head into the city?” She asked. Her hair was a bit frazzled rather like she had just awoken from her slumber. 

 

Fiona nodded. “That’s correct. I was wondering if you could provide me with any aid or information before I head inside. There isn’t too much to go on after all aside from legendary vampire and probably hordes of undead.” She said with a little chuckle. 

 

“I fear I can offer little in the way of aid for you, some candles and holy water set aside for travelers. Information however, I can offer a bit of that. We have had a number of adventurers, both alone and in rather large groups enter the city. Not a single one has returned. Not once.” The redhead said with a weary sight. “It is a sad thing to be certain. I was assigned here around the same time to replace the Sister here previously. I have seen many come through here both young and old, famous and unknown and not a single one returned from those gates. 

 

There was a bit of unease to hear that. Fiona had always assumed some of the people had just chickened out and fled. But to hear Ana say it, they did indeed all go there. Just never did they return. It was dangerous, she knew that. But part of being an adventurer meant danger was around every corner. Just because others failed didn’t mean you would. If people believed failure was inevitable they would never do anything. 

 

There was a scowl that crossed the redhead’s face as she turned her head ever so. Fiona lifted a quizzical brow as she stepped across the way to the opposite set of pews. Her foot lashed out, knocking some very tiny shape from beneath it. She didn’t get a good look at it before Ana brought her foot down and rather *firmly* twisted her bare foot on the floor, dragging her foot back to make sure the thing she crushed was nothing more than a smear on the marble and her sole. Her pretty face was twisted in a look of disgust.

 

“I can certainly tell you there has also been a bug problem since I moved here. Sweet merciful Venerated, the Vicar had a terrible sense of twisted humor to send the Sister with a phobia to oversee this place. There’ve been dozens of them!” Ana said with a long suffering sigh. She produced a cloth and started wiping at the floor and then at her foot to clean whatever bug she had squished off. 

 

Fiona let out a chuckle. “Sorry, Sister, afraid I’m only good at killing the really really big bugs. Giant spiders and such. If they get any bigger though, might be able to help out there.” 

 

“For the sake of my heart let’s hope that doesn’t happen, yes? In any event. I can also tell you to beware of the village outside the city as well. Lesser undead often mill around there in the fog. Easy to get caught unaware if you aren’t paying attention. I haven’t been out there since the last time I ran afoul of some zombies. They generally keep clear of the Church, the beasts of the city are unable to get too close to it. It physically hurts them. Any holy symbol presented to them can weaken them as well. A number of adventurers went in the city with icons of the Venerated to protect them.” She said as she made her way toward one of the locked doors. 

 

The woman withdrew a wrought iron key from a ring and opened it up, stepping inside. She was in there for a few more moments before returning. She had a vial of crystal clear water in one hand and the other had a pair of candles. She offered them to Fiona with an apologetic smile on her face. “I do wish I could offer you more aid. Unfortunately the most I can offer is safe harbor for those travelers that pass through and whatever knowledge I’ve picked up here or there.” 

 

Fiona took the items and stored them away, offering a polite smile to the Sister. “No, no, it's plenty helpful. I’ll keep my eye out for any other adventurers while I'm there. I’ve also heard that this place is under an eternal night, that true?” 

 

Ana nodded. “That is indeed true. There is no daylight in this region. It is essentially cut off from the world outside the region. Normally daylight is enough to cast away the monsters that inhabit this region. But that is past hoping for so long as the curse is upon the land.” 

 

Would mean she’d be needing the candles then. She could see pretty well in the dark but she was willing to bet there wouldn’t be a whole lot of lights through the city. And especially not in the village around it. Fiona stood up at length and smiled to Ana. “Well then, I’d better be about it then.” 

 

Ana inclined her head. “As you say, Miss Fiona. Please, if you find yourself in danger and in need do not hesitate to come rest your head here. No monsters will find you here. All children of the Venerated are safe within these walls.” 

 

With that Fiona headed out of the Church. The door was locked behind her and she stared out at the foggy evening armed with some gifts and knowledge. Where was she heading though? 

 

A-2: Fiona explores the village

A-3: Fiona heads to the city