- Text Size +

In the end, as much as it was sitting ill with Fiona, if it could give her an edge walking into the whole place Fiona didn’t see any reason not to. Aside from the fact it was coming from a very shady looking witch with rather dubious reasons. “Very well. I accept your sigil, Maribelle.”



The woman clapped her hands together and let out a little delighted laugh. “Wonderful! You are such a funny little human I must say! Here you are, it will look lovely on you.” She held out the ring for her to take.



Fiona hesitated a moment before letting out a sigh, taking the ring between her fingers. She slid off the leather glove from one of her hands and then set the ring right on her ring finger. It was indeed an absolutely flawless fit. Also as soon as it slid on she felt a shiver course down her spine for some reason. She shrugged it off and looked back up to see the witch… but Maribelle was already gone. Nothing but swirling mists and the darkness of the night met Fiona’s eyes with the departure of the woman.



Fiona couldn't help but feel there was some agreement that had just happened that she didn't fully know the details of. A deal with the devil essentially only without a contract. She looked at the ring on her finger and pulled at it. She blinked. The thing was firmly on her finger, like there was no kind of tugging or pulling that could take it off. That was... rather alarming. It wasn't doing any physical harm but it was very clear her accepting it had some consequences she might well have to deal with down the line. For now though the blonde simply sighed and turned her attention to the matter at hand at last.

 

With her gone that rather left her free to head to the city proper. At last she stepped through the gates of Istrel and walked through them. As soon as she passed them however she started to feel… nauseous. Sick. Like there was some force that was taking hold of her. She felt weak as well. As soon as she passed into the city proper the world started to spin and she held a hand to her head.

 

“Gah… what…” Fiona felt her knees buckle beneath her and there was a spinning sensation. She fell forward, only just catching herself with her sword. She felt so heavy. She felt like she was about to buckle under her own weight it was so bad really. It was like a feeling of just such complete and utter fatigue that there was no relief from it. It felt like her very vitality was being sucked dry from her without any chance to stop it.

 

Perhaps it was all her imagination, but as she was dragged into the blackness of unconsciousness she could swear she heard cackling. Cackling from a voice that sounded like Maribelle’s.

 

To be continued...