- Text Size +

When the briefing was finished, the three agents looked at each other. There were things that needed to be discussed and analyzed. But they were hungry. Felix told them that he could have food brought in to the conference again, but Anya suggested going to the restaurant that was frequented by members of the CIA. It was a place a mile down the road. Both Felix and James looked at each other and laughed. XXX was very well informed, which wasn't surprising, given her position in Russian Intelligence.


Bond thought that Amasova’s suggestion was a good one. He felt that getting outside and into a different environment would help them think clearly. He sometimes thought that M became a little stagnant with his orders to the agents because he was stuck in his office 95% of the time. It could cause even the best agents, the brightest scientists, the smartest politicians to lose their ability to think clearly and outside the box when they needed to.


They hopped into a black sedan. Felix drove. No need for a driver. They would be there in a minute, and he didn't want to tie up an agency resource for such a trip. Leiter parked the car. The three of them were happy that the rain had stopped. The sky was still a strange auburn color, but at least there was a slight breeze. It felt good against their faces. 


Once inside and seated at a table in the rear, they ordered drinks. Anya got her usual Baccardi on the rocks, Bond his martini, and Leiter a beer. Bond asked him if everything was ok. Felix said that he was fine. He had given up drinking after his injuries. He had seen so many great agents over the years suffer injuries that took them out of the field, and drown themselves in drink, rendering them ineffective and useless for desk work. He was not going to fall into that trap. He would have an occasional beer, and that was it.


Their drinks arrived. They raised up their beverages and toasted their friendship, then drank. Bond thought his martini was too strong. He would normally berate a bartender for such a drink, but his time needed to be focused on the case. Leiter thought that his beer tasted funny. He smelled it. It was no different than what he usually drank. But like Bond, he needed to stay focused. Amasova thought her Baccardi tasted sweeter and smoother than she was used to. It was the best she had in a while.


But as they were drinking, an image from the past invaded Bond’s mind. He was going to dismiss the thought, but something told him that it may be relevant to the case at hand. He said that he had a theory, but first asked the others their thoughts on the case. 


Leiter said that for him, it was the global rain event. Never in recorded history has there been such an occurrence. And since it left the top scientists at Langley unable to explain why, it left him with an uneasy feeling. 


Amasova replied that it was the water molecules. She let them in on a little secret. Soviet scientists had spent decades trying to manipulate the molecular structure of water, but without success. They thought that in a situation where the Soviet military was laying siege against an enemy, if they could affect the water supply, it would make them want to give up quickly. But every attempt ended with water the consistency of jelly. So they abandoned the testing.


Bond was about to tell them what was bothering him when the server came to take their order. Since the CIA was treating, both Bond and Leiter ordered the Filet Mignon, while Amasova ordered the Lamb, and with her drink finished, another. Bond and Leiter had only finished a quarter of theirs, which she thought strange. 


Once that was finished, he told his friends that he thought the particles being intentionally propelled back towards Earth was the most troubling. It revealed aspects of an inside job. Leiter interrupted him to remind him that the satellites were built under the strictest security measures, and that the scientists were vetted and investigated to no end. Nothing was found. It was then that James Bond spoke a name that put a cloud over Anya’s face.


Colonel Rosa Klebb. Only MI6 and The KGB, as well as Russian Military and Intelligence officers with the highest of clearances knew the story of Col Klebb. She was one of the most decorated officers of the old Soviet military, until it was revealed that she was working for SPECTRE and working against the government. She was deemed a traitor to Mother Russia, who quietly had purged her records and accomplishments from the history books. Anya knew quite well the penalty for even mentioning her name. But she understood Bond's point. That even those of supposed impeccable character could be an agent of Blofeld's. Bond asked Leiter if the CIA could conduct a reexamination of the personnel involved with the satellites. Felix said no problem. When they got back, he would assign a team. The CIA had all the records of everyone involved, because many were foreigners working on government visas.


The meal came, and Anya ordered her third drink. James noticed that his and Felix’s were only half finished their first. Bond wanted the martini, but it was too strong for him to do anything other than nurse it. But the steaks were delicious, even though the two men couldn't quite finish their food. Meanwhile, Anya not only cleaned her entire plate, she was eyeing up the food left on Bond’s plate, until she caught herself. It had been quite awhile since she had Western food this delicious. As much as she loved her native Russia, the food of the West was much more decadent, and satisfying.


The check came. Felix paid, and they were heading back to CIA Headquarters. Within a minute, Leiter parked, and the three walked towards the entrance. Once inside, both Bond and Leiter lost their balance and stumbled forward, with no apparent cause. Anya asked if they were alright. Both said yes, that it was probably the drink from dinner. But she grew concerned. She knew neither of them drank enough to cause that type of incident, and at the same time. 


Once they were back in the conference room, both Bond and Leiter began to feel extremely tired. Anya knew something was wrong, and left the room to get help. She returned within minutes with a female doctor, only to see both men with their heads down on the table, passed out. She grabbed an urn filled with water and splashed some on both of their faces, trying to wake them up. 


Bond was the first to open his eyes. Anya thought that he looked like he hadn't slept in weeks, his eyes bloodshot and glassy. When Leiter woke up, he had the same look in his eyes. She and the doctor escorted both men to the infirmary. Vitals were taken. Both James and Felix had an elevated blood pressure reading, a slightly elevated pulse, but no fever, indicating the absence of infection. She asked the men if she could draw blood to do a workup, making sure that there were no pathogens in their system. Both men agreed. Once that was done, all three made their way back to the conference room, Bond and Leiter going against the doctor’s order of rest. 


When they were back in the conference room, Bond felt himself being troubled by something that he couldn't put his finger on. He excused himself, then found the doctor. He asked her if she had time to give him an examination. The doctor said that she would perform it, she just needed a few minutes to take care of something. Bond thanked her as she directed him to an examination room. 


Bond wasn't one to panic, or think that every ache and pain was the sign of serious illness. In fact, he had been berated by M on several occasions for failing to get his annual checkup and physical. Bond always felt as healthy as a young bronco, but ever since his final encounter with Blofeld at Piz Gloria, he had been feeling a little off. The tiredness, and being unable to finish his dinner and martini, plus the loss of balance and passing out later, concerned him. What if Blofeld released a toxin when Bond confronted him? It was very possible. The blood work would reveal more information. But an exam, especially from a young female doctor, wouldn't hurt. 


Within 10 minutes, the doctor returned, but she didn't look particularly happy. In fact, Bond thought that she looked worried. But she performed the exam. Measurements were taken. 182.88 cm (6’) and 12.5 stone (175lbs). Bond asked her if she did the measurements the correct way. The doctor said yes, and wanted to know why he asked. Bond said no particular reason, but the doctor wanted to be thorough, so she measured him again. The numbers were the same. Bond thought that wasn't possible. He took his physical last month, and he was 185.42 cm(6’1”) and 12.85 stone(180lbs). People just don't lose height like that. 


The doctor replied that her numbers didn't lie. What she measured him at was what he was. No doubt. She continued her examination. His reflexes were slightly off, but there were no abnormal lesions or bumps on his body. And his blood pressure and pulse were within normal ranges. According to her, he was healthy. Bond wanted to argue about her methods, but she was quickly called away from the room. Bond dressed and made his way back to the conference room. Felix and Anya had been going back and forth over the possibility that SPECTRE infiltrated the US Space program. And Felix was getting a little annoyed. 


Bond walked in at the tail end. He saw Leiter looking agitated, and Anya looking calm, the typical emotionless Russian. But he also thought that she looked a little more voluptuous. He thought that maybe his eyes were playing tricks, but to him, she was looking better and better. 


But Felix noticed an unusual amount of activity in the hallway, so the three left the room to see what was going on. Apparently, what had happened to Leiter and Bond after dinner had happened to several dozen of the male agents in the building. 

Female employees were scurrying back and forth from room to room. They were escorting the males to the infirmary. All of them looked exhausted and spent, like they hadn't slept in months. Anya pointed out that both Bond and Leiter looked the same when they saw the doctor. 


Bond looked at both Anya and Leiter, and quietly told them that he suspected that it was related to the destruction of the satellites, and whatever was released back into the atmosphere. She asked him why he thought that was the case, and he let them know about his checkup with the doctor. He was an inch shorter and 5 lbs lighter than the previous month. He used the American measurements to give Felix a better understanding of what he was trying to explain. He thought that maybe the doctor used the wrong calculations, but seeing the men from the agency in a similar condition as they were earlier, led him to think that the men would experience the same issue. He mentioned to Anya that she looked healthier, and a little taller, than when he saw her yesterday. She thought that he was joking, until she saw the seriousness in his eyes. All she could say was that it wasn't possible. 

Leiter had been listening intently to Bond, and he wasn't convinced that it was the truth, but at this point, he wasn't discounting anything. But remembering what James had said to Anya, he looked at all the activity going on, and thought that the women did look a little different. But he couldn't be sure that his eyes weren't playing tricks on him, or if he was seeing what his mind wanted him to see. 


The men who were affected earlier were kept overnight for observation. Their blood was drawn, vitals checked constantly, and what seemed like a million questions as to what they were feeling just before their incident. Bond and Leiter walked through the hall, listening to their responses. After the second man repeated what the first one said, the agents realized that it was exactly the same experience as they had. 


Felix didn't know what to make of the situation, but he was beginning to think that James was right. Maybe not the shrinking part. That could be explained as a different methodology between the US measurement system and the British. No, he was probably right about it being connected to what happened with the satellites. But they still had no idea what Blofeld hoped to accomplish with his plan.