- Text Size +

Phil had a fitful night’s sleep, tossing and turning. He finally woke up when the pounding of a jackhammer invaded his dreams. Groggily he looked for his clock. 10:00am. It took him a few seconds to understand what the time was.


He stumbled out of bed and went into the bathroom. He was suddenly overcome with the urge to get sick, and barely made it to the toilet. It was the previous night’s dinner. He wouldn’t order the ham sandwich again, he said to himself.


He decided that since he was already there he might as well take a shower. The water felt good, and seemed to knock most of the grogginess out of him. He finished, and got dressed. He noticed that his clothes fit more comfortably than before, not as snug and tight. He made a beeline for the kitchen. He needed coffee. His stomach seemed to settle down, so he had a light breakfast, which filled him up rather quickly. But he had to call Judy Wilson to check on a few things. So he quickly cleaned up.


He dialed Judy’s number. He wanted to confirm a few things from Veronica’s story. She answered, and Phil started with his questions. What was the family function that Jack Wilson attended? She told him it was a cousin’s wedding. What did Veronica and Jack argue about? She said that Veronica kept bringing up marriage, but since Jack had been burned three times before, he wanted no parts of another. How did Jack and Veronica meet? Jack’s last wife was trying to start a charity, and she contacted Veronica’s company. Jack had the connections to get it started. Everything Veronica had told him up to the point of Jack’s disappearance checked out, Phil thought.


Phil then changed the subject. He wanted to know what happened to Jack’s house, and the servants he employed. Judy told him that until Jack cane back, or there was definite news on what happened to him, the house was still in the family. As for the servants, they were all let go a few months ago. With no one living in the house, and Jack not there, she couldn’t justify keeping them on the payroll. She had a cleaning service come in once a week and take care of the house. Phil thanked her for answering his questions, and after goodbyes, hung up the phone. 


He went back to the police file. The servants had listed their home address as Jack Wilson’s house. There were no other addresses listed, and with Judy letting them go, he had no way of contacting them. He didn’t even know what employment agency they used. He would call Freddy later to see if the police had any additional information.


Although Veronica’s story about the wedding and the argument checked out, there was still just her version of events the day Jack disappeared. He decided to do a little surveillance at  Veronica‘s house. He made sure that he had plenty of film for his camera, and then set out for her house. He arrived, and parked across the street, but down a little ways. It afforded him a great view of the house. 


He noticed that the car he saw the day before was not there. He then waited. Surveillance was 99% just sitting in a car, taking pictures. It was boring. But the 1% he got to tail a target, and engage them in conversation, made it worth it. 


About thirty minutes after he got there, the black sedan from the day before pulled into the driveway. Phil got his camera ready. Veronica got out from the driver’s seat, while John struggled to open the passenger door. 

Phil had to keep reminding himself that any photos he took needed to be professional, but he found his eyes kept wandering down to her tits. He couldn’t take his mind off them. He just kept taking photo after photo of her gorgeous tits. Only when he ran out of the first roll of film did he realize what happened. He cursed himself. 


It wasn’t like he never saw a woman with big tits before. He tried to pick up many of them in a bar. He even slept with a lot of them. But, her’s were different. To him, they seemed to be calling to him. The way they rose and fell when she breathed was like a conductor presiding over the greatest orchestra in the world. 


He noticed that she had come back out of the house, this time with a cigarette in her hand. The way she deeply inhaled and beautifully exhaled made his dick grow hard. He subconsciously put his camera down, and just stared at her, his mind totally gone. He could think of nothing else but her. He just continued to stare.


A knock on his car window brought him back to reality. He turned and looked. It was a police officer. He rolled his window down and asked if there was a problem. The officer told him that someone saw a man lurking in a car, taking photos. 


Phil explained to the officer that he was a private investigator, and he was working on a case. He told the officer that he had his P.I. license in his wallet, and asked the officer if he wanted to see it. The officer answered in the affirmative. Phil gave him both his business and driver’s licenses. The officer compared the pictures on the cards with the face looking at him.


Satisfied that nothing nefarious was going on, the officer asked him to move along. Phil thanked him, and as he was putting his licenses away, just glanced at his one for operating a vehicle. Phil Swift 6’ 210lbs. Phil thought he misread it. He looked again. It had his height at 6’ and his weight at 210lbs. He knew that was impossible. He just renewed his license last month, and he was 6’2” and 235lbs. Something wasn’t right. His mind tried to explain the discrepancy as he was driving off.


He didn’t notice Veronica come out to the street until he almost hit her. Slamming on his breaks, he realized what he had almost done, got out of the car, and checked to see if she was alright. He was shaken more than her. She told him that she was fine. She asked him what he was doing there, but Phil had no answer, and couldn’t even think of one. 


She asked him if he was spying on her. Phil turned a little red and said no, but Veronica knew he was lying. But she played along with him. She asked that if he wasn’t there spying on her, who could he have been spying on? Phil stammered for an answer, until she ended his agony and told him that it was ok, she knew he had a job to do. And that she felt honored by it.


Phil let out a weak grin. Veronica asked him if he wanted to come in for a drink. Without hesitation, Phil said yes, and he pulled up into her driveway. Once inside, he looked around and didn’t see John. Veronica anticipated his question and said that John wasn’t feeling well, and was laying down.


She poured two bourbons, one for her and the other for Phil. She led him to the sofa. She got a cigarette from her purse, and Phil got his lighter and lit it. He just stared at her, the way she inhaled and exhaled, and he just seemed to lose all sense of where he was.


Veronica sensed what kind of effect she was having on Phil, and seemed to enjoy it. He became complete putty in her hands. She guided the conversation. She asked him about his life. Phil never talked about his life before college, but was unable to resist her. His youth, sports, high school, every girl he dated, every girl he banged, every one he treated like shit. He was utterly incapable of disobeying her. Whatever she asked, he answered, whether he wanted to or not.


Suddenly, Phil snapped out of his stupor. His head was a little foggy, and his glass was empty. He looked at Veronica, sitting next to him, smoking a cigarette. ‘Welcome back’ she teased. Phil looked confused. She told him that he nodded off for a little bit. Phil didn’t remember sleeping. But Veronica stood up and helped him to his feet. She asked him if he was ok to drive home, and Phil said he was. He looked her straight in the eyes and said thank you for the drink. She said no problem, and once he left, closed her front door.


Phil got into his car and drove home. He was feeling exhausted. He needed sleep. Once home, and fell onto his bed. He thought about Veronica‘s beautiful green eyes, and looking at the eye level made them even more so. He thought why should his eyes be level with hers. He was four inches taller. Something was off. Something….. and Phil was out cold.