- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I wasn't  intending to revisit this story. But I was having so much fun writing my Bad Dream story, that I felt the urge to revisit this particular narrative.

It had been two years since Sophia had made that fateful decision to give Jacob and Tiffany the formula. The twins were growing, each standing just under 7’, and were healthy as horses, with appetites to match.


Due to his injuries, Greg was able to collect disability payments that were 125% of his normal salary, and Sophia increased the number of clients she was making clothes for.


The kids were happy, but Sophia not so much. They had to wait to move into their new house for another year. The house was free due to the twins getting the formula. But that meant that they were still next door to Izzy. 


Now 11, Izzy stood almost 11’, and was still taunting Greg whenever she saw him. An occasional wink was enough to send Greg into a panic, and it would take Sophia a while to get him calm enough to not have an accident. 


Due to the injuries inflicted by Izzy, Greg had become extremely withdrawn and a shadow of his former self. He never regained function in his right hand, the bones never being able to heal properly. He had two types of therapy after all his surgeries. Rehabilitative, which was done to try and make his hand functional, and that was unsuccessful. The other was occupational therapy, which worked with Greg in learning how to do everything left handed. That worked. Greg was able to write in a legible manner, and soon using his left hand was second nature. He even learned to drive one handed, as he needed to learn how to operate things set up for right handed people.


But if Greg left the house, it was usually when he knew Izzy would be at school. And it was a good plan, unless Izzy was home for some reason. Then Greg would hurry to his car and drive quickly away. Then on his way home, he would cautiously approach to make sure she was nowhere in sight. 


He hated living like this, but he couldn’t afford another encounter with Izzy. Sophia knew this, which was why she made the decision to get the twins the formula. She didn’t want her children to suffer the same fate as Greg. And she stressed to them every day that they were to treat Betas with the utmost respect.


As Greg and the twins’ birthdays were about 6 months away, Sophia noticed that there was one other Beta family in the neighborhood. Everyone else were Alphas. She herself was beginning to feel very out of place. Jacob and Tiffany were growing rapidly, approaching 8’ in height.


Sophia made the necessary phone calls, and within a week, the Walkers moved into their new house. It offered a fresh start, and Sophia hoped that it would help Greg with his crippling fear. Jacob and Tiffany loved the new house. It allowed them to actually stand up straight. The last two months they had to keep bending down and ducking, which was very uncomfortable.


The house itself was a marvel. Tall, wide doors with handles and knobs that were level with 6’10” Greg’s eyes. Furniture that even he would have trouble climbing up to sit on. It was like that through the whole house. He and Sophia thanked God that the home came with implements to help them reach the counters, oven, fridge, washer and dryer, and the phone. This house was truly designed and built with Alphas in mind.


They were able to move into a small development of houses containing families made up of Beta parents and Alpha children. Once everything was moved, and everyone was settled, there was a knock at the door.


Greg froze. Sophia sensed this and answered the door. It was a normal sized couple who introduced themselves as Bob and Carol Jones. They looked to be the same age as Greg and Sophia. 


Sophia said hi and invited them in. Since the couple were already familiar with the house size, they talked normally, asking Sophia where they came from. 


Sophia told them that they came from the other side of town. Her kids, Jacob and Tiffany, had outgrown their old house, and that why the moved into the development. Bob and Carol told her the same thing, and that’s why they were there also. And that broke the ice with Sophia.


By that time Greg came towards the door and quietly introduced himself. Bob was amazed by Greg’s size, as it towered over his 6’ frame. He offered Greg his right hand to shake, but the best Greg could do was offer his left. Bob saw the deformity of Greg’s hand and apologized. Greg told him that there was no need to apologize. 


As the adults talked, Jacob and Tiffany decided that they wanted to take a walk around the neighborhood. The hadn’t had a chance because of the move, and getting settled into a new school. So out the door they went. Bob and Carol were amazed by their size. They were bigger than the couple’s twin boys who were 10. 


Sophia hadn’t noticed before, but to her, it seemed like Jacob and Tiffany were growing taller than they should. She would call the doctor associated with the lab that developed the formula early the following week to discuss her concerns. 


After about a half hour of conversation, Bob and Carol left, and the twins returned. They met kids their own age, and promised to get together soon. With nothing ready for dinner, Sophia ordered pizza. 5 large pies. The twins’ appetites were growing by leaps and bounds as they got bigger. 


Sophia also noticed that Greg looked a little more relaxed and at ease. Meeting a normal sized couple caused him to slowly come out of his shell. He had been very guarded since the incident with Izzy, essentially shunning any unnecessary contact with strangers. But he joined in the conversation Sophia was having with their new neighbors, and he did it on his own. She felt it was a great first step.


Once Monday came and the large school bus picked up the kids, Sophia made her and Greg breakfast. And after the meal, she cleaned up and waited for 9 am to arrive, so she could call the doctor.


And like clockwork, 9am came and Sophia made the call to the doctor. After spending what seemed like an eternity on hold, she spoke to Dr Peter Franks. She explained to him what the situation was and her concerns. The doctor asked her for a couple of minutes while he pulled the twins’ file. He read the files, and double checked the information that Sophia had given, and told her that she didn’t have to worry. What was happening was totally normal.


Sophia asked him if he was sure, and the doctor said yes. He explained that when children are born, their genes determine their sizes. Some have the genes of the shorter parent, some have genes that split the difference on the sizes of the parents, and some have genes of the taller parent. And since their father, Greg, is an exceptionally tall Beta, and his parents are tall Betas, the twins are taking after the dad. So they will be taller than the normal Alpha. So she could relax, they would be fine. 


Relieved, Sophia thanked the doctor and said she felt a little foolish for her concerns. Dr Franks said it was normal, and her being concerned was a sign that she was a great parent. With that, the call ended, and Sophia breathed a sigh of relief.